Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hurricane Relief Funds!!!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:31 pm

Please send Donations to

Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Discretionary Fund
200 N Elm St
Searcy, AR 72143-5271

put 'Katrina Fund' in subject line of check

paypal to: trinityparish@yahoo.com

checks are preferred... paypal takes around 3%, but whatever you can give is appreciated and needed.

This money will be dispersed through Goner for those in need of funds.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:35 pm

Eric,
I'm really broke but would have to be heartless to not want to help out. How much of a hassle would it be if I sent the Goner Store free records, with proceeds from the sale going to displaced Goners?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:10 pm

How about clothes? T-shirts and jeans and stuff, for Goners who maybe didn't pack too much before splitting town?
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 12:13 am

https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/groupaction.2005-08-20.879455723 1

The money was going to fix my car, now I can't take the money. 100% goes to American Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Disaster Relief. In order for them to get the money, 100 people have to each make a minimum contribution of $7.50 then the money gets where it needs to go.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 12:18 am

Also, tonight at Dish, the Feelharmonic weekly event is accepting your donations of clothing, canned goods, and other essentials which will be donated to help local efforts to people who have been displaced. Come to Dish, bring some canned goods or clothes or whatever.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 12:35 am

Sure- T-shirts, jeans, esp NEW clean clothes...

records, too. Canned goods.

However you can help, will help. If Goner can't distribute them we'll pass them along to someone who needs 'em.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 12:56 am

so is it better to send goods (socks, underwear, tshirts, toothbrushes, aspirin, etc.) to the goner store, or is it better to send money to the church listed above? which would be the better way to help out the Goners in need? thanks eric

CT
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 1:10 am

Money is always good.

It's trickier to deal with STUFF like clothes & food, because of sizes, tastes, etc. But aspirin/toothbrushes/essentials definitely works.

But give whatever you can.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 4:28 am | Edited by: jaydavis

Portland Oregon Fundaraiser.

i used to live in new orleans and have MANY good friends hat are fucked now. i was supposed o move back down there on tuesday. this isn't happenning anymore. my going away pary has been turned into a fundraiser and show. we already have $500, and are expecting about $1000 to $2000 more. i'd rather send he money to goner cause i want warm food and some cheap beer to go into my friends stomachs soon. not when the red cross gets around o it. i hope this helps. my heart goes out to all of you. - jay davis
georgannette@aol.com
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 4:35 am

Just sent a little bit off to the church's paypal account. It wasn't much, but I met too many good NOLA people at dotdash to not help out and I hope everything goes well for everybody.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 5:50 am

have access to tons of free toothbrushes and toothpaste

it'll be in the mail
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 6:10 am

This is super cool what were trying to do, helpin folks out n stuff but the more i read about this hurricane, riots, babies dying n shit, FUCK THAT!!! the more depressing it gets, somethin good has to come out of this...I hope. I think planet Earth is tryin to tell us somethin. Hurricanes need to be goin to the white house!!
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 9:08 am

I know a lot of Goners went to Memphis. I am in Jackson MS, we should all have power by now. Gasoline is still hard to come by. But if there is anything we can possibley do to help you guys out. Please let us know. You can get in touch with me at gimmesopor@hotmail.com or 601-503-6655

Billy V.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 11:18 am

HHHHHa.. stop the fucking war in Iraq insted.. more money from the US goverment are going to the war for one day, and helping out in new orlenas area... that is so stupid
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 1:36 pm

Why the hell isn't anyone sending FOOD OR WATER down to those people in New Orleans??? I am so ticked off... I watched Dateline last night and the babies are dying in front of the camera. These people have nothing but the clothes on their back, no shelter, no food, no water, no formula for the babies, and they are watching their parents (the elderly) and children die right before their eyes! It's going to be 100 degrees today! What the hell is going on? I blame it on Bush's lack of leadership and blatant disregard for anyone but the fabulously wealthy... More people are going to die... It is so sad, I was crying last night... I am going to start a clothing drive, beginning with my own closet.
stop the fucking war in Iraq insted AMEN
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 1:51 pm

Would pre-paid phone cards be good? Might help people stay in touch when they're moving around a lot. Could they be sent direct to the Goner store or would it be better to go to the church first?

Thanks Eric and Zac!
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:03 pm

I couldn't agree more. This is homoland security? The damn government can't even take care of this situation, how are they to deal with a national terrorist action? The war in Iraq is b.s. I feel that this is a civil war on our own homeland. Christ almighty. Does anyone know how this looks to the the other countries? OUR pres. looks like a joke. Flying around in his jet. What is he personally giving up to help these people. And now they are willing to shoot and kill any one. Sounds to me like they are declaring war on New Orleans. As for formula and things for the children, it is very hard for me to understand why it is taking so long for help to get there. I know of someone who works for fema and was stationed in Baton Rouge. How come noone was at the dome where things looked more like an internment camp. The people who got out of this area are so lucky, if you can even say that in the given situation...loosing everything. This shit is seriously pissing me off. I'm gonna go to the store and by up a bunch of premixed formula, bottles, diapers, and send it to the Salvation Army here. Hopefully it will make it to the people who need it the most. If there is anyone on this board with children and are displaced from the storm-war, please let me know 920-242-2494. This whole think makes me f...ing SICK!!! God bless America and whatever is left when this is all said and done.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:30 pm

We're willing to help out with records and maybe even with some turntables (some portable battery powered, some not). We can also burn CDs and make tapes of anything in our collection (6000+ records). When we got married and merged our collectons, we ended up with lots of doubles and in some cases, triples and quadruples! We have LPs, 45s and 78s we're willing to donate, even if Goner wants to sell them in the store. We also have some clothes and shoes that we want to send. Just let us know where to send stuff and we'll get 'em out.

Having been in several tornadoes and losing a house as a kid, I feel for all of you. No one, absolutely no one, hesitate to ask for anything. We'll do absolutely anything we can do to help.

David and Erin (Toronto)
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:48 pm

Check sent. Thanks Paddy B and Eric O for giving us an easy way to contribute to displaced NO folks.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 3:14 pm

homeland security is simply in place to protect the government
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 3:16 pm

I'm really glad you guys set this up, i wanted to send money somewhere but i don't trust most of these charity organizations. Too much buracracy. You really don't know where your money is gonna end up. Thanks.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 4:51 pm

Me and Joeboy are gonna make our first Sonic Reducer at Filthy McNatsy's (September 10th) and all-NOLA night, and do a collection for the fund ...
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 5:36 pm

Brad's charity album got pulled. Unreal. This is what we got from e-bay
Dear amber-brad,
We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following listing(s):
4764336246 - BLACK LIPS LIVE @ WFMU LP - $ goes to katrina victims
However, your listing was in violation of eBay's Charity policy and has been removed from eBay. We have credited all associated fees to your account and notified eBay users associated with the transaction that it has been cancelled.
We would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.
Your listing(s) contains the following information:
$ goes to katrina victims
Description
im giving away the money to victims of the hurricane<br>
Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.
Please review eBay's Listing Policies and User Agreement at the following locations:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/policies.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html
For more information on why eBay removes listings, or to write to us with questions, please review the following Web page:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/listing-ended.html
We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Regards,
eBay Trust & Safety
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 5:42 pm

However, your listing was in violation of eBay's Charity policy and has been removed from eBay.

Ruthless!
We here at Ebay are Auction Gods, we know whats best for everyone, we do not want you to donate your money, for what reason...we are not to sure.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 8:16 pm | Edited by: Agony Bag

we're sending money and clothing. That's so stupid about ebay. Take care guys and hang in there.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 8:44 pm

Well they keep talking about the Red Cross, but WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY??? I haven't seen the news lately but I seriously hope SOMETHING SHOWED UP DOWN THERE!! Plus they keep talking about NOLA, well 80% of the STATE of MISSISSIPPI is GONE! They showed kids trying to eat out of the trash that is lying in the street.... It's just so fucked up. I am glad there are other people like you who care, Amber... I am so friggin' upset, it's almost like I have to STOP paying attention or I am going to lose it. I am too far away to try to do something myself- other than sending $$ and collecting supplies for when these people end up with some housing... Harry Connick was on TV this morning, he's hoarse because he's so pissed! He said he has a carful of water and the cops won't let him near the convention center! (I think he was going to go do it anyway, I hope he did! At least SOMEBODY was trying to do SOMETHING)
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 8:52 pm

At least Harry Connick ain't afraid of getting arrested, and we know he's armed! i hope he gets water to the people in teh convention center.

Wendy - when i was on the phone w/ corporate Western Union today, they, at least recognize both Mississippi and Alabama as disaster regions as well. They are reducing the cost of wiring money to LA, MS and AL by 50% if your recipient has an address in one of those states. They don't have to be in that state to collect the money. I think it ought to be free. But at least private industry and private citizens are stepping up.

I put calls in to Poland Spring, Deer Park, Arrowhead and all the US based water bottling companies (inc. Coca Cola and Pepsi, who make Dasani and that other one) to see if they'd hop on a donation band wagon.

A lot of those offices closed early for the holiday, though. Death don't take no holiday....
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 9:22 pm

Eric, do you know (or can you find out) if this church fund is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization?

I plan on donating regardless, but my employer will match 100% of my donation up to $1000, if the organization fits that criteria.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 9:40 pm

Eric or Zac or Paddy, do you know who we should make the checks out to? Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Discretionary Fund or just the Trinity Parish Church, or...?? Lemme know so we can gets this shit in the mail.
thanks,
-todd
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 9:48 pm

hey todd,
make checks to Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Discretionary Fund
it's a hell of a mouthfull

thanks!
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 9:53 pm

Hugh --- FYI according to the tax code, the way most churches are organized they all pretty much ARE 501c3's.... but wait for Paddy to confirm w/ his dad
(Paddy.... that church doesn't lobby politically or assert political influence does it? 501c3's can't do that is why i ask)
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 11:13 pm | Edited by: dale

A bunch of people in Michigan's thumbs "musician community" have been asking me how they can go about donating money. I've been stearing them away from the S.A. (even though they're the one's that sign my paychecks) and directing them towards the Goner one.

I've had to explain that though donating cash to the Salvation Army is nice but it'll take months to see any of it trickle down to the hurricane victims. One thing I do have to say though is that if you donate $ to the Salvation Army more of it will make it too actually help people (unlike the Red Cross who SPEND tons of money each year advertising themselves as the premiere charity and the place to help).

Stef and I will be sending off a box some essentials to the store on Tuesday, a check was sent out today. BlueRoot (the local arts and entertainment rag) are hosting a fundraiser gig on the 25th of Sept. Being a writer for them I'm trying to sway them into donating the proceeds to the Goner one other than to the Red Cross or the organization I work for.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 12:40 am

Theresa, I've sent you an email

I'd like to offer an apology to anyone who had to witness my maniacal outburst yesterday. My ego can be a very ugly thing. I know we all just want
to help, but this sucks so bad. I lost my temper. Sorry.

And a very special sorry to you, Dwight.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 1:04 am

i'll check into the 501c3 as i have no idea what the hell that is...
but i do know that these donations will be tax deductable - and a receipt for tax purposes will be sent to those who donate.
also, 100% of these donations will go directly to good folks at goner to distribute - so there will be no administrative cut or and of that.

now i'm off to see bbq & the demons claws
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 1:11 am

Both shows at the Main Stage in Green Bay this weekend will be giving a couple bucks a head to relief - I'll see if Timebomb Tom will be able to send it here.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 2:54 am

I love Theresa K. (though I don't know her.) She's always the voice of reason on this board, which isn't always available in a large supply when emotional issues arise.

I just volunteered for 2 hours taking donations over the phone for the Red Cross here at the office. My employer (huge credit card co.) set up a deal where we could use our call center to take their donations. The co. donated $100 in my name. Not bad, I guess. I had a couple of people get irate about Kanye West's comments. Very droll.

Anyway, I found out why the Red Cross isn't in NOLA yet. The Nat'l Guard isn't allowing them in there, even though the Red Cross wants in. The Red Cross would probably be more welcome in there than all of these uniformed people, yet they can't get in there. The Nat'l Guard ultimately reports to the Commander-in-Chief, so let me add another "Fuck You" to George Bush for getting in the way of helping these people.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 3:15 am

digress....

She's always the voice of reason

I am not giving Theresa K any such credit until she spills the "Motley Crue Throws Lita Ford Out the Apartment Window" story on another thread. I've been waiting over a month for this...
HEAVY METAL!!!!

And, Go Goner!

Thank You.
Back to topic...
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 3:35 am

She's always the voice of reasonI thought that was eric?
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 4:45 am

Theresa K has the facts but I gotta vote for Eric as Goner's voice of reason...I'm off to the Roche to see a crummy psychobilly band cuz I have nothing else to do.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 5:47 am

Theresa rules! Her photos are amazing, she's very well educated in stuff that reallly matters here, and she's kind enough to offer her advice for free. That, and she's a very nice person who obviously has her mind and her heart in the right place.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 6:20 am | Edited by: dale

I wasn't questioning that. I still think Eric is the voice of reason though.

Quote: "Eric is the voice of reason"
-James Arthur when the Golden Boys played here last year.

I agreed cuz well because Eric is the voice of reason.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 6:24 am

...and yeah...the Psychobilly band was crummy too...
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 8:37 am

Theresa K has the facts but I gotta vote for Eric as Goner's voice of reason
Okay, how about Theresa K is the voice of wisdom and experience? Will you buy that one? (No slight against her age or anything is intended.)

She put a kick ass technique for making a roast beef up here that would've actually worked if my oven didn't suck. For that alone, I must salute her.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 8:49 am

I love Theresa K. (though I don't know her.) She's always the voice of reason on this board, which isn't always available in a large supply when emotional issues arise

what about ME dog! WHAT ABOUT ME! I always got some werdz of fuckin' wiz-dum!
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 9:13 am

I still think Eric is the voice of reason though.

A select maybe...
I want to hear about Lita (who ain't got shit on Wndy O.) being thrown....!

Kiss me deadly, y'all.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:07 am

I digress again...
Apologies.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 2:10 pm

Okay, how about Theresa K is the voice of wisdom and experience? Will you buy that one? (No slight against her age or anything is intended.)

Works for me.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 3:55 pm

oh my.... thanks for the outpouring.... i luv y'all too.
there's enough reason to go around

as for hurrican relief... my two cents

1) right NOW, getting money directly to your friends is paramount. the fund set up through Paddy's dad's church is the fastest way

2) long run, aid does need to get into NOLA and elsewhere and as i witnessed in NYC during 9/11, the Salvation Army is one of those direct, in the trenches groups

3) the Red Cross is probably the most visible and trusted organizations, but dollar-for-dollar, spends the smallest percentage of your donation on aid. as dale said, the Red Cross spends a LOT of money on its own advertising and promotion. that money comes out of the dollars that come in from the public.

but they'll all need money throughout the probably years-long process it will take to rehab NOLA.

oh yeah and FUCK GEORGE W and the National Guard for keeping the Red Cross out. now that halliburton has the rebuilding contract, can you just get your goon squad out of the way?
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 5:33 pm

I know this is way too early to think about, but what about funding the actual rebuilding of New Orleans, to make sure it comes back and comes back to be the place it was in some semblance? I know we gotta save everyone first and get them stable, but there will be a day when the water is all out and people will be poised on the edges to redevelop...what then? The heart and soul is living on the floor of the Astrodome or still trying to get saved off a rooftop in Treme.

How can we make sure some of our money goes back into making NOLA be NOLA again?
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 5:44 pm | Edited by: dale

Here's an interesting point about 9/11 and the Red Cross vs. the Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army was first on the scene supplying whatever help they could. They were still there 6 months later with coffee and etc after the Red Cross had packed up. WHen the Red Cross came onto the scene at the WTC they had people pick the most visible point where they would get the most screen time from the media cameras. They set up a tent within the view of the news cameras though that tent wasn't really used for much...but hey "Look, the Red Cross is on the scene." I'm not bagging on the Red Cross because they do alot of good but they are media whores. I think some people and corperations have a contention with the Salvation Army because it's a "christian organization" but, from working for them (I also worked for the Red Cross for a spell) it seems the SA has a lot more benevolence and not as self serving as the Red Cross.

The Salvation Army does a lot more day to day help for those displaced because of house fires, unemployment etc. Our local Red Cross puts you on a list and you have to wait til your number comes up. The Salvation Army is always right there with immediate help.

I still suggest donating money to the Goner fund before either of those organziations though cuz more of the money will go directly to those who need it than it trickling down. Remember the Salvation Army around Christmas time though because it's cool to help out and get kids who might not else get much some rad toys from Santa as well as some hearty meals.

Somedays my job is a pain in the ass (especially since I took on more duties/resposabilities with them) but it feels rewarding...now if only I could get some volunteers to help in the store more often...
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 5:45 pm

How can we make sure some of our money goes back into making NOLA be NOLA again?

I think colbito may have put it best. Once it's clear, go. Visit. Spend your money there.
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 9:24 pm

I think colbito may have put it best. Once it's clear, go. Visit. Spend your money there.

That's what the Thai gov't said about Phuket and other beaches impacted by the tsunamis when people asked how they could help. They said they moslty just need folks back in there spending as much dough as possible. I may be going to Thailand next month and I'll go to NOLA when it's clear- for charitable purposes ONLY, you understand.
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 8:42 am

yeah, the live wwl news broadcast from NOLA (pbs station) was saying that they want people back in the livable (?) parts ASAP and merchants back to sell to these people. I think they were hoping for seven days from now in some areas where electricity and clean water is getting restored. I don't know what is possible. The broadcast resumes at 8 AM tomorrow and it seems to be the only news (and the web page witten news too) that is informative at all.
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 4:04 pm | Edited by: grrtch

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:52 am Post subject: help outta Georgia
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Hey, I'm getting some wheels moving down here in Georgia. I went down to the 40 Watt last night, talked to Barrie Buck who was very interested. I left her info and she's gonna talk about it in their Monday booking meeting. Being Fall in a college town, their sched's real full, but she is aware of the immediate need. She also pointed out that it's worth it to not rush it so that it gets done right. I figure the need is gonna be there for at least a few months. Also, she reminded me that musicians might need to replace instruments as well a life's necessities, and she's all for raising money to help out on that angle as well.

Southern Bitch played last night, donating half of merch sales to hurricane relief. They were really excited to hear about the Goner fund, and decided to put their donation there.

Even tho Athens has never been a real hot place for Goner bands to play, I've just been telling club owners bands, writers that it's going to people like us who live with few if any safety nets. Zero administrative fees. By targeting a small group of beneficiaries means any donations make a bigger difference in individuals' lives. Convincing points for folks not already down with the whole Goner scene.

I'll be hepping a writer at Flagpole (the alt weekly paper) to this. (hope that in this case their deadline is soft!) Come next week, I'll get it in front of some other club owners, too.

I also enlisted help of a friend in Atlanta, so we'll be seeing about making something happen over there as well. Snag a venue, get some bands on board... So wheels are moving in GA!

Thanks to Theresa and Eric and all of y'all for getting the framework in place! Me and Kurt sent some money yesterday. More's on the way!
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 4:58 pm

small and direct will work every time. you're welcome but i didn't do anything anyone else wouldn't have done. i'm just louder than most folks
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 5:32 pm

Hey Joe I bet Louie could use some Hurricane help

why dont ya donate the money from this to help him out

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERSUADERS-KING-LOUIE-LTD-COVER-86-100-REATARDS_W0 QQitemZ4762871853QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 7:25 pm

Well, we are pulling some of our $$$ out (same day the hurricane hit, hollis lost his job, but i think he is going to do better with his new one anyway) and will send that to the church account. Tonight there is a benefit show in Portland that oughta collect a few ducats as well.

And no matter what, we are still going to move there sometime in the future.
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the support everybody - keep it up. lots of calls and emails and it's all been appreciated.

we raised some scratch the other night at the buc and funnelled it right back out to the gang in the form of a big cookout at the shop - pillows, jeans, t-shirts, socks, blankets, phone cards and wahlgreens gift cards. Also got a great big package of clothes from Monty Buckles in LA - stuff from Hemant and Mary and a handful of that was really appreciated as well. thanks for the help jay and alix.
Posted: Sep 4, 2005 9:34 pm

Thanks for your concern about what I'm doing, Jay. I'll keep that in mind.
Posted: Sep 5, 2005 4:23 am

Not concerned about you Bazooka concerned for my brother the KING
Posted: Sep 5, 2005 10:37 pm

Portland had a kick ass show last night...
should be sending something in the
neighborhood of 1100 bucks to goner
this week...big thanks to joe danger.
Posted: Sep 5, 2005 11:37 pm

I've put some possibly rare records on ebay, including SSLD & Shattered stuff. Money will go to flood victims. Can't seem to get the Sexareenos one to show, fucking stoopid ebay.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZfearlessvampire
Posted: Sep 5, 2005 11:37 pm

It shows now. Hurrah!
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 3:14 am

Seriously bitch, mind your own business.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 4:12 am

Our DJ Bake Sale & Raffle at the Ding Dong in NYC raised a couple hundred bucks which will go through the Paypal imminently.

The A-Bones headline a rock show at Magnetic Field next Sunday, 9/11 - we are also going to continue the bake sale and raffle. If yer in NYC, come on down.

I was happy to see people just throwing dollars in the donation bin without prompting.

Thanks to all who turned out and helped out
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 4:37 am

Any chance of posting a tally? Just curious...
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 5:06 am

I asked Paddy today, and I think he said that the Paypal total his dad has received is around the $700 mark. That does not include the amount from checks... just Paypal. Our bake sale boosts Paypal up to $900ish... cuz we wanted it to get there NOW.

Portland is sending $1100 ish as noted above.... NYC has another benefit next Sunday for this fund. We're coming along
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 9:51 am

talked to MC Gregory today...he
has some bills to pay...ya herd me?
we should send some goner money to him....
i figure he deserves it.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 3:15 pm

Theresa, me and xtine16 plan on raising a couple hundred ourselves from selling mix cd's at the Sunday benefit. Should I make sure the money goes direclty to King Louie so Jay stops acting like a fucking crybaby faggot or will the money go to the pope-dad for distribution to everybody?
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 3:25 pm

Why don't you make a money order or check to the Trinity Parish fund and in the memo write: Katrina Fund - for King Louie...whether its 100% for Louie, or whatever.

IF you or anyone wants to direct their contribution to someone in particular, it should be noted in the memo area of the check. I am not sure if you can do that w/ Paypal, but you could certainly follow up with an email that - "Of my x dollar contribution, i want to give 50% to Memphis and 50% to Austin" or however you want it split.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 3:32 pm

I was kidding. Whatever we make Louie will get the same amount as everybody else.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 4:04 pm

why doesn't Jay just donate some of his money from all the redundant Lost Sounds demo tapes releases? That was a stupid
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 5:57 pm

look " black guy" I have done my part the Final Solutions bought clothes, food, sleeping goods,and girt cards for 10-15 flood victims.
"Bazooka Joe" relax I was just pickin at ya . Ya dont have to get your panties in a little wad.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 6:01 pm

Jay. I'm just razzin' too. good for you.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 6:04 pm

what are girt cards ?
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 8:01 pm

Eric/Zac- how many of those clear Dutch Masters/Johnny V 7"es did you make? I didn't realise I had any until I got home.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 8:09 pm

think we did 100.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 8:09 pm

Always playing the girt card.
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 9:37 pm

you could probably raise a lot of money selling "girth cards."
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 9:38 pm

bazooka, will these charity comps be available for internet sale?
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 1:05 am

$310.42 just donated care of KOPPER and Atlanta charity event! THANKS!
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 1:20 am

bazooka, will these charity comps be available for internet sale?

I think we're gonna keep it down to 20 copies just for the benefit. It's not my music so I don't want to piss off any of the bands or labels that are responsible for making it and selling it. If I can do any more I'll keep you posted, and thanks for your interest!
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 2:39 am

I was just cleaning out my storage space, and I'm not sure if this would help anyone or not, but I have a 2 person backpacking tent (North Face...has rainfly which also creates a large vestibule, lots of mesh to keep circulation going without rainfly), and an old external frame backpack (Kelty, size S/M).

I was gonna eBay it to pay for my new stuff, but then I realized it's pretty much instant shelter if anyone needs it. Pardon my ignorance if not, but all I got to go off are pictures from the news, and it seems pretty bad still. Did Katrina put any Goners out there in this dire of a situation where they could put this stuff to use?

ct
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 4:26 pm

i'm not sure when i'll be leaving of for how long i'll be down there, but i'm heading down to the nola/biloxi area to id bodies. we have a big meeting today to find out details. seriously. that's my contribution.
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 9:41 pm

eric o, I like the new Hurricane relief link at the top.

And wouldn't you know it, it has a pelican on it....
Posted: Sep 7, 2005 11:07 pm

I'd be interested to see the total with checks. Just sent mine.
Posted: Sep 8, 2005 6:32 am

yeah eric & zac, i do love your new hurricane graphics. i stole one for my website, in fact
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 1:27 am

We made 130 (approx $250) for the fund, on its way via Paypal tomorrow. Love, Joss & Joe & Nadia xxxxx
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 8:34 am | Edited by: Womb Raider

someone please send a fucking corkscrew!!! There is wine trapped in a bottle, trying desperately to get into my stomach! It needs to be evacuated from that bottle soon!!!
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 3:10 pm

Just got my goner rashions survival box yesterday...sportin' out the legba 2x shirt right now...thanx for the KING KHAN/BBQ cd too...all the records i bought on my last trip to memphis from goner store and contaminated records were destroyed in the kondor space...thanx...loomis
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:52 pm

Last count with checks was around 2000 bucks... with West Coast (1100?), NYC benefit (today), and Alabama Aid (2200!!!!!) still incoming... so total shall swell! Folks will be needing this money! Please donate if you can, any benefit shows can help. Lots of folks are okay but completely in the dark as to what the future will bring, finding temporary work but have no savings, few belongings, maybe no home. Every contribution really does help a lot! Once the media circus fades, their condition remains.

Thanks to everyone for everything so far- completely unbelievable the amount of support for our friends in need!
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 10:49 pm

Bugger, my old iMac keeps causing "encryption error" when I try to use PayPal, will have to send in the $$$s from my computer at work tomorrow, apologies for the delay, folks!!
Posted: Sep 11, 2005 11:17 pm

we $450 last nite @ the jennyjeans/withdrawls show- half to goner!!!! half to the rebuild the coast fund - so $225 on the way to goner ASAP!!!

thanks for everyone coming out too!!!

Twinkle
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 10:14 am

Just sent thru the $$$s, the 130 equates to $243.89 ...
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 7:10 pm

the benefit at Magnetic Field in Brooklyn last night yielded quite a haul. Am going to get money orders and mail them to Pope Paddy's Dad today. Something close to $2 grand for Goners. Have to count all those $1 bills from the raffle and the bake sale yet.

thanks for everyone who came and spent money, and congrats to Bazooka Joe and Christine who were good karma'd by their expenses on a bazillion raffle tickets - they won buncha gift certificates for records! Their mix CD was good for over $200 in donations! yeah baby...
Posted: Sep 12, 2005 7:41 pm

Fuckin' hell it was Christine who got all the gift certificates. I'm a bit jealous!
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 4:52 am

Hey everyone!

OK - so doing the benefit yesterday was a great choice. Everyone here in
the NYC area was glad to have the opportunity to do something positive in remembrance of the events of 9/11 and to assist those who have been impacted by Katrina at the same time. The way everyone pulled together made me feel pretty damn proud of our community of rock and rollers! I want to thank each and every person who came down to the benefit last night. I think I did try last night. I must have given hugs and kisses to a hundred people! Hmmm. What was in those pecan squares Miriam made? ;-) Anyway, here are some people who I'd like to call out thanks to specifically.

BIG THANKS to Lee and Will at Magnetic Field. They not only gave us a place to hold the benefit, but also donated 10% of the bar's proceeds from the day to the three charities for whom we were raising funds. (The Humane Society, The New Orleans Musicians Clinic and the fund set up through Trinity Church for rock and rollers aka the Goner Fund.) Altogether, we raised nearly $4,000! ($1,872 for "Goner," $1,310 for New Orleans Musicians Clinic and $561 for the poor pets of NoLA and the surrounding areas)

EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS to Theresa Kereakes (www.punkturns30.com) who helped me with organizing and Julia Rogers (formerly of the Demands, currently training for the NY marathon where she will raise money for cancer victims and putting together her own band!) who donated her time to help run the event. Both also helped out with the other mini-benefit we did on Labor day, where we raised $215 for the "Goner Fund." Since we've all worked as professional fundraisers for non-profits (I still do!), we made a great team! I couldn't have done it without you gals!!! Also, a special thanks to Eric at Goner Records for being encouraging when I decided I wanted to do something along these lines and for helping gather names of rock and rollers who need our help. Oh, and for being patient when I started to cry on the phone. As well, a special thanks to Paddy Bullocks for setting up the fund at Trinity Church through his dad. If we had raised this kind of cash and sent it directly to Eric to distribute, he would have been really screwed with his taxes.

We didn't just raise some dough, everyone had a really great time at the
benefit! The A-Bones, Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds, The Insomniacs and The Spittoons all played really amazing sets -- even better than their usual awesome-ness! Ten DJ's also donated their time and wowed us with some really fab sets! Thanks to Mr. Vacation, Tom Dash, Paddy Bullocks, Thing With Two Heads, Dave The Spazz, Kari Krome, Gaylord Fields, Todd-O-Phonic Todd, Tim Warren, 'Alabama' Mike Sansone, and Josh Styles. Todd-O-Phonic Todd also donated his time as MC for part of the event.

We raffled off and gave away some really cool stuff, too. Unbelievable
riches... Raffle items and door prizes with a total value of over $3,000 (we had some really fantastic stuff!) were donated by: Norton Records, Telstar Records, Crypt Records, Get Hip Records, In The Red Records, Sympathy for the Record Industry, Dr. Ann Covalt, Brooklyn Tattoo, Magnetic Field, Uncle Mitro's Recording Studio, Dennis Hogue Amp Repair, me, Blair B., my sister Lise and Theresa K. We also held a bake sale at the club and Miriam Linna and her friend Elizabeth both donated delicious New Orleans inspired goodies. Bazooka Joe's Mix CD brought in some cash, too! THanks!!

Lots of people signed our book with well wishes for the folks who are
stranded in Memphis and Austin. The book will be at Goner Records in a
couple of weeks. Thanks also to Lee's pal who photographed the bands
(looking forward to seeing those pics!) and to Fuzzco for taking lots of
great photos (albeit perhaps too many of my boobs.) You can see his pics here:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4329689&a=31894285&sp=1&s howall=true

bazooka joe also posted some pics here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b99/ledisquaire/magfieldbenefit/

I am really happy (albeit more than a little hungover - thanks also to
Theresa for driving me and my car home and helping get Julia home safe, too!) knowing that our musical community has pulled together with such singular purpose to assist those in need. Thanks again to everyone. YOU ROCK!!!

With much love,

Jahna

www.powerandvolume.com
www.myspace.com/thedemands
www.myspace.com/themiscreantsnj
www.myspace.com/thecoalgems
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 4:58 am

Sweet Mangina shirt.
Seriously.
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 10:58 am

Help the Katrina Hurricane Survivors

Go to http://www.mymoneysavers.com/hurricanehelp.htm

This is lagit!
Posted: Sep 13, 2005 9:17 pm

Posted: Sep 13, 2005 11:24 pm

Oh! And I forgot to thank the Insomniacs for the records they donated to the raffle, too... THanks!!

We raffled off and gave away some really cool stuff, too. Unbelievable
riches... Raffle items and door prizes with a total value of over $3,000 (we had some really fantastic stuff!) were donated by: Norton Records, Telstar Records, Crypt Records, Get Hip Records, In The Red Records, Sympathy for the Record Industry, Dr. Ann Covalt, Brooklyn Tattoo, Magnetic Field, Uncle Mitro's Recording Studio, Dennis Hogue Amp Repair, me, Blair B., my sister Lise and Theresa K. We also held a bake sale at the club and Miriam Linna and her friend Elizabeth both donated delicious New Orleans inspired goodies. Bazooka Joe's Mix CD brought in some cash, too! THanks!!
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 12:18 am

doing a Goner benefit Sept 25th in Tucson
just a bunch of people playing and doing an All Star Jam (where everyone will perform a medley of Have you ever seen the Rain, Like A Hurricane, Rock You Like a Hurricane and Sippin on some Sizzurp)

all money will go down there...all crap brought in will just go to the local refugees, survivors, party people whatever the hell Oprah wants me to call em

raffling off stuff as well

so who wants to tell me the recipe for a good crawdad boil?
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:24 pm

I know this is way too early to think about, but what about funding the actual rebuilding of New Orleans, to make sure it comes back and comes back to be the place it was in some semblance?
this is a late response, but please check out what the AIA and Architects without Borders groups are planning. We are looking to send a team from PDX through AIA/Portland & AWB when we get the green light. Seattle AIA already sent 9 architects and I believe they are addressing the transitional housing issue. National AIA is responding on a much wider scale. The fear is the homebuilders will run in when the time comes and slap up crap material suburban hell holes. The architects that are going to the area will be working FOR FREE and they will be important in helping to restore or rebuild historic buildings and insure that materials being used are environmentally sound. www.aia.org for more info... just another one of the many good causes out there as a result of this tragedy.
Posted: Sep 14, 2005 9:27 pm

p.s.
the national aia site talks a lot about displaced architects and one has to wade through quite a bit to get to the good stuff about temporary housing. here's a direct link to the charitable organization Architects without Borders. It's an international organization and I believe the Portland chapter is one of only a few in our country. http://www.awb-or.org/
Posted: Sep 16, 2005 2:16 am

I'm doing a benefit next Friday:

Ghosts
Budokan (www.budokanrocks.com)
and the lovely Bettina doing burlesque between bands (http://suicidegirls.com/girls/Bettina/733574/)

Cover is six bucks, and it goes directly to the Trinity Parish RNR Community Fund. All records and merch sales will be donated to the NOLA SPCA.
Here's a link for the flyer http://www.myspace.com/timmy_otoole
Posted: Sep 18, 2005 2:40 am | Edited by: dale

Eric, do you know (or can you find out) if this church fund is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization?

I plan on donating regardless, but my employer will match 100% of my donation up to $1000, if the organization fits that criteria.Eric, do you know (or can you find out) if this church fund is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization?

I plan on donating regardless, but my employer will match 100% of my donation up to $1000, if the organization fits that criteria.

Paddy,
Any more word on this? Stef can get an employer's match too.
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 3:50 pm

i sent an email checking on this - i'll let you know
Posted: Sep 19, 2005 4:04 pm

Great stuff! Keep it up Keep it up Keep it up!!!!
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 4:34 pm

Just out of interest, what's the total up to date, fund-wise?
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 1:16 pm

I got an email from Billy and Miriam today saying that if you donate $100 or more Brian Wilson would not only personally call you on the phone to thank you, he would would match your donation! Read more on the Norton site.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:22 pm

if you donate $100 or more Brian Wilson would not only personally call you on the phone to thank you, he would would match your donation!

WTF!!!
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 7:17 am

http://www.brianwilson.com
I think the info regarding this is here.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 6:28 pm

I'm cleaning out my closet and have some clothes that don't fit my fat ass anymore. Who needs some gear? I got a pair of black Dickies (36 x 30- yeah, I can't even get into the 36's anymore) and a couple cool shirts too. They should fit fine if you're about 5'9" and not pregnant. Email me if you need to not be so naked.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:14 pm

They're clean, too.
Posted: Oct 16, 2005 9:59 pm

400+ bucks raised last night at the Buc...

dispersals beginning this week- sorry for the delay ...

and joe, i just met your dad! and he bought the great HEZEKIAH & THE HOUSEROCKERS cd!!!!
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 7:51 pm

I wish I coulda been there! Memphis "BUCC-ed" up to help new orleans goners..again! New Orleans owes you all!! seriously, you all kick ass. Memphis rocks yet again! memphis and new orleans have always been tight, but this is just too much. thank you fo' you hospitality!! well, I hope it don't never happen, but when if that new madrid fault line cracks and memphis slides down the bluff into the mississippi, we got your back!
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 12:28 am

Hey Eric, my pops says you're a swell guy! He didn't find the Donny Denim single there that 16 wanted. What's you're friggin' problem dude? haha.

Nobody needs my clothes apparenty.
Posted: Oct 23, 2005 3:54 am

B.J.
Email me a cool shirt....
Posted: Oct 23, 2005 3:44 pm

B.J. Is short for "blow job"! I think I met you at goner fest.You looked like one of those queer New Yorkrers to me. B J seriously,I hope I work up east soon. no kiddin' memphis is doin the real suckin hard!
Posted: Oct 23, 2005 7:31 pm

Colbito, do you need some gear? I got stuff I can send.
Posted: Oct 23, 2005 10:49 pm

BZtothe J...Thanks a million for the offer, but I'm cool.....
Between Schooly and Sherry I'm cool......going back to the 'Nolia to get some more stuff Tomorrow and see MR.Quintron's record release show.....Mattgina better have my bike.....
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 1:22 am

A'ight. I guess if nobody takes my clothes maybe one day after I lose 30 lbs. they'll fit again.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 2:31 am

otay!
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 9:45 pm

I get 13 thousand and the rest of yall can split the differance...HA HA suckers!!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 6:31 pm

Whatever the King says......
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 7:34 pm

...OFF WITH THE HEAD!!!
Posted: Nov 8, 2005 3:41 am

Off with your fat ass.....
Posted: Nov 10, 2005 9:11 pm

so how's a gal get in on the check cutting, eh?

we need some $ to send bateman to a special school. the hurricane has had devastating effects on his emotional well-being. i'm worried about the little guy.
Posted: Nov 15, 2005 10:36 pm

Hey Bazooka Joe! I'll take some of dem clothes! I'm startin' to get cold up here. what sizes? next time I'm in NY I'm tryin some on!
Posted: Nov 16, 2005 9:43 pm

Hey Eric, what's the word on this?
Posted: Nov 17, 2005 4:26 pm

still waiting. sorry!
Posted: Nov 17, 2005 4:29 pm

i'll try to find out what the hold up is --- shoulda been going out by now
Posted: Nov 27, 2005 3:16 am

Popeyes are re-opening now, so:

Michael Bateman / Chris Martel
5252 Annunciation St.
New Orleans, LA 70115

WMMA?!
Posted: Dec 7, 2005 9:38 pm

whats up, any news about this, Vince Neil and Nikki Six won't lend me any more drug money out here in LALA land
Posted: Dec 8, 2005 3:32 am

Ha Ha O'henry
Posted: Dec 28, 2005 3:16 pm

any word on when this $$ goes out? Bateman's diapers are getting rancid.
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 1:49 am

get a job you hippy!
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 7:46 am

job? eh? not when the unemployment checks keep a'comin!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®