Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Terminal Boredom #9 is up
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:02 pm

The Lamps, Tractor Sex Fatality, Blowtops, Los Reactors, Billy Childish, Upstab and tons more.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:06 pm

[url=www.terminal-boredom.com]You may need this link[/url]
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:06 pm

Duh.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:28 pm

why does the los reactors interview end with the 'sketchy' comment? poor journalism.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:29 pm

I like how mr Los reactor shoots himself in the fucking foot on the last paragraph. I think I'll spend the money I saved by downloading their album on some race music.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:30 pm

hey, you beat me Bateman!
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:33 pm

I think that was David Dukes campain slogan.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:34 pm

what did that have to do with anything anyway?
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm

That guys a fucking savage.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah, I kinda wish it ended better. Maybe's it's best it stopped there, though.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 4:49 pm

I tihnk it's a perfect ending and it's actually great journalism.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 5:22 pm

The guy is a scumbag and it's never been a secret. This just reaffirms it.......
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 5:25 pm

Troy was opressing Roger all interview.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 5:50 pm

I just read The Lamps interview. The end bit is the funniest thing I've ever read.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 5:52 pm

Lamps are God.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 6:58 pm

fuck you very much terminal boredom for another stellar review. let's see, the first one you said we sounded like texas terre and the stiff ones; now we're second to the throne for little steven's underground garage. you're poor-ass predictors. you can be sure ghetto ways third album "just gettin' good" will not be sent to you for disection. smoke a bowl.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:02 pm

learn to play,hippie.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:04 pm

fuck you too, miss linda.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:04 pm

will not be sent to you for disection.

Somebody call the Whaaambulance!
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:25 pm

Hey, I bought the first album, and said some nice things in my review. I think that's the "issue" where I played it for some friends & put down all our comments, most of which were positive, I think. Most free records I get are horseshit, anyway. I'll bet just about anything that Daniel didn't send the reviewer a free record, because he's a cheap bastard. So grow some skin, honey.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:29 pm | Edited by: richie

It was free. Daniel usually sends CD versions of his stuff.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:30 pm

todd, i've got thick skin as far as this band goes. dtrain is our one goner board fan in town. i don't know who that guy is that reviewed the record--i'm just saying fuck off. if i reviewed something he did and said bad shit, he'd say fuck off to me. whatever. we put out a second record. you don't like it. get in line. daniel did too send that copy.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:34 pm

Arguing about Terminal Boredom reviews on Goner. The only thing not boring today.
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:45 pm

Would you like French Cries with that?
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:48 pm

dtrain aint the only goner board fan in town. i fuckin love the Ghetto Ways goddamnit!
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:27 pm

if you dont want people to give you "bad" reviews, stop making music
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:28 pm

reviews are all subjective; don't pay them any mind unless you respect the taste of the person who wrote it....
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:30 pm

i only read the comics
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm

Filthy Rich has great taste, and he tastes great!
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:39 pm

Your shirt tastes great!
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:51 pm

fuck you very much terminal boredom for another stellar review. let's see, the first one you said we sounded like texas terre and the stiff ones; now we're second to the throne for little steven's underground garage. you're poor-ass predictors. you can be sure ghetto ways third album "just gettin' good" will not be sent to you for disection. smoke a bowl.

I LOVE YOUR BAND NOW
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:01 pm

Nothing better than vodka soaked in sweat and subway pole bacteria.

I, too, like (x band that complains about every bad or even mediocre review). A whole lot!
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 10:03 pm

Todd: I didn't like this at all at first, but it really hooked me later on. The gal can SING, and they know how to write hooks.
Jordan: It's probably that first song. Everything on here's better than the first song. I like it alright now, but I can just see them turning into Texas Terri or something in a few years.
Matt: Yeah, this is good. The artwork sucks, though. I'd never buy this if I saw it in a store.
Todd: Which is funny, because Daniel usually has some of the best artwork out there! I'll bet THEY pushed for this cover. Either way, it's good soul/garage, especially on the songs Jenna sings on. I think "Ghetto Love" is my favorite

Sounds like a good review to me. Or maybe I just read it that way since I think the record deserves one. Just show Jordan what's what and NEVER turn into Texas Terri, deal?
Anonymous
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 8:27 am

thanks, backslider, but what is this "turn into" shit? this is what ghetto ways ARE. the only thing i, jenna, hope to "turn into" is an awesome man's wife, if i'm lucky. not everyone gives two fucks about being in a band.
Anonymous
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 8:28 am

and why is this posted as anonymous? fuck it.
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 12:55 pm

the ghetto ways rock and don't give a shit....so do the fucking riverboat gamblers....if u pussies don't like it then suck it.
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 12:59 pm

and i'll be at the rockening if any of you message board cunts wanna go a couple rounds....
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 4:17 pm

isn't getting insightful and articulate scorn the best review you can read about your own band? i think so.
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:00 pm

learn to play your shit,and stop all the weed smokin.That's gotta make you play terribly.Practice like a crazy lady and hit the stage drunk instead of all high like some looser who gives a shit!
Anonymous
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:01 pm

I love you Jenna
Anonymous
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:03 pm

will you marry me?
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:26 pm

fuck u miss linda
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:38 pm

and i'll be at the rockening if any of you message board cunts wanna go a couple rounds....

It's The Rockening, not The Fightening. Check the ruff stuff at the door.
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:57 pm

luther ray sounds like someone's about to go pick my goddamn cotton!The cotton is HIGH NIGGA!
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 5:58 pm

SHOE SHINE BOY
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 6:56 pm

well I think it's good to keep in mind that these guys (gals if there are any) are reviewing in their free time for nothing but maybe an ocaisional free rekkord, and that one persons review might not be the opinion of everyone's anyway...and also that Miss Linda thinks you rock Jenna.
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 7:43 pm | Edited by: pheezy

raising my hand as another local, goner, ghetto ways fan, here, too.

check out their set on wfmu that i just found online:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/15267

the live stuff starts a tad shy of the 40 minute mark.
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 10:44 pm

i sure wish somebody would invent a machine to get these seeds out the cotten...cuz my fingers sure is sore

or

i sure wish somebody would invent a machine to get this sand out my vangina...cuz it sure is sore
Posted: Aug 23, 2005 2:28 am

I just got the Solid Brown LP's in and I'm listening to it now and it's ggreat and the recording is great too, lotsa natural in the red distortion and a lo-fi mic.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 1:48 am

I wanted to read some more stuff and that damn Matthew Broderick kid is playing Tic Tac Toe with NORAD again

oh wait...I meant to say I totally never go to that place and think it sucks and is boring and all the people there are lame and we're totally gonna stomp a mudhole in their ass at Homecoming

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 1:59 am

I thought the "Swede" who did the KBD's outed himself, why is he anonymous in that article? I'm sure at least 33% of the people who read it know who that is. That was a pretty cool article.

Kinda related, does anyone know which powerpop-band-gut turned lawyer sued Chuck Warner for the Teenline series? (Reading this last sentence answers the first question, I suppose)
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 2:07 am

It actually wasn't the "gregarious Swede" who wrote it. Glad you enjoyed it though. The site is down temporarily, should be back tomorrow. I hope. Tell Matthew Broderick we're sorry for pissing him off.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 2:22 am

matthew broderick??? there's gotta be a good story behind that one.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 2:25 am

Humanity builds a computer network (Joshua) to command the deployment of America's nuclear arsenal in defense of itself and its NATO allies. The system even allows for simulated war games so that various nuclear war scenarios can be played out and analyzed. A teenage boy, poor and ill educated, hacks into this network one way or another. Somehow the computer system comes up with the idea of playing wargames for real. The countdown has begun, as the machine now attempts to decipher all of the launch codes so that it can launch its nuclear missiles. It seems that its time to "Play a Game." The creator of this wargames network appears baffled and every effort to disarm the missiles or the network proves futile.
In the film's end, the teenage boy has the computer play itself in a game of tic tac toe with 0 players. In essence the computer would be playing itself. Games always ended in ties. After learning the lesson of this game, the computer then proceeds to play out all the possible nuclear war scenarios. After some time it comes to the conclusion that nuclear war is a "strange game, the only way to win is not to play." Things are back to normal and the nuclear missiles are resecured and things are back to Defcon 1 where before they were at Defcon 5 readiness level for attack.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 2:40 am

Visitors
We are sorry but this site is experiencing difficulties at this time.
Please return shortly!
Thank you for your patience.

Webmaster - please contact support as soon as possible.

uh-oh
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 2:48 am

3 posts ago, dude
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 2:52 am

yeah, i'm an idiot.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:05 am

does anyone know which powerpop-band-gut turned lawyer sued Chuck Warner for the Teenline series?

Some band called John Are, whom I have never heard.. Just read about that somewhere. Pretty fuckin' ridiculous.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:19 am

whats the deal with T-B someone fix it er somethin
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:27 am

it's for their own good, i'm sure!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:46 am

Yeah, thanks hackers! I feel much better now!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 6:43 am

luther ray sounds like someone's about to go pick my goddamn cotton!The cotton is HIGH NIGGA!
fuCK u bitch, i ain't nobody's nigga...if u wanna start talkin racist bullshit like that, strut yo ugly fuggin ass down to NOLA...for the rockening and i'll slap ya with a fried chicken....FUCK U...B
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 6:51 am

MISS LINDA IS A FAGGOT HIDIN under the PSEUDONYM... i'll kick the shitt outta ya, holmes...present yoself..
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 7:47 am

Seriously, alla you people hating TB makes me wanna do more for it. Where were you when I was slacking off, aside from posting petty gripes about record reviews on this board? I don't understand why anyone in a band would care that much about revs at all.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:03 am

There was some major Bowie discussing going on at the T-B board, now there isn't. bummin'
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:26 am

That's probably because "major Bowie discussing" is even more boring than what would otherwise be discussed on the TB board.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:53 am

That Bowie convo was killing some serious time at work too. Instead, I did crossword puzzles and expanded my vocabulary for future hard-hitting record reviews.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 9:10 am

the kbd thing is great and I enjoyed the column about CDs too ( if the price of CDs was fixed by the majors, why small labels had similar prices?)

the reviews are not that good this time though. it is not because of the reviewers, it is just that the selection is not very good. though I have to say that even though I am not a fan of the meows, I don't think they sound like AC/DC at all. and yeah, you should stop reviewing 'blues punk'
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 12:37 pm

There's a total rawk element to the Meows album - it's trying hard to be traditional '66, but there's a "heavy" buttrock feel to it. I heard AC/DC in several songs.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 3:31 pm

I love TB. It's like going into a gay bar but I don't have to do anything but let everybody know they should be sucking my wang head.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:11 pm

The Meows don't really sound rawkin to me...more like garage-lite.

boring band yeah, rawk...nah
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:14 pm

wait a goddam minute, are y'all reviewing reviews?
that shit's profound.
whoops, gotta bolt, the cops is on the wayyyyyy!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 5:34 pm

Several other people have made the rawk connection w/ the Meows, so it's not like I'm out on a limb or anything. All I do is cut and paste press kits and message board comments, anyway.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 6:51 pm

That's probably because "major Bowie discussing" is even more boring than what would otherwise be discussed on the TB board.

Some people (like me) actually LIKE David Bowie, faggot!
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 7:02 pm

Nothing wrong with early Bowie, nothing at all.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 7:28 pm

Some people (like me) actually LIKE David Bowie, faggot!

I like Bowie, but every time I put on one of his records, I feel like I'm trying on my mom's underwear -- it's comfortable and feels good, but something's just wrong.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 7:30 pm

I'm actually going to review every single David Bowie album in the next issue of TB. We'll see what he thinks about my take on "Diamond Dogs."
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:23 pm

"The Man Who Sold The World", "Hunky Dory", "Ziggy Stardust", & "Alladin Sane" are all fucking great albums! I like "Diamond Dogs" too, but not nearly as much as the aforementioned Mick Ronson-era shit. Anybody like "Low" (the first album he did with Brian Eno)? I haven't listened to it enough yet, but so far I am digging it.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:25 pm

I found all my dads old Bowie records in the attic a few months ago. the only ones i really enjoyed were Ziggy Stardust and Alladin Sane. the rest didn't do too much for me.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:37 pm

Okay, "Low" sucks. I just finished listening to it, and a few good songs, but the rest is boring instrumental chanty vomit. Just had to clear that up.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:44 pm

Listen to "Hang On to Yourself" then listen to "Teenage Lobotomy"
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 11:34 pm

Ditto on Low being spotty at best. It does have its moments but it's never interesting enough to keep my attention all the way through. I think the Man Who Sold the World sounds like Cream with a couple of real ear catchers. Take that as you will.
Posted: Aug 24, 2005 11:50 pm

"Hunky Dory" and "Ziggy Stardust" are primo David Bowie in the high-pitched glam vocal days. Those fucking albums rule, from the production, to the songs, to Mick's guitar playing. Absolutely amazing. Shit like "Queen Bitch" can hold it's own against alot of 70's punk gunk.

"Man Who Sold The World" never did it for me, although by the time I heard it, everybody on earth knew about it from the Nirvana Unplugged session (remember when that used to air about 15 times a day?), so maybe the momentary resurggence of that album's popularity turned me off.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:06 am

you're worse than me.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:06 am

That's Right!
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:20 am

That may be the first punk-as-we-now-know-it song.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:27 am

He produced The Idiot and Lust for Life - I'd rather listen to those now than The Stooges. The production on Transformer is great too, I think the production makes that record.
The album Low is not too bad - just heavily ENO influenced.
I wanna see Bowie, Eno, and Iggy make a record together (Well, maybe 25 years ago)
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:30 am | Edited by: TwoTubMan

That's Right!

Damn straight, I'm a goddamn genius.

Anyone who'd rather hear "The Idiot" rather than "Funhouse" or "Raw Power" is an idiot...perhaps a retard....both maybe...
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:33 am | Edited by: alix

No, just sick of hearing BOTH. Listened to those albums a little too much when I was younger... guess i'm a tard!
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:42 am

Side two of low is nice.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 12:45 am

no Im a tard and I say Iggys first 2 solo albums are way more fun to listen too now than the stooges.

Ya know ya get burned out on the basic Mc5 ,Stooges,Dolls diet is easy to do

it all sounds very rawk to me now.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 10:56 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

Seriously, alla you people hating TB makes me wanna do more for it

I have been diagnosed with TB, sir and let me tell you that it is not a fun disease. Maybe you can enjoy it in your lofty, white suburban castle where everything ironic is a partytime miracle, what with your Crash Test Dummies shirt and your "Dewey Defeats Truman" bedsheet but I am an actual victim of this dread disease and until I draw my last breath like that poor boy in "Rent" I will fight it every step of the way.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 11:30 am | Edited by: mikesniper

My 2 cents on the beaten-to-death Bowie conversation..

People who champion Jobriath, Brett Smiley, Bearded Lady, Hello and more obscure glam stuff who slag Hunky Dory or Ziggy need an enema. (not that anyone's doing that here, but I've seen it..) Those 2 records are still great. None of the aforemetioned put out a solid LP, even though they all have some good songs...I still can't figure out why he put a cover of "It Ain't Easy" on Ziggy and put "Velvet Goldmine" on a B-Side of a single. That switch would've made that record sooooo much better.

And I think the Heroes/Low/Lodger era ain't horrible, but it's not as good as other space/synth stuff that was coming out at the same time...

As far as Iggy, I even like "Soldier" but I'm probably in the minority. I haven't listen to the first 2 solo LP's in forever...
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 2:54 pm

I can see how you can burn out on bands that only had 2-3 albums & everyone likes them & always plays them at parties, but if you think "Funhouse" is "rawk," your ears are dead. I don't really like Bowie because everything he did is so faggy and contrived, but he did write some good tunes/riffs and at least took a lot of chances. Iggy's solo stuff does next to nothing for me.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 3:16 pm

darby loved bowie therefore bowie is crucial, dude
plus Mick Ronson is raging - total
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 3:30 pm

Okay, "Low" sucks. I just finished listening to it, and a few good songs, but the rest is boring instrumental chanty vomit. Just had to clear that up.

Well pauljerkface, for many people, myself included, "Low" was a great return to experimentation that we loved Bowie for. His previous couple records had been pretty much by-the-book normal music in the rock-pop vein. Personally, I liked the instro stuff from the "Heroes" period better ("V2 Schneider") but I think the whole instro side of "Low" is fabulously atmospheric. Just cuz it ain't rock doesn't mean it sucks.

And as far as this goes:
Anyone who'd rather hear "The Idiot" rather than "Funhouse" or "Raw Power" is an idiot...perhaps a retard....both maybe...

There are 16 years of heavy life experience, including Berlin, Bowie, heroin and homosexuality in between those releases.... "The Idiot" is informed by a darker European thing where as "Funhouse" and "Raw Power" are all about getting your youthful frustrations about Ann Arbor and the stifling 60s out.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 6:54 pm

I have been diagnosed with TB, sir and let me tell you that it is not a fun disease. Maybe you can enjoy it in your lofty, white suburban castle where everything ironic is a partytime miracle, what with your Crash Test Dummies shirt and your "Dewey Defeats Truman" bedsheet but I am an actual victim of this dread disease and until I draw my last breath like that poor boy in "Rent" I will fight it every step of the way.

Let me bring this thread down a level by telling you that when I was a younger youngster, I went to Washington, D.C. on a class field trip, paid a homeless guy to tell me a dirty joke (punchline was something about a woman "rubbing her cat," can't recall the rest of the joke). A few weeks later I go to take my physical for high school and they find out that I'd been exposed to TB, probably from the comical hobo. So I had to take these horsepills for 9 months. So I've technically "had" TB, though it didn't develop, which makes me a) better than you and b) better than anyone else on TB's staff.

Some of Iggy's solo shit is OK if you can resign yourself to ignoring that he was once in the Stooges (i.e., going from an amazing band to laughably shitty solo outing).
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 7:10 pm

New Values is a decent record for the most part...
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 7:14 pm

i prefer "Electric Warrior" to all of those. However, not only is it glam, it is also hippy, and he has a glass of white wine in front of him on the poster. trifecta of suck, yet it is still catchy as fuck.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 8:24 pm

Folks tend to marginalize albums by bands like the Stooges when they become popular or experience a resurgence in pop culture because either they get played into the ground or because average joe who is considered to have poor taste in music now likes them, thus making them no longer cool. I mean, the sound on the albums don't change over time...unless it's Raw Power.
Posted: Aug 25, 2005 8:32 pm

Posted: Aug 26, 2005 12:19 am

they find out that I'd been exposed to TB, probably from the comical hobo. So I had to take these horsepills for 9 months. So I've technically "had" TB, though it didn't develop, which makes me a) better than you and b) better than anyone else on TB's staff.

Sir, I am not Alanis Morrisette or her lackey STOP I have been exposed to TB, and had to take some kind of syrupy cough medicine for 9 months as well, because I liked to chew on vinyl upholstery when I was riding around in the back of cars STOP So how you might be better than me I have no idea STOP However if you really have also been exposed to Tuberculosis' staph infection that could be true STOP I doubt it though GO
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 12:34 am

I mean, the sound on the albums don't change over time...unless it's Raw Power.

tee hee.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 4:21 am

"Lust For Life" is my favorite Iggy solo album. Bowie's production is great on that LP.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 7:25 pm

Arguing about Led Zepplin and the Stooges is all fine and good, but why not speculate on how cool that new reviewer with a great name is?
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 7:49 pm

what's a Jesse Conway?
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Tim's bastard nephew.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 8:44 pm

what's a Jesse Conway?

about 190lbs.
Posted: Aug 26, 2005 11:01 pm

Another one: Raspberries "Tonight" then Dead Boys "All This & More".
Posted: Aug 27, 2005 2:01 am

what's a Jesse Conway?

The world's #1 Bathtub Shitter fan.
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 1:24 am

Welcome back Ghettoways! Check there rockin tour pics at:

www.ghettoways.com
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®