Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hurricane jitters
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 7:54 pm

Bateman, will you come over and spoon?
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 7:58 pm

Rocks Off will remain open regardless of how hard hurricane Katrina smashes into Mexico...
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 8:51 pm

wow i haven't even been paying attention. well if anyone wants to use this as an excuse to come visit me...come on. just stay outta steph's way when she's studying.

call me
Chad
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:04 pm

could be a bad one.

word on the street is matty will not be making it to town to DJ tonight at the circle bar.

sam & katherine are on the way to memphis.

we are staying put, maybe we will slink off late sunday night if it's looking dire, but probably not. we might also ride it out in peggy & dan's place, it's got 2 floors and might be above sea level. probably not though.

I've got a cordless circular saw if we need to cut an escape hole in the roof. saw = life.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:05 pm

if y'all don't know what we're talking about, look at this picture

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT12/refresh/AL1205W+gif/144929 W_sm.gif

if that holds true, it gonna get nas-tay up in heauh.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:06 pm

also look for gas to go up another fifty cents a gallon as that path would destroy one of the biggest oil terminals in the gulf, port fourchon.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:08 pm

At least you got to see Wheel of Fortune. Be proud of that.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:20 pm

I hope they're getting Pat Sajak to higher ground.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:22 pm

I know this is a different thread, but, I'm mad as hell they didn't let y'all yell "Wheel of Fortune". What a gip.

Anyway, y'all be carefull down there. How are the pumps in NOLA? It's slightly under sea level anyway, isn't it?
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:24 pm

the pumps can handle most major flooding from rainfall, but if the levees get topped out, all bets are off, the pumps will be completely submerged.

on that note, I'm cracking my first beer of the day.... now.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:26 pm

If I send a case floating down the river now, you should get 'em by Tuesday.
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:44 pm

does this mean the Rob Zombie/Mastadon show is still sold out?
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 9:58 pm

does this mean the Rob Zombie/Mastadon show is still sold out?

oh....the joke is that it's Monday night at HOB....
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Be careful y'all--remember what Hurricane Camille pulled way back in '69. Has a hurricane ever directly hit NOLA?
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 10:59 pm

Betsy kinda did the same thing in '65.......came from atlantic, hit the keys though.....headed straight for NOLA....hit west of the mouth at Grand Isle...
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 11:30 pm

i'm riding up w/ paul & seth & some puppy dogs (to jackson, then memphis).
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 12:00 am

I'll be looting michael's records in 36-48 hours.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 12:10 am

Pat Robertson will blame the hurricane on "Weed and Hennesey" and those who tolerate the No Limit lifestyle.

Take all your Shit Dogs records and your pets to safety!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 12:24 am

fuck it.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 12:29 am

i just took a walk down to the tchoup-stop and saw Lord George who was buying a sandwich. he said he's heading up to memphis too. so, if you see a big haired heavy metal hobgoblin- that's The Lord. Death to false Metal!

he said he can't wait to check out some tex-mex chain up there where you can throw your peanuts on the floor. i explained that we have something similar here, but he wasn't listening. this is just a crazy day for everyone in new orleans.

the super wal-mart even closed down at 4pm. that's pretty serious! i have a story that goes along with this, but i'll save it so i have something to say when i get to memphis.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 12:32 am

good luck beating the storm out of town. pictures of NOLA folks boarding up their windows are above the fold in the NYTimes online. yer big news. be safe
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 12:41 am

Yeah, y'all holler if/when you make it up to Memphis.

Sam, if you read this, my cell phone is working much better now.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 1:02 am

super wal-mart is closed? damn that is serious. I still need to fill my prescription for 1.75L of early times. hope my local merchants are still operating. I also need to get a wallet-full of what our mayor calls "the benjamins."
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 3:27 am

WR, I'm ready to go Monday about 2 a.m., I wonder if he has an R.U.R single?
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 4:15 am

fuck mempho .... come to buzzard's roost
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 4:30 am

here's my favorite "NOLA is f*cked" graphic:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT12/refresh/AL1205_PROB34_F120 +gif/030419F120.gif

more like "NOLA gets the Purple Finger"!!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 4:32 am

Stranded in New Orleans cos' my car ain't got no brakes. Luckily, I got a bottle of whiskey, carton of smokes an' plenty of ammo for my pellet gun to shoot all the snakes that flow over from the bayou. I'll see you fuck-o's at Goner Fest in my snakeskin hoodie.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 5:41 am

the best part about the cane is the aftermath, when the flood waters come up throw firecrackers into da water and scoop up dem crawdaddy's when they berl up to da top...firecrackers are chinese, right???!!! let's call it it even. no way fukkerrrsss!!!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 9:03 am

-remember what Hurricane Camille pulled way back in '69

Well..I just want ya'll to know that my momma almost named me 'Camille' as a result of that storm...she was holed-up inna public bathroom really preggers during it...apparently while my (fucking-asshole) dad was....
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 9:04 am

p.s. thank goodness she didn't
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 11:03 am

Okay we are officially throwing in the towel at this point, anyone in the Jackson, MS caravan (or in Jackson, MS) please call me when you read this. 504-669-4632. We're going to leave around 7:00 am hopefully.

-Chris
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 11:04 am

and no dis to you Chad, I actually would love to come stay with you and steph but you guys are going to be in the thick of that storm too and we might get rained out up there for days. better to stay close to home.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 11:06 am

pussies.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 3:53 pm

YEEEHAW, there's a storm a comin'!!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 4:27 pm

That Katrina looks INSANE. Who's headed to the Superdome? Seriously, be careful!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 4:41 pm

People are hiding out in the Superdome. Mayor said to bring food for 3-5 days. No mention of how many gallons of vodka you should bring.

And my wife said that tornados fuck shit up on the outer rim of the hurricane. Hope you goners are ok.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 4:58 pm

seems like a good time to raid that record collection, batemen!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 6:00 pm

man...I just turned on the glow-box to see about all this....damn...they're calling it a 'nightmare scenario'???

I wish the best for all of you sweethearts.
And your record collections too...
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 6:41 pm

break out your Quintron CD & listen to"hurricane".. the greatest theme song for hurricanes ever written & performed..."the big one's coming"...
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 6:43 pm | Edited by: lamb puppy

baaaa-rk.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 7:18 pm

hey I am in oxford Mississippi. maybe going up to memphis today or 2marrow to go shopping at goner. I have my cell phone but not sure if it's gonna be working soon beacause it's based in N.O. and mayb get shut down...I have my turntables and some rekkids so wouldn't mind dj'ing somewhere like the buccaneer...
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 7:31 pm

maybe going up to memphis today or 2marrow to go shopping at goner. I have my cell phone but not sure if it's gonna be working soon beacause it's based in N.O. and mayb get shut down...I have my turntables and some rekkids so wouldn't mind dj'ing somewhere like the buccaneer...

Brings up a good point; Goner is closed on Mondays, right? But there should be something going on somewhere for the NOLA folks. Can we put something together?
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 7:33 pm

Also, thinking about this: they're saying this is huge with possibilities of severe flooding in NOLA. The huricane is making a path up the delta and flood plains north. It's all dumping back into the Mississippi, and coming back down through New Orleans. Hmmm...
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 7:38 pm

Monday party at the Buccaneer? Pre-show at Goner?

Stay tuned!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 7:59 pm

all the cool people in mobile hope that nola is still there for the rockening.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:08 pm

DAAAAAMMMMMMM SON! That storm is buggin..... Hope everybody got out alive cause tonight is the night yo. Good luck y'all!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:23 pm

all the cool people in mobile hope that nola is still there for the rockening.

I thought about that too and then I felt really shitty for it.....damn you Katrina for being so 'organized'!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:26 pm

Calling Jason, hey, if you're out there, call. Cell phones not working. We are stuck here. We have one more chance at leaving, with Alex, but he might not want to, so.. I don't know. We have 2 bottles of Canadien Club
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:29 pm

Better get a raft Peg! Oh, also the tv was talkin bout them snakes comin up from the bayou when the storm surge hit. Better get yer flute too!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Better gO HaVe a sUpR WRONGTIME! sUppry oF Wonton nOOdle cRacKer-s! THey gO gOOd wiTH tHe WateR! WRONGTIME!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:34 pm

If I ever get outta here, I'm not comin' back, goodbye.. the computer will be taken apart in approx 10 minutes, I hate this shit
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:46 pm

peggy! I would drive down to get you and dan out if i could! but I don't think I could make it! I think that shit is blocked off.
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:47 pm

peg! come on up!

2 bottles of canadian club ain't gonna do it!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 8:47 pm

peggy call me on my cell phone
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 9:28 pm

matt and peggy!!! youse guys have fun in Memphis. Hope to see you after the caine!
Posted: Aug 28, 2005 11:39 pm

Hey, Michael! You left your phone here.
And I'm sorry I missed ya'll last night.
Glad you all made it to safety.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 12:09 am

Posted: Aug 29, 2005 12:21 am

holy fucking shit...
peggy and dan...like i've said previously, come up and visit me and steph it's only 5hrs (normally) from NOLA. same nola #....504 452 6686.

panzer and blythe.... get the fuck out and get yer asses up here.

art....come on up and bring all yer lovely young female entourage.
Chad
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 1:45 am

I was thinking, oh it's just another hurricane until I read this:

A statement from the National Weather Service in Slidell, near New Orleans, Louisiana, warned that much of the affected area "will be uninhabitable for weeks, perhaps longer."

Low-rise, wood-frame buildings will be destroyed, and concrete apartment buildings "will sustain major damage," it said.

"High-rise office and apartment buildings will sway dangerously, a few to the point of total collapse," the warning read.

"All windows will blow out. Airborne debris will be widespread, and may include heavy items such as household appliances and even light vehicles."
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 2:05 am

So Jackson wasnt good enough for you gaytards??? We were gonna have a hurricane part for you goons tonight & shit.

More beer for me.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 2:07 am

we will rescue everyone with the GONER HELICOPTER!

just send out the SOS and we're there!

no joking, hope everyone who stayed is all right. l
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 2:26 am

Have some friends from NOLA who just happened to be up here for a wedding this weekend. I asked them today when they were planning on going back and they said, "Really...it'll be months before we can go back." Said officials were talking weeks and weeks to even get the water level down to where New Orleans will be habitable again.
Also said to fill up your car with gas tonight. They're expecting the oil rigs to go, with gas prices taking another big upswing.

Y'all all take good care.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 2:56 am

Someone aksed me, and i din't know...

what do they do with folks in the hospitals?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:08 am

This might be helpful
http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:51 am

We care about our brothas and sistahs in NOLA. We just want you to be safe and to be able to return there after it's over. OK?

I hope you're all out of there by now.

Talk to you on the other side of the weather...
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:10 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Hope y'all get this while the power is still on. Y'all stay safe down there. If you made it up to Memphis, holler. Should be able to find something to do on a Monday night.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:22 am

I just saw a photo in the NYTimes online with a caption that "three Atlantic bottlenose dolphins were evacuated from the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport, Miss. to a hotel pool." Hope the city and state take as good care of humans as they do dolphins.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:27 am

NOLA Goners, PLEASE do tell us when you're safely away from Katrina....okay? Who are ALL of 'em?

Bateman
Martel (Womb Raider)
King Louie
Sambeaux
Colbito
Unfriendly
Matt Pendleton

I guess this thread brought up a few..

Peg
Art Boonparn

Man. It gives me the shivers thinking about what it's gonna be like tomorrow and the weeks to come....all that swamp land and all those critters agitated.....man.....that historic city...all those people holed-up in that facility probably not being able to leave for days....people stuck on the highways even now.....what you may come home to....unimaginable.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:34 am

Bateman, and martel are in memphis. I'm in oxford mississippi. King Louie and art boonparn I think are trying to ride it out. Peg was gonna ride it out but isn't answering her phone so I think she got a ride out of town with chilton.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:37 am

Ridin' the Storm OUT!

REO will pull ya'll through!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:04 am

Thanks Matt.
I wished someone wouldda been able to drag Louie away, that's a bummer, but somehow, I'm not surprised. I hope he got himself a case of potted-meat.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:19 am

i wonder whats going to happen with all of those cemetarys, floating coffins?, this whole thing has a creepy DOOMSDAY feeling , lots of buildings will collapse, poeple are going to die
larry king said this will be the biggest baddest meanest storm ever hitting modern day america
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:45 am | Edited by: jay reatard

louie, reb, art, blythe, panzer.....i hope ya'll bought plenty of ammo. dem crackheads are gonna be roofless (literally).
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:05 am

does anyone know why the hurricane is red on some stations and green on others.?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:08 am

we will rescue everyone with the GONER HELICOPTER!

didn't the shark get that one, or did the Dutch Masters guys get away?

I'm in Houston....on my way to San Antonio to find my stolen bike in the basement of the Alamo....

If NOLA is destroyed look for me in San Francisco or Chicago...unless they are hiring burned out bartenders at Goner.....
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:13 am

One channel had a white hurricane. It looked like cum.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:55 am

colby...i here the Castro is in need of a punk/indie record store.
theeeya there big boy........
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 12:57 pm

Chad just talked to Jason, He says it's raining in Jessica's apt. He and Blythe are riding it out! We haven't heard from Loumus.
Thinking bout Nola- Stephanie
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 1:42 pm

well I'm happy to see that it may not be 'as' severe this morining and NOLA won't be it's direct hit...

hang in there, everybody!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Just heard. Pieces of the roof coming off the superdome!
Hang in there my Mobile peeps too.
love- Stephanie
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:23 pm

hangin at andria's in memphis.... we were in good spirits until about an hour ago, then the room fell silent. levees are breaking on the industrial canal, reports of people trapped in attics in the 9th wd and eastern nola, reports of river levees breaking now.... city is FUUUUCKED. don't even know if it's going to be worth going back to pick up the pieces, if anything's left at all.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:25 pm

bateman, i'll be looking for you in memphis! You can't escape the wrath of the two tomatoes!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:26 pm

Katrina sounds like a chick who would give you a blow job at a kegger. Ya'll in NOLA will be aight!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:27 pm

Glad to hear your outta ther Chris. I tried to call you last night to no avail.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:42 pm

Just in....NOLA levees will hold. Anyone know if Mashburn or Birdman are hunkerin down and ridin it out? Hopefully everyone isn't getting their cooter browned too bad.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 3:45 pm

NOLA under Tornado watch until Noon today as well, DOUBLE WHAMMY perhaps (just heard about it on the weather channel)
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:13 pm

Levee has been breached.....

.. A LEVEE BREACH OCCURRED ALONG THE INDUSTRIAL CANAL AT TENNESSE STREET. 3 TO 8 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED DUE TO THE BREACH...LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO ARABI AND 9TH WARD OF NEW ORLEANS.

This is where my daughter lives......crap.
She's here in Memphis thank god
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:35 pm

my earlier post was a tad dramatic... watching fox news will do that to you. switched to cnn now i'm starting to feel better about the prospects of our house still being there when we get back. in some capacity at least.

me and the old lady have hundreds and hundreds of 45s with no sleeves just sitting in the living room, I imagine those all took off like frisbees if our windows blew out, so there's probably shards of vinyl sticking in the walls and shit, should be a funny sight.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:36 pm

and that levee breach is the exact same thing that happened in hurricane betsy 40 years ago, you'd think they'd have prevented it from happening again, those fuckers. fats domino's house is a goner!!!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:43 pm

Mr Quintron get out? I know his bar is a ship but i'd imagine that's all under water now...

Martel! The Visibile Man lp... noooooooooo!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:49 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

oh by the way, that flooding is limited to the LOWER 9th ward, which is the area east of the industrial canal... UPPER 9th ward is still okay, which is where quintron lives (and probably your daughter as well, Golightly)

hope Q got out okay though. nola.com reports "Uptown New Orleans has been hit with extensive wind damage in the Napoleon Avenue area." which is where Jason & Blythe are holed up, hope they're doing okay.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 4:53 pm

I saw a really bad flooded street photo from Uptown in today's online NY Times.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:20 pm

I'm hopin' Panzer, blythe, and King Louie are all right. they are a tough breed so I think they will make it through the flood! were are Peggy, dan , and alex ? cell phones don't seem to be workin'.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:35 pm

peggy and dan made it to memphis a couple of hours ago, they left new orleans at midnight last night!!!! i'll spare the details but alex gave them his car keys and stayed, boarded up in treme.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:37 pm

We made it to memphis, left at midnight, alex would not come with us but gave us his car. Matt? Where are you? we're at Dimitrie's. I am worried about jason, blythe, jessica, manny, alex, it's worse than being there..
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:42 pm

p.s. Jason told me yesterday that louis evacuated a while back
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:45 pm

well that's good news, but Jason and Blythe and Panzer shouldda left...

Can someone direct me to streaming live news coverage outta NOLA...I use real player (free version)...I keep diggin and I'm getting nothing...NOLA.com only has clips.....or direct me to somethin else??
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:48 pm

Peggy! Glad you made it out. If you all need anything, call me or Sylvia.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 5:59 pm

Lo blesses you two. we are so glad to be at ow friends home in at der city on de bluff. @ this time, it feel sick to be away w/ wondering of our friends that was stayin'. i know they tough, but I'll worry.
We'll calls when we can.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:05 pm

i was listenign to npr this a.m. and an 'expert' was saying how the storm is whipping up all sorts of shit and dumping it in the streets. things like alligators, snakes and toxic waste. when it's all over it's going to be man vs. mutated beast locked in a desperate battle set in a post-apocalyptic world.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:09 pm

I am officially sick of hearing about Hurricane Katrina. I like your vision of post-storm N'Awlins, arman... we should film THAT...
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:13 pm

I've had the Weather Channel on since my brunch guests left yesterday.

Sherry --- weather.com has streaming clips too, but I don't have their player on my computer. The TV component of the Weather CHannel has their hosts saying things like "there's very little data coming from N.O." as if the idiots watching can't figure out w/ that powerful storm, surely all the things you need to transmit data and images are kinda fucked up

glad to hear folks got out. Weather Channel and various newspapers reported that the Superdome roof got peeled off in two sections..
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:19 pm

I'm in oxford Miss. we'll try to call ya. we are thinkin of comin' up there today or maybe tomarrow? I wonder when it'll be o.k. to go to new orleans. probably not tomarrow. huh?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:20 pm

best news coverage of Katrina: on fox news some reporter was on bourbon st. and says:
"there is a sign flying off of a bar and flying down the street...it says "RICK's CABERET"........
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm

when it's all over it's going to be man vs. mutated beast locked in a desperate battle set in a post-apocalyptic world.

just the summer blockbuster i've been waiting for!
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:23 pm

best news coverage of Katrina: on fox news some reporter was on bourbon st. and says:
"there is a sign flying off of a bar and flying down the street...it says "RICK's CABERET"........

my lone trip to new orleans involved rick's caberet and stripper drugs. and likely liver problems later in life.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:25 pm

"when it's all over it's going to be man vs. mutated beast locked in a desperate battle set in a post-apocalyptic world. "

I think that describes parts of New Orleans even without a hurricane
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 6:37 pm

Yo, June Gibbons and Peggy....glad you guys got out of town. Give me a call if you need anything when you get a better picture of what's going on. You guys are not with cellular any more, are you?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 7:15 pm

I just saw footage of a shopping cart traveling 2 mph across a parkinglot
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 7:58 pm

is this thing almost over with.. er what..? i havent been payin attention either.. The Rockening on a barge?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:27 pm

Eric-
Don't know if you found it on that site, but most time hospitals move who they can. Those they can't wait it out. The hospitals, news stations, etc have huge systems with back up UPS/generator/battery units that will give them power. More than likely it will only support what is necessary, so the nurses will be walking down the halls with flash lights.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:29 pm

I just saw footage of a shopping cart traveling 2 mph across a parkinglot

was it full of aluminum cans and being pushed by an emaciated crackhead?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:36 pm

Living in Florida as I do, I must say the worst part of this (other than death/your home being destroyed) must be for the people who have to gather in masses at that football stadium. I had to spend the night in a high school gym during one of our hurricanes, I was surrounded by crazy crack heads who were talking to themselves, and psychotic bums who smelled like they just shit their pants. People were more worried about somebody robbing or attacking them than they were about the hurricane. I imagine the N.O. stadium situation is that multiplied by 1,000.....
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:38 pm

at least some drunk chick might show them her tits
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm

it isn't mardis gras, arman!

when it's all over it's going to be man vs. mutated beast locked in a desperate battle set in a post-apocalyptic world.

That's why Panzer had to stay. I don't know which side he's going to be fighting for, though.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 8:54 pm

Good luck y'all.
I think the worst should be over by now, right?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 9:03 pm

I hope everyone's doin' OK down there,and will have as little damage to their homes and posessions as possible!

My Mom ,one of my Sisters and Brother In Law safely retreated to my Aunt's house in Clanton,AL. My mom's house is pretty close to the beach,i hope it didn't get hit by pine trees(like what happened to our house in 'Goula during Hurricane Frederick) or a storm surge! My other sister works at a Motel 6 on the beach in Biloxi but got moved to a location in Gulfport that's a little further from the fray (but not much). I don't know what happened to my neice,her husband (nephew?) and little Matthew but i have to assume the best--- i haven't heard of any casualties from this storm yet.

Of course it would suck to come back to the Crescent City only to find out the Nutrias have taken over and all the humans have been enslaved! That would be a stone bummer.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 9:10 pm

rocknrollnurse- hey that's what I called my "nurse" costume for Halloween a couple years ago. I chased everyone around with a giant plastic syringe, then I'd put on some surgical gloves suggestively. It was hot.
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 10:02 pm

nebody heard from Jason or Blythe?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 10:06 pm

alex is , smattered, shattered covered smothered +diced and ++++ bless-ed The flood is only 5 feet in his neighborhood anyone heard from marengo street or Lefty?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 10:32 pm

i talked to panzer at 6:30am.....roof missing above stairwell, house-rockin' significantly.
that's all i know. anyone here from john henry and the detonations camp. i know he recently sold his lower 9th house and has been living at the spellcaster.
peggy...how much canadian club you got left?
luv
Chad
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 10:49 pm

Quintron is in Virginia...
talked to him a few days ago...
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 11:05 pm

Chad /canadien club=gone how are you all there?
Posted: Aug 29, 2005 11:44 pm

Peg - Rob in Toronto, here - relieved to hear you and Dan got out ok. Alex? of course he'd stay...no one tells Alex what to do! George R. is kinda on my mind - I think of him in the Dome with his ma, sharing snacks with street crazies, gesticulating at the roof and just generally being such a pain in the ass that they turf him out...
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 12:00 am

Jason text messaged me, they got through it.. skylight got ripped off the house and roof partially gone.. his apt is.... wet.

saw some pictures on nola.com of magazine st. near cadiz, neighborhood looks pretty trashed but no flooding, hope rocks off is okay, looked like a ton of wind damage around there.

treme is supposed to be one of the badly damaged neighborhoods for some reason, I guess the pumping station couldn't handle it or something. I haven't heard much about my neighborhood. I assume there was some flooding, not sure how much. A levee on the 17th st canal broke and flooded lakeview, then the water went down robert e. lee and into bayou st. john, which overflowed its banks.

they're saying no electricity for 1-2 months... the city is going to be a total warzone. I should probably buy a gun.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 12:39 am

I know what happens at hospitals during a disaster..you don't get to go off duty..that what's not hot about being a rocknroll nurse for real..but my question is..what happens to the zoo animals?...did they get to evacuate?
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 1:02 am

OMG. They just showed the first chopper images on Fox of some 'neighborhood' covered in water as far as you can see in any direction, but didn't say what part of town....

Glad to hear J&B are doing as OK as they can, thanks for sharing, Chris!

But those images are nasty-bad-flooding..almost to the roof-tops...
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 2:00 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Yeah, it looks scary as hell. I heard those flooding shots were of Treme and Lower 9th Ward.

We're still moving there. A flooded NOLA still kicks some PDX ass.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 7:13 am

yep...i'll second that fierydrunk...
Portland sucks some cock and i was
just planning on going home till this happened...
at least the construction industry will be flying high
when i get there.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 3:07 pm

it isn't mardis gras, arman!

it was for the hurricane!

just out of curiosity i tried calling sam yesterday, but got the ol' 'all circuits are busy'. hope they're ok.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 3:23 pm

Hey Peg, I am so glad to hear ya'll are ok. We are good hear other than being worried sick. From the pictures I have been looking at Alex's house should be flooded. I hope he went to higher ground that numbskull. I think EVERY neighborhood is flooded except for Canal Street and some Uptown. I have been trying to text J&B to let them know the levee is breached and water has been rising, even into downtown hotels, but I cannot get a signal in "the roost." I want them to keep an eye out for water rising if another levee goes. Could someone try and get that message to them. Do they have a battery-operated radio or tv? Sam- you live in NOLA...why don't you already have a gun?
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:00 pm

Sweetheart...if J&B did have a signal at all the there is surely no charge. It appears there's no way to stop the water either or get rid of it...

Is 10 east AND west underwater??
Is what's left of Katrina hitting Memphis area yet?

It's really difficult for me to do anything thinking about this mess!
This is just so sad…someone said it right, it’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Steph, what area of town is Rocks Off?
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:17 pm

I still have a NOLA cell number and the only messages I can get are text. A friend told me she got a text Mess. from Blythe yesterday after the storm. Your prob. right about the charge.

Rocks Off is Uptown, not too far from J&B. I hope Colby got all the records off of the floor!
Colby, any word? I know Rami (Ballzack) is still there and says he saw people looting yesterday, but that Uptown did not look flooded. I am just worried about further breaks.
Jeezus. I have got to stop watching the news and go to school.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:26 pm

I am just worried about further breaks.
Jeezus. I have got to stop watching the news.

Ditto.
Send the Goner Helicopter now!
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm

What was left came through Memphis last night. Half the city and county schools were closed today with power outages, my stepdad's house has a tree on it, but all in all it wasn't that bad. I think it was worse out in Bartlett.
I was surprised that we had damage at all, as my house is always the first to lose power, and I have it this morning.

Thanks for all the info on the board. I've had people from down that way calling me all morning wanting to know what's going on. I've been able to tell them what's been reported here, and they've been grateful for any little bit of news.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:28 pm

So . . . did Louie and Art evacuate??

What about Kirsch? Does anyone talk to him anymore? Where is he?

Anyone know Rich Speigel or Mark Williams? Are they okay?

I'm sure there's other folks I can't think of . . . I'm glad to hear the folks who have checked in are okay whether they rode it out or evacuated. It's only been 10 years since I lived there.

Oh, and I second the person's question about the zoo. I'm wondering if Antoine and the komodo dragon are running loose in the park.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Rocks Off is Uptown, not too far from J&B. I hope Colby got all the records off of the floor!
Colby, any word?

no.....except that the 17th St. Canal broke open 200 feet at the old hammond highway bridge on the orleans parish side.....water from the lake is pouring into the streets...everything is @3 feet high at the least, merch-wise....windows boarded....front door nailed shut from the inside...

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2005/08/30/m yers.katrina.levee.break.cnn&wm=10

this levee breaking might be the worst....

Art and Louie called me drunk at 6am on Sunday....called me a pussy for evacuating and hung up on me....

I'm on a tour of Texas....Houston 2 days ago...San Antonio yesterday and today....Austin this afternoon maybe.....

for the first time in my life I've researched one-way flights....might go somewhere (Chicago, San Francisco) and get some work for a few weeks, who the hell knows?
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:52 pm

they've declared martial law. this sucks so bad i don't even know what to say. i hope everyone we know stays safe and gets out ok.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:54 pm

Posted: Aug 30, 2005 4:54 pm

colby...i here the Castro is in need of a punk/indie record store.
theeeya there big boy........

I might need to go to the Castro to make some quick ca$h.....

pray for my ass, literally....

does this disaster make 9/11 jokes O.K.?
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 5:03 pm

Art and Louie called me drunk at 6am on Sunday....called me a pussy for evacuating and hung up on me....

Crap. . . where are they located? Are they at least uptown where they can loot the Whole Foods for some yuppie food? All kidding aside, I'm worried 'bout those guys. They crazy.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 5:13 pm

Colbito! Dood, you may as well have a drink with me!! I have this evening off!! I would love to meet you since it appears I won't get to for the Rockening....

Email me if you're interested...first round is on me...RiffScandell@hotmail.com
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 5:16 pm

And I have an empty bedroom with two beds in it also!
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 5:17 pm

And I have an empty bedroom with two beds in it also!

slut
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:02 pm

just planning on going home till this happened...
at least the construction industry will be flying high
when i get there.

It looks REALLY bad today, but lak we sed...we'll be there next year. It'll be a good time for Hollis to be in school and me, well social workers will likely be more in need than ever (if that is even possible)!
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:24 pm

9th ward RIP
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:34 pm

John Henry was up yesterday, i think he's en route to hang with Julien in Arkansas... 4 wheeling it over there.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:48 pm

Just got a email from Jody Stephens....he has heard that Alex is okay.

The news of bodies floating in the Bywater area is sobering.

My daughter teaches in the red school in the French Quarter....she is worried sick about her kids.

God bless the people of New Orleans
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:53 pm

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/national-50/11 25420841269302.xml&storylist=njkatrina

Looting begins in New Orleans
8/30/2005, 11:47 a.m. CT
By ALLEN G. BREED
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) ? With much of the city emptied by Hurricane Katrina, some opportunists took advantage of the situation by looting stores.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" ? the radio code for police ? and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry stores.

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as National Guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 6:57 pm

daaaaaaaammmmnnn!
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 7:05 pm

Looking to donate to any relief efforts, I'm thinking of the Red Cross, but is there a local organization that might be more effective in helping folks?

I'm thinking for NOLA, Biloxi, or wherever in the vicinity, though of course who knows if a local agency could even deal with getting money right now.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 7:12 pm

unless i'm mistaken, martial law gives the national guard the ok to shoot looters. which is fine with me.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 7:15 pm

Red Cross is great and likely the most efficient agency at this stage of things. I am not sure where you live but you can usually contact Red Cross or United Way in your town and ask what agencies are mounting up to provide relief services and what the best way to help would be.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm

Just FYI, Boonparn posted a comment to Louie's Myspace profile Sunday afternoon that indicates they "parted ways" sometime that day. So, it's possible Louie left the city.

I'd say go with Red Cross or United Way for donations. . . I don't know if the local agencies have an HQ right now (the Times-Picayune evacuated their building this morning), and I'm 1500 miles away so that's what I'm gonna do is donate to the Red Cross.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:14 pm

my mom's house is probably gone; we dunno for sure til she gets word from her town's mayor.
i know paul's family got out, but the lines are down; hoping their houses are ok.
Congrats, Looters, you just drove what little remains of Nola's economy right out of the city...hope you enjoy the miles-long walk to the last open supermarket in town after this, but hey, you "got back at Society", right? Fucking Morons.
anyone moving up to Chi. after this, lemmie know if i can help out with the move: bgoubler@yahoo.com
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:27 pm

my mom's house is probably gone; we dunno for sure til she gets word from her town's mayor.
i know paul's family got out, but the lines are down; hoping their houses are ok.

Shit, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad your family and Paul's are okay.

I guess we won't know anything else for a while, since no one will have electricity and cell phones do need to be recharged.

Same goes with anyone wanting to move to Boston. . . It's fucking expensive but you'd get a warm welcome. We don't have any good crawfish though.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:33 pm

To everyone reading, this is Chris Martel.

Every piece of information I have suggests that our house is flooded up to the roof by now, meaning everything Lilli and I have is a goner. So, whatever. Jason just left a message on my voicemail saying he rode a bike up Napolean and the water was waist deep going towards fountainbleau. Mid City and Lakeview are completely submerged.

we're all just sticking it out in memphis. don't really know what else to do at this point. Lilli is probably going to fly to Seattle to hang with her family for a few months, her job in New Orleans is not going to be there. If anyone can score her a bartending gig or something there, lemme know. don't know what else to say at this point, besides FUCK.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:45 pm

Damn guys I'm really sorry. Chris/ Sam/ Katherine if you can make it up here (I know we aren't vactioning there now) lemme know. We'd love to have you.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:52 pm

chris i'm so sorry to hear about your house. as joe said you are all welcome at our place anytime.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:53 pm

Damn, Chris. That's horrible. St. Jude needed some System and LAN admins, last I checked (if you're gonna be stuck here awhile).
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:53 pm

my thoughts are with all of you NOLA folk through all of this. my condolences or whatever you say in a natural disaster. good god.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:58 pm

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

like any city, when something of this magnitude happens, is gonna stay "sophisticated" and none of it's citizens will possibly break some laws

she should have gone to Branson, Mo instead
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:59 pm

Unreal. What are people saying about how long it will take for the water to go down? If this can be any consolation, when I was a kid our house on the Spring River (built in the early 1910's) was completely flooded out when the Spring went all the way up the bluff, past the homes and to the highway. I think it was at least a week before all the water went down, but when we went back, even though the old steel suspension bridge had been washed away, along with several of the "Rio Vista Mansions" (our house was considered a shack)...the little cabin remained. We even salvaged all of our quilts, dishes and most of the old furniture. We even found our canoe. It still is standing today. So don't give up all hope on your New Orleans.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:06 pm

Damn

Best wishes to all you folks
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:12 pm

Damn. Fuck. Slide #3 horrified me the most.

Chris -- I'm sorry to hear about your home. I've read your blog, and I'm glad you made the decision to leave. I hope something good (whatever that is) can come out of this for you.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:12 pm

Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:15 pm

Martel. Talk to Joe Pestilence about the bartending gig or I can give you a few other names later.

We've had people coming into the kennel all day with horror stories.

Can we get a head count? Where's everybody at.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:22 pm

This is nuts:

Jeff Parish President. Residents will probably be allowed back in town in a week, with identification only, but only to get essentials and clothing. You will then be asked to leave and not come back for one month.

Where is everyone gonna go?

Okay, I'm gonna stop posting so people can check in and i'm not clogging up the board.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:29 pm

Just heard on CNN (press conference with the Governer) that she is planning to evacuate the entire city...
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:35 pm

Hey , I have some clothes and a couple of pairs of shoes that I've never worn if anyone needs stuff like that. I would be more than happy to send it to a Goner rather that give them to the Goodwill. Let me know if anyone needs such and I will let you know what I have and the sizes. cbarr@humana.com
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:58 pm

Let Katherine know that I'll mail her & Sam stuff if they need it. My regular size clothes would likely be maternity for her! We aren't doing well right now but we always have extra stuff around if needed.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 10:11 pm

URINALS - Black Hole 45 (Happy Squid, 1979) handwritten labels
Minimum bid $200

HITLER SS / TAMPAX - UFO Dictator EP (Compact Cassette Records, Italy 1979) both inserts & hand-decorated p.s.
Minimum bid $300

SHITDOGS - History of Cheese EP (Pangolin, 1981) w/ insert
Minimum bid $400

TOXIN III - I Rock, I Ran EP (Vinyl Solution, 1982) w/ insert
Minimum bid $200

L. VOAG / HOMOSEXUALS - Move 45 (Sesame Songs, 1979) w/ insert & unique pastel-art-on-canvas p.s.
Minimum bid $200

DANNY WHITE - Loan Me A Handkerchief 45 (Frisco) '60s - Thee finest NOLA Soul 45; wr. by Earl King. Extremely rare.
Minimum bid $250

MORGUS & THE GHOULS - Morgus The Magnificent 45 (VIN) early '60s NOLA rocker w/ Mac Rebbenack (Dr. John), Huey Smith etc.
Minimum bid $150

DON MICHEL & THE MISFITS - Hey Little Crawfish 45 (Pierre Part) Lo-Fi '60s Cajun / country brill'ness. Mike-Hurtt-RARE.
Minimum bid $200

SANFORD CLARK - Still As The Night 45 (Jamie) wr. by Lee Hazlewood; Al Casey on gtr. Late '50s morbid downbeat Rockabilly devoid of "a'buh buh bay-beh bay-beh bay-beh"s... Not that rare, but in great condition- and just GREAT.
Minimum bid $50

THE COON HUNTERS - We Don't Want Niggers 45 (Reb-Time) South Louisiana artifact. Better than that hack Johnny Rebel. Catchy as all get out. Offensive to somebody. Early '60s, I think.
Minimum bid $50

All are original 1st pressings.

Condition = Saved from the cane / Not Drowned++
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 10:25 pm

that was brilliant, made my day, thanks bateman.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm

just saw the mother in law lounge including antoinettes pink limo in about 5 feet of water on cnn what a shame
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:37 pm

NOLA Donkeys,
If ya get sick of the south and wanna take a road trip. I can take some peeps in. Ya know my number. Chicago=no water.
-M
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:40 pm

best coverage i've seen so far
check out these photo galleries
here's the address:
www.nola.com/hurricane/photos/

Gallery 8 for august 30th has some interesting photos
including one of all the opp inmates stuck on the interstate

Colby: Citizen journalist photos for the
29th has uptown shots
near valence on it...no rocks off however

lots of great looter photos..including one
of a flaxenhaired crackhead with a recycling bin
full of Heineken AKA "green pickles"
he's in gallery 4 for the 30th

i just spent about an hour looking through every photo...
some amazing shit...looks like the twin spans are demolished so
getting back by car will be most likely impossible...
anyone wanna hang in portland...come on up!
it's mad gay but beats swimming in doodoo feces infested water.
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:53 pm

LOUIE WHERE ARE YOU????
Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:58 pm

LOUIE WHERE ARE YOU????
(scooby voice)
OOOHhooooVEeeerHEEeeeerre!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 12:23 am

Some people might have to stay here for a month or two maybe is what Bateman said. I think Heather has to move to Baton Rouge for a while b/c she was supposed to move back to NOLA today. Is NOLA gonna recover or is CNN blowing this outta proportion?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 12:32 am

For any Goners or friends of Goners staying in Houston. Here's a link for free or discounted things in Houston to do for refugees. Hopefully this will help keep your mind preoccupied for a short period of time.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news%5C083005_local_entertainmentlist.html

Take care
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 12:47 am

Lacey in all honesty I don't think anyone knows a reasonable timeline right now. this is really a one of a kind disaster that people have no experience handling, there is no previous precedent for it. and there is so much destruction, not just in new orleans, that resources are going to be spread very thin trying to get things running again. will new orleans recover? yes but it will take YEARS. and I think a month or two is probably a reasonable guess for people going back home.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:14 am

to any of my friends....i have a job now and a little money, plenty of clothes and food, and a/c...get in touch i'll buy your gas, come stay a while and dry your eyes... i love you all
504-452-6686 (probably won't work)
504-905-2121 (probably won't work)
steph's mom's house will definitely work 334-514-0811 just tell her who you are and give her a way we can call you.
jethrowrecords@yahoo.com
buzzards_roost_shapeshifter@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/shatturd
Chad!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.myspace.com/jethrowrecords
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:37 am

Mayor Nagin just announced that attempts to close the breach in the 17th street canal have failed and they are giving up....the pumping station there has also failed....they said expect the water to rise 3-5 more feet throughout the city.....

I'm in Austin....i might stay here....it seems nice...and still kinda close, although i might move to wetumpka alabama and become an indentured servant to chad and steph....

everyone keep there hopes up......

email me with job leads and ideas
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:38 am

just talked to jess goldfinch telling her to GET THE FUCK OUT, a point that she was well aware of- the water is starting to rise uptown now, including her place. her, manny, jason, and blythe are hitting the road for ft. worth asap. i am very, very worried about them, I'm assuming jason will have firearms, and it sounds like he might need them.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:41 am

chris....have lilli contact my seattle friends:

morgan engle (morgan@kingblind.com)
and kurt reighley (kurtbrei@aol.com)

i will email them both and tell them to expect to hear from her. i'm sure they can help her find something - they're both freelancers with their ear to the ground.

by the way, lilli and i have 2 degrees of separation...(tara & justin), so please tell her that she can feel free to refer to herself with them as "theresa's friend"

good luck
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:44 am

Whoever needed leads on bartending jobs in Seattle area, drop me a line. Someone I know is about to call it quits at the Comet (on cruddy Capitol Hill, but sweeeeet tips). Dont know when, but if not soon, will maybe know some places lookin' for peeps.

christrashcan at themexicanblackbirds dot com

Sorry for all the bullshit you peeps are going through. I moved up here to Tacoma right after Hugo dessimated shitty South Carolina, but it was nothing like this one. Thoughts are with ya.

ct
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 1:56 am

I can let Katherine and Sam stay at my place as long as needed. Me and Bateman are at Krissy's and there's room over here and upstairs Jack O. and Brent offered a place to stay. Martel, you can stay with us no matter what. Just let me know. xo-Lacey Fitz
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:03 am

we're fine at andria's.. .power is back on here. THIS IS SO FUCKING SHATTERED!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:11 am

just talked to jessica....her, manny, jason, and blythe are loadin and heading for wetumpka....i asked if they had firearms? answer was yes...3 loaded. cross yer fucking fingers and may thor's hammer guide them thru.
chad

colby good luck in austin...talk to timmy(sherry knows who i'm talking about) if you need any drugs to get throught this, although i know you don't.

louie...one man band gigs in elmore and lee county?
sam, katherine, tommy gunn....you know where we are if you need us.
martel, lilly, john henry, paul, seth, b8man, peggy, dan, colby...ditttfuckinooooo.
i just got ahold of an alabama cell phone # and will have it on me for the duration
334 514 5984
please give this to anyone who may need it
Chad and Steph
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:17 am

My sympathies with you all...went through one hurricane last year.

WR is correct on the time frame. The dikes will require barging in fill for repair. Power will likely have to be cabled in temporarily to get the pumps going.

According to nola.com, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin estimated Tuesday it would take as long as two weeks to clear out the floodwaters once the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers fixes the levees.

Pumps do about 2 feet per day when they are all running.

In the meantime, if anyone has thoughts about setting up a relief fund for displaced Goners, count me in.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:18 am

I hope I see some of your ugly faces tonight at the buccaneer?!?!?!
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:19 am

holy shit, hang in there guys.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:35 am

Steph:

do they know that the only road out of town is US90 to houma and points west?? getting to alabama will be nearly impossible. I can't fucking believe they're waiting this long. I guess they have no access to the news to find out what's going on around them, but it's FUCKED. I don't even understand how they can get to the pontchartrain expressway with claiborne ave flooded. st charles, magazine, and tchoup might not be passable at all because of downed trees. they might actually be better off staying put at this point. FUCK.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:13 am

We're all the way up in NJ, but if any of our NOLA pals need a place to stay for awhile, get in touch with me or Jahna.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 3:16 am

NOLA Donkeys,
If ya get sick of the south and wanna take a road trip. I can take some peeps in. Ya know my number. Chicago=no water.
-M

Great, So my dream i had the other night that the hot-tub was gone and our bathroom was filled with people sleeping inna bathroom bed is gonna come true.

but, yeah. whatever that dude said...
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:02 am

My heart goes out to you NOLA folks. I've got a bunch non-Goner pals down there, and I can't get in touch with anybody. Several friends are holed up in MT. Herman, but I can't get through to them either.

I'd like to vollunteer to help people dig out and salvage anything not destroyed. I bet if a bunch of people from all over the South helped out, the turnaround time on rebuilding could be cut down from current estimates. There is a lot of love for NOLA & it's people, and I hope we have a chance to show it in a meaningful way. In the meantime, I'm donating $$$ to disaster relief, and I encourage anybody else on here that can afford it to do the same.

You all take care.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:11 am

Check this ...

Alex Chilton's ex-girlfriend called up here at the CA and says she hasn't heard from him since Monday. I noticed someone said he was leaving. I don't know anything further about this, since I didn't take the call or anything. Don't know "which" ex-gf this is or her name ... any ideas?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:18 am

Womb-
I talked to Adele, she said she talked to Jessica and Blythe and told them how to get out. Twin Span gone so they, I think are going to try and make it to the River Bridge and go towards the West Bank and up 90 that way. Adele said she gave them directions. They have my number and Adele's (they are hold up in a bayou fish camp w/ Jay, Skwirl, Suzy, Ian, and maybe some others in Opelousas, LA) Adele also told them they could break into Suzy's parents' house to get supplies. Everyone keep them in your thoughts that they get through ok, water is rising, and I don't think they realized that until today sometime, no t.v. We called back to make sure they were gone and no one answered. I hope to god they left already. Mayor Nagin just said pumps are failing even more and 10-15' of water will be uptown next.
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 4:25 am

This is all so terrible - first the news was that it wasn't so bad...then things just kept getting worse. Can I send some care packages of cookies to Goner?
Posted: Aug 31, 2005 5:55 am

I don't know anyone on this board personally, but anyone coming to Portland....

I've got a huge house with plenty of room, and our doors are open.

Best of luck to you all. This is fucked.
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®