Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Stairway to Heaven psychology 101.
Posted: Dec 29, 2014 11:00 pm

How many times have you heard Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin? (estimated times)
Does the song make you happy, sad, angry or neither?
How many times have you gotten into an argument over Stairway to Heaven?
Have you ever stabbed a Led Zeppelin fan on the subject "Jimmy Page is the best rock guitar player ever!!"
Are you listening to Stairway to Heaven rught now?

Discuss...
Posted: Dec 30, 2014 11:48 am

Is stairway to heaven the one that goes "bow now now now NOW" or the one that's like "bow wow now now WOW?"
Posted: Dec 30, 2014 11:51 am

Isn't it the one with "(Galileo) Galileo. (Galileo) Galileo, Galileo Figaro!"?
Posted: Dec 30, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how the guitar shop asshole knew that Wayne was playing it by those three notes he picked.

Also interested in acquiring the "No Stairway" sign.
Posted: Dec 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Roundabout
Posted: Dec 30, 2014 3:01 pm

I would guess that Wayne probably visited that shop many times and the gsa knew his tendencies.
Posted: Dec 31, 2014 2:52 pm

Ill be your roundabout.
Posted: Jan 3, 2015 1:08 am

bazooka joe
Because they were the first three notes to Stairway To Heaven.
Posted: Jan 3, 2015 10:42 pm

i kinda feel like it's the first four notes. haven't checked with the movie, just from memory.
Posted: Jan 3, 2015 10:56 pm

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 11:12 pm

it sucks!
Posted: Jan 6, 2015 3:52 pm

Have you ever lit your hair on fire with a lighter held aloft to hear yet another version of "Stairway to Heaven"?
Posted: Jan 13, 2015 9:24 am

It's pretty good karaoke material after the shouts of "seriously?" and "really?" die down.
Posted: Jan 14, 2015 8:36 pm

rad guitar solo. i always wanted to hate on jimmy page when i was younger, but...really? can you? i mean, guitar-wise? there's a great yardbirds live LP which i guess is from the last show where they were still thee yardbirds, right before page took over the whole band. awesome version of "dazed and confused." the guitar solos are absolutely fucking SICK and i hate describing cool things as "SICK." sounds like he's gotta be playing, like, .007s or something. INSANE. and he's like 23. fuck.
Posted: Jan 15, 2015 1:42 pm

I think he peaked with Screamin Lord Sutch and His Heavy Friends.
Posted: Jan 15, 2015 2:52 pm

"I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't write it until he was 22. I think that says a lot."
Vim (Bad News)

this show pre-dates Spinal Tap by a year or so
Posted: Jan 15, 2015 8:10 pm | Edited by: Tim Teabag

As far as those Spinal Tap type things go, I have a couple of ideas that if I had the income or resources I could have a lot of fun putting together a couple of different things. One would be a fictitious Viking Metal band, which that alone can be funny enough without intending to be, but they are an established popular Viking Metal band, like the Judas Priest of Viking Metal, and they’ve put out like four albums but the bass player is threatening to quit because they don’t have any songs with Valhalla in the title, and of course you can’t be a Viking Metal band without songs about Valhalla. The other members say things like “yeah but that’s so cliché” but the bass player is adamant that you can’t be a Viking metal band without any songs about Valhalla so he eventually quits and forms his own band, The Gates Of Valhalla or some such name and every other song has Valhalla in its title. He gets all of that out of his system and eventually reunites with the original band in one of the feel good moments near the end of the mockumentary. I also have ideas for them like coming out on stage in a Viking ship with dry ice machines emulating mist and fog on the ocean and the thing takes out a stage light that comes crashing down into the boat nearly taking one of them out. Those kinds of things for a Spinal Tap for the 21st century.
My other idea is about the “proghop” movement going on in the UK. It’s a thing where American urban hip hop meets 70’s inspired British prog rock, like Keith Emerson meets JayZ kind of thing. Two forms of music that seem diametrically opposed and as illogical a pairing as one could imagine becoming this wildly popular fake genre of music. They would have like a Canterbury fest or some such thing with all these bands playing in front of a castle and maybe some black British guys wearing crowns and purple royal robes and things on the mic while these white guys with British invasion bowl haircuts and the like play keyboards and various instruments in the band. If someone really came along and created a proghop band, while they would be laughed at today as a joke, rest assured thirty years from now they would be hailed as innovative legends.
Posted: Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm

i always thought page's guitar playing was overrated. what sounds "sick" to some people just sounds self indulgent and shitty to my ears.
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 11:46 am

Led Zepplin sounds self indulgent and shitty to my ears, not to mention plodding, hackneyed, and immature (squeeze my lemons, anyone?).

over the years it has become accepted as "the" rock sound, but only because it is ideally sonically situated for commercial radio.. in other words, they lowered the bar, and then went in and got fuckin' drunk there, puked and eventually did rude things with red snapper.

on the other hand, Plant has shown himself to be sincere.
Posted: Feb 21, 2016 9:50 am

Knock, knock at your front door
It's the suede-denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece
Posted: Mar 11, 2016 11:21 am

I guess I enjoyed them more as biblical scholars than just another half-assed "rock band".

Here's what they meant:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob's_Ladder
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®