Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / another punk commercial
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 4:06 am

I just saw Blondie's "Heart of Glass" in a Mervyns commercial on TV. It was a commercial to promote an upcoming sale I think. Go to Mervyns. They play Blondie.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 10:41 am

well, blondie's pretty commercial by now anyway, eh?
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 3:44 pm

I saw Blondie shirts at Walmart, they were kinda cute,
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 3:51 pm

If they really wanted to make some bread, they should've gone with a bigger company.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 5:08 pm

I got a Blondie t-shirt at hot topic for $2.00. It fits.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 10:42 pm

The Xterra Stooges "TV Eye" Commercial was great, and another car company used The Sonics version of "Have Love Will Travel". Jim Rome's engineer uses the "Motherbreather" riff from Jesus Lizard as bumper music, and it really fits. Keep em' coming.
Posted: Sep 17, 2005 11:04 pm

"Motherbreather"

I mean "Mouthbreather"
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 12:20 am

RAMONES AND CINGULAR CELLULAR!!!!! I, OH, LET'S GO BUY A PHONE!
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 7:49 pm

and Blondie was punk when???
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 8:53 pm

Blondie are a pretty obscure band. I hate it when the corporates try to infiltrate OUR music.......
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 11:20 pm

Yeah. Fuck Corporate Rock 101.
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 11:28 pm

Blondie? aren't they on Flying Bomb?
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 11:33 pm

have you heard the speedies on that hewlett packard commercial. 'let me take your photograph'....i expect stuff like the buzzcocks and the stooges to turn up, but the speedies? great work ad. team!
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 12:00 am

i don't have a band, but if Motorla or whoever offered me 80 thousand or so bucks to use a clip of one of my songs...hmmm, (picture me sitting on my ass for a full year!) I would pay up my rent and relax.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 2:47 am | Edited by: razor shines

There's a Nissan SUV commercial with "Why Can't I Touch It?" that's been playing (in Canada, at least) all the time lately. Has anyone seen it? What's next, "Caught With The Meat In Your Mouth" for Mazdas?
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 4:38 am

Jerry Lee Lewis "Great Balls of Fire" was in a Applebees commercial I saw tonight! That's rock'n'roll though ain't it? Still, good music.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 5:35 pm

There's a Chevy ad now featuring a song by Sweet. The clip is so short, we can't figure out which song it is... (I don't know how punk rock Sweet is but I like 'em.)

There's a Nissan SUV commercial with "Why Can't I Touch It?" that's been playing (in Canada, at least) all the time lately. Has anyone seen it?
No but for a while they had one using "What do I get?" that featured a camping family and a bear...
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 6:43 pm

Sweet=SO PUNK! Maybe the PUNKEST of all time!!
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 6:59 pm

There's a Nissan SUV commercial with "Why Can't I Touch It?" Nissan has some wiseass in their ranks...aren't they the one;s who use 'Lust for Life?' (along w. every other product/vacation package/theme park in the U.S.)
A few years back Nissan had a commercial for one of it's suv's featuring the guitar solo from the Velvet's, 'Heroin.' Saw it twice in one night and never again.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 7:10 pm

Posted: Sep 20, 2005 7:13 pm

the Sweet are as PUNK as it gets. On the commercial, it's "Teenage Rampage" and it's supposed to appeal to your 'inner teenager'
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 7:19 pm

BRAY!
HAHAHAHA-someone got called a 'fruitbat'
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 9:37 pm

Lust for Life

I know I like how they cut out all the offensive lyrics- they leave in "here comes Johnny N again" and leave out "...with the liquor and drugs, and a sex machine, he's gonna do a little striptease..." Which, hey if you are going on a cruise, don't you want some liquor and drugs? Possibly followed by a striptease? That's something I'd like to see-- an Xrated cruise line. I'm glad the Igmeister's making some moolah, even if the advertisers distort the true meaning of the song, we know it, right?

I guess I thought of Sweet as more of a glam band because of their crazy threads and long hair. They do rock. I stand corrected, I guess they are PUNK!!
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 9:47 pm

an Xrated cruise line

(bray!)
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 7:27 am

I just saw a truck commercial with a remix of Nazereth's "Hair of the Dog"
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 7:36 am

supposedly the way to make it as a song writer these days is to pull gems out of your garage recording studio and sell through your agent to advertisers. Downbeat instros with dub flavors are the rage in euro car commercials aired in the us market. Always seeking a younger crew of startups to supplant what they think was hip.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 2:01 pm

The Sweet could kick ass on almost any punk band, and they are enough of a cult object that they could be placed in the same category as bands like The Stooges or The Buzzcocks. Although I would not be shocked to hear them being used in a commerical, as shit like "Ballroom Blitz" is pretty well known as classic rock.

If it was "Man From Mecca", I would be concerned.......
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 6:14 pm

The Cheater Slicks did finally get a song ("Should I?") put into a soundtrack, the film is only 15 minutes long though. The film opened in LA on Sept 10. Since we only heard about it a few days before it was released, we couldn't go out there, obviously. Apparently the song is used inside a strip club (how appropriate) and you can hear it outside too.

I wish (and I'm sure they do also) some car company would use one of their songs for an ad! Maybe we'd get some moolah out of it. The movie is called "Intoxicated Demons" We are still waiting for the DVD's the filmmaker supposedly mailed us two weeks ago.

Donkey I am going to have to check out that Xrated cruiseline bray at home. I love your brays.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 7:22 pm

Uhhh, I'll remind you all that what I do for a living is THIS VERY THING!!! I know, I know, we don't wanna be a sellout, etc. etc.

But, seriously, if there was ever a way to make easy money, licensing your music is it. The company I work for placed a song by this unknown southern metal/stoner doom rock band on the Sopranos, and all of a sudden, they're getting interview requests, having an easier time setting up tours, etc. So, not only did they get paid a license fee, but the whole thing opened a lot of doors for them.

I would love to push the Cheater Slicks on unsuspecting ad guys/brands!! And other good shit, too, so fucking EMAIL ME!!

joe@rumblefish.com
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 7:25 pm

The Cheater Slicks did finally get a song ("Should I?") put into a soundtrack,

COVER SONG!
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 8:30 pm

COVER SONG!

Oh yea I forgot about that. Joe I had to call Dana to get the song title and I don't even know what that song sounds like. Leave it to bazooks to call it out. SO WHO DID THE ORIGINAL? I am sure you know, just tell me so.

I would love to push the Cheater Slicks on unsuspecting ad guys/brands!!

Joe: I sent Tom your email address when you first posted about the new job... I will email Tom and cc you as a 'reminder'... he has a PC now so hopefully he'll respond... the underdogs of underground rock.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 8:32 pm

Can't remember the band's name at the moment but it was comped on Shutdown 66. Yet another great song they made even better.
Posted: Sep 21, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks Wendy.

I just emailed you + the guys.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®