Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Crate amps.
Posted: Sep 26, 2014 1:30 am

?!! my experience is that they sound like shit... but last for ever/... drunk-o!
Posted: Sep 26, 2014 8:35 am

I must admit,
She smells like shit,
but look at the money I've saved
Posted: Sep 27, 2014 6:27 pm

i havent had any luck with them. fenders are king, and marshalls are decent too.
Posted: Sep 28, 2014 12:04 pm

the little ones are ok pieces of shit if you just want a practice amp to play quietly and have some amplifications.

If you spend more than $30 on a crate you should be publicly flogged.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:30 pm

I always liked their tone or lack there of...it's like a hollowed out squack....

I might compare them to the Sovereign acoustic guitars of guitar amps....you know who played Sovereign acoustic guitars? Poor people and I think Sid Barett maybe...

Anyway, some cool garage bands in the 90's had crate half stacks, deeerrr VeeDee maybe? The Blacks? Shit I don't know exactly...But I would get kind of excited if I saw a cool band using one.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:31 pm

It's like a really dull lifeless midrangey tone and so fucking gooooood!
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:39 pm

I had a 2x12 combo in the 90's I picked up for next to nothing ... Indestructible, loud & sounded great live (or so I thought ... Recordings from that era make me wanna barf) ...
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 5:30 pm

You can get a sound unique to crates. It's like a smooth thud. A lot of my favorite musicians played sovereigns. Because of the bracing and bad neck joints they have a similar tone, it's like a flat thud. I have always loved it. I wouldn't mind having a tiny crate practice amp to play around with. Nothing from the past 15 years just because I quit paying attention beyond that.
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 5:34 pm

I would call it's tone "plastic".
Posted: Oct 2, 2014 5:57 pm

People find it more desirable for amplifying acoustic guitars actually. That's why their acoustic amps are highly regarded. I might even use one of their regular amps on acoustic. It's got kind of a stiff woody ;-) tone.
Posted: Oct 4, 2014 5:56 pm

my brother is using a microbrute thru my bx100, sounds better than using an actual bass.
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 12:08 am

my first amp was a crate, and a HONDO bass. FUCK YES.

HONDO!
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 10:09 pm

Hondo bass???Google-ing it now.
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 10:12 pm

Posted: Oct 7, 2014 9:53 am

was a MONSTER. no tone!
Posted: Oct 7, 2014 11:22 pm

I had a Crate G-10 combo amp that my ma bought for me back when I was a greasy little teenager. The gain sounded nice, until the vol. nob was past nine o'clock. Then it wasn't as intense. Had a cool fuzz sound to it at low volume, but yeah, shitty amp. I
Posted: Oct 9, 2014 6:03 pm

my buddy had a 2x12 crate tube amp, one with a more classic look, rather than the grey felt or fuzz on the halfstacks people are thinking of. i don't know what the fuck it sounded like. i think i always it thought it didn't work properly, but was always assured it did.

my first amp was a peavey 112 bandit, 100w solid state. i fuckin loved that thing!!!
Posted: Oct 10, 2014 9:13 am

HONDO! My first Guitar was a Hondo Strat Rip off. H-76 was the make. I remember that because that's what I would tell people. "Yeah man, my parents bought me a Hondo H-76 guitar for my birthday. I think they had to order it from Japan."
Posted: Oct 10, 2014 7:24 pm

have a peavy rebel, will never sell it!! sovtektubes!!!!USSR !!
Posted: Oct 12, 2014 11:38 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®