Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / SPENCER P. JONES
Posted: Jun 26, 2005 7:47 pm

A heads up to all Goners who may not know about him. Spencer P. was guitar player in the Beasts of Bourbon (with Kim Salmon...ya'll already know about Kim & the Scientists and the Surrealists and the Beasts, rights?)

I had his newest solo record Fait Accompli before I went to Australia, I didn't know he has four total (!). I picked 'em all up while I was down there. I also played two shows with him. Goddamn, Spencer is THE SHIT. Just great, simple, genius rock n' roll songwriting. Nuthin' gimmicky. If you like the Beasts, you'll dig his solo shit. If you like rock n' roll, check him out.

Really, I'm depressed nobody knows about him in the states because he was fucking bad-ass and his records are excellent. He covered Blacktop (Your Pretty Face) on one of 'em. Check it out. I'm trying to spread the gospel, here.

On Spooky Records:
Spencer P. Jones
- Fait Accompli
- The Last Gasp
- The Lost Anxiety Tapes

On Red Eye:
Spencer P. Jones
- Rumour of Death

Highly reccomended, says me. Eric, you stock any of this shit at the store?
Posted: Jun 26, 2005 8:46 pm

Spooky Records has mp3s posted here
Posted: Jun 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Spencer IS THE SHIT...

We booked his show over Paris...and boy do they truly rock...like no one....no bullshit...
When he went back from tour he was feeling sad of leaving all the good things on the old continent, and finding back some other less-exciting stuff in Australia...hope he's doing better...

Buy his stuff at ANY cost
Posted: Jun 27, 2005 1:56 pm

I love Spencer. But it seems really hard to find that Aussie Red Eye and related stuff over here. Ever since the early 90's, even the Beasts of Bourbon records seemed to get harder to find.
Posted: Jun 28, 2005 8:56 pm

spencer keeps getting better and better. i'd rate his last couple of solo albums with the best of the beasts' stuff.

those red eye and black eye lps are hard to find here too. any beasts lp will go for $40 or so and you go months between seeing any. i've seen those black eye comps "waste sausage" and "leather donut" go for up to $100.
Posted: Jun 29, 2005 5:20 pm

Hey, Rich - has he got my mule tattooed on him yet?
Posted: Jun 29, 2005 5:30 pm

The quality of Spencer P. Jones' music doesn't surprise me at all. After all, through my adolescent years I spinned my Beasts of Bourbon records at least once a week and I still rate "The Axeman's Jazz" as one of the best albums ever! I must admit I haven't checked out his solo stuff but this will change NOW. Europeans could do worse than order his 3 solo records at Glitterhouse http://www.glitterhouse.com/index.asp?lang=e&mode=search&submode=&id=&searchfor=spencer+p.+jones&sea rchmode=0&pos=&wk=&rnd=0%2C8082392&s1=&s2=&incs=false...
Posted: Jun 29, 2005 8:12 pm

Hey Schooley - that cd you brought me back is fuckin OSSUM. I like his version of Waukeegan even better than the original. Thanks.
Posted: Jun 29, 2005 10:17 pm

No problem, Alex. So does this mean you're buying the BBQ?
Posted: Jul 1, 2005 12:23 am

Nope - I already have it. It's a good cd. Love it!

heh heh.
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 3:50 am

SPJ is hosting a grand final (that's Australian football talk there) show here in Melbs this .weekend Playing two sets, as well.
Ass swell!
Posted: Sep 2, 2018 12:14 am

Sad to say Spencer passed away last week - liver cancer (uck cancer!)

an oldy but a goody

RIP
Posted: Sep 9, 2018 10:37 pm

RIP. FUCK CANCER.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®