Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Gonerfest
Posted: May 2, 2016 1:00 am

so... when the lineup gunna be announced ?
Posted: Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Eric is a great guy (from my limited contact) so I hate saying anything negative on here but these last two lineups (last year and this year) have been extremely underwhelming...I just don't get the NZ/Aus love. I guess it's a combination of that, the fact that most good "Gonerfest" bands have already played in years past, and that new music just isn't that great in 2016. I'd rather see some repeats than a bunch of fourth-tier garage-punk/post-punk though.
Posted: Jul 1, 2016 9:11 am

I think this year's lineup is great!
Posted: Jul 1, 2016 11:57 am

Reigning Sound (Original Lineup) Memphis, TN
Fred & Toody, Clackamas, OR
Nots, Memphis, TN
Chook Race, Melbourne, Australia
Counter Intuits, Columbus, OH
Midnight Snaxxx, SF, CA
Zerodent, Perth, Australia
Spray Paint, Austin, TX
Roy Irwin, Auckland, NZ
Trampoline Team, New Orleans, LA
Couteau Latex, Geneva / SF, CA
Useless Eaters, SF, CA
Sick Thoughts, New Orleans, LA
Opposite Sex, Dunedin, NZ
Archie & The Bunkers, Cleveland, OH
Aquarian Blood, Memphis TN
The World, SF, CA
Power, Melbourne, Australia
Buck Biloxi & The Fucks, New Orleans, LA
Blind Shake, Minneapolis, MN
Savoy Motel, Nashville, TN
Iron Head, New Orleans, LA
Oh Boland, Tuam, Ireland
Fire Retarded, Madison, WI
Bloodshot Bill, Montreal, Canada
Posted: Jul 1, 2016 12:00 pm

We're constantly trying to balance new and old with bands who can actually get to Memphis and "get" the Gonerfest thing... turns out NZ/Australian bands are really good and really love coming to Memphis. Open to requests for repeats- we don't want to do the same festival every year, but we know that some bands you just can't get enough of. This year is gonna be a pretty good mix, I think!
Posted: Jul 3, 2016 10:33 am

I've gone 5 times so far (2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014) and always have a blast. I may not like every band but I find at least one band each year that I never heard and really love (bring back the Stevens!). Going to Gonerfest is more than just the music for me - I really enjoy visiting Memphis and Memphis BBQ. Also, Soul Fish. I could really eat there every day of Gonerfest if I had to.
Posted: Jul 4, 2016 1:30 pm

I think what RSA is saying is ACTION SWINGERS !!!
Posted: Jul 5, 2016 8:45 am

i always walk out of GF as a new fan of 3-4 bands i've never heard before.

and now that everyone is doing some sort of fest (not a bad thing), i appreciate the lack of lots of overlap with the other fests' bands.
Posted: Jul 7, 2016 6:00 pm

I don't blame Goner that everything is lame now .
Posted: Jul 11, 2016 4:46 pm

I liked last year's lineup a lot. This year's looks good already. And I don't think everything is lame now at all. To the contrary—I think there are tons of good bands around and GF is still full of them. A lot of times things seem cooler in hindsight. Plus, things seem cooler when you're younger.
I'm old and jaded as fuck, but I still have fun at GF.

As far as repeat bands go, I'd love to see Pampers again.
Posted: Jul 12, 2016 10:22 am

ACTION SWINGERS!
Posted: Jul 14, 2016 3:16 pm

I think in terms of traveling across country, newer bands are maybe less of a draw just because a lot of those groups seem to take the opportunity to make a US tour out of it (we had the Aussies coming through the Bay Area for months after last year's goner fest), so in that sense, the one-off reunions are probably more enticing for us out of towners.

And, yeah, a lot of us are old and out of touch with many of the new groups (at least I am...).

That said, the lineup looks like a blast, for the acts that I am familiar with!
Posted: Jul 14, 2016 7:49 pm

I really dig the programs that Goner makes up for each Gonerfest. I kinda wish a slightly modified version was available, online, that had some content about the bands performing - not just links to facebook/bandcamp/soundcloud pages, though that is nice too. It would be cool to have some content, like interviews or reviews or funny whatevers and blahblahblahs that might help folks decide to attend or not. I know that takes effort and time but, as a potential attendee, I find that detail compelling, appreciated, and, like a guide book for a trip abroad, makes me plan and feel engaged in a decision to travel and explore. I'd love to be able to give an example of what I'm talking about, but, sadly, I haven't come across one in a long time.
Posted: Jul 14, 2016 7:56 pm

So, I said that and then looked at the Gonerfest website, duh. That's almost all of what I wanted - the history section is awesome and the FAQ and Hotel sections are good. It would be cool to hire an intern to flesh out the 'Bands' section. Blahblahblah
Posted: Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am

The slideshow is awesome too!
Posted: Jul 20, 2016 11:49 pm

Any chance Terry & Louie will perform again?
Posted: Jul 21, 2016 5:31 pm

That Dow Jones & the Industrials double album comes out in September. I know one of them is no longer with us, but it'd be amazing if you were able to convince them to get back together for goner fest...
Posted: Jul 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Royal Trux? They'll be in Columbus, OH the week prior. Would probably be a trainwreck but might be worth it.
Posted: Aug 1, 2016 8:39 am

Open to requests for repeats-

Hank Wood & The Hammerheads, Golden Pelicans, Pampers, Spits, Golden Boys, Compulsive Gamblers
Posted: Aug 1, 2016 10:12 am

I also saw The Bucc got sold. I hope they'll still be included in the Friday afternoon show & the fun after hours shows.
Posted: Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

The Gonerfest Program Guide is awesome! Well done!
Posted: Sep 29, 2016 6:24 pm

No Bucc shows from what I've been told.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®