Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Mexico City?
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 9:38 am

It appears that I am going to Mexico City soon for no real reason.

1) Should I coerce 3 other people to spend our Friday night at a lucha libre event? They are not big wrestling fans.

2) Is it worth even trying to seek out records or other shopping stuff or should I just stick to food & museums?

3) Any specific recommendations? Definitely going to archaeology museum & other stuff around that park.
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 3:40 pm

Womb Raider:
1) Should I coerce 3 other people to spend our Friday night at a lucha libre event? They are not big wrestling fans.

Neither am I, but I'd be pissed if I missed that.
Posted: Apr 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Hey, not sure if you already went, but...

Yeah, check out a lucha libre. I didn't have time when I was last there, but wished I had. From what I was told by a friend who lived there, the arena has a fenced in balcony for old ladies, where they shout the most vile shit at the wrestlers they don't like.

I found one okay record shop (though I forget the name). I'd suggest going to the El Chopo punk flea market on Saturday. Loads of people sell records there. If you do go, stop in the big Vasconcelos library right there - it's gorgeous.

Otherwise, eat lots of street food. And take Ubers, not taxis (there are - or were - loads of fake taxis around town that would pick people up and rob them).

I can't wait to go back - have fun!
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 4:59 pm

I'd definitely advise a day trip to the pyramids -- largest ones in the Western Hemisphere. There's local buses that go up there from a satellite bus station in the north of town, so it's cheap -- no need to get a "tour". Then you can just walk around and absorb all that pyramid power to your heart's delight.

the other thing I'd advise if you were a baseball fan is to go see a Mexican League game. I went to one in Puebla, pretty fun.

if you like murals look for the out-of-the-way ones, like there's a bunch in the federal social security office I think, also university is worth a visit to see those.
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm

they sell little replicas of the giant Aztec sacrificial altar, great souvenir.

also, don't drink the water and don't eat anything that's been washed in it, really.
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks. Already went (Easter weekend). Did not do any record shopping but man lots of punx walking around like it was 1980's L.A. or something! Toured the old Templo Mayor & saw lots of skulls and cool shit and went to the anthropology museum. Ate deer leg in a molé that was made from the ashes of cremated peppers, turned my poop jet black, good times. Highly recommend mexico city to anyone who can get cheap plane tix and can barely speak spanish.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®