Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hurricane jitters
Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:10 am

any friends please email/call. i got a new galveston number 409-939-3777

or if you have any numbers i can reach you at

this hurts so bad- cant reach any of the people i love the most from the city that holds my heart
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:25 am

don't call that 334-514....it ain't right....someone dictated it wrong...sorry for the confusion.
Chad
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:33 am

I easily have space to help one person for a while (meaning, an entire bed if you want it), if they want a low key place. There are two cats. There is digital cable...once I locate the remote. Offline: andrewsearles@yahoo.com
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:37 am

NOLA brethren welcome in Galveston also. Jean Laffitte's home away from home

love neish
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:31 am

lisa m, please email (through my profile) if you hear anything from/about George R. I'm kinda worried about George, and his mom.
And yes, I'm crazy concerned for the rest of you that I met in NOLA. I love you guys. Has Canada opened it's borders yet? - I'll sponsor the lot of you. (Peggy, Dan, you know you're welcome here anytime)
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:08 am

chad/steph- you heard from the escapees yet? did they make it out of town? I'm worried sick.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:43 am

what about the die rotzz/surry's camp...
no word from any of them yet....
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:54 am

what about the die rotzz/surry's camp...
no word from any of them yet....

andy and paul are up in memphis. don't know about marvin, but I'm sure he got out.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:58 am

I was watching Nightline and it said how NO is such an American place and in the background was a big Hooters sign! How about all those convicts who are taking people hostage? That's some crazy shit! The footage on tv reminds me of a George A. Romero "Dead" film or those shows of wrecked Venice from Dogtown and Z-Boys. My heart goes out to all those going through this disaster. On tv they said it's the worst natural disaster in U.S. history. Goddamn. I wish I could do something to help but being on the west coast there's not really any way except donate a few bones to charity. The dead bodies/critters/sewage/disease factor from all of this is insane. I heard on Nightline that house underwater for more than 12 hours are pretty much worthless and have to be gutted 'cuz all the boards, etc. start to rot.

I wonder if NO is gone forever or if it's gonna drain out. Guess only time will tell. And think of all those great record collections lost. Geez... That's the real tragedy!!! Just kidding. Take care east coasters!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:09 am

martel...the # i was given for the cell phone was wrong, but the # was an alabama friends home phone who called us and said that blythe and company called them and they were in MISSISSIPPI. (apologize for that being the most confusing sentence ever.) anyway they were deciding when they arrived in jackson whether to go on to mempho or the roost. i just woke up and they aren't here so be on the look out for them there.
Chad
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:41 am

has anyone heard from those in Jackson? (Marsh, Daphne, Mike, or anyone else) the news I get here in Houston doesn't talk about the damage in Jackson. I talked to Lindley last night and he said that Pearl is fucked up pretty bad. Any word about damage in Brandon? My parents are there and I can't get in touch with them.
Trey
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:38 pm

Where the hell is Louie?????????
Steph
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:47 pm

i sincerely hope that everyone in NOLA and surrounding areas is alright. the news footage doesn't look good. hope you guys are dry, and safe.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:57 pm

lisa m, Rene Coman was in the Northeast with the Iguanas, and is apparently
okay.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:55 pm

Louie...here...rebecca and i were just rescued by chainsaw from pearl river MS. (where the storm eye actually hit)...we swam through the swamp with a pit bull in tow. for nearly twenty minutes ...the water flooded our cabbin in 45 second we were swimmig through a flood...we were rescued bu boat from the TOP of a barn!!! spent 30 hours in the swamp with no electricity and were hearing reports of 8 dead people just up the road from us...this is unemaginable that we survived...we were driven hours in the black night to baton rouge...my mom is ok and the hardware store has no roof and is fucked...i'm worried my dad is all alone in there and i don't want him to be harmed by desperate neighbors for propain and lamp oil (all of which were sold out of days ago...we were looking out the window when the eye hit and the forest trees were wiggling like when you shake apencile by the eraser...there is a church on top of my car in the middle of HWY 604...got to go for now...find panzer and jherri macgillicudy for me!!! louieand rebecca...
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:02 pm

Good News...Great to hear from you Louie...Not funny, but I had a horrible fear I'd be watching the disaster footage and see a body float by with a guns n roses vest on...fuck...
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:33 pm

shit. glad you and rebecca are ok, louie. i guess if the eye hit pearl river, it hit bogalusa too. i haven't talked to anyone in my family since saturday afternoon. they had no plans of getting out. i hope they got out.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:47 pm

Louie...here...rebecca and i were just rescued by chainsaw from pearl river MS.

Thank you for checking in, sweetie! I am so glad you are alright. Now I am hoping to hear word about Art Boonparn.

Other people I have thought of: Chris and Tony Kirsch? Tommy Oliver? Brian Fazekas (he was living near 3rd and Magazine last I heard. . . )? Anyone know anything about these folks?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:53 pm

I saw a bunch of NOLA people in Austin last night, but most were heading out of town today.....I'm still in limbo, but by all accounts and pictures I've seen Uptown was in the best shape, floodwise, but water is still rising....It might be months before we know if Rocks Off still exists...

the Gonercopter would be useful right now....
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:56 pm

man, glad you guys are alright
this shit is indeed fucked

weird stuff

http://www.franklyspeakingradio.com/WEATHERCONTROL.html
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:03 pm

louie - great to hear from you - sounds insane. i'm really glad you're alive.

chad - thanks for posting the jason/blythe crew update.

everyone's been thinking about you guys here in memphis. stay safe.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:04 pm

I saw a bunch of NOLA people in Austin last night, but most were heading out of town today.....I'm still in limbo, but by all accounts and pictures I've seen Uptown was in the best shape, floodwise, but water is still rising....It might be months before we know if Rocks Off still exists...
Does Art still live on Robert Street? Chances look good for him, then, as long as he still has food and water. I hope he is on his way out of town, if not already there.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:05 pm

JOE PESTILENCE!

Have you heard from your people in Pascagoula? The town is... gone. Family that we've heard from are all fine, but none of our homes made it at all. Nothing left but foundations. Hope your family/friends are OK. Let me know.

MH
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:23 pm

the guard told my dad to 'get the fuck out of jeff parish, and not come back for a month' . .stacy tom hopkns...call me......shag
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:35 pm

i haven't talked to anyone in my family since saturday afternoon

That's rotten. Have a lot of you with family there been able to get in touch?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:49 pm

Thnx Goner & Memphis. Shannon G. if you read this or if someone knows how to get in touch with her, this is Katie Caballero and me & Jeff are safe & sound near Taylorsville with Angela's folks. This is as far as we could get en route to Memphis-- no gasoline available south of Jackson, most roads are gone. We're on a generator here, but no phones or cell but I can rec. text - 214-277-9963. Lower Garden is fucked, Shan. I'm so sorry - I hope eveyone got out allright. I got thru to my folks, I'm Dallas bound. Anyone have updates on the condiditon of I10 West to Baton Rouge/Lafayette?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:57 pm

THANKS for the updates everybody! Glad to hear most Goners and extended family are accounted for...

has anyone heard from those in Jackson? (Marsh, Daphne, Mike, or anyone else) the news I get here in Houston doesn't talk about the damage in Jackson.

DITTO!

I have been watching/listening to this Jackson streaming live news....most are out of power and water too....
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:57 pm

hey everybody, I got lot's of room and jobs outside of austin if anybody needs to relocate for a while. you can contact me -james@moonshineshades.com.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 5:35 pm

Katie: Mom says I10 going W is broken in spots over the basin, tho I can't confirm. Better stay put. News says Tupelo area,Guntown,Sautillo are out of gasoline, so travel N looks sketchy. email me if you are able slgierhart@earthlink.net.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 5:42 pm

I know this may not be a huge deal at this point or of any concern to any on this board, but I just heard that the Big 3 automakers are deferring payments for at least 90 days for those affected by the hurricane. They said you simply need to contact the finance company to register for deferrment.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 5:47 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about this, every one. Any chance of setting up some sort of benefit show for you guys ?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 5:58 pm

I think benefit shows would be great. One each in Chicago, Memphis, Portland, Austin, NY, etc. Wherever there's a concentration of Goners. Setting a relief fund at US Bank or somewhere might also be a good idea.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:07 pm

If anyone is playing on coming out west(l.a.) drop a line. I'm getting ready to move. But we can figure something out.

butobase68@hotmail.com

Hang in there y'all.
Gore
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:08 pm

anyone heard from panzer? we're pretty sure they got out of town but they're still unaccounted for.. thinking maybe they ran out of gas somewhere or something.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:21 pm

I agree with the benefit show thing. I am friends with Chantelle at Berbati's and this is something I bet she would be really into helping with. Portland people hit me up at kristin.irene.young@gmail.com. I will ask Chantelle what she thinks. I will have some time to get behind to set this up if we organize well.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:27 pm

That's rotten. Have a lot of you with family there been able to get in touch?

I know 3 people that decided to ride it out. One of them in Bucktown, about 2 blocks from Lake Pontchartrain, and two others in Metairie. No phone service at all. I can't get even any cell service into the country areas south of Mccomb, Miss either.

For anybody still wandering about, I have a spare bedroom in the Memphis suburbs. If you don't have anything pending down there, please consider staying here or wherever you are, at least for awhile. Get setup with a job and a pad. It might be months before things dry up enough down there for you to inspect the damage, let alone get back to the daily grind.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:28 pm

Does anyone know where Jude Matthews is?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:47 pm

PORTLAND-sunday sept 4th 8pm
at the know (20th and alberta)
DARK SKIES
DISSIDERATA
DEAD BY DAWN
this was going to be my friend jay davis' going away party (to new orleans). now it's a benefit.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:51 pm

Stay safe, folks. If you see a Drum Buddy floating by, can you grab it for me?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 6:54 pm

This is what makes (made?) NOLA kick ass.....we've been cracking jokes since minute one....not that we don't understand or take it seriously....but we are not going to constantly wine for years like some other places....
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:12 pm

I think benefit shows would be great. One each in Chicago, Memphis, Portland, Austin, NY, etc. Wherever there's a concentration of Goners. Setting a relief fund at US Bank or somewhere might also be a good idea.
I may try to set one up in Boston. I'm talking to a few local bands and venues. There's some Goner folk up here too, and we've had a few people defect to Memphis and New Orleans.

Here's an article that lists charities contributing to the relief fund:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/29/AR2005 082902136.html

I also heard Habitat for Humanity is contributing but they're not on the list.

Andrea
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:16 pm

No, I still haven't heard from Panzer n their crew. I am thinking gas may be an issue. I was really hoping to find they had made it to memphis.

LOUMUS! You and Rebecca have been on my mind CONSTANTLY! I am so glad you made it out ok. I love ya'll. Our NoLA phone's don't work. I'll post our Bama number as soon as i get it.

We do need to set up some fund for NOLA friends.

Nesha, I will call you soon too. love ya- NOLA refugees heading to AstroDome!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:31 pm

Pasta got a text message from Jason last night around 11. Said they were around Jackson somewhere & weren't sure whether or not they'd head on to Memphis or to Alabama.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:32 pm

Hey, all. I posted this last night on another thread, but, I wanted to let you know quite a few New Orleans folk made it up to the Buccaneer to see the impromptu Royal Pendletons. Memphis came out in droves to fill the place and show general support. This wasn't a benefit, it was a beer bust. Seemed to me like it was kind of a "This is all horrible, but can we take a rock n' roll break for a second" thing. I was glad to meet quite a few of these folk, and hope everybody had a great time and had a moment to distract from their constant worry.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:54 pm

Mary Helen, i haven't talked to any of the Pascagoulans yet but my old friend Vince is in Austin and might have information in that regard.

I'd also like to take time to apologize for any seemingly flip remarks i might've made on this thread and else where regarding this. I wasn't trying to make fun of the situation,i was just attempting to bring a little levity to things w/out really knowing exactly how fucked up things were. I haven't seen much TV coverage because i don't have a TV right now,but it's definitely sinking in how fucked everyone down there is. I know most of my friends know my sense of humor, bu t i look back on what i wrote and feel like a real asshole now. My deepest apologies.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:58 pm

Still haven't heard from my Sister that had to stay behind or my neice's family. I have the wrong number for my aunt's house and my other Sister's and Brother In Law's cells aren't working yet. At least i know part of my family is safe,but i'm still worried about everyone.

If burrito,satanic war chicken or anyone else in touch w/ current Biloxi/Gulfport people i know has any info on them,feel free to post it here. Thank you.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:59 pm

Anybody happen to know Mo of Howlpop fame? I can't find her.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:10 pm

I'm putting together a benefit to specifically give $$ to the rock and roll folks who have been stranded and need some pocket money. It's going to be at Magnetic Field in Brooklyn some time in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you all know as soon as I pull the details together. MEanwhile, if you know of anyone who should be included on the list of folks to get the $$, please e-mail me off list with their contact info at innuendos1@hotmail.com.

Also, if anyone is stranded and needs a place to stay and wants to come to NJ, Blair and I still have space.

Hugs,

Jahna
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:12 pm

I agree with the benefit show thing. I am friends with Chantelle at Berbati's and this is something I bet she would be really into helping with. Portland people hit me up at kristin.irene.young@gmail.com. I will ask Chantelle what she thinks. I will have some time to get behind to set this up if we organize well.
PORTLAND-sunday sept 4th 8pm
at the know (20th and alberta)
DARK SKIES
DISSIDERATA
DEAD BY DAWN
this was going to be my friend jay davis' going away party (to new orleans). now

This is awesome. Chantalle is really cool- I'm sure she'd be into it. I'm leaving town for about a week and a half- I'll be back on the 11th, and I'd definitely find time to help put something together when I get home.

Perhaps Goner Records/Eric could act as a "bank"... a place where we could all send show proceeds and other Goner-specific donations. I know it's a lot to ask of tiny record store, but I feel like it would be a good place... close to the the shit, well connected, knows everyone, etc.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:14 pm | Edited by: Alex

Yea the Goner Records Bank of America. Scary !
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:14 pm

If anyone knows about the whereabouts of AP Gonzalez,Rob Cambre,Mike Joseph,Brad and Xiomara Brewster,let me know thru here as well. Thanks again...
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:14 pm

email me: dixon.joe@gmail.com -or- joe@rumblefish.com
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:32 pm

just when you think that area has had enough tragedy something else happens

State of Alabama Quarters Recall

Hang on to any of the new State of Alabama quarters. If you have them, they may be worth much more than 25 cents.

The U.S. Treasury has announced that it is recalling all of the Alabama quarters that are part of its program featuring quarters from each state.

"We are recalling all the new Alabama quarters that were recently issued," Treasury Undersecretary Jack Shackleford stated. "This action is being taken after numerous reports that the new quarters will not work in parking meters, toll booths, vending machines, pay phones, or other coin-operated devices."

The quarters were issued in the order in which the various states joined the U.S. and have been a tremendous success among coin collectors worldwide.

"The problem stemmed from the unique design of the Alabama quarter, which was created by an Auburn University graduate," Shackleford said.

"Apparently, the duct tape holding the two dimes and the nickel together keeps jamming the coin-operated devices."
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:41 pm

Any Goners or the like in the HOUSTON area- please call 409-939-3777

I will be in Houston the weeked- will buy any friends booze, and can help if anyone needs places to stay, clothes, etc.

Please please get a hold of me- need a hug and want to help
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:55 pm

Good news. "w" has decided to put away his golf clubs and travel to the GulfCoast for some photo ops. Everything is going to be fine.

I went down to Florida City after Andrew hit and help my uncle get all his stuff . We went to one of many tent cities to get food and supplies; and guess who's black bulletproof caravan of gun tottin' guards interrupted everybody's misery? Dan Quayle and his idiot son's were gettin' in on the action.
"Wow!!! We've never seen damage like this before."
Go back to the cornfields of Indiana, ya' dumb-fuck!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like everybody waited till the last minute to grab their cherished items and leave. Sounds like it even caught the peeps in South Florida off guard. "We didn't know it was going to be this bad." Have they forgotten already on how bad Andrew was?

This is really bad. Many people who think that they are insured are quickly finding out that they are not. Some of these companies have already skipped town. Allstate dropped me after a God-Damned hail storm hit back in '92? Not even a Hurricane. I had 3 policies and they still dropped me. I will never get Allstate again. They said this morning that gas is going to hit $5.00 a gallon by Christmas. Thanks for those photo links.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:56 pm

Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:09 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/girlnotgrrl/find.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/girlnotgrrl/loot.jpg

thanks Associated Press for the proof I needed

I kept wondering while I was watching television if there were any white people doing the looting since all I saw on the news were blacks coming out of the stores...now my mind is at ease knowing now that no whites were involved...GO TEAM!!!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:15 pm

I don't know if this site will prove as helpful as the Goner bullitin board, but here it is...I think some of the military families set it up:
http://www.katrinacheckin.org/okay/index.php
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:22 pm

UM, anyone know how Pass Christian is? I just got a call from my aunt who is freaking as our great aunt (elderly) is alone and unheard from. She lived alone there.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:29 pm

Also, there's this on NOLA.com,

http://www.nola.com/forums/searching/

Not sure it's helpful. Maybe just long and confusing...
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:34 pm

I don't think Pass Christian fared very well, fiery. Check this link:

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/12523270.htm#passchristian

This is a pretty good site, and lists damage town by town. Go back to the home page if you need to navigate further.

Also, www.GNOCDC.org supposedly has a listing of NOLA neighborhood by neighborhood...flood damage, etc.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:39 pm

Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:49 pm

I really hope she got out of there. I have a feeling she didn't leave. She is a fiery Mississippi lady who rarely left the state. Shit.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 9:59 pm

FYI: If it isn't already obvious, AND IF whomever has a charge, NOLA phone numbers are able to send and receive text messages. This is how we got in touch with/account for several Big Easy Rollergirls that got out/managed to get out...

So if you are missing anyone, try texting them.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:06 pm

More people: Dale Ashmun,Curtis Cottrell,Paul "Switchblade MacGillicuddy" Mills and his sister Amy,Louie Hernandez and Brian from Les Turdz... any information on any of these people's wherabouts would be greatly appreciated.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:07 pm

just talked to jason... he's in memphis.

and louie... he's in baton rouge, en route to lafayette. we'll probably go down and bring him up here.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks Sherry,that's a great idea! I'm gonna try to text message my sister JoEllen later today. No cell phone number to contact Dianan in Gulfport though... fuck.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:21 pm

i think what about the Red Cross or Salvation Army to receive funds from a benefit?

i think "goner-specific donations" was the key.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:23 pm

That is what I was wondering--if we set up these shows for benefits, we need to make them legit so that people trust the $$$$ goes to the right place. Should we contact the Red Cross and see how to go about it? Do we need to register with an aid service to make it legitimate? I'd like to do something within the next few weeks here in PDX and I think it is really possible to get a lot of money raised. Any ideas on how to really make it a legitimate benefit? I'd like the money to go to some sort of general fund.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:25 pm

I can only shake my head at all this. I don't know most of you kids on here, but my couch is mighty comfy. I'm in Memphis. E-mail me through the site if any of the displaced need a place to crash.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:25 pm

what about the Red Cross or Salvation Army to receive funds from a benefit? They're out there right now trying to get food and water to people.

if you want specific people to reap the benefits, you have to specifically ear mark them. if there is a local charity that aids disasters, they can act as a fiscal agent for your intended recipients (fed. rules apply) and you can provide a list or a criteria for disbursement. i believe red cross and salvation army are helpful, but perhaps not to whom you want to receive the money
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:32 pm

I think I'll apply for a job at the House of Mews.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:34 pm

Yeah, you could just curl up in the dresser drawers with all the sweet kitty cats.

I don't know what is wrong with me but now that NOLA is cut off for me to move next August (I knwo things will be better then, but...) I almost wanna move home. Am I crazy?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm

I've done benefit shows in the past, and being "informal" hasn't ever hurt anyone. This is why I suggested Goner Records act as our Red Cross, a sort of rock + roll relief center. Eric is geographically close to all of this, and probably knows the most people. If we could send money there, or set up a bank account in Goner's name for this, I think it do more good than just sending our dough to the Salvation Army. I think if we tell people what we're raising money for, and they see we're serious by coming to the shows, they'll trust us to get the money to the right people.

Eric, what are your thoughts on (and abilities/willingness to handle) all of this?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:37 pm

i would be happy sending it to goner and letting eric distrubute the $. i mean, hopefully people from all over will be donating to the red cross and salvation army, but me, i'm looking out for my friends and the people i've met. if i throw a benifit show and we make $100/$200 dollars, i want to think all my broke ass friends who just lost every fucking thing they own will get a little support from this supposed community we've created. maybe they're not the people who need it most, but looks like everybody's got it pretty bad right now. i mean, everybody just lost thier home, job, etc in one swoop.

anybody down there have any suggestions?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:38 pm

The biggest challenge right now is finding non-profit willing to act as a fiscal conduit to distribute funds *directly* to the rock and roll folks. Not that I don't think the greater community also needs help, but we can make a greater impact (more $$ per person) if we focus on a smaller group of people. So, I'm waiting to hear back from the Sweet Relief
Musicians Foundation and WFMU's station manager, Ken Freedman. Ken said that they will promote the heck out of the event at the station, at the very least. (He's also very concerned about the public radio station folks who he knew down there. If you're out there, please check in with him.) I also asked my main client. (I'm a non-profit consultant - I raise
$$ and assist non-profits with marketing and design for a living - not a profitable career, but a satisfying one) She was a little leery of getting involved, but very supportive of my taking time from my current deadlines for her to do this.

I can't even get through via telephone or web to the Red Cross at all. I'm glad they are so busy - that's a good sign that the public has been mobilized to help. I will also talk to them about setting up a specific account for this purpose. I also want to collect clothes, food, etc. to donate to them as part of the benefit.

I'll keep you all posted as I pull the event together.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:39 pm

Also- we should be thinking in terms outside of just money. Times are tight for a lot of us right now, and not all of can spare $10 or $20... A place to send clothes, household items, etc. would be good.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:40 pm

I suppose I don't think it is fair to Eric to place him in that responsibility. It isn't that I don't trust ya, but that is the problem. You are a trustworthy guy with a lot to do and being the king of the hurricane benefit dole is something I think you should agree to do, not be forced into doing.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:42 pm

I agree...

No one should be forced into taking on what will be a sizeable burden... It was just what sprang to mind.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:44 pm

want to think all my broke ass friends who just lost every fucking thing they own will get a little support from this supposed community we've created
yeah, if you can't help everyone, help the people who would (hopefully) do it for you as well....not just any asshole.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:46 pm

why doesnt someone just set up a NOLA ROCKNROLL RELIEF FUND and open up a paypal account. that way GONERS can contribute from all over the globe. i know paypal sucks, but its an easy way to collect funds and dole it out to specific NOLA Goners
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:47 pm

Joe Danger said:
hopefully people from all over will be donating to the red cross and salvation army, but me, i'm looking out for my friends and the people i've met. if i throw a benifit show and we make $100/$200 dollars, i want to think all my broke ass friends who just lost every fucking thing they own will get a little support from this supposed community we've created. maybe they're not the people who need it most, but looks like everybody's got it pretty bad right now. i mean, everybody just lost thier home, job, etc in one swoop.

I agree 100%!!! Just to be clear - that's why I am going to need help to locate folks and get the $$ to them.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:52 pm

what jahna said about fiscal agents
fed rules are really strict on what agencies can act as $$ conduits. its a tax problem for them if they give money to causes that are not specifically outlined in their 501c3 charter

i tried sweet relief for something recently, and they had strict guidelines about health insurance/health problems. couldn't even use them to get money to mike smith.

if the red cross or salvation army or unlikely FEMA agrees to a pot of money for our intended recipients, that is the way to go.

otherwise... fuck it.... use western union or something and send money directly to your pals.

i think some group should needle western union to waive their exhorbitant money-sending fees in light of this. i believe they may have done so for the tsunami relief action.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 10:55 pm

Hey, guys. Not to be the asshole in the ointment, but I've done a few of these things before, too. First you should all be saluted for trying to bring light to a shity situation; that being said, to organize, you need to:
1. Identify beneficiaries (is it just NOLA, the entire region)
2. Recipients need to have a way to be identified as "Goner" (this sounds vague, but just thrrowing it out there)
3. Even distribution to all affected "Goners", or first come first serve asking for specific amounts...

Again, you should all be applauded, and I would definitely sink some cash to help, but these are some of the obstacles. That's all. Keep workin' on it!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:01 pm

That is why someone needs to be responsible in being the executor of the fund. Any takers? I agree that a Paypal account is a good idea, but there needs to be an agreement on how it will be distributed etc.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:02 pm

1. Identify beneficiaries (is it just NOLA, the entire region)

I think it should be any Goner affected by Katrina.

2. Recipients need to have a way to be identified as "Goner" (this sounds vague, but just thrrowing it out there)

Uhh, this is harder. Any suggestions?

3. Even distribution to all affected "Goners", or first come first serve asking for specific amounts

Even distro sounds good, the drawback being we'd have to wait for most of the $$ to come in before we start handing it out... Again, any other suggestions?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:03 pm

hey jack stands.... i spnt months and months after 9/11 trying to get my relief from FEMA and you list some salient points. as w/ 9/11, the NOLA hurricane victims will not have their paperwork, etc. on them that FEMA is gonna need in order to process them. it will be a hardship just trying to get gov't relief. and they could use our trickling in 100's while they wait for their gov't 1,000's

take heed of those 3 points. whoever volunteers to take on the admin.... bless you
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:06 pm

Also, Eric and Zac are totally stand up guys, but I imagine they have weights on their own shoulders, i.e. craziest Gonerfest ever in a post-blazing-Great-White-show-world, among others...

Kristen messaged:
I got a text message from Art saying that they were ok, but still stuck at the American Can Company in Mid-city. They were trying to get out as soon as they could.

pass a hat around at the GONER FEST for relief funds. it works at strip bars
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:09 pm

eric.....ask all your bands performing at the upcoming GONER FEST if theyre willing to contribute a portion of their take. thats only if you're paying each band, im not sure how you're handling the Fest with each band. good luck
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:12 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

oh man...honestly, I think the bands are gonna need it with (unconfirmed) news of gas being $5 gallon in Atlanta ........ but I want to contribute but don't know how/which way is best and agree with all you've said above ...AND if I do put on a show/get a benefit together where do I send it -- same dilema...I want to be fair but, not sure the best way.....
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:14 pm

oh man...honestly, I think the bands are gonna need it with (unconfirmed) news of gas being $5 gallon in Atlanta

and the people without homes dont? i dont get your logic
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:17 pm

Joe...have you talked to anyone on the gulf coast? i talked to a DOT guy i waved down on HWY 90 yesterday and he said the the car and train bridges are totally in the bay...i dropped ART off saturday morning at the American Can Company Lofts in Mid City...we were pretty wasted and that's the last i saw of him...i think i'm gonna make a phone call to Long Hardware in Memphis and see if i can pull shifts for the next week and just grab Rebecca and crash Reatard's house...shit i just got to Lafayette and i haven't had shoes for two days...i ran out of the cabbin i was in with only my pants on. could'nt find my shoes or shirt...i smell like poo poo...i'm gonna get good ol' mom to take me to get some clothes after a nap...GONER FEST MAY LAST ALL MONTH!!!

Jason if your reading this , remember the raised camp we were at in Pearlington? we were waist high in water in the kitchen on the second floor, brah!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:19 pm

anyone know any silicon valley do-gooders who might want to schmooze paypal into giving free (as in paypal takes no cut) accounts to katrina victims so that their friends can send donations that way? i think it would be great for their image, they'd probably get a bit of a tax break... and its the right thing to do.

i think anything that can be done to facilitate getting money into people's pockets with little to no hassle must be done. i'm going to try to look into this, actually... had a retarded brainstorm while i was putting out a work fire

meantime..... i suppose it wouldn't hurt, if you are a katrina-victimized, displaced NOLA goner, and you have a paypal account.... perhaps you could start an item where you all could list your paypal ID's that people can start sending $$ to if they are so inclined.

am i retarded about this? someone i know once collected $1500 for an emergency overnight that way.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:24 pm

and the people without homes dont? i dont get your logic

Correct. I just wanted them to suffer, that's exactly what I meant.
Good grief!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:27 pm

hmm....thats not how it sounded charlie brown
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:29 pm

Kristen messaged:
I got a text message from Art saying that they were ok, but still stuck at the American Can Company in Mid-city. They were trying to get out as soon as they could.

That sounds scary, considering what I hear Mid-City is like, but I'm glad he's okay.

Louie, I hope you are able to take a nice long bubble bath. I know I would. I'd send you some shoes if my feet weren't so damn small and my husband's feet so damn big!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:30 pm

craigslist is helping organize a lot of lost+found information, etc.:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/about/help/katrina_cl.html

i hope this is useful to someone here.

all my best to everyone affected.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:34 pm

I think it should be any Goner affected by Katrina.

I would just like to make it known that a girl named Katrina kicked me once in the 5th grade, as well as my television being overrun with footage of the hurricane's effects

please send money fast
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:44 pm

Hey Joe - it's Stephanie, I have emailed Amy on myspace, she and Switchblade and Nick are out of New Orleans. That's all I know. You might be able to get her on myspace. I think she's prob. checking that.

Eric, thanks for the Jason info.
Everyone get gas today. Our region here is expected to run out, as new shipments are delayed.

CHad, I know you are going to read this when you get home. I have tons of homework and won't be home til later. Love you-xoxox
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:47 pm

got a mess-age on myspace and art seems to be ok...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 12:49 am

Gary Loverde! you still in Nola? this is Brian in fort worth, lost your phone # and my cell is fucked up. If you and your gal need a place to stay feel free to give me a call....stay as long as you like. 817-378-0428
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 12:50 am

Kristen messaged:

at least they can loot some wine and cheese from the shop downstairs...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 12:55 am

LOUIE....they are hiring at the HARDWARE store 1/2 mile from my house
PANZER & Co......it's great to hear ya'll are okay, wanna tie some steel and poor some concrete?
i sound more desparate than any of these fools.
luv yall
Chad
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 12:59 am

Bateman, I'm afraid the house of mews is an entirely volunteer organization.
They don't hire anyone. I know a douche at the kennel I want to work at wants to quit. If he does I'll let you know.

Just speaking for myself, I trust Eric & Zac a fuck of alot more than the red cross.

Joe, I hope your people are okay. My prayers are with you buddy.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:04 am

I know a douche at the kennel I work at wants to quit. If he does I'll let you know.
Also, if any goners in Memphis are still without a place to stay, give me a call.
(901)388-4231
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:15 am

From Johnny Hotwheels:
Colby
Im in Texas right outside of New Orleans.
Rick slave is in alexadria last i heard. Sean is in Menphis with Chris. Keith is in Vegas with Marci and Ryan and the trashy diva girls.
Johnny
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:22 am

Anyone who knows of a bartending/waiting/record store job in Austin let me know....I work cheap for the 1st week!
email me at rocksoffrpm @ yahoo.com
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:24 am

Just speaking for myself, I trust Eric & Zac a fuck of alot more than the red cross.

i probably do as well BUT

don't you think they've done enough already? do you love them enough to not volunteer to burden them with administrative and tax hassles?

sorry to sound like a spoil sport and party pooper. i'm often the lone voice of dissent, so go ahead an pick on me.

whoever signs up to handle disbursement of funds is taking on a fiduciary duty that brings massive work and headaches with it, not to mention accountability on a federal level (IRS primarily). what do you expect eric and zac are gonna do if someone sends a check for $20 grand? unless proper paperwork is in place, they alone will get hit for the tax liability.

seriously people..... until conduits emerge where you have an actual organization that's collecting the money, but you really really feel like giving NOW - perhaps you should consider putting money into people's paypal accounts, using western union or getting postal money orders and sending them to where ever your friends are holed up.

there's a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross in the money-disbursing game. i know everyone means well, but there will be much confusion for days to follow. you can help people directly and immediately.... even if its buying them lunch, sending them cash, clothing....

but mostly..... please don't volunteer someone for a task that trained professionals don't even like to do.

if you feel like you really want to do something to help eventually when funds have been collected and have a conduit.... put together a list of known people in need, their presumed or approximate whereabouts, phone numbers or emails if you have em. that will always be useful and put this effort one step ahead when disbursement can begin

over and out in my lawyer hat.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:28 am

or send it to me and I will make sure it is spent properly, I don't know how much longer I can watch this footage on TV
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:29 am

Who's sending a check for twenty grand?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:33 am

are you? You're being an ass. Most of us are concerned with the well being of people we know. Your devils advocate stance isn't needed.
You either Beef.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:35 am | Edited by: jay reatard

steph....don't ever get that upity...unless you like getting punched! just kidding... thanx TK for another wordy over dramatic insult to someone that probably was just trying to be nice.
shut it, your condescending attitude is fucking boring....always
Chad
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:38 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

I'm just trying to bring a little levity to this place

look at me now, I've got a trashcan on my head

is jay reatard's real name chad? I thought it was Von Spoinger
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:44 am

why yes it is...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:13 am

Most of us are concerned with the well being of people we know.

and i'm not?

red state blues: why don't you volunteer to be the center of collecting, holding and disbursing donations, then? and then tell me at the end of the year how you're gonna file your taxes and account for those monies?

if eric and zac pipe in and announce they will gladly turn their business from a record store and label into a collecting/holding/disbursement center for charitable donations of cash, i will gladly kiss your ass in public.

AND i'll set up the Goner 501c3 paperwork for free.... although it will take YEARS for the IRS to recognize them as such, if ever...and in the interim eric and zac will pay out the nose for the pleasure of helping people at your behest.... but hey...i'm just an overly dramatic ass who's done this sort of thing before
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:16 am | Edited by: Amber

Hi, this is Brad X's wife. We have two rooms available in our house. I know it is way up in Manitowoc Wisconsin but I am willing to pay for up to four or so people to take the Greyhound bus here from any hub. The bus comes dirrectly to our city. We have plenty of food. We have only one extra queen size bed right now but are able to get more if needed. There are plenty of job opportunities here, colleges, etc. If anyone is interested, please e-mail at braddaugs at yahoo dot com or call 920-242-2494. Don't worry about completing the call, hang up, and I'll call back. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know, also children are not a problem.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:25 am

god you suck......shut it!
it's not going to happen....we get the fucking picture. go read something else and come back another day.
Chad
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:33 am

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:38 am

Fuck it. I'll set a paypal account tonight, and let everyone know where to send money. I'll worry about the IRS later.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:22 am

I wish you Orleans Goners and your friends all the best of luck.
Sorry this is happening.
My girlfriend and I would offer to put someone up for a bit but it'd mean a Vegas vacation and then you'd really run out of money.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:37 am

This is so terrible... I'm so, so sorry for all of you who've lost so much these last few days. Even just reading this stuff from far away this is heartbreaking. I'm not a pray-er, but I'm hoping that all of you and your loved ones come out of this safely. I wish I could do more to help, but the reality is that postage from Canada (to send doubles of records/CDs, clothes/shoes I've got set aside for the thrift shop, etc) costs more than just donating the couple of our $5 hockey bills I can afford. I doubt anyone would take me up on it, but if anyone wants a vacation in the Great White North, e-mail me through here.

Records are just things, but they're things that make you happy when everything is sucking hard. I did just buy a pack of blank cassettes... anyone want a mixtape?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:37 am

I don't know what to say. I feel like you just want to argue.

I think we're talking about two different things. I thought this was about small benefits and donations to help our fellow goners. To make sure that the people we gossip with all day about rock'nroll, who were affected by this, have a goddamn place to live. Memphis alone helped T.Money in his time of need. That would probably make Scott Rogers the book keeper huh.

I don't understand any of your fancy elay 501c3 talk. I'm going to stop talking to you now.

Money is tight for me right now, but to Louie, Martel, Bateman, and other displaced goners. I barely know you guys in the real world, but if you need anything, let me know.

Punk turns 39 is more like it.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:51 am

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!?!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:20 am

because I can't send red state blues a private message thru the board, chad's gonna have to skip over this since he thinks i'm full of shit.

Punk turns 39 is more like it.

I don't find that an insult, if that's what you were aiming for. For the record, I am 48, and I've earned every gray hair on my head the hard way.

For the record, I am also educated as a lawyer and my ears prick up when people are put at risk, even by well meaning, probably on-a-lark commentary. Maybe you think its crap, but I don't care. Being hated on is an occupational hazard. There's a class you take right after Cantankerous Asshole 101; its Thick Skinned Jerk-off 101.

I did not and do not want to argue, but instead had always offered information about charitable contributions and disbursements vis a vis the process by which the law proscribes them. Lots of people consider it advice.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to impugn my integrity by saying that I'm just here to debate you and that I don't care about the people who have been affected. But you're just full of frustration, aren't you?

Further, for the record, I am working with people here in NYC to help raise money in two folds for people put out by Katrina who really need it - yes. the individuals that we gossip about all day.... small direct donations such as the door money from small local shows, raffles at them, etc that people in need can receive and use immediately, as well as courting the large gifts for our "music community" from donors who do have the capacity to give large contributions.

One of those people is Jahna, who posted info above, which seemed to go largely ignored since what she wrote was either repeated as though it were new info, or questions were raised that she had already addressed. Whatever... no big deal. She is by trade, a fund raiser for non profits and her advice and insight are relevant.

She's doing the heavy lifting in organizing the gig in NYC and leveraging her fund raising experience in securing a fiscal agent to be the conduit for donations. I am doing the icky schmoozing with companies like Paypal and Western Union to lobby for and negotiate fee waivers for a whole class of customer - the NOLA Katrina victim, leveraging my professional experience on getting things for musicians for free. Only this time, the musicians are actually in need.

Yeah red state blues- we are talking about two things - and they are two different legs on a jackass. But at the end of the day you wanna get people money, so do I.

Most people know this - but since you feign ignorance: "Fancy elay 501c3" is the tax designation for an organization that does charitable work. It is exempt from income tax and is allowed to take in money/hold money/distribute money. Its not fancy talk. What you don't know CAN expose you to liability. The Red Cross, Salvation Army, Sweet Relief, etc. are all organized as 501c3's. They would not be allowed to accomplish their financial relief work unless they were so organized.

You help your way, I help mine. Taking up donations for one's friends is one thing.... we all pass the hat all the time. Lend money, give it away, whatever. However... this disastrous tragedy will yield an outpouring of contributions and it will grow beyond the simple passing the hat phase where one guy holds a few hundred dollars and takes it to the friend in need. Let us hope so at any rate.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:39 am

All hot girls from this tragedy can stay at my place. The more the merrier!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:49 am

did alienator end up going to law school? limiting the sidetalk to "it's not a good idea" might keep this as an open frame for person to person communication. thanks.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:01 am

Hey this is Butter from Jersey City, I'm good friends with Andy from Die Rotzz, if anyone sees him in Memphis tell him to call me or his brother. Any time I've been to NOLA everyone's been so cool, so I'm glad to see so many people I've met are alive, at least. Any news on the guys from the Paul Bearers, or Lynn Smith, or Marvin, or Pasta?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:04 am

I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC and have been trying hard as shit to get in touch with my Uncle down in Pascagoula. No luck there, pretty stressed out over everything. I've been in touch with some people in jackson, everyone seems to be alright, just very uncomfortable due to power outages and downed trees. My heart goes out to everyone from Nola and the coast. Good luck.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:06 am

My employer does matching gifts, so if there's any way to make this legal, please do so.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:21 am

Butter!
I rode up with Andy, Paul Rotz, Seth, Pasta & Lynn. They are fine.
Marvin went in another direction, I think. Maybe Texas. As for Pallbearers Richie & Bill- I dunno.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:27 am | Edited by: dale

Stef wanted to pass on that we are that we will also share our midwest hopitality too. We gots tons of space. Dunno if anyone wants to make the trip but we could spring for a couple of bus tickets too (We can't match Amber's deal on that though)...Kid welcomed too.

Oh, if anyone needs some kids clothes (particularly boys ages) down that way we have some we can pass along too.

smashintransistors (at) yahoo.com

Fuck. We've been talking about this mess all weekend. We can't imagine the mess y'all are going through.

Oh! I WORK for the Salvation Army and we we're overwhelmed with "donations" when the Tsunami hit. We had to explain that donating clothes for the victims was a commendable effort but what they need is money. It's easier to wire cash to a closer location where they can buy what they need than it is to fill up trucks/planes with used tossed aways. For this though, we have gotten nothing and no one has shown concern for those effected down there...Assholes. People a million miles away get them moved but being good Americans...who cares about those that lives in this country.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:33 am

Luke (Circle Bar/Happy Talk)....his girl Meghan(dba/Jacks),,,,Bailey (40/Happy) and his girl Amy are fine in Lafayette
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:38 am

sorry....Baileys g/f is named Emily
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:45 am

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:46 am

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:46 am

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:48 am

Think of all the porn/sex toys floating around. Eww!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:58 am

Not to mention all the dead animals and turds and smallpox! Eww!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:33 am

Well... I can't set up a Paypal account cuz I only got one credit card, and it's used for my personal Paypal account, and you can't use the same card on two accounts.

Lame. Someone should do this, though, as a means of immediate financial aid.

Good luck to everyone... we'll figure this out and start the money comin' in soon.

Hold fast.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:42 am

also-

I reserved the email address GonerRelief@hotmail.com

If someone is serious about doing the paypal thing, I'll gladly turn it over to you...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:46 am

Joe, you're an awesome dude to try to do so. The powers that be take donations (and their cut) seriously. If it were so easy to set up donations, Jim Baker would be back in business trying to tell you why Jesus needs a water park. Good effort to try, my man. Well done for spending the time.

In spite of the sniping wrought by anxious-ness (I have no idea if that is a word) previous in this post, 501c3 is the hurdle. Make one. Be the dude/dudette. It is a huge responsibility, if not liability.

I wish receiving donations were so easy these days. You're better off going through the neighborhood, collecting cash in a coffee can, and writing it all into a check to another charity these days.

Sad, but how it works.
Theresa, thanks for trying to help out. Keep it up in your parts (southern for New York).

As for Goners in need, I hope they post. We're all here for you, and can send direct. Ain't no shame in asking.

Night, y'all.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:49 am

Howdy all! Good to hear the NOLA Goners are turnin up OK. Looks like the town I grew up in (ocean springs) is leveled. I can't get ahold of friends or friends of the family that we knew stayed behind & are fearing the worst. It looks like Hiroshima down there.

Theresa K rocks you guys. She's a smart person (unlike myself) and real nice too. Unfortunately I ain't got no job which means no dollars to send right now but I can send someone a subway sandwich or somethin.
My heart goes out to the gulfcoast Goners. Stay tuff kids.-----dtrain
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:20 am

To King Louie (or anyone else who knows Rhodes Diablo)...Do you have any information about Rhodes? Last I heard a friend of ours talked to him 2 hours before the storm and he was at his house. I haven't actually met you, but am a friend of yours from myspace because of Rhodes. I have a lot of transplants here in Dallas from NO staying with me and my family and friends that are also friends with Rhodes and nobody has heard from him. You can contact me on myspace (I sent you a message) or my email address is lainielatshaw@yahoo.com
Any info is appreciated and I am glad you are safe.
Lainie
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:27 am

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:31 am

Scheisse ... that seems to be very shitty what happend there. Hope you're all fine.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 12:57 pm

If anyone knows about the whereabouts of AP Gonzalez,Rob Cambre,Mike Joseph,Brad and Xiomara Brewster,let me know thru here as well. Thanks again...

Just got an email from Rob Cambre --- he and Julie are at Rob's grandmother's place in Greensburg.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 1:40 pm

NEVERMIND THE LIVE 8
HERE's
THE GONER RELIEF!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:17 pm

Musicians missing.....anyone heard from Alex yet?

see below

Before NBC, MTV, or anyone else puts on a telethon to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, they might want to explore some ancillary issues. To wit: New Orleans is a city famous for its famous musicians, but many of them are missing. Missing with a capital M.

To begin with, one of the city’s most important legends, Antoine “Fats” Domino, has not been heard from since Monday afternoon. Domino’s rollicking boogie-woogie piano and deep soul voice are not only part of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame but responsible for dozens of hits like “Blue Monday,” “Ain’t That a Shame,” “Blueberry Hill” and “I’m Walking (Yes, Indeed, I’m Talking).”

Domino, 76, lives with his wife Rosemary and daughter in a three story pink-roofed house in New Orleans’ 9th ward, which is now underwater. On Monday afternoon, Domino told his manager, Al Embry of Nashville, that he would “ride out the storm” at home. Embry is now frantic.

Calls have been made to Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco’s office and to various police officials and though there’s lots of sympathetic response, the whereabouts of Domino and his family remain a mystery.

In the meantime, another important Louisiana musician who probably hasn’t been asked to be in any telethons is the also legendary Allen Toussaint. Another Rock Hall member, Toussaint wrote Patti Labelle’s hit “Lady Marmalade” and Dr. John’s “Right Place, Wrong Time.” His arrangements and orchestrations for hundreds of hit records, including his own instrumentals “Whipped Cream” and “Java” are American staples. (He also arranged Paul Simon’s hit, “Kodachrome.”)

Last night, Toussaint was one of the 25,000 people holed up at the New Orleans Superdome hoping to get on a bus for Houston’s Astrodome. I know this because he got a message out to his daughter, who relayed to it through friends.

Also not heard from by friends through last night: New Orleans’s “Queen of Soul,” Irma Thomas, who was the original singer of what became the Rolling Stones’ hit, “Time is On My Side.”

Let’s hope and pray it is, because while the Stones roll through the U.S. on their $450-a-ticket tour, Thomas is missing in action. Her club, The Lion’s Den is underwater, as are all the famous music hot spots of the city.

Similarly, friends are looking for Antoinette K-Doe, widow of New Orleans wild performer Ernie K-Doe. The Does have a famous nightspot of their own on N. Claiborne Avenue, called the Mother-in-Law Lounge, in honor of Ernie’s immortal hit, “The Mother-in-Law Song.” Ernie K-Doe, who received a 1998 Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, died in 2001 at age 65.

Dry and safe, but in not much better shape, is the famous Neville family of New Orleans. Aaron Neville and many members of the family evacuated on Monday to Memphis, where they are now staying in a hotel. But most of the Nevilles’ homes are destroyed, reports their niece and my colleague at “A Current Affair,” Arthel Neville. She went down to her hometown yesterday and called me from a boat that was trying to get near town.

“This isn’t like having two feet of water in your basement,” she said, holding back tears. “Everything is destroyed. I am just so lucky to have been born here and to have had the experience of New Orleans."

She confirmed that there had been rumors of dead bodies floating around her Uncle Aaron’s house yesterday. So far the Nevilles are unannounced to participate in Friday’s TV show.

And still there are plenty of other famous musicians associated with New Orleans who would probably like to be on TV if they’re high and dry. The Marsalis family comes from the city, and they’ve played at most of the well known clubs like Tipitina’s, The Maple Leaf, Preservation Hall and Muddy Waters.

New Orleans is also one of the few cities with a House of Blues. And Jimmy Buffet’s Margharitaville Café chain has a local franchise that is still an attraction. New Orleans’s trademark sounds are Cajun and Zydeco. So far none of the listed benefits have named an act that plays that kind of music
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:21 pm

I really don't know where RHOADS is !?!? i would like to think he's just hold up in his house waiting for a boat...i saw st. claude street and that's under...i worry about the detonations guys held up at spellcaster too...if they made it through the storm alive. they just need to stay put for a while...hope eric DRH bass player is well too...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:22 pm

Hey Bateman, thanks for the info, I fell asleep before I could read it.
Allison said Andy would wreck your apartment, but I don't think she meant like this! By the way, her family and she are safe in Houston.

If anyone wants to come to NY on the Jersey side, we can try to make room for you.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:35 pm

This morning I half-heard Lefty from the Circle Bar being briefly interviewed about the situation in NOLA on 880AM WCBS.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 2:54 pm

where is Eddie Bo?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:15 pm

not too helpful, but some info-
www.scipionus.com
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:41 pm

Everyone here is on the same side of things - we're going to try and figure out ways to help however we can. Theresa, thanks for all the advice. Chad's looking out for his buddies who have lost everything. Hope to see you soon, man. Mark Beef - you sound like a dickhead, but that's probably just your way of dealing with a fucked up situation. We know about the 501c3 problem as well, we're trying to find ways around it. Eric and I are looking into how we can best help our friends. As soon as we have more information, we'll let you know.

hang on, everybody...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:56 pm

This morning I half-heard Lefty from the Circle Bar being briefly interviewed about the situation in NOLA on 880AM WCBS.

What City????
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:58 pm

i heard via icki that tom hopkins and family are fine and in mobile, AL
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:59 pm

i heard via icki that tom hopkins and family are fine and in mobile, AL

Cool
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 3:59 pm | Edited by: Adam

What City????

WCBS is out of NYC. It was a very brief on-location report from NOLA.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:19 pm

possible goner relief solution:

i just spoke to my dad who is an episcopalian priest in arkansas. we can set up for donations to go to his 'discreationary fund' and he can then give the funds to zac & eric or directly to goners in need. donations given this way will even be tax-deductible (i know this goes against eric o's 'tax the churches' stand but what the fuck) -- anyways, i'll call goner later today and see if this is acceptable. we will set up a paypal fund and i can give an address for checks and whatnot.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:21 pm

Oh! I WORK for the Salvation Army and we we're overwhelmed with "donations" when the Tsunami hit. We had to explain that donating clothes for the victims was a commendable effort but what they need is money. It's easier to wire cash to a closer location where they can buy what they need than it is to fill up trucks/planes with used tossed aways. For this though, we have gotten nothing and no one has shown concern for those effected down there...Assholes. People a million miles away get them moved but being good Americans...who cares about those that lives in this country.

What about cash donations? Are you getting those? I'm still trying to figure out what "charitable organization" to donate to. My priorites are as follows: help out my peeps who lost everything first, then donate to whatever charitiable organization I think will give most of my donation directly to the people and not spend it on advertising, then help out some of the critters thru HSUS or the AZA, and, when the city is inhabitable again, help the economy by vacationing there again.

A friend of mine up in Boston had his grandma and aunt lose their home in Florida last year, and this year his sister and her family lost their home outside of Biloxi. That sucks ass. They're grateful to be alive.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 4:54 pm

anyone heard from BOBBY CHARLES?

he recorded one record in the early-70's with the BAND as his backing band. he wrote the song, See Ya Later Alligator, when he was 12 years old.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:25 pm

Hello? Anti-Christ ‘W’?

You know, just like many, I’ve been watching/listening the news WAAAY too much. At first it was because I was so worried for your safety. Now it’s just plain ‘ole disbelief.

Last night watching the news there was ONE common message from survivors, support staff and reporters ALL saying ONE THING. Where is the RELIEF? It’s THURSDAY and most STILL don’t have WATER! I know it takes a serious organized effort, but WTF?

Tuesday evening (I believe) they were showing how the SS-whatever ‘Iwo- Jima’ and SS-whater ‘Comfort’ (medical supply) ships were being sent in and that they were 100 miles off shore. Where the fuck are they? Those thousands of people standing around waiting to get on buses and whatever are still without WATER in NOLA, Al, Miss! Where the fuck are they?

Mr. Fucking W Asshole had a REAL opportunity to SHINE! And he appeared on the news AGAIN this morning saying help is on the way and talking MOSTLY about the impending energy crisis. What about the crisis AT HAND you fuck?. Texas, Ark, Florida, etc have sent more relief than the federal govt.

Our own fucking president can’t handle a catastrophe 500 miles from his own ranch? And he’s handling a war ion a other country?

I am livid! Sorry for the rambling message! But if there was MORE of a PRESENCE in fucking NOLA right now, those (bad) desperate people wouldn’t be becoming MORE and MORE of a danger by hindering rescue efforts! I am SO angry!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:46 pm

funny how he rushes to iraq to distruct the country within 24 hours of his "instruction to go in" - but says now that troops and aid will take a few days to reach the gulf coast. what about large planes dropping shit in like they do in the middle east?

i hate to sound like a conspiracy type of person, but our gov't is at an all-time low and they have us at their mercy. they're making it difficult for those people to obtain aid in this situation. it's sad. those states are surrounded by state after state full of supplies, police, military, medical aid etc. why do they have to wait for ships to make it around florida? it makes zero sense.

funny thing too....al of the shit going on within the gov't is now going to be buried by this disaster. the carl rove/cia thing is now swept under the rug, as is everyother blunder the bush administration has recently been involved in.....most people cant stand michael moore and his farenheit 9/11 movie...but at least he has the fuckin balls to show the public things that are happening.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:54 pm

the entire HOMELAND SECURITY department is bullshit too. if there were a homeland security department, there would have been a rapid response team sent in immediately to quell any looting, carjackings and protect the infastructure of NOLA, Miss and Bama. instead, Bush and his cronnies sit back and take time to decide what to do. also, the gov't probably wont ask for International help on a wide scale, because it makes us look weak.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:54 pm

All true-my friend.

And White House Spokes-dood is ANNOUNCING at the White House press-conf will do an ‘aerial’ survey TOMORROW! What about the one you did YESTERDAY, you pathetic piece of shit? And spokes-dood is being asked just the thing I bitch about above and he DODGED every single one.

And NOW he says ‘this is not a time to do any finger-pointing’. YEAH; that’s cause they’re ALL pointing to our president! Grrrr! I SO need to turn off the news.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 5:56 pm

yeah, good job scolding Theresa K. I'm sure she was really trying hard to make matters worse. Fancy "el lay talk" ?? my god, are you being ridiculous. As my batting cage buddies in Live Fast Die say, don't shit where you eat!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:03 pm

The government has been looting the Hurricane abatement project dollars from the Corps Of Engineers budget ever since we went into Iraq.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:10 pm

Hey NOLA & Gulf Coast folks - If it matters, you have my thoughts. If there is any folks in the country who can beat this shit and come out on top, it is you NOLA people. You have the grit and humor to do so. Someone find Eddie Bo, too sweet a guy to die this way.

For fed looting of NOLA flood control see:
http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id =1001051313

Scott S
Sacramento
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:34 pm

Hey dwight gooden fuck you asshole.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:42 pm

As we can all see her precious fema is helping loads.

I refuse to be talked down to by any self righteous cunt. Her or you.

My only point was that I would trust the goner folks with funds to help fellow goners get back on their feet, and she singled me out as an adversary to try to proove how smart and important she is.

So fuck you Dwight. Pussy.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 6:44 pm

thanks for that.

JUST TALKED TO MARVIN! he's in texas... are andy & paul still up here?

any news about Keith from Detonations?

will have more info on how to donate/where to send $$$ from any benefit shows soon- paddy bullocks to the rescue!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:26 pm

Marvin! Awesome!

Is Alex Chilton still MIA?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:28 pm

hey, everybody... calm down. don't be shooting at the people trying to help out. that's what's happening in N.O.

Goner wants to help, we will help, and we appreciate Ken's support. but, selfish as it seems, we'd like to do it in a way that doesn't fuck us up, too. accounting/fundraising isn't our strong suit. advice from people who know about this stuff is appreciated, too.

come by the store on saturday and we'll have the start of supplies for the new age. hot dogs, new socks, gift certificates for cosmetics/soap etc... like zac said, it's not much but it's the start.

you can bring stuff (or $$$) at the Buc on Friday or bring it by the store anytime.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:30 pm

Good job Eric and Zac. You guys are on the right track. Simple will get it done every time.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:36 pm

Way to go Paddy Bullocks! I never thought I'd be thankful for a church, but they are set up tax-wise to do that. Wondering if they are an acceptable org. for those companies that match funds... can you ask? I will research the tax code as well
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:39 pm

There's probably already a post on this somewhere, but does anyone have any updates on the condition of Uptown (flooding/looting)? I live a couple of blocks from Rocks Off on Lyons. I stupidly evacuated with a virtually empty car, taking only a pair of jeans, some shorts and a few t-shirts. If there is looting around there, I hope they enjoy all of my records and cds I left behind.

I hope all of the nola goners and their family and friends are okay. It sucks not being able to get info on people who may have stayed behind. I got into Memphis last night with 11 members of my family and my dog. They all lived in St. Bernard which looks just like the video of the 9th ward. It filled up with water over the roofs almost instantly. We're all staying in my cousin's home until we figure out what to do. I'll probably be in Memphis for awhile. If I make it to the Buc one night, chances are I'll be the one wearing the New Bomb Turks shirt since it is about all I have left.

I'm sure whatever way people decide to help it will be much appreciated by those affected.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:40 pm

Alix is still MIA as far as i know. and he don't belive in god so, no help there... i can say that his house is 1830's and it has a really spacious ski lodge type 2nd floor attic...he could actually stand in it and wait the storm out. it would'nt be like he was trapped in a crawlspace...hope he to safety...loomis

send all your $ to the goner store and write incare of KLOMB on the check. i'll make shure it get's to the right people...PANZER and CHAD, meet me at EVIL ARMYS house this weekend...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:52 pm

louie! I was hoping you guys didn't go to miss, but glad you're out. Alex is still missing, I think he probably went to the Quarter, I don't know...... he's a good swimmer...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 7:54 pm

Garret. Good to hear you and your family opted to leave. Our buddy here on Goner named 'Colbito' (Colby) works/owns (??) Rocks Off and started this group to help NOLA folks -- many are on there so it would be a good place to ask this question there too:

http://groups.myspace.com/nolarefugees

Colbito returns to Austin this afternoon and I'm sure he'll be happy to share any info he has if you don't get it from someone/somewhere else.

Additionally, he thought he was going on a weekend get-away and brought just enough for that as well.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:41 pm

We're harboring two NOLA "refugees" and have a little space left for a couple more if anyone gets stuck in Mobile for some crazy reason. Till you folks figure out what to do and can get back on your feet, anyway.

Our hearts go out to all you ninjas. Love Brooke and Neil.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:52 pm

Glad to see everyone is ok. Peg, Jason, Louie and Joe glad to see you made it.

Looking for updates on Brad and Xiomara, Mrs. Goubler, Alex C, Stephanie Stennett, Dale Ashmun, Chris Kirsch......

If you need a place to stay if you are in WI, email me.

If anyone cares, my mom & dad got out on Sunday and are Ruston with my brother. The house in the east is gone..... It sucks being up here in WI and helpless.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:59 pm

For any refugees in Memphis:
I just took about 10 LPs up to Goner for anyone that needs to start a new collection. Includes
Chipmunk Punk
Roy Orbison Greatest Hits
Johny Cash on clear orange vinyl asian bootleg
2 Jethro Tulls
Vanity 6 (you know you want it)
others... Yours for the taking

Also left 2 pairs of shorts (one pair made of pot or something).
4 Sonsabitches T-shirts

Another thought occured to me while I was there. Run to any record store and buy up some NOLA music. If you've already got some, buy something for a friend or enemy. That should help, too...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:06 pm

louie, have you heard anything from Gary Loverde?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:18 pm

I just heard on NPR that everyone's acting like animals right now. We knew that by the footage and other entries everyone's posted. But I just heard a little girl was raped at the Convention Center shelter.
It's depressing as hell, but think about all behavior we may not have thought about yet.
So sad.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:22 pm

If anyone cares, my mom & dad got out on Sunday and are Ruston with my brother. The house in the east is gone..... It sucks being up here in WI and helpless.

Melva, I'm really glad to hear that. . . for some reason I forgot your family was in New Orleans and that they were in Bourne, MA (that's where you were from originally, right???).

I was told Tommy Oliver moved to Florida a while ago. I'm still hoping to hear something positive about Kirsch and everyone else. . . I think Barry's mom is fine but isn't sure if her house isn't there.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:37 pm

I just want to say this is a really fucked-up way to get back in touch with people I lost touch with years ago (in some cases, when I left NOLA in '95). I hope everyone is well.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:40 pm

Andrea,

Yes, we were from MA, but I think after this they will move back to the homestate of Virginia. My sister and niece are also in Ruston.

I'm looking for many people I still am in touch with, but no news. I just saw Alex in WI in July.

It's funny, I've been in Chicago alot lately and have never run into Barry. Good to hear his mom is ok.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:49 pm

louie, have you heard anything from Gary Loverde?

Yes! Where is Unfriendly?
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 9:52 pm

Is there any need for baby clothes and little boy clothes? Friend just called me and said she had a big box of them. Not sure if any of the Goners in town have need of these...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:00 pm

They were playin' "Shit City" by Kajun SS here on the radio. Seemed appropriate.

Here's what the radio deejay said on the radio for you enjoyment: "The Kajun SS from New Orleans appropriately enough did a song called Shit City. Um, and uh, I'm sure, I worry about King Louie ya know? What is he doin' down there right now? I bet he's one of the people, now, King Louie is kind of a scumbag, I say that in the most affectionate was possible 'cuz I really do like King Louie but he's also a white person so when he's stealing from the drug store do they call it finding drugs or looting drugs? Yeah, I don't know if you've seen this on the internet but they're makin' a big stink about these photos, there's a photo of a black person up to their chest in water haulin' away a loaf of bread and it's like "this person is looting from the grocery store" and there's another picture of two white people, uh, with groceries and they're like "these people have found groceries from the grocery store, I'm sure they just, were just, sitting out somewhere for them to be found like the Easter bunny, he was just sitting out loaves of bread"".
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:10 pm

Louie, Dean from Les Turdz/Hotcakes put up a message on My Space saying he's visited Dwayne and Jason Turd and that them and their folks are doing OK. He left a couple of numbers,i'm gonna call him and get some more info later.

Melva,i appreciate the concern but i'm in Portland and was there when this shit happened.

Now i'm gonna email some people and see if they write back...
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:36 pm

Joe, I hope your family faired out ok.
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:46 pm

Garrett....no news on the Rocks Off area....trying to get in touch with Pepper (Le Bon Temps/COC/Down)....if anyone can find out anything he can.....Antionne, the Vet across from me, ....well, he's the only non-cop in his family, so he might know some things......

things will get better when the 504 cells start working.....

I'm staying with Sherry, my new guardian angel, for now, although I think I might have a place inAustin lined up(?)

Rocks Off Colby
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:57 pm

yeah, good to hear form Andreah and peg and melva too, shit don't know about dale...he's still takin' lots of ACID (even though he's fiffty somethin) so let's hope he grew wings and flew away too safety...alex is most likely ok and wadeing through the flooded quarter tellin some street kid in that soft warm voice of his "oh, you will go to europe"...fuck think i'm gonna try to hit memphis this weekend...SO KEEP IT WARM!!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 10:58 pm

peg...is j'nette alright!!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:06 pm

and LeVerde????
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:07 pm

i have not heard from the unfriendly 1...someone (can't remember who) said he's ok though...

colby...rock onn, brah!!!

oh yeah and on monday i walked up to the ez-serve food store on HWY 90 and tons cokes and candy and even a jar of pickles were washed out into the parking lot...i grabbed a bucket and me and rebecca nabbed it. did'nt set foot in the place...so i guess i found it...but i'd take a crowbar to any store front for a VAN HOLTEN or a FREE STONE!!!...call it what you want
Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:50 pm

Melva, thanks for the kind word...mom and Bernie have places to stay in north Miss. in case the probable has happened. Fran and Jack's house in Bucktown was flooded..I haven't heard from my Aunt and my cousins in Slidell. I hope thery're all right, along with Brewster and Xio, and their son. Their house was on the lake(brad, get in touch)
Louie, glad you're alive donkey...this isn't the first time I've been worried about you.
btw,my anti-looter stance is directed at the assholes looting rolexes and trackshoes, not the poor shmoes just trying to get some drinking water.
Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®