Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / So my uncle 20 guaged his head off...
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:52 pm | Edited by: unfriendly1

20 GAUGED, that is.

I met my parents in River Ridge yesterday, and after checking their
house for damage (it was mostly OK) I went with my Dad to his brother's house to check on him & my great uncle. They'd both decided to ride out The Storm, and due to the fucked up phone situation, we hadn't been able to speak to either of them since Aug 30th.

When we pulled up at the house, we saw a couple of mattresses on the front lawn, but we didn't really think much of it cause everybody in a 50 mile radius has shit thrown out on their front lawns after The Storm.

So we walked into the screened-in porch, and knocked, but no-one answered.. As we were waiting, I noticed a note scrawled on a tiny piece of notebook paper that said something like:

"gary. went to find new place to live. kenny done shot his self. call this # if you want your bird back. call this # to talk to the coroner"

The note was dated 9/2/05, which was the Friday after The Storm. It was signed "Laurence", which is my great uncle's name. Along with the note, Laurence (who's like 80+ years old) left us a key to the front door.

So we went in. I was a little apprehensive, cause I'd already been turned on to the smell of a refrigerator full of food that's been unplugged & fermenting for 2 weeks--and I was figuring a room full of blood & cerebellum had a pretty good chance of smelling even worse.

But I was wrong. The smell in the house wasn't too bad...and after cautiously evaluating everything around me, I decided to go into my uncle's room to photograph the death scene.

Photos of the room will follow if anybody wants to see 'em, but it's really not bad at all. From what I gather, it appears as though he sat on the edge of the bed and stuck the gun in his mouth. From that point, I'm guessing he probably pulled the trigger with his toe. He left a blood stain on the mattress at the foot of the bed, a splatter on the ceiling, and then a big spot in the middle of the mattress where he presumably landed after the intitial blast.

I'll have to finish this story in a few hours, cause I'm pretty loaded and I'm having a bitch of a time focusing.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 8:03 pm

Gary, from all the stories you've been telling I can't see how your entire future isn't gonna need special care. I hope you guys around him have lots of support and help to spare. I can't fucking believe this.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 9:32 pm

photos? i'm disgustingly curious...
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 9:35 pm

I've been curious as to how many poeple got out that way.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 10:34 pm

My condolences.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 3:14 pm

Oh geez, Gary....I totally missed this horrible news yesterday. I think I have to agree with BJ on this. Man. I'm thinking about you and gonna wish on some stars or howl at the moon or something for you. PLEASE take care of yourself. xo
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 5:20 pm

Man, that is messed up. Yea I don't even know you but take care of yourself!
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 5:21 pm

that's very heavy. don't know you but thanks for sharing.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 5:27 pm

jesus, you're one tuff cookie
good luck with everything man.
the stories you've been posting is the kinda shit
that no fuckin' author could ever make up.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Hang in there. I hope this board at least provides you with some outlet for your frustration, anger and sadness. Thanks to your braveness, we can get a little insight into this fucked up situation. Things seem fucked up for me right now, but this puts things into perspective. Thank you.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 6:37 pm

Damn ya'll, thanks for the nice words...but I'm doing pretty well, considering. They have lots of vodka here in Baton Rouge, and my Mom gave me her entire 90 pill prescription of Lorcet 10, so I've just been nodding out thru the tough times.

Pills & booze only go so far though, and I realize that, but honestly--I really think I'll be OK.

The thing that's gotten to me the most out of all of the storm & post storm drama was when I actually walked into my house and had to deal with the reality that there's a pretty good chance that we may just have to bulldoze it. To me, (and my girlfriend as well) that really hit hard. 3 weeks ago, I was in a home that I loved, and I (naively) thought that I would live in that home until the day I died. Now, living with the uncertaintly of not knowing if it's even possible for us to go back and ATTEMPT to save it is really fucking our heads up. I should clarify that it's not even the house full of STUFF that we lost (although that stings too) but to me, it's just the thought that OUR FUCKING HOUSE might not be our house anymore. It's such a bizarre thought that I'm pretty sure the reality of it hasn't really penetrated the parts of my brain that I've been medicating.

So again, thanks to all of you who have been reading my stories, extra thanks to all of you who've been typing back to me, and to the powers that be @ Goner HQ, I owe ya'll big-time for giving me an outlet to get this shit off my chest.

As for NOW, I'm going to pick-up some lunch @ this drive-thru hot-dog stand that I discovered a few blocks from me here in Baton Rouge. The sign says 'ALL BEEF CHICAGO DOGS' & 'POLISH SAUSAGE' so I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

When I get back I'll finish the suicide story (which has become EVEN STRANGER than it was yesterday) and I'll post some pix. Oh, and I've got a few questions about the some of the stuff I found in my uncle's house.

Until then,
U1
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 7:34 pm

I'm sorry about your losses.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 8:54 pm | Edited by: unfriendly1

Ok, back from an exceptionally excellent lunch at Al's Chicago Hot Dog Drive-Thru. Martel, I'll be sending you an email with photos and a review of what HAS TO BE the best dog in Baton Rouge.

Now back to our reguarly scheduled weirdness.

My Dad & I spent an hour or so looking around my uncle's house for clues, and other than the intial scribbled note from Laurence, all I found was an old address book that had a bunch of phone #'s scrawled in it. I stuck it in my pocket as a potential sorce of info cause we didn't have any idea where my great-uncle took off to after my uncle's suicide. We were concerned cause (like I mentioned before) Laurence is at least 80 years old, and he can't even drive anymore, BUT my dead uncle's car was missing from the house, so we kinda figured Laurence had either driven himself (uh-oh), or got someone else to drive him out of town.

We started calling #'s in the book asking whoever happened to answer the phone if they knew what the hell happened re: Kenny's suicide or if they knew where my great-uncle might've ended up. After a couple of hours of dead ends, I had to head back to Baton Rouge because they still have a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Orleans & Jefferson Parish, and I didn't want to get stuck in River Ridge overnight.

So this morning, my Mom called me & she said she'd spoken to a lady (who had left nola post-hurricane & is currently in Detroit) that identified herself as a 'house-keeper' at my uncle Kenny's house. She said she was hired by my great-uncle Laurence to help out with cooking & cleaning, but that she considered Kenny 'her friend'. She said she was AT THE HOUSE the DAY AFTER Kenny's suicide, and that Laurence didn't even bother to MENTION to her that Kenny killed himself. She said she only discovered it when she went in his room to check on him after she hadn't seen him for 1/2 a day.

Long story short, this lady is convinced that Kenny DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF. My Mom asked her what she meant by that, and this lady hesitated--but finally said that she thought that it was very possible that my great-uncle Laurence may have killed Kenny. She said Laurence was so old that he had 'good days and bad days' and he was 'in and out' of reality--and although she couldn't swear to it because she wasn't there when the shot was fired, she felt in her heart that Kenny would not kill himself. She said she left town because she was scared to be in the same house with Laurence...

Cue twilight zone theme.

At this point, my Mom was (needless to say) curious to speak with Laurence--so she tried to call some of his extended family who live outside of San Antonio. She managed to connect with the San Antonio clan, and they confirmed that they had flown to Baton Rouge & then driven down to River Ridge to pick up Laurence, drive him back to Baton Rouge, and fly him to San Antonio to live with them.

My Mom asked Laurence's San Antoinio family to call us back so we could ask him some questions, and HE WON'T FUCKING CALL US BACK. At least not yet, anyway. So, as of NOW, we don't know WHERE Kenny's car is, WHY he'd been withdrawing $5,000 a month from his checking account since February (his house & car were totally paid for & he was a total recluse so it's not like he was out partying) or WHAT the fuck really happened to him.

More when I have the energy to type it.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 8:57 pm

Sweet Jesus!
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 9:06 pm

I sure am glad you got Al's Chicago Hot Dog Drive-Thru. My god, do you ever need all the little treats you can get! All my best wishes that something approaching normalcy, or even a reasonable facsimile, comes about for you real quick. I salute your perserverance.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 10:29 pm

Hang tough, gary. all this shit is unreal.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 11:22 pm

gary I only know you throw the magic of cyberspace, but goddamn that's rough.
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 8:38 pm

Holy crap! This story just keeps getting weirder and weirder! I think you need to write a book when it's all over.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®