Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:36 pm

http://www.fatpossum.com/home.html

One of the best live music experiences of my life was hearing RL Burnside play at one of the Turner family picnics a few years back. The man could deliver a good joke, for sure. Well wishes to all his family, friends, and neighbors.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:55 pm

Man, that's horrible...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:59 pm

damn, I was just listening to him yesterday at work! fucked up! RIP!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:01 pm

Godspeed RL!!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:04 pm

RIP, RL. Thanks for the joy.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:06 pm

I can't believe this. One of the biggest thrills of my life was getting to share the stage with R.L. Damn. I can't do him justice on a stupid message board post. I'm at a loss for words...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:13 pm

I'm so glad his music was heard worldwide and he did not die in obscurity. Thanks for rocking the blues, RL. RIP
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:17 pm

He had a pretty good run.....lived to be older than any of my grandparents did. Still sad though, and I never even had the chance to see him play live. RIP.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:22 pm

Adam, I heard last night that one of the guys responsible for the Charlie Jackson reish died last week at the age of 42. Do you know who I'm talkin' about?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:28 pm

Adam, I heard last night that one of the guys responsible for the Charlie Jackson reish died last week at the age of 42. Do you know who I'm talkin' about?

Thankfully no, I don't know what you're talking about. I got an email Kevin Nutt of CaseQuarter this morning. A couple days ago I spoke with him about Lynn Abbott, and was told that Lynn left New Orleans ahead of the storm. I'm not quite sure who else it would be. Any idea?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:29 pm

Whoever it was that helped Tim with the studio to do the vinyl. A new York guy...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:30 pm

god fucking dammit :(
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:35 pm

He was a talented man. At least he had a pretty long, full life. Like someone else pointed out, at least he had made it out of obscurity. I always get that song stuck in my head "East Side, baby.... "
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:36 pm

Whoever it was that helped Tim with the studio to do the vinyl. A new York guy...

Rick Rosen? I think he's the guy who helped with the vinyl-to-vinyl transfers.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:58 pm

More bad news. RL was a fun guy.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:48 pm

speaking of reverend charlie, i hope he's alright after this storm! do you know anything adam? how did baton rouge fair?

very sorry about RL too.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 1:16 pm

speaking of reverend charlie, i hope he's alright after this storm! do you know anything adam?

I've left a couple messages for them but haven't heard anything. I'm taking the fact that I am able to leave a message as a good sign. Baker/Baton Rouge seems to be far enough west that they didn't get hit too badly, all things considered, but they live in a pretty small trailer park, so I'm concerned about wind damage and so forth. Laura works at an area hospital, so I'm sure things are incredibly hectic over there right now. I'm going to keep on trying to reach them.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 1:59 pm

Everyone should drink a Bloody Motherfucker for RL tonight. Half tomato juice, half JD. I don't know how anyone could handle one of those, let alone 65 years of 'em.
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:00 pm

(Copied over from the Memphis thread)

On behalf of the Sonic Reducer crew, we'd like to wish Duwayne Burnside and family all our love and thanks for the wonderful times spent dancing/drinking to RL, whether here in London, at Junior's place, or at Memphis In May ...

Joss & Joe x
Posted: Sep 2, 2005 5:39 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®