Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Roky Erikson exploded austin on saturday!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:10 pm

It was a belated Roky's Birthday/Fundraiser for Roky at this small warehouse/coffeehouse in Austin.

$20 at the door- comfortably crowded. We were all excited and all hoped that he would play at least 4 songs.

Shucks! He played for over an hour and some!!!
Opened with "A Cold Night for Alligators" and continued through some of the greatests..."I walked with a Zombie", "Bermuda", "Creature with the Atom Brain", "Starry Eyes" and on and on.

Everyone was beaming- including Roky. The band was so tight and his voice sounded just as good as I could of imagined.

His mamma (81-yr-old-4-foot-smiley-spittin' image) was rockin out in front for the entire set. I shimmied with her during "Miss Me".

That was definetely one of the most surreal and complete concert experiences of my life. I cant believe I was there and wish all my friends were there dancing beside me and Roky's mom.

Extra bonus- got to meet Sherry formally (we had met before during goner-fest but I dont think she remembered pouring whiskey down my throat on the dance floor) She makes me wanna go back to Austin!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:25 pm

Sounds good. I thought it was gonna be about Roky goin postal and mowing down some folks with some sort of demon-powered laser gun. Sometimes happy endings are the best endings.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:32 pm

Yeah Roky!!!! Yeah!!!!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:43 pm

thanks for the news. I'd have killed to see this...

GO ROKY!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:43 pm

damn!!!!!
show of the year?!?!?!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:48 pm

holy fucking shit.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:51 pm

TELL ME someone was rolling tape on this.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Please post info on any other potential roky shows PRIOR to the event. Eric and I will then indian leg wrestle to see who gets to go! Sherry?!!! Other Austonians??

Wow.

Neisha, thanks for the great post!!!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:16 pm

You betcha....

Later that evening Sean and Erin (Spits) called and said their Mom just moved to Austin...and they came to my championship bout the next night...I was soooper stoked....Sean said (in his sooper deep voice) "it's pretty cool Mama Spit and Mama Sherry are in the same town".....awww

Thanks for the nice words Neisha, you're a really neat lady too. Oh....'ME' pouring whiskey down your throat? Impossible...that's devil water....
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:21 pm

I didnt find out till the last moment- and hopped a ride to Austin- sorry

He'll be playing Austin City Limits. I believe September 11th. I just hope he feels comfortable with a crowd that big. But- from what I hear... even when he does only make it through a few songs, he still sounds fucking awesome.

Its definetly on tape- there was a guy who looked "professional" out there- should be available through his website. I think its: rokyerikson.net
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:26 pm

Whoops- he's actually playing Austin City Limits on September 24th- Gonerfest.

It'd be best to catch him later anyhow. Something about seeing him around that many people just doesnt seem right.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:33 pm

plus the other acts on that are abysmal
Posted: Aug 12, 2005 12:04 am

Jarthur just wrote me this today, apparently he played again last night?!
last night, just him and his brother doing an acoustic set. Fucking great! He's playing with a full rock band THE EXPLOSIVES soon. like maybe in the next week or so. He did about 8 songs then his bro's band played. We had to split because we played with the mystery girls last night. Anyway a friend of ours knows his brother and got us and the mystery girls in for free. The m-girls got to meet him, they seemed pretty stoked.
Posted: Aug 12, 2005 3:14 am

didnt they used to have roky on public access all the time in austin back when? i've got a copy of one of those shows - he's got a construction paper crown with elmer's glue and glitter on and is so blitzed it's amazing, but his songs are still wowee.
cool.
Posted: Aug 12, 2005 5:11 pm

Damn! I didn't even know the dates of that horrendous ACL fest; this makes Goneroo even more magnificent than already anticipated!!

I wouldn’t mind seeing about a handful (or less) of those bands but NOT with 10,000 hippies, frat-boys/girls and waiting in long lines for port-a-potties, $10 beers, $5 bottled water, overpriced food and the $150 price tag. Please.

Thanks again, boys!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®