Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Chicago's best BBQ?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 5:06 pm

so far it's been Hecky's and Ribs & Bibs, but Arman knows of another good one near his place. Any others worth checking out?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 5:14 pm

So far I'm still a fan of Smokin' Woody's up on Lincoln.... Great hickory flavor. Warning though, when you go in there the place will saturate yer clothes with the smell of a bbq pit....
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 5:18 pm

Warning though, when you go in there the place will saturate yer clothes with the smell of a bbq pit....

You say it like it's a bad thing!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 5:21 pm

I haven't had Smokin' Woody's yet. My wife says it's the shit. There's an article in time-out about this. I wouldn't wipe my ass with Carson's, that shit is over-rated.
Who won the BBQ showdown at Cal's fer Srini's thing?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 5:29 pm

You guys know it was Ribfest up in Lincoln Square last weekend
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 5:51 pm

BBQ is not real BBQ unless it is from Memphis.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:11 pm

Who won the BBQ showdown at Cal's fer Srini's thing

Arman was the only one who ended up cooking.

Robert showed up in a limo with a silk scarf around his neck and brushed past the proletariat in a huff, declaring he needed to moisturize before performing.

At least that's how I remember it.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:15 pm

Warning though, when you go in there the place will saturate yer clothes with the smell of a bbq pit....

You say it like it's a bad thing!

Not a bad thing at all! I just said that 'cuz I made the mistake of goin' in work attire and walked out to return to work smellin' of a grill. The clients were not to pleased by my smell, even though I think if they could bottle it, I'd wear it every day!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:16 pm

a friend of mine swears by this place on division and central, the only downside to it is it's at division and central.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:19 pm

Last summer I went to a BBQ joint in Chicago across from the movie theater called Fat Willy's Ribs or something. Fucking goodness!

Damn, I miss Chicago right now and I hate Chicago.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:27 pm

chicago has bbq?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:32 pm

Woody's ain't all that, and it's a bit over priced.

N&N Smokehouse was the tops, before they closed down a few years ago. So far I haven't found anything in Chicago nearly as good.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:35 pm

chicago has bbq?

after you discover how lousy their pizza is you'll need bbq.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:40 pm | Edited by: Agony Bag

I've lived here for over eight years and have not had deep dish, with the exception of Piquods, which is it's own thing altogether.
Chicago has BBQ? do you know how big the southside really is?
literally millions of black folks and none of them know how to BBQ?

the real BBQ is from Montreal, stupes!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 6:43 pm

BBQ MOOSE!

the real BBQ is from Montreal, stupes!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Hey our pizza is great guys! Piquods is better than fucking air!!! We like our crust huge because we are dignified and we don't want the sauce all over of fucking bellies. and of course we gots BBQ. Plus, I thought the REAL bbq was from either TEXAS or the Carolinas...are we really going to start a geographic-crub cock sling here?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:04 pm

probably so.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:04 pm

Shit, my personal fave since I've been here in Chicago has been bandit's sauce and pork loin. Shit, man, I want that recipe for that sauce!!!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:05 pm

it's just bloody jizz.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:09 pm

The Bazzook is right, there's jizz in there, bloody jizz---That's why it's red. I've been meaning to get it checked out but it's so good in my sauce I don't want ot ruin a good thing.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:10 pm

HAHHHAAH! So that's what was really burn yer eyes and nose and not the peppers you were tellin' me about.... Damn, if that's the case, you have A-1 jizz.....
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:19 pm

I've been making a french fry sauce with mayo, ketchup, crystal hot sauce, garlic powder and lemon juice. it's really great!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:22 pm

how big the southside really is?
literally millions of black folks and none of them know how to BBQ?

That place down the street from Soul Vegetarian is supposed to be alright. I forget the name... I've never eaten there. Too black, too strong.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:27 pm

I gotta chorizo burger recipe for the next goner cook book.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 7:47 pm

I gotta chorizo burger recipe for the next goner cook book.

Damn!!!! Man, this is gonna be good!

Eric, when can we start submitting recipes????
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 8:20 pm

mmmmm soul vegetarian.........
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 8:27 pm

what's the stinkiest thing on earth?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 8:36 pm

what's the stinkiest thing on earth?
Not Limburger!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:28 pm

joanie talked to me about Limburger for 20 minutes at Srini's party.
20 minutes.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:30 pm

come on guys. the answer is:
and anchovie's pussy, duh.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:41 pm

of course! an Anchovie's pussy! My heads up my ass.

Yeah as it turns out Joanie and Ryan are Cheese pussies.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:44 pm

what could someone have to say for 20 minutes about limburger? I only know it exists from Fozzie Bear jokes.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:47 pm

i've found out that limburger smells like hot garbage.
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:47 pm

And Our Gang shorts!
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 10:53 pm

How do you know how Our Gang's underwear smelled?
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 11:15 pm

he's been hanging out with creepy sock hangin out my ass boy
Posted: Jun 15, 2005 11:27 pm

Is Fredine's still out in the dmz on Chicago Ave? I'm not sure if it was as great as I remember or I was drunk or starving every time we risked our lives going there at 3am....
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 8:27 am

it's just bloody jizz.
ack ack ack...!
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 3:16 pm

How do you know how Our Gang's underwear smelled?

Short FILMS! Short FILMS!

It really was in those! Or Little Rascals...
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 4:49 pm

i've been to woody's a few times and it was a bit lame. if not for the BBQ then the 'old gas station' style signs on the wall. clearly not olde at all. there is a place on madison and cicero that i need to check out. i heard it's pretty awesome and they are open late AND deliver. went to robinson's in oak park last weekend. the sauce was a bit wimpy, but the rib tips were fall off the bone/cartilage awesome. for a local chain, it's pretty good.

srini's party: best. party. ever. now get the fuck out of town, bitch.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:05 pm

robinson's in oak park is great. they opened up an "express" location on chicago and austin about a month before i moved out of austin. great timing by yours truly.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:33 pm

srini's party: best. party. ever.

i need to see Chris's pictures. i need to see the fists pumping.
Arman, I was pretty sure you were going to make a pass at me, unless you were making a pass at me. hmmm....

robinson's in oak park is great

kermit, did you live in Austin (neighborhood) or on Austin. I lived on Austin across from Columbus park for a few years. my girlfriend works at the library out there, where the creepy washcloth boy was standing at her desk for 5 hours.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:40 pm

I lived on Austin and Augusta in a mammoth (1,600 sq. ft) apartment with my ex and our dog that we got for cheap because of the neighborhood. Before that we lived on Washington Blvd. in OP, i used to bike to the blue line near where you used to live everyday. is your girlfriend at the OP library or CPL?
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:46 pm

she's at the OP library. has been there for about 5 years now.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 5:51 pm

The new (ish) one on lake street? that's a pretty cool library. me and the ex used to go there all the time. get some ice cream at oberweis, walk through scoville park, go to the library. too bad they had to move hemmingway's birthplace and boyhood home to expand the library but the end result was worth it. is it just my imagination or is that place a magnet for freaks?
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 6:02 pm

I've learned that all public libraries are full of freaks. They recently arrested some homeless guy there for putting some chick in the trunk of his car and trying to run off with her. neat.

As for the building itself, I'm not the biggest fan. I think it's pretty sterile. The day it opened I was in the elevator with OP's lesbian mayor and (not knowing she was the mayor) told her I thought the library kinda sucked (after she asked my opinion). she didn't seem too happy.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 10:33 pm

I've learned that all public libraries are full of freaks.

yeah, jay, they are called 'librarians'.
Posted: Jun 16, 2005 10:41 pm

REAL bbq was from either TEXAS or the Carolinas
Bullshit!

As far as BBQ goes... anything along I-55, from Memph to Chicago. The Mississippi River should be filled with sauce.
Posted: Aug 5, 2005 8:24 am

i remember seeing this thread awhile ago and was glad i found it...
anyway, that smokin woodys place just opened up CALVIN'S CHAR B QUE a block away from my house on armitage and stave(?)
opened thursday, im checkin it out for lunch friday
will report back after eating

by the way, i was really impressed with horseshoe
only ate there once, but it was a great lunch
had the pulled pork sammich
wife had some chicken
both great
juke was busted, so no motorhead during lunch...
too bad
place does seem over style-ized, although the walls of empty md 20/20's and king kobra's behind chickenwire remind me of college
Posted: Aug 5, 2005 9:05 pm

Just tried the new BBQ place on Howard Ave. near Ridge up on the edge of Rogers Park. It's called BBQ Bob's and it's fucking goood and cheap. 1/2 BBQ chicken for $4, and the sandwiches (chopped pork, brisket) are $4.50 with fries and are HUGE. This shit's legit and even comes with grape sody.

How was Calvin's Char B Que, Velcro?
Posted: Aug 6, 2005 1:29 am

man, it was good
i did however only get a western burger , which had bbq sauce, but nothing remotly ribbish
i had been craving a big ass burger for awhile now... and ut was massive
it had the crunchiest bacon on it
anyway the smoke chicaken got an a+ from my wife and my son chewed the drumstick
happily
good baked beans too

gonna try the rib tips tomorrow
lunch special

saw matt there. i think he got the tips
Posted: Aug 6, 2005 4:18 pm

I tried the sweet potato fries. quite excellent.
Posted: Aug 6, 2005 9:20 pm

did u get the tips there too?
i saw charlie there today and tom and hank
i keep mentioning people you dont know, sorry
i saw you there, prob with your dick out though..
Posted: Aug 6, 2005 9:22 pm

Never been to Chicago. Isn't that Oprah's state? Ever eatin a hot dog with her or any food? I wonder if she prefers Coke or Pepsi.
Posted: Aug 7, 2005 4:09 am

Did Farmer Brown's go down with Cabrini Green? Fellahs I worked with would pick some up /go on runs and bring it in. They didn't recommend that I take my pasty ass there alone. I never did see it.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 5:20 pm

i got the word that calvin's is not good at all. by the way: if y'all havent' been to "feed" yet on cali and chicago, then go. the food is good and the bar next to has an awesome juke box.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 5:46 pm

Arman, is that Donna's restaurant? Have you ever tried Lem's on the Southside? I heard that's good. I tried Woody's once about 6 years ago and was pretty unimpressed. The "brisket sandwich" was an Italian Beef with BBQ sauce on it...
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:23 pm

yep, donna's new place. banana fucking pudding! haven't been to lem's. yes, woody's along with the nn smokehouse are limp. italian beef: i tried mr. beef after my 'court' date. pretty good, but i think i still like boston's better.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:33 pm

Feed was great! I just wish they woulda had more than just chicken. Do they switch up the menu often? The sides were awesome (corn pudding!).
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:38 pm

they do. didn't you see that that had ceasar salad? yeah, hopefully they will expand the meat on the menu. plenty of awesome sides though. they'll be doing breakfast soon also.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 7:41 pm

haven't been to feed yet, but I'll get there soon. If it's the same chef who's also got Bite going then I already got my mouth open. I love that place. I think the "just chicken" schtick is fine especially going along with the name "feed" and the big chicken they have on the sign out front. I hope, though I haven't eaten there yet, they stick with it. You can make ANYTHING outta fucking chicken!
aside from that...California and Western???...what is that the new non-hot hot spot? I understand about cheep rent, but jeez...why don't they just open a place on the moon too?! If it's good though they will come. right?

See I heard Woody's was great. I haven't tried it yet, but I looks like I'll stay away from the Brisket.
Posted: Aug 8, 2005 7:48 pm | Edited by: messageboardbandit

"but I looks like..." I just sounded like Popeye there.

is woody's not even using brisket for brisket? I mean they are two different cuts of meat. Italian beef is usually from the bottom round not the belly.
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 6:28 pm

I went to a place called Uncle John's on E. 69th this weekend and thought it was pretty great. Absolutely amazing links and tips and the sauce had a nice balance of flavor and heat. We went early Saturday and they didn't have slabs ready yet after a busy Friday night, so will have to go back in the future.
Posted: Mar 10, 2018 3:29 pm

MBarker
arman
Farmer Brown's closed 'temporarily' sometime in the 1980s as the owner had fallen ill. Thereafter he passed and his wife decided not to reopen the business. The building still stands empty. Lines outside in the evening included neighborhood folks along with some pasty ones from the Rush Street crowd. It was always peaceful at Farmer Browns, but the surrounding neighborhood was another story,
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am

vice says brooklyn has the best bbq
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm

I read that atrocity as well and then dismissed it. Idiots.
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am

The Troll:
atrocity

you got it. it pissed me off so much i cooked a brisket flat just because i needed to see decent looking brisket
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm

The picture in that article was stoopid. I read somewhere that the Vice article was actually from 2014, but I bet it made as much sense then as now (and I couldn't even wade through it).

I've been on a point kick lately - loving the burnt ends. I suppose I could open a pop-up burnt end joint, drop three, four cubes of burnt ends on some butcher paper, maybe a frozen Pillsbury biscuit and charge $15 for the pleasure. I'm sure I'd then be boycotted for culturally appropriating Brooklyn cuisine. I'm sorry, people of Brooklyn, for stealing your stuff. I'm really just an unimaginative asshole that doesn't have a man bun and still uses two (2) spaces after a period.
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Oh, I was wrong about the biscuits. Those are King's Hawaiian Sweet rolls. My bad.
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 11:11 am

The Troll:
actually from 2014

looks like the they used brisket from 2014
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Burnt ends rule, but Kansas City burnt ends.

when in Chicago, Jim's Original polish.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®