Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Moving records safely in the hot hot heat...
Posted: Jun 14, 2015 11:37 am

I'm moving from Indiana to Austin this summer. Hot-ass mid-August to be precise, because that's how my lease worked out. I'll probably split the drive over 2 days.

So, I need some tips on how to safely move my records... I have a buddy who made the same summer move years ago, and he said his move warped a lot of his records. I don't know how many LPs I have (maybe 750?) or 7"s (maybe 250?), haven't counted in forever. Enough that it takes up lots of room and is very heavy.

Last time I made a major move was almost 10 years ago (NJ to IN) and I could fit what records I had then in my air conditioned car. Plus I moved at a more temperate time of the year. I was able to move most of my stuff in my car because I got rid of almost everything I had back then. Now I want to keep what furniture and other shit I've accumulated.

So, any recommendations on record storing vessel (I've used big plastic totes for moving them previously), putting them in my car or moving truck, bring them into air conditioned hotel since I'll be stopping overnight (god, there's so many and they're so heavy!) would be appreciated...
Posted: Jun 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Don't have any good tips but I would definitely pack them tightly in some 12 by 12 boxes instead of those totes
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Ever think about putting them neatly in a cooler?
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 1:23 pm

If you know anyone who works in a paint store, the best thing you can get are the boxes that hold 4 1-gallon paint cans. Perfect size/orientation for LPs and not too heavy when packed full. Just pack the records tight and they will not warp. I wouldn't let them sit in a hot car or truck in a parking lot in the sun for hours but as long as you're driving during the daylight hours they aren't gonna melt.
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Ugh. I've had that stupid "bandages" song in my head all afternoon now. Thanks.
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 10:01 pm

"somebody give me a bandage" by syracuse punker group?

what?
Posted: Jun 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Unfortunately, this...

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 4:51 pm

sorry i axed.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®