Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Used record stores>>>Midwest
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:36 pm

I'm going on tour with a friend's band for a few days in a couple of weeks. I am stupid-broke and am combing through the collection for music to trade in to help finance my ass. Can anyone recommend some quality used stores in these cities: Chicago, Bloomington, Louisville.

Probably just gonna bring CDs, lots of "avant-garde"-type shit plus rock and other jams. Looking for best money back, and good selection for possible purchase of wares. Is Reckless the best in Chicago?

Thannnnx.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:39 pm

You'd probably do better selling hand blown glass or bean burritos.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:48 pm

Or blow jobs and glass burritos?
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 8:33 pm

Not much in Louisville for used records. What band you gonna be with? Some of my friends may be interested. What day you going to be here?
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 8:37 pm

North Street in Normal? I've been told to check it out but haven't yet.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 8:38 pm

Hey Vonborsig, just out of curiosity, do you know an older dude in Louisville named Gordon? I think he lives in the Highlands area now. HUGE collector of Goner-type stuff and records in general, but I don't think he even knows about this board.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 10:16 pm

Erick, when you're in Chicago, let's hang out and get some beers.

mrlastname at yahoo.com

Phone isn't working, so e-mail's your best bet.

Oh, and North Street Records is owned by the guys who were responsible for all of the good shit at Mother Murphy's (now-defunct record haven in Bloomington-Normal where I wasted my late-teens), so it's bound to be good. Miss it everytime I go back to visit because the ride always leaves too quickly.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 10:27 pm

Jeff at North Street will give you a fair deal. It's pretty easy to find from the interstate too. Is your friend's band playing in Bloomington/Normal?
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 1:24 am

Wait a second. Is Heir ick and erickelrEEK! the same dude? I'm confused.
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 1:32 am

Maybe you should do more drugs.

Yeah, same dude.

OK, the band I'm comin through with is not garage punk or anything. They're called Parts and Labor, from NY. They are great. Their new stuff sounds like Husker Du crossed with Lightning Bolt but with tweaked junk electronics. It's becoming really anthemic. Used to be totally instrumental, now they've got vocals and are hitting some serious 'New Day Rising' type jams with a Load Records kind of filter. Super fun and great live.

Lastname, we should get together. I'll email you. I'll only be there for one night though (Sat. 20th). They are playing what I believe is the last show ever at Camp Gay, a DIY spot that's been around awhile. Dunno Chicago at all really, so I don;t know where it is. Bloomington(21st), I think at Sal's Pizzeria or something. Louisville(22nd), I can't remember. Columbus, my band is playing with them at the High Five (23rd).

If you're interested: www.myspace.com/partsandlabor

Does Reckless give cash?
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 2:15 am

Reckless does give cash, and they're fair (for a record store). I know where Camp Gay is. Place sucks, but I'll be there so's we can drain drinks.
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 7:47 am

Do it! Let's hawk serious wind (eh?). I should have a bag. No matter how broke I am. If not, BRING IT! And some cheap whiskey. And...girls? Uh.............

is a Reckless close to there?
Posted: Aug 9, 2005 11:13 pm

Place sucks

Maybe, but I heard they got an indoor archery range there. That's pretty sweet. Looks like it's time for the old William Tell routine, Lastname.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 1:41 am

blow jobs and glass burritos
hehehe
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:40 am

Man, it's all fake bike messenger types and stuff. Last time I went there I rolled up one leg of my jeans and went around telling people "I'm a bike messenger! Had a helluva time delivering shit to yuppies downtown! Biggest, most important package ever!" and everyone thought I was serious. Cripessss. I couldn't take it and just went home. Maybe if you don't live in Wicker Park, Humboldt Park or Logan's Square or etc. in Chicago it won't matter to you but here it just gets old. It's all assholes pulling pranks that were done better on "Jackass," believe it or not. Wow, a condiment eating contest! You guys are flying by the seat of your pantseseses! I dunno. But I'll be there nonetheless 'cuz we should hang out.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 7:19 am

Maybe if you don't live in Wicker Park, Humboldt Park or Logan's Square or etc. in Chicago it won't matter to you

Yup.

I find "good times" with the best of them. Don't worry. Tonight Greg Cartwright saw my band and said it was one of the best things he's seen in awhile. He might've been lying and I might be 5 sheets to the wind and you may not be a bike messenger but God is a woman and I fucked the shit out of her. That's what really matters. Check youR emale......soonish.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:00 am

check out Ann Arbor Mi, cant think of the names.. but theres at least 2 that have tons of shit. Located in UofM's bullshit campus. ALSO.. Flat Black n Circular.. Lansing Mi, deep in the heart of MSU campus... i think...

good luck Chum!
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:15 pm

Oh, Lastname I know what you mean. I thought Camp Gay seemed like it might be a cool place for shows, but outside it was like a bike messenger/hipster party. There was a group of dudes standing in a circle punching each other as hard as they could for amusement. I was just hoping that someone would get seriously hurt. It was like being at a frat party with different outfits.
I'm glad I live in Jeff Park, it's overrun by Polish immigrants and old ladies.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:18 pm | Edited by: dan gerous

Jeff Park

Sounds ideal. Is it reasonable? I'm thinking of moving up there.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 5:58 pm

a group of dudes standing in a circle punching each other as hard as they could for amusement

I don't think you would appreciate Mangina, fag.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 6:03 pm

like being at a frat party with different outfits

That also applies to Mangina, respectfully: fag.
Posted: Aug 10, 2005 10:28 pm

Jeff Park is incredibly reasonable. The apartments are usually really nice around here, mostly older brick typical Chicago 2 flats. Close to 90/94, and the Blue Line, parking is great. The only thing I don't like about this neighborhood is the fact that it's kinda far west, so you're a bit removed from a lot of stuff.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 12:50 am

bloomington, IN or IL?
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 12:59 am

Indiana.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 1:26 am

dude! i live there. destroyerfriendAThotmail.com we can drink, smoke and be merry.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 1:31 am

I've moved onto IV drug use. You down?

Har. Sure, I'll email you. You know anything bout this Greek Pizzeria place?
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 2:11 am

i'm down for whatever! greek's pizzeria is right downtown and this may be the first show they've done there. it's a small place which makes for a more pleasant atmosphere, in my opinion. it would be cool if it became a regular thing. i can't remember if they serve beer, but there are plenty of bars within a few blocks...haven't noticed any fliers, but i'll try to get the word out. t.d.'s is one of two record stores in town and they'll buy records. it's pretty hit or miss on the used stuff, but most of it is reasonably priced. trax is the other store and it's an overpriced shithole. $12 for a wrecked stevie wonder record? nope.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 2:13 am

if you're coming down from chicago, you might want to take the time to stop by missing link in broadripple/indy. best record store of america's crossroads.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 4:11 am

Hey man, I tried to email you but it got sent back.
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 5:10 pm

that's weird. try spinthebottlerecordsATgmail.com
Posted: Aug 11, 2005 5:55 pm

Jack - Yeah I know of Gordon, met him a couple of times, I hear he has a huge collection.

Heir ick - email me and we'll set something up , drink n whatever cbarrathumana.com
Posted: Aug 12, 2005 3:28 am

I don't live in the midwest but I hope you luck.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®