Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Your best thrift store find?
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 1:55 pm

Mine would have to be a Sony '72 record player I got earlier this year for $40. It has a needle, original 45 adaptor, and 2 huge original Sony speakers! Sounds great! The downfall is that I can't find a replacement needle anywhere. It takes a special one. The one that's on it is fine but someday it'll have to be changed and I'm worried that I'll have the junk the entire system. Help?

My other great find today was a stack of old 45s that're all rather good. My favorite 45 in the stack might have to be The Blue Belles "I Sold My Heart to the Junkman" which is Patti Labelle's first group's first single from 1961. I love the title.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 3:58 pm

Probably a complete set of Velvet Underground LP's for 20p each. there was a junk shop in my town that has really shitty cheap furniture but each had notes attached making outragious claims such as on...
A tiny bookcase - "The actual book case used by Anne Frank and her family to hide behind in their flight from the nazis!"
A set of horrible saloon doors - "Aldous Huxley's ACTUAL doors of perception!"
that's the two that I remember.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:29 pm

a bang and olufsen turntable for $40
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:31 pm

Child's Tweety Bird shorts for about $1 I think. Best fitting short shorts I've ever owned.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:35 pm

19th century Faberge Imperial Easter egg
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:38 pm

'Stones demo single for It's All Over Now for 5, which is worth about 200 - if there's any rich Goners out there, contact me off-list and we'll work out a price ...

Other than that, my fave was a Pan Am Softball Team holdall from their tour of Japan in 1972, which still had the accompanying t-shirt with it! Got that at the old Salvation Army, first time I went to Memphis ...
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 4:47 pm

prosthetic leg
tidy whities w/o too much skid
unopened/unexpired package of Nutter Butter's
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:01 pm

you know that blue crushed velvet chair in my living room? $10 for it almost 15 years ago.

i should really get rid of that thing.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:09 pm

I too got a Bang + Olufsen turntable- a mid-80's Beogram 1600, for $9.95 at a Value Village in the southern suburbs of Portland. It looks and works perfect.

Sweet.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:12 pm

anyone ever fix a broken hinge on the dustcover to a b+o? i'd heard it's a design flaw and can't be fixed but it's a gigantic pain in the ass on windy days as the dustcover currently acts as a sail on my beogram.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:17 pm

Found a black t-shirt done up in the child crossing sign motif, but it's a pic of 2 people with their arms around each other and the caption says "Best Buddies". I've been wearing it since Monday.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Awwwww ...
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 6:30 pm

George Jones' first LP for $2.

A wholesale lot of 151 owl caricatures for $329.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 6:32 pm

got a brand new flowbee for a couple of bucks recently.
haven't used it yet.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 6:34 pm

Signed Schiltz Brewery Ad framed and matted given by the Director of Sales to his sales team. paid $8 for it.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 6:40 pm

And some FTD Florist radio advert singles.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:14 pm

i got a project alabama t-shirt (probably cost between $700-1200 at barneys) for $2.99 at salvation army on 8th ave in chelsea.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:59 pm

an evil ass ESHAM shirt, a Vinnie Barbarino coffee mug, a vcr that worked for about four months

since I live in a town with a lot of rich folks they give away nice clothes because they have one little thing wrong with them. A couple weeks ago I got a shirt and tie for a job interview, the shirt probably would have been at least fifty bucks new (i'm not a clothes guy but this is nice) but the button on one of the cuffs was cracked in half, for 5 bucks.

every thrift store in saginaw has at least ten bright red leather michael jackson/breakdance jackets.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 10:05 pm

bradx did you find most of that stuff around Manitowoc? I hear they got some pretty good thrift stores up there. Lots of good stuff for dead bums.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 11:29 pm

in austin, i got a wine-red matte satin robe/smoking jacket with a silk lining for $12 ($1,000 at barneys? probably). most comfortable thing ever. that's REALLY why i work at home. i don't like wearing anything other than this robe.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 11:46 pm

i found ike and tina turner's "i think it's gonna work out fine" at the garbage dump commissary store for 50 cents. i'm not completely positive but i hear it's one of their most rare lp's? is that true?
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 1:38 am | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I got a royal blue short-sleeved jumpsuit with red and navy racing stripes for $3 in San Francisco. It's the kind of jumpsuit Mr. Furley wore on "Three's Company," complete with a metal belt buckle.

$3 may seem high for such an out of style item, but this is a San Francisco thrift store we're talking about. They would sell you last week's free weekly newspaper for $1 since it's now "vintage."

I got a cool 3-button pinstripe suit in Davenport, Iowa in July for $5. That fucker would've been at least $100 in SF. Fuck hipster thrifters for lousing everything up for the poor and the slovenly.

It seems that the further you go from centers of hip culture, the better the prices and selection at thrift stores.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 3:57 am

an original BAD BOYS BACK 2 BACK 89-90 "U CAN'T TOUCH THIS" SHIRT
perfect condition.

I was in the St.Vincents on Kerchival st. on the Grosse Pointe Park/ Detroit border when it got robbed by some dude with a gun...Nobody got shot & the guy got busted like 5 minutes later, me and my 2 friends got to keep the shirts we had for free! I joked that I wanted to have "i got held up at gun point at the St.Vincents & all I got was this crappy T-Shirt" printed on one of the freebies.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 4:35 am

80% of everything I own has been purchased via thrift store, estate sale, consignment shop... While living in Florida, I found a early 60's black leather motorcycle jacket with a liner. Has that nice wear look about it. It was $1.00 at some church sale in New Smyrna Beach. I never got a chance to wear it in Florida being so God-damn hot and all. But now that I live in Seattle, look out! I look good and feel good wearing it. Now if I can just find a working Harley Davidson for $100.00 I'd be the shit. I also found a pair of never worn brown suade leather boots with light-weight rubber soles for $2.00. My fantasy is to find my future wife at one of these many sales I go to.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 4:40 am

an original BAD BOYS BACK 2 BACK 89-90 "U CAN'T TOUCH THIS" SHIRT
perfect condition.

Wow. Put that fucker on eBay. I hear theyre rare.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:05 am

Not the most valuable or the rarest record
but Timmy Thomas's first because I was on tour, it was in Spokane, it was the only good record in the store, it was sealed, and I'd been looking for it (pre-internet) for 2 years...and then there is a blue leather motorcyle jacket from the early 60s that was $15
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 5:08 am

one time at the salvation army in chelsea joe t and i found a whole box of new old stock beastie boys tour shirts from the 80s. one of them has a pic with them and run dmc on it. two of them say "get off my dick on the back". they're all pretty cool. i think we paid around 5 bucks for 9 t-shirts and a sweatshirt.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 6:53 am

april has forgotten the first pressing Gibson Bros "Big Pine Boogie" on Okra that she found at a Salvation Army in Manhattan. When Jeff Evans was asked about it, he said they only sold a handful of those records at their only NYC show.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 6:58 am

I have an old,small, kid's, wooden school-room desk we got for six bucks. The number stenciled into the back of the chair? 69. Awesome.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:00 am

Puchased at the D.A.V. on Summer Avenue, mind you...
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:32 am

a home made Superman Logo T-shirt.. in Chicago. at a HUGE trhift shop, every shopper was Mexican!!! cool! i then proceeded to sport it at the 2004 Black Out, along with a killer lime green Cubs hat.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:37 am

at a HUGE trhift shop, every shopper was Mexican!!!

there is a big thrift store in nashville that i had been going to for years and all of a sudden they started doing all the in store sale announcements in spanish......i guess it's cuz i was one of the few white customers.....
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:38 am

oops.......that was me.......
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:55 am

road trip down from Mt Saint Helans through Packwood, small logging village, saw sign PRESBYTERIAN THRIFT STORE. Inside the couple on duty was busy hunting spiders and inside three boxes of 45s the gem was Curtis Ware and the 4 Duos on an old Kearny Barton imprint (Busy Bee or the like). Not too bad a shape, lable is good, liked the name, added it to the stack. Guy at the counter looked at the stack and asked for $5. Books for $3000, only 4 known copies. Wrote to the guy who booked it at that value and he said, "well I'll decrease the value of it in my next edition." Norton has a DAT of the tune, but don't seem to want to promote doo wop. Sold it to a shop in Vegas for $500.

Then, last week in Colville at the only Thrift Store in town, found a Staples Singers 45 on Gospel and "You Got Personality" and a half dozen 45s from the early 50s by country artists like Red Foley and Lefty, Hank Thompson. one that books for $40 and it's on that "X" lable. Most of the others are in the $20-$30 range, nice shape, all from the same collection, got 'em for a song.

The bad thing about thrift store records is I've become a fan of Trini Lopez and that south african band director, Bert Kempher.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:30 am

Found a copy of the Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers L.P at a thrift store by my house, sold it to the guy from Taang! records for $100.

Not too much other stuff of value, but I have been able to find some cool paperbacks. Got a really nice early pulp paperback edition of "Catcher In The Rye" from the 50's, and a really cool 70's edition of "The Basketball Diaries" with a pic of Jim Carrol on the front. Big fuckin' whoop.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 9:32 am

things are gettin'
scarce ...

Blame fuckin' ebay
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 2:54 pm

i got an uworn looking light blue Playboy insignia pullover vneck shirt with a button condom pocket on the left side (the pocket is square and the size of a condom) for about 1.35. the old, big, toothless woman said something like "i was hoping a real playboy would buy this, you him?"
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 3:55 pm

Ebay...damned if you do and damned if I don't
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 6:14 pm

went to battle creek goodwill, got a full reciever-record player-tape deck set with big speakers and my prom suit, it had shorts that looked like what the mailman wears, for 40 dollars
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:19 pm

Got a copy of Tony Perkins' On a Rainy Afternoon lp. Pretty cool, mellow jazz from star of Psycho. My wife couldn't help but autograph it ," luv ya Tony," on it. Kinda sounds like Chet Baker.
Also got a copy of Blowfly's Oldies but Goodies.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

There are so many... I got my girl a miniature replica of a 50's style changing table that looked brand new for $3.50- (I think it is genuinely from the 50's also from the contents) and a little sling back beach chair also for the girl for about $3 also... We found some original Rolling Stones .45's for .50 each, Dana just happened to be walking by as the girl was putting them out for sale, literally, and they are in mint condition... I don't thrift for myself so much anymore as for the kid... but one of my big finds back in my "glamorous days" was a faux fur cow print halter top and full length skirt... I had it made into a mini, and wore it go-go dancing one time.... later I gave it to a friend and have missed it ever since. It was out of control... ! It wouldn't fit me now anyway! We have found a lot of shit over the years. I love thriftin' and Ohio is one of the best places to do it. I still have a collection of vintage furs (I figure secondhand is OK, right?-I rationalize) including a black wool cape with a fur collar which is awesome if you want to be a vampire for Halloween.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Wendy, where are you going? I never find anything cool around here... I've been reading this thread and I can only think of a bunch of crap I got because it was cheap.
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 8:51 pm

I got a Persuaders t-shirt at a yard sale thrown in for free because they were ready to call it a day
Posted: Sep 15, 2005 10:31 pm

I picked up my wife in a thrift store. She was eyballin the blenders and I was flippin through the 45's. Our eyes met across the room and the smell of mothballs filled the air. We bought a (broken) coffeemaker together and set out across the country, spreading peace love and rhinovirus. The rest is history.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 2:09 am

Actually, on that same above mentioned note......I really DID inadvertently join a band and meet one of my girlfriends via a thrift store encounter.
I met a kid who was wearing a Cramps shirt while looking around at used stereo shit, he ended up being in a garage rock band that practiced right down the street. The girlfriend didn't pop up until a few weeks of hanging out with these guys, but still.....probably never would have met her if not for that chance encounter. Crazing.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 2:14 am

WAY too many but off the top of my head: Big Star Radio City promo--mint baby!--in Florida Amvets. A 60's Bonnie Cashin coat bought at Portland's Goodwill Bins that I sold for $200 on eBay. Amazing 70's Valentino silk blouse...very Bianca Jagger.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 5:21 pm

Nick: I could take you on a tour... but seriously, the stuff for Violet I got at the Indianola thrift (just north of EN Broadway on the right if you are going North) I go to both of the ones on Cleveland Ave.- the Ohio Thrift on the west side of the street is better, in my opinion; there is also a new Ohio Thrift at the NE corner of 161 & Cleveland Ave that is huge (in the Columbus Square shopping center.) That is where we found the Stones .45's and I always get stuff for Violet there. I think the key to Thrifting is persistence, and the patience to look through everything. Also, different stores have dry spells... They get different stuff in everyday. I got a great bike (pink 2 speed with chrome fenders) for $40 (a little high but it was in good running order) at the one on Alum Creek Dr. (that is the biggest one in the city) There is supposedly a really good one out East that I've never been to, where my friend Trish goes... Also, some people just ain't cut out for thriftin'... you gotta be into the challenge of digging around... Also Rag O Rama is not a thrift store, it's where you take stuff you got at the thrift store to SELL!! Haha... I just say this because some of the more suburban folks I know (not you guys but chicks at work, etc) when I mention thrifting, they think of resale boutiques, not actual THRIFT stores. There used to be some good ones on the West side but I kind of stopped going down there because it's just kind of unsavory...
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 6:27 pm

"there is also a new Ohio Thrift at the NE corner of 161 & Cleveland Ave that is huge (in the Columbus Square shopping center.) That is where we found the Stones .45's"

That's where we usually go! All I see is a whole lot of Mitch Miller and Christmas music! I'm not persistent at all though. That place is huge though...
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Well, if we hadn't been there when the girl was putting them out, there is no way we would have been able to get those records. Someone else would have picked them up, for sure. That one I can usually find stuff for me and Violet but I am not the record collector, that would be Dana. So I never would have found the Stones .45's if I had been there alone. He shops books & records while I shop clothes, furniture, household and punkinhead (baby) stuff...
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 9:18 pm

A full drum kit from the 50's in near perfect condition, a pair of rainbow speckled PA speakers from the 60's, a full collection of Rod Mckuen 8-tracks, and a North Face high altitude climbing suit.
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 10:32 pm

I got a pair of patent leather Sigerson Morrison flats for $5. I think they normally sell for about $300.

I also got almost the entire Tom Waits catalogue for a buck an LP. Mint. This was at a yard sale, though.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 6:11 pm

Reading through made me remember a few more items: a crop art 70's style psychedelic owl, and a wooden shadow box full of tiny identically sized but slightly different in design ceramic owls (both hanging in my kitchen) The little owls sort of resemble the large crop art owl so they "hang out together." A friend of mine also gave me an awesome crop art rooster before she went on her life's journey to wherever. California, last I heard. I also got a vintage Decca amplifier (with a tremolo button) for $5 at a tag sale one time. I love that thing.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:20 pm

reel to reel player with louie armstrong tape and how to improve your golf game. very 1960's. $10!!! it works but i can't get the play button to stay down. i need to fiddle with it.

i also got a 70's wurltizer jukebox for free, but it wasn't at a thrift store. i work for an environmental contractor and we tore down the Heart Hotel in battle creek. there were 2 jukeboxes, but only enough room in the truck for one. that fucker is heavy! luckilly i haven't had to move it for three years. it also needs fiddlin.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:25 pm

i once found this little black kid. he looks so realistic! there wasn't a price tag on him or anything so i just picked him up and walked off with him. he cries real tears and screams "mama mama" and everything!
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:30 pm

Didn't you hear? You can't buy black people anymore.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:49 pm

Coulda been creepy washcloth boy.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 9:21 pm

...comes with kung fu washcloth grip!
be the first on your block to collect all 16 colors!
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 2:43 am

fender rhodes electric piano for $20 at a garage sale a couple months ago. im putting it up on craigslist this week, its too fucking huge and its just about the most heavy and impractical thing to own, ever. i mean its also one of the most awesome and beautiful things you could own, but jesus. i bought it from this shirtless dude with a mullet who clearly has garage sales like twice a month. it was in his "backyard" which was full of barbeque grills, trampolines, propane tanks, car parts, lawnmowers, etc.

what do you guys think i should ask for it? its in pretty good condition, a few of the low keys stick but it plays ok through an amp and its got the legs and pedals and actually looks pretty good. i was thinking 700-900? too much??
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 3:16 am | Edited by: bvalentine

About 3 years ago I found a stack of Tyler Kieth & Preachers Kids Romeohood cd's at a Goodwill in New Orleans. I bought one for .50 cents... I still havent listend to it.
Posted: Sep 20, 2005 3:27 am

Hans Vanderbock. 17 year old German immigrant who was standing by the book racks and "vas available for vard work". He mowed more than just my lawn......damn! Leave me a message in the drop off bin?- St. Vincent DeGreg.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®