Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Michigan Doomsday Prepping
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 8:37 pm

Thinking about climate change doomsday scenarios and it seems like buying some land in Michigan might be a good insurance policy. Bad economy = cheap prices, plenty o' fresh water and the winters should keep getting milder! But having never been to Michigan, what part of the state would be best? I am thinking southwest corner because i'm a cold weather pussy and it's close to Chicago, but I think most of the people still on this board live in Michigan so you guys tell me!
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 8:40 pm

If you are going for those reasons, I would think you wouldn't want to be near Chicago, so at minimum north of flint
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm not really envisioning a mad max style post apocalyptic nightmare, just seems like it might be wise to not put all my eggs in a below-sea-level basket. Given Michigan has a mild climate, arable land, and not susceptible to drought etc, might be best to invest while land is still cheap & before the entire state of California has to move elsewhere.
Posted: Sep 2, 2015 11:56 am

Kalamazoo-move there. Loads of bars that serve everything from good food, to cheap and micro brewed beer. Decent music scene with a few spots to see live bands. Two great record stores!!!! Good colleges. Museums, art galleries, libraries. Best of all, I live here!!!!!
Posted: Sep 2, 2015 11:59 am

I'd look close to Detroit/Ann Arbor, lots always going on there, and airport access is superior.

Also, you have the myriad cultural opportunities that the Motor City provides ...
Posted: Sep 3, 2015 5:48 pm

I think sometimes about going back to the U.P. when I retire. Hell, it's only going to get warmer. Not much to do up there, though, unless you're the outdoorsy type, though they did recently have a reunion of Marquette's first punk band.
Posted: Sep 3, 2015 11:10 pm | Edited by: Paul Lips

Pretty far up north, but you may want to consider..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay,_Michigan
Posted: Sep 4, 2015 1:51 pm

Actually have some friends who are determined to move to the Keweenaw Peninsula. Seems really remote, I think I'd go full on "Here's Johnny!" in the winters up there.
Posted: Sep 5, 2015 2:35 pm

There is no good answer here, but Mickey is probably the closest. Kalamazoo is still not that far from Chicago, as well as Detroit and Lansing. Stay away from Grand Rapids and the surrounding areas unless you've been lobotomized and wish to talk about jesus all the time and give the stink eye to that neighbor of yours who's covered in tattoos, "never leaves the house", and therefore "must be a drug dealer".

Though I have a feeling this topic is similar to when you were considering taking up kangaroo fighting. Did you ever work your way up to the big ones?
Posted: Sep 6, 2015 12:46 pm

And of course, you have to go to the Gay Bar!

Keweenaw Peninsula

I had some friends who went to school at Michigan Tech so I've spent some time up there. It's only 100 miles from Marquette and yet somehow it seems like they get twice as much snow.
Posted: Sep 8, 2015 1:06 pm

5 months of winter, just sayin', and that includes the one month of just grey.
Posted: Sep 8, 2015 4:07 pm

The UP is nice for campin and goin to cabin lookin bars in the small towns etc, but the winters last 2 mnths xtra than the LP, Detroit is slllllloooowwwwlllly rising from the ashes..Gran Rapids is ok, tons of micro brew bars plus youre an hour away from Lake Michigan... Kzoo has me, mickey, green top, homeless at bronson park and cheap rent. Pure Michigan!! plus i can show you were Tim Allen spent went to jail.
Posted: Sep 9, 2015 11:45 am

How's Texas Charter Township?
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 10:40 pm

Texas township is like 15 mins away from dtown Kzoo er so, woods, some farms etc.. Not too xpensive, couple lakes and 2 sports bars.
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm north of Gwand Wapids now. Plenty of vape shops, Family Dollars, tattoo parlours, health food type stores, and dutch deformed protestants. It's gross up here.

Dutch and I are gonna kick it in Cadillac soon. Hope we don't find some guy in a pussy looking for his keys to drive out.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®