Goner Message Board / ???? / great 50's & 60's R&B
Posted: Jul 19, 2005 11:48 pm

whats some really good shit?
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 1:19 am

Ike Turner
Lookey Dookey Comp
Stompin Comps
Black Rock n Roll vol 1 comp
Early and Chess era Howlin wolf (I call that R&B - others might not)
Juke Block Busters comps
Fortune era Andre Williams
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 1:23 am

Huey Piano Smith
The Coasters
Nathaniel Mayer
Andre Williams
Johnny Guitar Watson
Richard Berry

Most of the above can be considered Rock and Roll.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 1:30 am

Nathaniel Mayer
SHIT YEAH!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 1:55 am

Grant?????
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:09 am

Jerry McCain!
Little Richard
Anything from New Orleans
Nolan Strong & The Diablos
James Brown
Little Willie John
Falcons (any early line-up, especially w/Wilson Pickett)
you could go on forever...
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:19 am

Sin Alley comps and Desperate Rock'n'roll are primarilyknown as rockabilly comps but both have a really heavy dose of fucked up r'n'b that goes perfectly with the 'billy.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:25 am

Nolan Strong & The Diablos
i have looked for stuff by Nolan, is there only vinyl out there?I couldn't find any cd's. Does Goner have the Hook-Up, holla if ya hear me!

I just got remastered Hybrid Sam Cooke...PIMP SHIT, sounds great.

you could go on forever...
i like to blow cash on stuff please go on!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:26 am

You must track down "The Monkey" by Dave Bartholomew.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:34 am

"The Monkey" by Dave Bartholomew
album or song title?
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:52 am

and of course all the crazy crap coming out of memphis, some of which has been mentioned (Ike Turner, Howlin Wolf at Sun...) but pretty much any blues/R&b cut at Sun in the 50s will bash your head good. Little Milton kills! But esp Joe Hill Louis! BOOGIE IN THE PARK!!!!!!

There was Fortune vinyl floating around about 10 years ago, some Andre Williams but mostly Nolan Strong. Car City had a bunch, i think they were still pressing 'em in the 80s? Dale or some other Motowners probably know more. Haven't seen any in a whiles.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:09 am

Car City had a bunch
i'll have to hit-up neon-Dion over therrrrre at Car city.
Goner should re-issue some Nolan and other hard to find shit!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:15 am

"The Monkey" by Dave Bartholomew
album or song title?

Sorry, song title. It's on The Best of Dave Barthomew: The Classic New Orleans R&B Band Sound.

Seriously the song is a monster.

Esquerita anyone?

Oh yeah, the fisrt track on Desperate Rock'n'roll v.1, Mel Smith "Pretty Plaid Skirt" is the fastest punkest early r'n'r song you'll ever hear! It's also on the "Bo Did It" comp.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:25 am

How did Nolan die? I got this from AMG, any of you guys know?

"Jimmy Strong passed away January 29, 1970, at age 34. His brother Nolan would join him on February 21, 1977, at age 43. Hunter, Edwards, and Eubanks are also deceased."
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:26 am

they were pretty young
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:11 am

It's old hat, but like Mandible said...

STOMPIN'

That series is fucking amazing.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:13 am

And one of the Stompin' volumes has this track by Piano Slim called "Whammy In The Gizmo." It's even better than the title. There's a crazy drum break and he says "That's my father over there on the drums... work out daddy!"
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:26 am

those Jerry McCain demo recordings are the craziest 50's / 60's rock'n'roll recorded. I think the CD that has them is out of print, but Norton put them all out on 7". Check 'em out!!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:27 am

those Jerry McCain demo recordings are the craziest 50's / 60's rock'n'roll recorded. I think the CD that has them is out of print, but Norton put them all out on 7". Check 'em out!!

god bless Norton! they have made so much stuff available.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:33 am

what's a good Ike Turner record to get? I think the Crypt catalog has got a bunch of them.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:36 am

I just downloaded that "Pretty Plaid Skirt" song Bazooka Joe mentioned on soulseek and WOW! it's crazy fast. gotta get that Monkey song next.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:49 am

I'm waiting for Andy from the Little Killers to chime in..
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 2:34 pm

Sin Alley comps and Desperate Rock'n'roll are primarilyknown as rockabilly comps but both have a really heavy dose of fucked up r'n'b that goes perfectly with the 'billy.

Yes. Very true. R&B and Rockabilly - two sides of the same coin. There is actually some billy sounding stuff on the Stompins also.

Also - regarding the Fortune vinyl - I got some of those from Norton. Maybe they still have em? Nolan Strong and the Diablos is great. Kind of puts you in a narcotic haze.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:29 pm

Hank Ballard is great.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:40 pm

Amos Milburn - "I Done Done It". The 78rpm issue of it sounds particularly great.

http://thehound.net/19940129/mp3s/start38.mp3
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:51 pm

Big Maybelle kills.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 3:52 pm

Bo Diddley is a gunslinger.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:26 pm

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:37 pm

I was gonna say that but he's more jump blues I guess. Still essential though...

Johnny Otis!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 4:38 pm

And Sniper mentioned the Coasters... easily one of the best groups of all time.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 5:25 pm

Don and Fuckin' Dewey!! They did the originals of "Justine" (covered by the Mummies, et al) and "Farmer John" and "Big Boy Pete" and "Mammer Jammer" and "Jungle Hop" -shit's great.

Gino Washington!

And any Ike & Tina recordings on Sue or Kent are gonna be great. Ike's Sun Sessions mostly have him backing up other combos, but it's all worth having.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 5:28 pm

Slim Harpo
Fats Domino
Frankie Lee Sims
Dr. Ross
Freddy King

LARRY WILLIAMS!!!!! (He had his hokey stuff I know, but his good stuff stacks up song for song with anyone) Double cd came out recently, w/ one cd of outakes where you can really hear them work up the tunes on the spot. Totally AMAZING!

The Chicken Shack Boogie comps are real good too.

The guitar player on those early Hank Ballard records is phenomenal.

I'm also really diggin' myself some up tempo doowop:
Poets- The Vowels Of love
The Versatones- Bila (one of the weirdest records ever?)
The Penguins - Ookey Ook
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 6:18 pm

Anything from New Orleans

yeah you rite, dawlin!

Lee Dorsey's "Holy Cow" is my favorite song of all time...(Paul Rotzzz's too I think...)
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 6:24 pm

The ALL TORE UP comp is all ballads/ tearjerkers and it's more powerful and raw than alot of the more party oriented comps. You'll be listening to it constantly.

And one of the Stompin' volumes has this track by Piano Slim called "Whammy In The Gizmo."

Sorry, I meant Savage Kick. Same compiler as Stompin. The first two or three volumes were called Black Rock'n'Roll and they totally rip, but the names were changed to Savage Kick later and the series continued for quite a few volumes. The first few are essential.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 6:57 pm

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 7:03 pm

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 7:17 pm

The Okeh box set is pretty boss too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 7:20 pm

There should be an Excello box set too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 8:02 pm

Jacks / Cadets!

and what was Bobby Womack's early band, the Valentinos?

whoah!

(and we do have a cd with a bunch of the early jerry mccain demos on it... THE JIGS UP: COMPLETE 1950s RECORDINGS cd (19.99)- it ain't all of the 50s stuff, but it's got most of the excello singles and the raw "recorded in his living room" stuff that'll make you shout with glee when you hear the brutality.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 8:54 pm

I got a couple LP comps of the Okeh R&B and thought it was mostly just O.K.
All hail Jerry McCain!
All hail Ike Turner!
All hail Wynonie Harris!
Hail hail rock and roll!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:28 pm

Oh Yeah, I guess it's really just Rock and Roll, but get Chuck Berry's Great 28. You can forget how fucking great that stuff is when you haven't heard it in a while.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:29 pm

That reminds me, I played the Maybelline 45 the other day and it was suuuuuuuh-mokin'!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:35 pm

yeah. Chuck is tuff!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:40 pm

There's a 3 cd comp called "Eary Jamaican R&B" w/ stff from the 50's that Trojan put out that is so good. Real funky, loosey goosey r&b. Love those slightly outta tune horn sections.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:42 pm

You must track down "The Monkey" by Dave Bartholomew.
Didn't he also do that great track "Who Drank My Beer While I Was in the Rear?"

I love the lyric: "I'm gonna catch that moocher. I'm gonna dislocate his future."
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:44 pm

It's on that LP I mentioned earlier. That's him alright!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 9:55 pm

In addition to the ones mentioned, here's a few more to check out:

Bunker Hill (actually beats Little Richard at his own game on some tracks. "The Girl Can't Dance" rules!)
Big Mama Thornton (Her original version of "Hound Dog" is killer)
Ernie K. Doe
Mickey and Sylvia (Mickey Baker is one of the coolest guitarists ever)
Drifters (the smoother Ben E. King-period stuff IS great, but the earlier shit with Clyde McPhatter is more primal R&B)
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:00 pm

And he played on some of...

YOUNG JESSIE'S records!

Yup, Young Jessie is killin.

Love is Strange is STILL one of my favorite songs ever.

Bunker Hill's Red Riding Hood levels EVERYTHING imo.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:00 pm

Chuck Berry's Great 28

possibly the greatest rock n roll songs ever. a couple years ago, it seems like there were 3 or 4 bands covering "i wanna be your driver" in their sets... like in summer 2003 - i kept a list (star spangles, paybacks, jake brennan and someone else that i've forgotten). some kind of chuck berry zeitgeist, i guess. its probably my favorite chuck berry composition.

i want to make a car commercial using that song. i've had the story board in my head for decades... since cars had fins!
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:01 pm

All this and not a manadtory Stax drop? For shame...
http://tuffcity.com has some GREAT stuff
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:04 pm

And he played on some of...

YOUNG JESSIE'S records!

Mickey Baker played on a bunch of Francoise Hardy's cool mid-60's records, too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:05 pm

Jimmy Spruill “Scratch ‘N Twist” looks really good.

On the instro tip, lots of Las Vegas Grind tracks are r'n'b...
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:07 pm

speaking of great New Orleans R&B.........Shirley and Lee are awesome...
unfortunately the bad news.....

Shirley Goodman-Pixley of Shirley & Lee dies
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
By Keith Spera
Music writer

Shirley Mae Goodman-Pixley, the female half of the 1950s New Orleans rhythm and blues duo Shirley & Lee, died July 5 of complications from a stroke at Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. She was 69.

Born in New Orleans, Ms. Goodman-Pixley was a high school student when she first teamed with Leonard Lee, a family friend. The legendary Dave Bartholomew produced the duo's first single, "I'm Gone," for Aladdin Records. The song hit No. 2 on the national rhythm and blues charts in 1952.

That launched a fruitful recording career. Shirley & Lee's singles generally featured her high-pitched, youthful voice answering Mr. Lee's booming, bluesy entreaties. Though the duo pretended to be "sweethearts" in their songs, they were not romantically involved.

The formula yielded such popular singles as "Shirley, Come Back to Me," "Shirley's Back" and "Two Happy People."

Too young to perform in nightclubs where alcohol was served, the duo toured as part of rhythm and blues packages that visited theaters nationwide. Generally, a family member chaperoned Ms. Goodman-Pixley.

In 1956, Shirley & Lee crossed over to the pop charts with the suggestive "Let the Good Times Roll" and the subsequent "Feel So Good," both classic examples of New Orleans rhythm and blues that appealed to a diverse, broad audience. Shirley & Lee subsequently crisscrossed the country on tour.

"It was real exciting," Ms. Goodman-Pixley recalled in author Jeff Hannusch's "I Hear You Knockin'." "We had so much work, we only had one day off a month for a couple of years. We did the Apollo, the Brooklyn Paramount, the Uptown -- we practically played everywhere with everybody."

After the demise of Aladdin Records, Shirley & Lee recorded for both the Warwick and Imperial labels. But their heyday had passed, and they broke up their act in the early 1960s. Mr. Lee died in 1976.

Ms. Goodman-Pixley continued to record intermittently, even pairing briefly with local R&B singer Jessie Hill as Shirley & Jessie. After moving to Los Angeles in the 1960s, she worked with other artists. She contributed backing vocals to "Let It Loose," a track on the Rolling Stones' 1972 album "Exile on Main Street," and Dr. John's 1972 "Gumbo" album, among others. She last scored a national hit of her own in 1974 with the disco anthem "Shame, Shame, Shame."

She was a member of St. John Divine and Genesis Missionary Baptist churches, where she sang in the choir. She lived in Los Angeles on and off for a combined 27 years.

Survivors include a son, Calvin Z. Pixley Jr., and four brothers, Kenneth and Marvin Goodman, both of New Orleans, and Edwin and Jonel Goodman.

A funeral will be held today at 11 a.m. at Genesis Missionary Baptist Church, 1820 N. Robertson St. Visitation will begin at 8 a.m. Burial will be in Mount Olivet Cemetery. Boissiere-Labat Family Funeral Services is in charge of arrangements.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:10 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Dave the Spazz played a tribute to her last week.

It made me realize that Jamican duo Derrick (Morgan) and Patsy was based on the Shirley and Lee sound, with the sharp vs. flat vocal thing. Check the track "Housewife's Choice" for proof.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:15 pm

She last scored a national hit of her own in 1974 with the disco anthem "Shame, Shame, Shame."
Believe it or not, that track was written by Sylvia Robinson of Mickey and Sylvia. I always thought that was one of the best tunes of the disco era.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:18 pm

disco sucks.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:50 pm

Posted: Jul 20, 2005 11:00 pm

All this and not a manadtory Stax drop? For shame...

Of course, but I figured most would label it "soul" When I hear R&B, I think one level less "sophisticated"
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 11:04 pm

That reminds me, I played the Maybelline 45 the other day and it was suuuuuuuh-mokin'!

Fuck yeah. If I'm checking out a guitar or amp, I always see if it can render a convincing version of that opening guitar salvo. That is one of my favorites ever. P-90's cranked loud.
Posted: Jul 20, 2005 11:19 pm

Howlin Wolf R&B, Stax not? Scratches head...

OK, some more:
Funky Divas comp
New Orleans Popeye Party comp
Soulful Sounds from Soulsville comp
The Git Down! comp
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 12:05 am

me and king khan recorded a cover of 'pretty plaid skirt' 2 years ago. i'll put it up soon. i think it was even on soulseek. fuckers.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 1:28 am

where it is man???
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 4:05 am

what Jerry McCain should I buy first?
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 4:37 am

Get whatever has these songs:

Next Door Neighbor
I Need Somebody To Love
I'm A Ding Dong Daddy From A oc'n'Roll City
Choo Choo Rock
Cutie Named Judie
Geronimo's Rock
Bell In My Heart
Rock'n'Roll Ball
Turn Your Damper Down
Bell In My Heart

That's the balls, baby!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 6:43 am

Jeb Stuart
King Coleman
Little Esther Phillips
Lavern Baker
Sugar Pie Desanto
Sandra Kay Tucker
Esquerita
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 6:46 am

Rufus Thomas
Rosco Gordon
Big Jay McNeely
Thee Midnighters

and a performer from Macon, GA of some acclaim...James Brown
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:44 am

I told ya that Andy would chime in, good boy...
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:50 am

There are some CD collections called (I think) "Motor City Dop Wop". There's two discs of Nolan Strong and the Diablos, one of the Five Dollars (Andre Williams band) and a Andre Williams one as well. I believe the label that put them out were called Regency and I think they were out of Germany. I don't know how legit they are but there's some good stuff in all of them. There's also the awesome Nathaniel Mayer collection on some label called Gold Eagle (which may be the same people as Regency for all I know.) I knew Crypt had some of them in the mailorder catalog at one time. When I worked at Record Time we used to get them from Get Hip and someplace in Florida called Sunshine(?).

From what I've been told the Fortune stuff has never been properly issued on CD was they were still bitter about getting fucked out money back in the 50's when they licensed stuff like "Bacon Fat" to the majors.

I recently heard that the son of the Brown's (the couple who started the label) is now in charge of the catalog but is asking for some outrageous coin for reissue rights. The LP's you see at Car City were pressed in the 80's I believe.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 2:58 pm

and a performer from Macon, GA of some acclaim...James Brown

I just heard some of his really early stuff, I liked it alot better the the later SEX MACHINE type stuff.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:01 pm

That's the balls, baby!
thanks for the tip, however, I bet it will be the balls & cock!! WERD!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:23 pm

The 5 Royales !
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:28 pm

The 5 Du-Tones!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:32 pm

This thread rules. Keep 'em coming!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:44 pm

Hey drygulch wizard, I got a kick as comp I made to give you on Saturday. Should I just mail it? You'll probably lose it. Plenty of early greasy back-as-fuck sounds on it...
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:45 pm

Once again, the Bar-Kays SOUL FINGER single is a must even if just for the b-side (Knucklehead), which is funky as hell but has the greasiest country negro r'n'b feel I've ever heard. Booket T. is blowing harp on it.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:54 pm

Yeah, mailing it would be good as I tend to lose stuff. And thanks!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:55 pm

email the address.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:32 pm

Billy Stewart had some decent stuff...that fat boy song was aight.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:35 pm

Get whatever has these songs:

Next Door Neighbor
I Need Somebody To Love
I'm A Ding Dong Daddy From A oc'n'Roll City
Choo Choo Rock
Cutie Named Judie
Geronimo's Rock
Bell In My Heart
Rock'n'Roll Ball
Turn Your Damper Down
Bell In My Heart

That's the balls, baby!

Add "Bad Credit" to that list.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:46 pm

The 5 Royales !
great stuff, the Detroit Cobras made a career off of these guys!
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 8:58 pm

Somebody mentioned my favorite thing about Jamaican R&B and ska a while ago. The out-of-tune horn sections almost make the music. I say that to everyone and I've never heard anyone else bring it up as a good thing.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:19 pm

That was me, yo brotha from anotha motha!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®