....Sunday afternoon 7/17
Dungen-Ta Det Lungt
Led Zeppelin-Houses of the Physical Presence IV
Beatles-Rubber Revolver
The Meters Look-Ka-Pye-Pye
My Bloody Valentine-Loveless
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 10:37 pm

compulsive gamblers- crystal gazing luck amazing
mudhoney- superfuzz/big muff (fuck you. i love this shit!)
the hentchmen- motorvatin'
Devo- (any of the the first 3)
Elvis- the sun recordings

at least for today, ask me tomarrow, it would be different.
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 10:38 pm

gotta include this, it's like hearing rock-n-roll grow pubes! great stuff!
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 10:51 pm

The Beatles- "Revolver" (Parlophone version in mono AND stereo)
Bo Diddley- "The Originator"
The Penetrators "Kings Of Basement Rock"
Otis Redding "Dock Of The Bay"
Silver Apples "Contact"
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 10:54 pm

scompulsive gamblers- crystal gazing luck amazing
the hentchmen- motorvatin'

and Bantam Rooster: FUCK ALL YALL,
that's 6, but fuck it.
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 10:55 pm

1.Ramones/Leave Home
2.Saints-Stranded/Eternally Yours
3.Teengenerate-Smash Hits
4.Little Richard-Greatest Hits
5.Vapors-New Clear Days
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 11:22 pm

why would anyone name their new band after a band that had huge hits? Next time you want to name your new punk rock band, hit up "Google" first. Ya kinda look like a dipshit, you might as well name your new band Earth Wind and Fire....
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 11:32 pm

So do lots of other people, duder.

See, now, no. Only 'Are We Not Men...' is a true masterpiece. 'Duty Now...' slightly less, and that's it. 'Hardcore' just as essential.

My 5?

Can
VU
Stooges
Kinks
Birthday Party

you pick the LP.
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 11:49 pm

hey Heir ick, I see you're the Devo Police. duder! ya see, that was my list, go throw on some Kinks duder-ette.
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 11:52 pm

Gotta have some badge of honor for spending half my life in Akron.

I'm actually gonna go burn it clean. You figure out what that means.
Posted: Jul 17, 2005 11:54 pm

Kinks
you pick the LP.

ummm, yeah, if you wanna judge Devo, how bout some of the later Kinks albums! or is it different in that case.

See, now, no. Only 'Are We Not Men...' is a true masterpiece. 'Duty Now...' slightly less, and that's it. 'Hardcore' just as essential.
ok....
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:00 am

It was a quiz, my friend. Like, see if you pick the right one. It all makes sense when you think about it...
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:03 am

Oh yeah, relax. I was just annoyed by your justification/apology for liking Mudhoney. I mean, a world where you apologize for liking Mudhoney, particularly that record, is a world that sucks. Aight, sweet thang?
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:17 am

Oh yeah, relax. I was just annoyed by your justification/apology for liking Mudhoney. I mean, a world where you apologize for liking Mudhoney, particularly that record, is a world that sucks. Aight, sweet thang?
well, babe, I guess if you put it that way! Most people write off Mudhoney as just some shitty grunge band. this is a world that sucks! that's why NOW Compilations are the top seller on Billboard with every release (NOW 18 being the latest) i work in a major chain record store, you should see the variety of idiots buying this shit. 9 year old retards on up.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:29 am

OK, you deserve a good story. 10 years ago, when I was 18, I worked at a record store (local chain-type). These total burn-out trash mullet dudes come in on one of my first days there. They come up to me, looking for a cassette (member thems?), something "That really rocks, bro. Y'know, some kick ass shit." Our cassette stock was dwindling at this point, but I figured I could find something. I scan the racks and what do I see but 'Superfuzz Bugmuff +.' Ah-ha! "Dudes, this shit kills. Total fuckin rock. Bad ass, etc. You'll love it!" They seem a little hesitant, turning it over in their hands, but finally, "Yeah! OK!" They buy it, walk out the door, get in their Camaro (seriously) and peel out. I feel elated at a job well done, knowing I've turned someone onto some great shit.

Not five minutes later, they come rushing back into the store, see me, and "Dude, no, sorry man, we don't like it. Can we get something else?"

They didn't even make it through "Touch Me, I'm Sick"!!

What, that doens't rock?!?

All of my co-workers laughed at me. "You'll learn, you'll see..."
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:32 am

Mudhoney "Superfuzz/Big Muff" is a worthy cause, I know alot of people who love this record. Definately has more garage rock cred than any other band of that ilk. I'm thinking that the double CD retrospective that came out a few years ago could now replace this, because I believe it has most of that shit on it, plus a bunch of other stuff, including most of their covers.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:33 am

man when you say everyone what's the context? because if it was everyone using this board i'd write a totally different list than if it was everyone in the entire country or world.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:37 am

Come to think of it, even their MTV bullshit stuff like "Suck you Dry" or their cover of "Pump It Up" wasn't that uncool, considering the time period/context.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:53 am

5.Vapors-New Clear Days

Interesting pick, I really like that record.

I'd go with...

Kinks-Village Green Preservation Soceity
Badfinger-Straight Up
Killed By Death #2
Idle Race-Impostor's of Life's Magazine
Ramones s/t
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:55 am

shit i've been digging lately:

1. big balls and the great white idiot
2. slaughter and the dogs
3. primitive calculators
4. the jam
5. beat beat beat
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:59 am

Come to think of it, even their MTV bullshit stuff like "Suck you Dry" or their cover of "Pump It Up" wasn't that uncool, considering the time period/context.

the Suck You Dry guitar riff is fucking classic to. Try making that few of chords sound that pissed and rockin!

Not five minutes later, they come rushing back into the store, see me, and "Dude, no, sorry man, we don't like it. Can we get something else?"
I always try pusing Oblivians, In The red, Sympathy etc, stuff to the radio friendly metal heads that come into the store, I show them clips on the store computer hoping to sell and turn them on to something they might not ever hear anywhere else....yeah, they're never impressed at all really...I just get ah "yeah man, have you heard that new "Devil Driver" bad ass dude!". then I say, "nah man, haven't heard it"
thats my day at work.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 1:01 am

chikachikaslimshady-
mudhoney- superfuzz/big muff

great shit! i picked that up a few years back. it fucking kills! nice mention.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 1:18 am

Ramones s/t

I almost put that in place of the Penetrators. It's a much more important record so I guess I fucked up. And you say I hate powerpop...

HEE-HAWW!!!
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 1:42 am

5. herb alpert- whipped cream and other delights
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 1:45 am

gotta cop them new re-issuses!!!!! digi-packs yo!
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 4:54 am

Ramones - Rocket to Russia
Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Oblivians - Popular Favorites
Deadly Snakes - Love Undone
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 5:16 am

I think this post should have said five records you think every GARAGE ROCKER should own. Because there's lots of people and people all have different tastes. Just because you dig something doesn't mean some other ugly street urchin will.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

I think this post should have said five records you think every GARAGE ROCKER should own. Because there's lots of people and people all have different tastes. Just because you dig something doesn't mean some other ugly street urchin will.

even if people don't like my kinda shit, I still want them to hear it, because maybe they will see the light! I am the mother fucker trying to get my friends to like my stuff.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 5:24 am

skip james yazoo collection
king khan and bbq show
oblivians - pop faves or play 9
ramones s/t
reverend charlie jackson

alternates:
supercharger s/t
robert wilkins - original rolling stone
velvet underground and nico
dan melchior - one of them broke revue of otherwise
mighty hannibal - hannibalism

theres a lot of records i wish everyone COULD own, but no one can get their hands on, like hubble bubble or jack ketch and the crowmen
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 5:34 am

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant-Gear Blues
X-Los Angeles
Weirdos-Weird World vol. 2
The Oblivians-Soul Food
Gories-all of 'em
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:42 am

Weirdos-Weird World vol. 2

I Love the Weirdos, but Vol. 2? Vol. 2?!?
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:49 am

This is a weird topic, because "what everyone should own" is a lot different than "favorite." I mean, a record like Pet Sounds or Trout Mask Replica are "important" but aren't favorites of mine....(I'd take Friends and Safe as Milk by the same artists..) Ramones isn't my favorite LP by a punk-era band, but it'd have to go on the list.

Nerdy but fun to talk about I guess.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:51 am

WIRE pink flag
Black Sabbath (first album)
Beach Boys Pet sounds
Ramones-Ramones
MC5 back in the usa
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:53 am

Nerdy but fun to talk about I guess.
there are NO nerds here.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 8:34 am

Ramones - S/T debut
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (the B side of that album is my favorite string of songs ever)
Link Wray - Link Wray and The Wraymen
Pixies - Surfer Rosa

That was brutal. And I agree that "favorite" and "should own" are completely different but it's hard to sperate the two.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 12:38 pm

It's hard for me to find much fault with Mudhoney at any point, even if there was some inconsistency on some of the mid-90s albums. Piece of Cake has some mind-blowing pops songs ("Good Enough" and "Into the Drink") and the aforementioned "Suck You Dry" as well as "Today Was a Good Day" and some other later songs are a lot of fun. And if you have any penchant for the stoner rock thing as it seems some folks here do, Since We Became Translucent is pretty great. Steve Turner is seriously underappreciated.

As for 5 records people should own, people should own at least 10 records. Maybe even 20.

1) VU & Nico
2) Skip Spence - "Oar"
3) Ramones - "Ramones" or "Rocket to Russia"
4) Blind Willie Johnson - "the Complete Blind Willie Johnson"
5) Public Enemy - "It Takes a Nation of Millions"
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 1:44 pm

LOS CRUDOS
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 2:18 pm

1) LAMF
2) Nick Cave - Murder Ballads
3) Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
4) Gun Club - Fire Of Love
5) Jesus and Mary Chain - PsychoCandy
6) Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 2:53 pm

1) LAMF
2) Nick Cave - Murder Ballads
3) Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
4) Gun Club - Fire Of Love
5) Jesus and Mary Chain - PsychoCandy
6) Tom Waits - Bone Machine

This is weird. A lot of my favorite people, but for those people I would go with:
Nick Cave- Your funeral, my trial
Leonard Cohen- Songs of Love and Hate
Gun Club- Mother Juno
J&M Chain- Automatic

And Swans- White Light From the Mouth of Infinity should round out that list.

And as for Mudhoney, just stay away from My Brother, the Cow!

As for my own list, that's just too hard...
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 3:10 pm

favorites=records everyone should own

sam cooke - night beat
rolling stones - exile on main street
george jones - the grand ole opry's new star
don covay - mercy
solomon burke - proud mary
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 5:06 pm

sam cooke - night beat
nice one.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 5:33 pm

Mudhoney stuff, the DVD should be pretty cool.

Mark has just sent in a number of details about the forthcoming Mudhoney album. The new LP is still untitled, will be released by Sub Pop and is tentatively scheduled for february 2006. As with their previous studio effort, Since We've Become Translucent, the band will work with various producers, recording a small batch of songs with each; so far they've booked studio time with Johnny Sangster, Phil Ek and Tucker Martine. As for the new tunes, Mark says: "We've got fast songs AND slow songs": titles for some of those that are likely to end up on the new album are I Saw The Light, On the Move, Hard-on For War, Where Is the Future?, In Search Of..., It Is Us, That Trench You're Digging, (We're The) Empty Shells (Of Our Former Selves), Blind Spots, and The Rag's On The Boil. Many of these have been already premiered at some of the band's most recent shows. Hard-On For War (which originally appeared on a compilation a couple years ago) will be re-recorded. And, yes, some of these will feature horns, just like SWBT.

The band is also very busy assembling a DVD release (probably a double disc set) which will feature all of their videos and a wide selection of live material. With some luck it should be in stores this fall, much sooner than expected!
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:42 pm

thanks bazooka. you de man.

as for my own 5, it varies too much, but I'm definitely going to investigate some of the ones that people are listing here because that's another way to get turned on to new stuff you never heard before.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:46 pm

I don't really care what other people should have, but the records I've spun most the past couple of years are:

Mr Airplane Man - Red Lite
The Horrors - S/T
Cheater Slicks - Refried Dreams
Honeymoon Killers - Sing Sing (should have been released as a 3LP)
Led Zeppelin - I
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:48 pm

Piece of Cake has some mind-blowing pops songs ("Good Enough" and "Into the Drink")

These are actually from 'Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge'; a great record and my intro to Mudhoney. 'Piece of Cake' does have some great songs on it, I love "When In Rome." And 'My Brother the Cow' is actually really good! They're one of those bands where I like everything, even the not-so-good. And they're putting out another record? Yows.
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 6:54 pm

And they're putting out another record? Yows.
right on!
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 7:02 pm

John Denver Christmas
Any Burl Ives lp
Gordon Lightfoot _ GORDS GOLD!!!
War With Russia- Jack Van Imp
Learning Morse Code-ATCO record company
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 8:30 pm

1.) Devo- "Are We Not Men"
2.) Wire- Pink Flag
3.) Velvet Underground- "The Words and Music of Lou Reed" (lame greatest hits thing, but has all the goods on it)
4.) Stooges- s/t or "Funhouse"
5.) Rolling Stones- Hot Rocks

everybody should own (and could like) these, regardless of wether or not it's "punk"
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 9:00 pm

You can't own them!
They're mine and I don't sell good records!
Posted: Jul 18, 2005 11:06 pm

These are actually from 'Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge';

Yeah, they most certainly are. It was too early for me to be posting.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:00 am

modern lovers
VU-pick one
saints-eternally yours
oblivians-soul food
black lips live album (i play it when i have company to find out if they're dumb (in a bad way)).
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:30 am

saints-eternally yours

Been listening to this daily for a week now.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:57 am

Been listening to this daily for a week now.
Gang of Four -Entertainment!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 4:07 am

S.O.D - Speak English or Die
King Crimson - USA
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Ali Farka Toure w/ Ry Cooder - Talking Timbuktu
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 4:13 am

Whipped Cream and Going Places are the most popular choices but I say S.R.O. is the best. It may not have the biggest hits, but it's the most consistent. The next three reissues - Sounds Like, Herb Alpert's Ninth, and Beat Of The Brass are out on August 16. There's some rumors floating around that Herb might even tour later this year. ˇOlé!

5. The Ventures - Batman Theme
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 4:38 am

5. The Ventures - Batman Theme

This record is pretty incredible and the song called "The Cape" will let you know partially where Blacktop was coming from.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 3:29 pm

I should have put that entry under 5 "cassettes" you think everyone should own.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 6:11 pm

just for today-

anything jimmie rodgers
penetrators-kings of basement rock
lids-too late 45
hasil adkins
james brown-live at apollo '62

sixth-walt disneys chiling thrilling sounds of haunted house
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 7:59 pm

Dusty Springfield- "Dusty in Memphis"
The Model Rockets- "Hi-Lux"
Bruce Springsteen- "Nebraska"
Jonathan Richman- "Jonathan Sings"
John Fogerty- s/t (From 1975- still not in print in the US. What the fuck?)

I intentionally left off many of my more "in your face" favorites (Oblivians, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc.) I tried to come up with a list that I figure almost anyone with a passing interest in rock n' roll could appreciate- Goners and non-Goners alike.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:04 pm

One of my fave records EVER! I still have almost the entire spoken word intro to the first track memorized. "You are a bold and courageous person; afraid of nothing!"

Does anyone know if this thing was ever issued on CD? I wanted to get it for my nephew but I couldn't find it anywhere. If it is in print, I imagine they've probably omitted the non-PC jibber-jabber on the "Chinese Water Torture" track.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:19 pm

One of my fave records EVER! I still have almost the entire spoken word intro to the first track memorized. "You are a bold and courageous person; afraid of nothing!"

Does anyone know if this thing was ever issued on CD? I wanted to get it for my nephew but I couldn't find it anywhere. If it is in print, I imagine they've probably omitted the non-PC jibber-jabber on the "Chinese Water Torture" track.

I work at a cd store, we just got in a Walt Disney re-issue, came out...last tuesday I think. It's in a digi-pack, not sure what's on the cd, but it looks pretty nice an old-school.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:26 pm

Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House (new audio) Walt Disney 2507 1979

this is the version i have. i just found out theres two haunted house records(64 and 79), and a haunted mansion one(69). the one youre(Hugh Jass) talking about is the haunteed house from 64. apparently 64 is better version and more listened to, but ive never heard it. i like the 79 version pretty well regardless. none of the above records have been issued on CD according to an amazon.com search. im really bored
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 8:27 pm

I work at a cd store, we just got in a Walt Disney re-issue, came out...last tuesday I think. It's in a digi-pack, not sure what's on the cd, but it looks pretty nice an old-school.

ok it IS on cd
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Veg/Seger, I can't find this thing anywhere on the 'net. Do you have an exact title for the reissue or a link or something?

"High on a hilltop near your home, stands a dilipadated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One night, a light appears in the topmost window of the old house. You decide to investigate and you never return."
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Sorry, Donkey. That's just a link with info about the LP, which I already have. I wanted to see if there was info about the CD reissue on the 'net anywhere. Maybe it's up on Soulseek or something. I'll have to check after work.
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 9:55 pm

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:00 pm

thnankssssssss!!!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:02 pm | Edited by: Donkey

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:37 pm

that womans voice on the haunted house(especially martian monsters) reminds me a little bit of Lucia Pamela record(like the song where she goes to the moon) which is amazing
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:38 pm

moo moo moo moo moo moo!!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:58 pm

Veg/Seger, I can't find this thing anywhere on the 'net. Do you have an exact title for the reissue or a link or something?

I will find out...give me a few
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 11:09 pm

Posted: Jul 21, 2005 11:11 pm

"Join Walt as he takes you on a musical tour of the Magic Kingdom. Digitally remastered, this CD commemorates the first album released by Walt Disney Records almost 50 years ago. The original version, which was released on vinyl, hasn't been available for almost 40 years. Now's your chance to own a nostalgic piece of history. Deluxe digipack presentation is a replica of the original album cover. The CD features Walt Disney's narration as he guides you through the Park, plus music from Main Street, U.S.A., Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland"

WALT TAKES YOU FOR A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2005 11:16 pm

so what are they

Otis Redding - The Soul Album
Sam Cooke - Night Beat
Sir Douglas Quintet - Mendocino
Mcdonald & Giles - s/t
Os Mutantes - s/t
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 12:00 am

Mcdonald & Giles - s/t

Flight of the Ibis has the best drums.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:51 am

Totally forgot this one........and maybe I'm showing my Midwestern hick roots on this......but The Replacements. Who wouldn't love that band? Like seriously if you can't get into them........I dunno.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:59 am

yup, sorry ma... and stink are two of my fave recordings. then again, i'm also a midwestern hick.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 6:03 am

The Replacements
Stink is so killer.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 6:29 am | Edited by: Useless Eater

Heartbreakers "L.A.M.F."
Ramones "s/t"
Devil Dogs "Saturday Night Fever"
AD/DC "Powerage"
De La Soul "3 Feet High And Rising"
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 6:41 am

Heartbreakers "L.A.M.F."
Ramones "s/t"
Devil Dogs "Saturday Night Fever"
AD/DC "Powerage"
De La Soul "3 Feet High And Rising"

I was looking at this list and going "oh hell yeah - that's a nice list" and then that last one?? De La Soul?? I also agree with the kudos for the Replacements but no mention of Let It Be?? That's just wrong. Yes, I too am a midwestern hick.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 6:51 am

fuck yeah, De La Soul is great, but i guess not a fave on this board.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 6:57 am | Edited by: DevilDog

As "up" on music as I THINK I am (stress "think") and I couldn't tell you what "genre" De La Soul even falls under. I've obviously heard of them but no clue whatsoever. I'm guessing hip hop in which case I'm pleased as fuck that I've missed their entire catalogue.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:41 am

As "up" on music as I THINK I am (stress "think") and I couldn't tell you what "genre" De La Soul even falls under. I've obviously heard of them but no clue whatsoever. I'm guessing hip hop in which case I'm pleased as fuck that I've missed their entire catalogue.

fu fu fu fuck you genre boy
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 8:08 am

Thank you kindly, good sir. Notice I bracketed the word so as to make a joke of its use. Gotta love the internet message board.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:37 pm

But I hear that the vinyl of "3 Feet High" is fucked because they's so many tracks and it sounds like 2 pieces of doo doo in my hand. Most of those records I listed I don't listen to every day, it would just be nice if I saw them in somebody's stacks when I came over box wine style.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:42 pm

UE, that's one of the best posts I've read all week.

I've got a coupla rap lps that are the same way, Alkaholics 21andover, some Tribe Called Quest reissues. They all need that double vinyl with 3 songs per side...
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:43 pm

But I hear that the vinyl of "3 Feet High" is fucked because they's so many tracks and it sounds like 2 pieces of doo doo in my hand.

This is true. I wish somebody would reissue it as a doupble lp with fat sound. I bet it's already been done but I ain't heard about it. I was actually looking for a copy of this lp on ebay yesterday. It's too fucking good, in any style of music. In fact, De La Soul Is Dead is near perfect too. There is a copy of the song they sampled for "Peas Porridge" on ebay right now and I want that too.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:45 pm

Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Sam, that Alkaholics sounds shitty? Bummer. That album was meant to be BUMPED.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 5:48 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

That version. All that shit was meant for discmans anyway.

I think the only thing Steely Dan is good for is providing samples for De La Soul.

the Clash -Sandinista
Monster Magnet -Spine of God
Royal Trux -Twin Infinitives
Drunks with Guns -s/t
Judas Priest -Sad Wings of Destiny/Stained Class/Sin After Sin
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 6:39 pm

Royal Trux -Twin Infinitives

This record should come with a bag of brown powder.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:05 pm

Jon Wayne Texas Funeral
Drunks With Guns s/t
Couch Haters Of Couch 7"
Hound Dog Taylor Beware Of The Dog
and another copy of Jon Wayne in case the 1st one gets fucked up somehow.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:06 pm

it would just be nice if I saw them in somebody's stacks when I came over box wine style.

this is the way i look at it. not best, just records you're always glad to hear.

and box wine really makes the party.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:12 pm

Couch Haters Of Couch 7"

That discog cd on Bulb is great!
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:16 pm

yeah man!

prehensile monkey tailed skink, too!

ann arbor chaos rock circa 95... thems were the days right there.

goner should do a "4 Old 7"s" of that shit.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:25 pm | Edited by: jonwayne

texas wine=fruit of the vi-yin.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:30 pm

BEEJOSHES!
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:36 pm

Blacktop - I've got a Baaad Feelin' About This
King Sound Quartet - S/T
The Now Time Delegation - S/T
a Feast of Snakes - S/T
the Gospel Swingers - S/T

mandatory!

*pretty please?*
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 7:37 pm

It ain't Oklahoma.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 8:39 pm

a Feast of Snakes - S/T

i agree for real
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 8:51 pm

it ain't arizona.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:01 pm | Edited by: nicks name

Drunks with Guns -s/t
That's funny you say that. I'd never really heard this band, but Mike who sang for them is my new drummer.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:03 pm

It's just Tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-Texas Wine.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:28 pm

Damn. Mike S picked a few off my list, but I still gotta list a couple of 'em. This is hard. 5 really isn't enough. This is what I couldn't live without..

Badfinger- Straight Up
Kinks- Village Green
Velvet Underground- White Light White Heat
Serge Gainsbourg- Histoire de Melody Nelson
Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:31 pm

stones- sticky fingers
led zeppelin- III
dinosaur- you're living all over me
minutemen- double nickles on the dime
iron maiden- number of the beast

give me those.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 9:32 pm

Oh, on the Gun Club. Fire of Love is essential. Mother Juno is good enough, but not essential. Just my opinion.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 10:14 pm

miami for gun club
is pretty great as weeell
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 11:37 pm

sticky fingers
thin lizzy-jailbreak
blaze foley-live at the austin outhouse
aretha franklin-from the delta to detroit
the gories-i know you fine but how you doin?
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 11:58 pm

What a misleading thread title. I was hoping to get a jump on my Christmas shopping from the suggestions here. Records "everyone" should own. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting my grandad a copy of Killed By Death #2. And I'm not coughing up my hard earned dough to get my aunt a copy of S.O.D's Speak English or Die if she's only going to throw it in the trash, she'd probably do the same with Aretha Franklin's From the Delta to Detroit too.
Posted: Jul 22, 2005 11:59 pm

double nickels on the dime!
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 12:01 am

hold on a second!

Drunks with Guns -s/t
That's funny you say that. I'd never really heard this band, but Mike who sang for them is my new drummer.

um, are you for real? the Drunks With Guns lp and (real) 7"s are unbeatable degenerate scuzzpound. have him make you a mixtape (and ask if there's unreleased stuff around!)
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 12:27 am

i think that De La Soul is dble lp..? lemme check...I know TCQ Low End THeory is a dble lp..
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 1:45 am

miami for gun club
is pretty great as weeell

True dat.
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 2:57 am

What a misleading thread title. I was hoping to get a jump on my Christmas shopping from the suggestions here. Records "everyone" should own. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting my grandad a copy of Killed By Death #2. And I'm not coughing up my hard earned dough to get my aunt a copy of S.O.D's Speak English or Die if she's only going to throw it in the trash, she'd probably do the same with Aretha Franklin's From the Delta to Detroit too.

So what's on your own list then?? I know when I'm a grandparent I'm still going to be listening to the Oblivians and The Dead Boys on a weekly basis so maybe the problem is with your family. My grandpa's 78's of Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Glenn Miller and Count Basie and his old Delco record player which I now own are still just bitchin'.
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 3:59 pm

Eric, I'll ask him if he has any unreleased stuff. Yeah, he already burned me the CD and my wife had the Headgiver 7", but I had never listened to it.
He's a great drummer though. Best I've ever played with...
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 4:18 pm | Edited by: JJ Champion

But I hear that the vinyl of "3 Feet High" is fucked because they's so many tracks and it sounds like 2 pieces of doo doo in my hand.

This is true. I wish somebody would reissue it as a doupble lp with fat sound. I bet it's already been done but I ain't heard about it.

There has in fact been a double-LP reissue of "3 Feet High and Rising." I got it a couple of years ago.

Also suffering from the too-much-playing-time-jammed-onto-a-single-LP problem was Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique," which was also reissued as a double.
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 4:44 pm

I feel every home should own at least one Son House record
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 5:04 pm

These are records I've bought more than three times(because I break em',bite holes in em' when I'm drunk,or lend them out,and never see them again).My favorite is (#1)JUDAS PRIEST UNLEASHED IN THE EAST.you can put "SINNER" on at dance parties.It's well recepted.(#2)RAMONES- ROCKET TO RUSSIA cuz creitens like it(#3)CRAMPS-LIVE AT THE PEPPERMINT LOUNGE.What a DAMN good record(#4)ROLLING STONES-GET YER YA YA'S OUT.The prom queen gave me that one,and it grew on me.(#5)MOTORHEAD-NO SLEEP TILL HAMMARSMITH.Fast Eddie Clarke is way under rated. THEY AIN'T NO NEW RECORDS,THEY'RE OLD STAPLES. IF YOU DONT OWN THEM,BUY THEM. I most certainly will! AGAIN!
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 5:13 pm

Disney's"Haunted Mansion"was my favorite record too,when I was FIVE.It used to scare the BEJESUSSHIT OUTTA ME! It got stolen. My fave right now is JUDAS PRIEST-UNLEASHED IN THE EAST.I've bought that record four times .........so far. I keep getting drunk and breaking it in fits of rage.
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 5:17 pm

im gonna go listen to it RIGHT NOW .I hope it survives .I'm drunk in the middle of the day again.
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 5:17 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

I have probably 5 copies of BLONDE ON BLONDE, the essential 60s record and probably the essential 20th Century record.

I also have about 5 copies of LONDON CALLING too.

I have multiples for all the same reasons as miss linda --- plus, one for the house, one for the car, one for the walkman, one for the office has become a rule.

Of newer records, I have multiples of these essentials:
TOO MUCH GUITAR, ULTRA GLIDE IN BLACK and ROCKET TO RUSSIA as well

I think EVERY record collection should include these.... your parents can dig these (mine would.... in their 80s if alive)
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 6:14 pm

5 classics that no one mentioned:

angry samoans - back from samoa
johnny cash - at folsom prison
dwarves - blood guts and pussy
nikki & the corvettes - s/t
cheap trick - live at budokan
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 6:31 pm

I'm GONNA GET THE NEW IGGY even if it's shit. dwarwes "blood guts & pussy" ........I only bought that record twice. Listened to it at 6:00 A.M. today.
Posted: Jul 23, 2005 10:01 pm

You people make me happy - not only can I now tell my woman that there is proof that there are other people in the world who buy multiple multiples of their favorite records but you guys keep naming all the stuff I have and love.
Posted: Jul 25, 2005 6:28 pm

Kinks - Village Green
Monks - Monk Time
Legal Weapon - Your Weapon
Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream
Deep Wound 7"
Posted: Jul 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Monks - Monk Time

I don't know how I could've forgotten to list that. I AM a Monk!
Posted: Jul 25, 2005 6:37 pm

and it's called "Black Monk Time."
Posted: Jul 25, 2005 6:47 pm

oops, I typed that whilst downloading porn
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®