Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Gonerfest highlights...
Posted: Sep 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Let's hear 'em. I wanna live vicarious-like through your stories. Watched the live stream of Len Bright Combo - looked like a blast!
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 11:26 am

My top picks in this order:

Radioactivity
Ausmuteants
Gooch Palms
Obnox
Spray Paint
Nots
Protomartyr

Enjoyed a lot more. Didn't see eveything. —And I am highly opinionated.
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 12:46 pm

I went all out this year & saw every band except Gimp Teeth & Life Stinks. (I only saw partial sets of some bands at Murphy's because of the overlap & my hangover/laziness. I also did not arrive early for Mancontrol).

11 thoughts about Gonerfest 11 --

1) I had no real expectations for Len Bright Combo. They know how to put on a show & I'm very happy I saw them. Same with the Gizmos.

2) Golden Pelicans killed!!! On Thursday + at the Buccaneer's after hours show. Nice guys, too.

3) I saw Deaf Wish & So Cow play in the week or two leading up to GF. Both were very good shows but their GF sets easily topped both. Deaf Wish especially - holy crap.

4) Gooch Palms! He showed me his wiener. It wasn't an exclusive. Easily my favorite band Sat afternoon.

5) The Dutch Masters set was a ton o' fun.

6) I'm not a big Exploding Hearts fan but there were plenty I know at GF who loved the Terry & Louie set. I liked it, too.

7) Not a surprise people dug Obnox. Bim worked the crowd, like Bim does. His first few songs were him rapping over some tracks he played off his phone.

8) I never saw Overnight Lows live but caught them at a Bucc after hours show & enjoyed it thoroughly.

9) I wasn't any kind of Grifters fan back in the 90s & thought their set was "meh". The Rebel set also did nothing for me.

10) Radioactivity, Ausmuteants, Warm Soda, Protomartyr = all solid.

11) Can't wait until next year (after I spend the rest of this week recovering - I had 12 hrs sleep over 3 days).
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 1:39 pm

SON OF VOM! SON OF VOM! SON OF VOM!

Thought Die Rotzz played a great set, and agree with everything Kooch said. The Saturday night show at the Buc was epic.
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 3:58 pm | Edited by: rayultine

Deaf Wish and King Brothers alone were worth the money I threw at Goner Records this weekend.

Was super duper sad to have missed Terry&Louie, Life Stinks, and Spray Paint cause of familial obligations.

GBR had a weird aftertaste. I love what Memphis Made is doing for the city, the beer scene, and the music scene, but all their beers are funky to me.

Was Quintron just jamming the fuck out because his synth wasn't cooperating, or is that what Weather Warlock is all about? Seeing him make a racket on guitar was really cool, but like... post-rock has been a dubious thing for twenty years already.

edit: wasn't in love with the radioactivity record, but they were goddamn awesome. Need to give the album another chance or 10.
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Also, big hearts to RSA for recording everything for the masses!!! Also putting up the closed circuit feed on the Murphy's tv when the inside stage was too crowded to smoosh in there = great thinking
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 9:56 pm

This year may have been the most fun of all I've been to. Key: pacing my drinking so I could make all the after parties and having at least one healthy (i.e. non-bbq) meal each day. I was also able to overcome (somewhat) my social anxiety and talk to lots of strangers. In no particular order, and not anywhere near all-inclusive...

*Did anyone else spy Gizmo Ted Niemec front and center at the start of Lumpy and the Dumpers' set?
*King Brothers!
*Giorgio Murderer set. Were there enough dildos? Can anyone really know?
*Radioactivity's Ramones-like assault.
*Being a fly on the wall during Rubberneck's interview of Life Stinks.
*The Life Stinks t-shirt. Yes, that one.
*My new favorite bathroom graffitti from the Bucc men's room: "get her cummer stuck"
*Discovering new bands, like the Stevens and Scott & Charlene's Wedding.

I got back to Bloomington tonight w/a few extra bucks and no intention of making dinner so I stopped at my local burrito joint. I was wearing my GF 11 shirt and the checkout guy asked me about GF and if he would recognize anyone who played. I named a few bands and left. It was another 10 min or so before I realized I didn't mention hometown heros the Gizmos.
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Oh, and Ausmuteants. How the fuck can kids so young have a sound so fully realized?!? Do I dare have hope for the kids of today?
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 1:51 pm

in no order

Radioactivity
Ausmuteants
The Connections
Spray Paint
Deaf Wish
Protomartyr
Sick Thoughts
Cool Runnings
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Hate being at work right now.

Can't talk; coming down...
Posted: Oct 1, 2014 5:06 pm

The Japanese guy with the long, bleached hair trying to play harmonica for Red Sneakers, then trying to play a different one, then turning it upside down (or right way up?), giving it another go, then playing both at the same time. He huffed on those til I thought he would pass out!
Posted: Oct 1, 2014 5:57 pm

Can someone explain how those Japanese folks just nap at odd times throughout the night? I didn't bother me, but I guess I wish I could rest my mind enough to nap at a show. Would make the boring bits less boring.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 4:18 am

^ha
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 9:55 am

What, you don't understand jet lag? Is a real thing.

To be honest, I was a little nervous about putting together this Gfest after blowing it out on number 10... and not sure if anyone really knew Len Bright Combo or cared about the Gizmos. Or if they would be into doing it OR would be any good. Somehow, they all were completely jazzed on being in Memphis for the thing, had a great time, and both were incredible onstage. The entire thing worked great, from Paul Collins through the King Brothers. We're just lucky to get such great bands and fans every year. A couple of jerks really brings the party down.

Personal Highlights-
Ausmuteants - so glad they made this trip.
Golden Pelicans - holy crap they've upped their game. Jeebus. Maybe the wildest the whole Hi Tone got all fest, in the 2nd band!
Gimp Teeth - love young bands grinding it out
Connections - should be huge. Also Deaf Wish should be huge. Connections mighta been the sleeper of the fest. .
Nathan Roche - Daytime outdoor stage was incredible- Scott & Charlene's Wedding, Nathan, Weather Warlock, Terry & Louie- but Nathan's got something going on that not many people can pull off. Classic almost Dylan rock songs that don't suck.
Rebel - great to hear Ben again.
Gizmos - incredible amount of work to get here, and as soon as they stepped out of the van they were ready to go. How? Onstage ball of greatness- any show where I smile and laugh that much is a great show.
King Brothers - Still got it.

PLUS having Tim Kerr looming around was a nice bonus!

Thank you!
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 9:56 am

Also as a Grifters fan their song choices were insane- super early stuff- and I loved their set. Super happy to have 'em in the mix.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 2:58 pm

Grifters were fantastic!
I've watched their set twice.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:06 pm

It seems like everything gets kicked up a notch or two for Gonerfest. I don’t think there was a band that I thought just stank on ice although I wasn't that keen on “The Rebel.” Some of the stand-outs to me:

Paul Collins Beat was very good especially since his voice was about half cashed and he had to strain to get the songs out. They sounded rougher and more urgent. Even better than I had previously seen him.

Golden Pelicans – I got a champagne facial. It would have been very homoerotic but only if you were into fat, ugly, middle aged bald guys.

Ausmuteants

Die Rotzz

Deaf Wish

Len Bright Combo – Perfect. My favorite. Eric played a Microfrets guitar very much like the one my brother gave me last Christmas.

Gooch Palms (nsfw) – I got inside after they started playing and saw something bounce off the head of a lady right in front of me. I nearly got hit in the gob by the guy’s tighty whities!

Nathan Roche - What EO said and maybe some Jonathan Richman.

Nots – I saw them as a 3 piece previously. They’re even better now. Can't wait for the record.

Spray Paint

Protomartyr

King Brothers – They took it to the streets, took it to the people. Literally. Crazy fun.

Hans Condor – After the official end Sunday afternoon, my brother and I opted for more live rock and roll at the Hi Tone. After the first two bands played, there was pretty much nobody there to witness the destruction that this band put forth – a guy from one of the opening bands, two girls (bands girlfriends?), two guys with beards + glasses, a photographer lady (you know who she is...pretty, tall, slender, shoulder length red hair in ringlets), plus…the King Brothers! I’ve never seen anybody play with more reckless abandon for a half dozen people. It was like being transported in time and space back to the Grande Ballroom in 1969 to find the MC5 had been transmogrified with all the energy condensed into this three piece. Wow, what a way to wrap things up!
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:07 pm | Edited by: ida slapter

What, you don't understand jet lag? Is a real thing.

Oh, I get it. But 3 days into your trip it's time to get on the new time. Australia is brutal, but suck it up.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:08 pm

Connections - should be huge. Also Deaf Wish should be huge. Connections mighta been the sleeper of the fest. .

I 100% agree. Purchased everything they had and I have wondered how the hell they had 3 fucking LPs out and I had not clue. Still scratching my head about that. GREAT BAND!
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:14 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Today is the first day my body hasn't ached since Gonerfest....I got lucky and had most of this week off and I legitimately needed the recovery time...funny thing is that I never got all that wasted....didn't do any sort of hard drugs or anything....at no point was I so wasted that I wouldn't risk driving home on a normal weekend in my town even though I wasn't driving. Somehow it still all amounted to the best Gonerfest yet....completely kicked my ass.

I guess the highlight for me was when Gizmos did "Give Me Back My Foreskin"...because it's not like that is one of their well known "hits" or anything. As far as I know, it was only ever put out on that one demos record...such an awesomely stupid great song......Also something I was thinking about is how back in the 90's reading about them in MRR they seemed like a bunch of goofy awkward 70's teen nerds....but now I guess styles have changed so much that they look like some cool happening dudes in those old pics....just weird that's all.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:18 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Also I liked how there wasn't any "big name" acts on the bill...the crowd was perfect....at GF 2010 I could have sworn some of those people were off duty cops or something. This year was a way better atmosphere in my opinion...pretty fucking perfect in every way.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 6:05 pm

Also Bim was in full showmanship effect that was like a serious ragtime show. I've seen him more than a few times Cleveland etc. and I've never seen Obnox on that much fire.
Posted: Oct 5, 2014 2:16 am

Missed the whole damn thing..hope the Beatles were good!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®