Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Sobriety?
Posted: May 14, 2015 3:25 pm

I haven't had a drink or a ciggarette since May 4th. That's 10 days ago! I was breathing hard when I'd bend down to tie my shoes. I was blind fucking drunk at least 4 times a week for years. I don't mind hangovers, but they definitely make me less productive.

The weight gain from booze. I was around 170 at age 29. I'm about 220 now. NAY GOOD. Hoping that I can get down to 180 by Summer's end. The day I stopped drinking and smoking I also started eating super healthy food. Lots of fruits and veg all day. Lots of homemade hummus. Very simple dinners, but yeah... MEATS for sure. I've been riding my bike every day. 10 miles is my average on a beautiful trail down the road from here (I gotta drive to get the the pretty, safe, nature trail).

I've only done cocaine a handful of times since I moved to PA in '08. It's nice not having a delivery guy at my house in five minutes whenever I got the urge like in NYC. Last time I did any was when Heir Lick was here last year and he made me do it (good times brah!). But back to the booze...

I think I was always trying to achieve some kind of LSD state when I drank. When acid was first invented it was being used a treatment for alcoholism. I've been wondering for a few years if that was the key to me getting off booze. If I tripped on Saturday, would I be OK for the rest of the week? I don't know, but I feel real good now and I'm not freaking out about not having any beer or whiskey. No cravings, but I haven't been to a bar. My first DJ gig since quitting is this Saturday and I hope I can hang. I know Brad X has been sober for awhile and even played shows, and it's inspiring. I think the main reason I had to stop drinking is because I didn't want to smoke anymore. It's the only way I'll stay off cigs.

Besides getting healthy, I think the biggest plus is that I was afraid that music would be less weird, but that hasn't been the case. I still wan to get stoned or eat some mushrooms and bug out though. Is that a bad idea?
Posted: May 14, 2015 3:32 pm

I rarely drink anymore as well. I'm eating spinach salads and walking as much as I can.
Old age sucks.
Posted: May 14, 2015 3:42 pm

but smoking, dude. that's really the WURST.
Posted: May 14, 2015 4:04 pm

yeah i didnt have more than ten or twelve sober days in ten years or more, i never had a rock bottom moment, never lost my job or wife or license from drinking, but i did have a bad case of pneumonia that had me off the liquor for 3-4 days and i just decided to roll with it, hahaha. over 200 days sober now, and i am not even smoking weed anymore. thing is, i expected to be feeling great but the reality is, even if i didnt quit because of any health problems, beating my body up for all those years really took its toll. i have constant back and chest pain, and terrible anxiety issues. but yeah, we play shows constantly. we're in chicago this weekend, green bay next weekend, and milwaukee the weekend after that. with a newly reunited last sons of krypton and a tour/trip to NYC planned for this summer, i am easily averaging over 50 shows a year at this point, and have been doing so for the last 2 or 3 years, at least. i am also working six days a week. kind of losing my mind over here, to be completely honest, lots of issues i avoided for years instead of dealing with, and quitting drinking is only one of them. i am typically a very strong and confident person, and i have to admit, the anxiety is humbling. if i didnt have good friends and lots of support i have no doubt i would have been hospitalized by now. i am seriously considering applying for SSI because i am not sure at all how long i can keep this up... havent had a single drink in over 6 months though, and i am down from 295lbs to 235...
Posted: May 14, 2015 4:16 pm

it's gotta get better. keep it up! does your head still look like the Great Pumpkin?
Posted: May 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Tomorrow will be 3 years without a drink for me. Congrats dudes.
Posted: May 14, 2015 7:13 pm

bazooka joe

i dont know, maybe?

http://s14.postimg.org/slg532qyp/CAM00668.jpg
Posted: May 14, 2015 7:23 pm

not too great of a pumpkin.
Posted: May 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Been sober for almost two years. I haven't smoked in almost three. I feel pretty fucking awesome! I hadn't had more than a week of total sober days in about a decade when I quit, so... pretty big changes. As far as obvious physical changes, I had a passport photo taken around the time I quit, and retaken about a month later, and the change was ridiculous/drastic. Unrecognizable. However, I spent the first year in the same place as Brad - anxiety, dealing with all the bullshit feelings, etc. It goes away.

Nick quit, and he weighs about 150 pounds if he's lucky and eats whatever he wants.

I would still do hallucinogens. Good luck!
Posted: May 14, 2015 9:57 pm

lula pee:
I would still do hallucinogens.

That's the advice I was looking for! Way to go, Perryses!
Posted: May 14, 2015 10:06 pm

I smoke an industrial grade E-cig called an MVP itaste. I wasn't trying to quit but I like this better. And I can breathe and taste things again. It's a better buzz too. And waay cheaper. Haven't had a real cig in almost 2 years.
Posted: May 15, 2015 11:56 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

dtrain:
I smoke an industrial grade E-cig

don't do that in front of me boy i'll smack it out yo mouf!
Posted: May 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Quit whiskey in January 2014. Haven't had any liquor besides a couple margaritas since then. I still have the occasional beer but I never have more than three. Only smoke a couple cigarettes a day now but those are the hardest thing to quit. Still trying though
Posted: May 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Forgot to mention I was drunk for 15 years and at times smoked two packs a day
Posted: May 15, 2015 2:14 pm

been drinking since i was 13.

been smoking weed pretty much daily for 27 years.

done lots of other things, never did coke or H.

the trick is to not let it fuck up important things <<<< einstein
Posted: May 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Had a pretty bad alcohol problem for about 9 years (I can't think of any specific days that I was sober during that time except for some when I hadn't turned 21 yet and couldn't find booze), and I think I'm finally coming out on the other side of it. The trick for me is just to keep myself busy...I've been reading during any downtime that I have, and that helps keep my mind from being idle and helps me get to sleep (which I never could without drinking before). I haven't quit drinking for good, but I don't feel the desire to get drunk hardly at all anymore, and I think if I wanted to I could quit, which feels nice to say.

I go to way less shows now, as I always equated seeing live music with getting basically blackout drunk, but not much new music has really "inspired" me lately either so I don't think there's a direct correlation there. If Dead Moon was coming to my town I would absolutely be there.
Posted: May 15, 2015 7:17 pm

love this. Stoked for all of you
Posted: May 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Good luck, good sir. Not an easy thing, but easier if you are behind the idea yourself.
Posted: May 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Jack O and The Sheiks are coming to town to play next month. Not sure if they're staying with me or not, but if they are I'm gonna have to get really fuckin stoned while they're drinking in front of me at my house. Hope they don't smoke my whole stash. I ain't even got none yet!
Posted: May 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Shitters, quitters, and non-committers. All y'all.
Posted: May 16, 2015 9:48 am

I'm not saying I'm never gonna drink again, but I definitely gotta revert back to my ideal weight. I might not even want to drink when I get there. Who knows? Just glad I recognize that I do indeed have a problem with drinking, and that's that I can't stop once I start. The psychedelics though... I can't wait to trip on a lake or something. WOOOO!!!! PARTY!!!!!!
Posted: May 16, 2015 4:29 pm

yeah i never intended to quit drinking either, i just wanted to cut back, maybe quit for a couple weeks but once i started seeing all the good it was doing in my life, the idea of going back to how i was before was scary. i still feel like sooner or later i should be able to have a couple beers, but maybe thats just because i cant stand the idea of "forever"
Posted: May 16, 2015 6:06 pm

I tried the "just having a couple beers" approach after a few months the first time I tried quitting and was back to "a whole bunch every night" within a month. I don't think any addictive drugs work that way once they have their claws in you. They don't for me anyway.
Posted: May 16, 2015 8:04 pm

I still want to get stoned or eat some mushrooms and bug out though. Is that a bad idea?

Mushrooms are fine. As a matter of fact, psilocybin is a sobriety enhancement drug and if you are in a twelve step program you should reward yourself with a shroom once you complete the twelfth one, you've earned it. Psilocybin is good for the brain much to the chagrin of the Nixon/DEA war on drugs dinosaurs. It creates neural connections you don't normally have and if you do it often enough you can bring this more enhanced and expanded consciousness into your everyday life, which is a good thing. For more info about what scientists recently discovered regarding the fascinating effects of psilocybin on the brain, here's a news link;

http://news.yahoo.com/magic-mushrooms-create-hyperconnected-brain-172648890.html

A dose of LSD every three to five years is good also. It helps with things like ego perspective etc. It's another drug unfortunately demonized by fear and ignorance. All things in moderation is fine.

Salvia is highly recommended. It will introduce you to a dimension of yourself you didn't know existed. It will remind you that your reality belongs to you. Do what thou wilt.

Avoid weed. It is the drug of mediocrity and complacency. Cannabis is the patron saint of underachievers. Waste of time and money. Not compatible with being driven and goal oriented. Clogs the memory lines of the brain creating slower and more difficult recall. Most high energy/high achievers in this world don't touch the stuff. Remember that. That said, a little smoke on your annual vacation is okay. Just don't be habitual or chronic.

Yes, you're reaching the age now where you must leave the youthful imbibing behind and take care of yourself or else die sooner than you otherwise would have to. If you can drink occasionally and not overdo it when you do, I suppose that's alright. But if you drink like a maniac or alcoholically when you drink, the divorce from alcohol must be complete. That said, if you're sitting in a historical pub in Europe you may excuse yourself under these conditions with a few pints of ale. I know I'm going to when I return to Europe. To sit in pubs hundreds of years old where people like Dickens and Dylan Thomas and others have drank and not hoist a pint in honor of my ancestral lineage (Anglo Saxon) would be a sin against my heritage.

And last, fuck the naysayers about your new healthier lifestyle choices. It's your life and your health. Tell 'em to grow the fuck up if they don't like it.
Posted: May 16, 2015 9:54 pm

bazooka joe
I'll do it wherever the fuck want mister Mexico.
Posted: May 17, 2015 8:58 am

Yeah, I agree with Teabag. I think there is a fear about doing other drugs because you're lumping them with alcohol in your mind. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and makes you make stupid decisions. So, I wouldn't drink if you have a heroin problem, for example. But I don't think it works the same in reverse, because weed and hallucinogens don't impair your judgement in the same way.
Posted: May 17, 2015 9:59 am

Really appreciate the mushroom advice, TT! I wonder how many records I can listen to before they wear off.

Tim Teabag:
And last, fuck the naysayers about your new healthier lifestyle choices. It's your life and your health. Tell 'em to grow the fuck up if they don't like it.

Haven't run in to any of that yet.
Posted: May 17, 2015 1:11 pm

I need to cut out the binge drinking. I get cardiac arrhythmia with my hangovers that can only be alleviated with more booze.
Posted: May 17, 2015 3:16 pm

i cut out the drinking about 2 years ago - cigarettes too
but you'll have to pry my Snoop Dogg G-Pen out of my cold stoned fingers

Crucial Motherfucking Punk
Posted: May 18, 2015 4:19 pm

hey, a great thread. past several months i've been coming closer to trying to kick various addictions. i was gonna call them habits, but that are not habits. they are addictions. i feel i am behind the idea, but i just can't control myself in my surroundings. last week i didn't have any booze during the week (or...i drank two beers that were given to me)and felt pretty confident that i could go booze-free on the weekend, especially since i was going to be home alone the whole time. by the end of the work day friday i'd convinced myself it was ok to pick up a couple tallboys. then at the liquor store i started sweating and fretting and figured, hey, why not a pint of whisky, i can make it last the weekend (yeah right). couple beers and a whack of whiskey and pretty soon i'm calling friends and getting up to bullshit antics, spending money and brain cells. reading this thread has made me feel a lot better about myself and my addictions. i've been spinning my wheels too many years and been fine with just existing and partying. it's taking it's toll, phsyically but especially mentally.
Posted: May 18, 2015 4:21 pm

also, i don't worry about mushrooms at all, i eat 'em fairly regularly. but i still smoke too much pot, and tim teabag is right. i have zero ambition and i hate myself for it. it does slow down the negative thought processes, but it's a very temporary fix.

try salvia, but have a babysitter!
Posted: May 19, 2015 1:13 pm

you and me in the same place bruz. kick it to da curb! can't wait to get fungal. lotrimin barely works for me.
Posted: May 21, 2015 1:06 pm

good thread you guys.

I too find that going to shows means drinking heavily, and for me also seeing the World Champion SF Giants play ball happened that way. I was loaded for every game, would do an entire flask of bourbon and a few beers, and a reefer too. Same for shows/gigs, too.

I've cut back but I am a lot older than you guys, presumably, so also find cutting back on non-sober behavior means I'm not "inspired" to go rock out as much. It's tough being the oldest guy in the room when you're straight.

I always had the "nothing before noon" rule and that serves me well. I can't really smoke anymore, but do black tobacco without inhaling for the nicotine buzz in your mouth and here in Cali the edibles are going full steam ahead. and some of that shit is really great for listening to music with, and isn't that what we're all about --- the music???

cheers
Posted: May 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Jesse Garon:
I've cut back but I am a lot older than you guys, presumably,

41.5 here.

Jesse Garon:
I'm not "inspired" to go rock out as much.

If the band was the right band I'd be there in a jiffy, regardless.
Posted: May 21, 2015 1:49 pm

honestly i think i enjoy music more without being drunk. i certainly am more aware and remember it better the next day! smoking big chunks of hash helps too.
Posted: May 21, 2015 3:51 pm

bradx:
honestly i think i enjoy music more without being drunk.

I might be also. Definitely listening more frequently because I've never liked listening to much of anything when I'm hungover. The last couple weeks I've pretty much been drowning in obnoxious, loud noise.
Posted: May 21, 2015 4:16 pm

bazooka joe:
I've pretty much been drowning in obnoxious, loud noise.

playing those choke chains tracks a lot, eh?
Posted: May 22, 2015 8:38 am

Get Detoxed Play Records. Get Dosed Play Records.
Posted: May 22, 2015 8:48 am

m t millionaire:
playing those choke chains tracks a lot, eh?

i stopped until the test presses show up. then it's ON!

had my record dealer show up with a couple boxes of 45s last night. He always brings beer and it's a good time, but last night I didn't even flinch. just stayed focused on the wax and got a couple killers. ate a eggplant parm sub.
Posted: May 23, 2015 2:31 pm

I gave a plug to Choke Chains in Noisey this week.
Posted: May 26, 2015 6:05 pm

"Noisey" makes me wanna drown myself in 8 balls, vodka, and teenage strippers from Quebec. just sayin'
Posted: May 26, 2015 7:48 pm

rich riggler:
I gave a plug to Choke Chains in Noisey this week.

Thanks man.
Posted: May 26, 2015 10:25 pm

IT'S A TRAP!
Posted: May 27, 2015 4:59 pm

JK

Since I believe it affects my mental and physical well being, I've been thinking about quitting…not drinking, my job. Who invented this working for a living bullshit, anyway?
Posted: May 27, 2015 9:37 pm

How long can you bum around after you sell all your shit? That's how I'm looking at it. I'm hoarding records for about 20 more years. Hopefully it'll get me a beach shack in Baja. And then Im drinking a case of modelo every day!
Posted: May 28, 2015 9:02 am

I found this thread at the right time. I drink once, maybe twice a week now. I go to the same bar, drink a few cheap beers, and go home. But, a couple of times a year I go on benders of biblical proportions and have a shameover that lasts a while. I don't ever do anything bad. I don't fight or start nonsense. I don't do drugs, and I never really have. I just drink alot for four days and then feel as though I am the worst person to ever walk the earth. It's not the drinking or the weight or anything like that making me feel bad. It's the fact that I cannot recall what happened. And. its not like I have had 25 beers and this happens. Two or three drinks life is foggy. I believe this is a sign telling me to find something else to do. Maybe I will finally start smoking weed.
Posted: May 28, 2015 10:19 am

I have so much energy I feel like i Just did a bump of space coke.

Posted: May 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Grown-ass Man Shameovers are the worst! I don't even need to drink that much now to spend the next day not being able to shake those "oh god, what did I do/say last night??" feelings - even if logically I know that the answer is, "nothing much/you were pretty tame/boring." It reminds me of cocaine hangovers from my 20's, sans the fun and craziness. I guess the late 30's brain chemistry is just more easily pollutable.

It's all a conspiracy to keep us down, anyway...
Posted: May 29, 2015 1:30 pm

And,to piggy back on my last comment, I got a text from a buddy yesterday evening asking if I had seen him the night before and if he accidentally called my girlfriend a cunt. He was about ten hours into a 12 hour binge when I saw him. And yes he did.
Posted: May 29, 2015 2:01 pm

"How long can you bum around after you sell all your shit?" - BJ

I might just find out. I'll let you know.

If you can have a shameover without intoxicating substances then that explains a good percentage of my life.

Seriously, I'm in support of those who have cut back or cut out to get to a better place in their lives. I’m on a much lower dosage of self-medication myself these days.
Posted: May 29, 2015 5:52 pm

not a binge drinker, pretty much. have only blacked out once or twice. and that's in 20 years of hard liquor drinking.

stay healthy my friends. if you don't like or can't remember how you felt/are feeling, you're smart enough to overcome bad habits.

if my brother was still around, he would tell you:

A) a doctor is not always your best friend
B) let your conscience be your guide, and not your "pals"
C) God-given talent is not an excuse to abuse substances
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 8:20 pm

WOOPS.
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 9:44 pm

way to go, jackass.
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 9:56 pm

it's ok, i'll start again tomorrow!
Posted: Jul 5, 2015 8:46 pm

status update?
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 10:31 am

I started again today. Setting a goal to not touch any sauce or smoke until I go to Greece in September.
Posted: Jul 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Posted: Jul 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Cheers, Donk.
Posted: Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

you go, Joe.
Posted: Jul 29, 2015 1:47 pm

not going so well any more.
Posted: Jul 30, 2015 10:47 am

adding in-salt to injury:

i ate a fuckin BACONATOR yesterday.
Posted: Jul 30, 2015 1:01 pm

I have never had a baconator. Additionally, I have not had any alcohol this week. All of that may change soon as:

My Girlfriend likes junior baconators as her cheat food.
I bought a bottle of Colonel EH Taylors Small batch monday. Its getting popped soon.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®