Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Ornette Coleman is a goner
Posted: Jun 11, 2015 9:35 am

Posted: Jun 15, 2015 5:09 pm

lemee guess. you guys never understood his music, anyway, did you?
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 9:59 pm

I dug jazz before I dug punk.

Golden Circle vol. 1 in the headphones the other night. I still think it's the most perfect session he ever did - both vols, actually. Always wished "Love Call" would have been better just because of the cover photo. Blue Note was really going for that look around that time. It's a pretty conventional listen as far as his music goes. His early Atlantic stuff is the full realization of bop, too. I wish Bird would have been able to hear how his perfection got perfected. "Art of the Improvisers" collection is a swinging bridge. Flawless, too.
Posted: Jun 18, 2015 2:04 pm

i appreciate your appreciation, Joe.

I always loved the "double band", Prime Time, and the "In All Languages" LP is a revelation for featuring the double band AND the acoustic band w/Charlie Haden, playing the same numbers.

Wish I had never dumped my copy of "Free Jazz" with the Jackson Pollock window.

He was a beautiful cat with a beautiful vision.
Posted: Jun 22, 2015 9:30 pm

a while back, for a brief moment, i thought Ornate Coalmen was a good band name. i was wrong, but still.
Posted: Jun 22, 2015 10:08 pm

didn't get "Science Fiction" til recently... blew my mind. Wow. RIP.
Posted: Jun 23, 2015 2:44 pm

"lonely woman" was first song i ever heard of his, on a mixed cassette of jazz stuff that was given to me by a teacher in order that i study the music so i could identify songs by random, short clips for the Academic Decathalon. i don't claim to know much about jazz, but he's my favorite.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®