Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What does a first time Goner-er need to know?
Posted: Sep 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Super f-ing excited about my first Gonerfest. Teach me, seasoned ones. What do I need to know to have a totally baller weekend in Memphis?
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 8:12 am

Day drinking. Don't do it!
It's really hard to avoid when there is $5 all you can drink beer at the Buccaneer afternoon show.
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 11:04 am

take a bath and wash off the funk, don't just cover it with water and say you are clean. people might thank you for it.
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Don't miss the Len Bright Combo.
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 11:39 pm

-generic Tum's
-aspirin
-Ensure(loosens the phlegm)
-generic Imodium
Posted: Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am

Plan your shitting
Posted: Sep 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Scope out friendly places to poop. For sure.
Posted: Sep 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Plan to
Eat
Poop
Drink Water
Sleep.

If you don't plan to do these things, you'll find yourself at another show without food or bathroom or water or sleep and you'll be fucked. Just do it... and you can make it.
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 1:38 pm

must go get a steak sandwich at jack pirtle's. get two... one to eat and one to shove down your pants for later.

also do not go to any after parties at the pyramid unless accompanied by Tyra Banks
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 1:18 am

bring a gun
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 9:50 am

pacing yourself is solid advice. there are afternoon shows, night shows & after hours.

don't be the shmuck who travels X number of hours to memphis & then goes to bed at 10pm.

also, at least a couple bands you've never heard of will end up being among your favorites when it's all over. so, think twice before skipping any bands during the day.
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 10:15 am

That last paragraph is probably the most important.
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 2:43 pm

(SPOKEN OUT LOUD IN A VALLEY GIRL ACCENT)
OK, so...A few years ago...Like, King Louie came running in to the old hi tone into the back area and had to shit. He like normal ran to the back bathroom that had since his last visit to memphis been off limits due to some "foul play" by a Reatard. He was jiggling the handle saying who's in there and Jonathan was like "it's locked". Louie is all like "WTF?! I gotta shit". I was like "LOL". They were all like, "go out to the other bathroom". Pouie was like, "Which one? Where?!!!" He then hauled ass outta there. It was funny...ok, like it seemed like I needed to share this now.
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 6:06 pm

"Pouie"! Ha!
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Gus's Fried Chicken makes a great hangover breakfast

pissed I can't make it over this year - have one for me Arm !
Posted: Sep 17, 2014 12:13 pm

you know it homes.... I'm thinking party at krystal burger drive thru errynight.
Posted: Sep 17, 2014 12:29 pm

tetanus shot only lasts 10 years
if you jump on any bed drunk you might smash into a wall
bring Band-Aids
(as others have said) tread lightly on the day drinking
Posted: Sep 17, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm thinking party at krystal burger drive thru errynight.

refer to all posts about pooping.
Posted: Sep 17, 2014 5:50 pm

I usually have no trouble pooping. I'm regular before and after meals and before and after sleep and before and after drinking fluids.
Posted: Sep 17, 2014 10:32 pm

if you have to sk, you're not a goner. not tnatg ivr been to a gonerferst

try to not die
Posted: Sep 18, 2014 8:01 pm

The day show at Murphys is the most fun to time/money ratio (although the $won't matter if you have the full pass). Not only two stages, but always great surprises! And I I can't tell you how much fun it is to see that many goners from all over in the daylight especially after they've been through Friday night. Bonus fun: watching cars go by with people looking over in various stages of "what the fuck?!"
Posted: Sep 19, 2014 10:44 am

-Make sure you get Cocaine on the first night before the other chuckle heads score and you're left snorting North Memphis dandruff.

-Dont drink tap beer from the Lamplighter unless you like the idea of becoming Roach Man.

-If you eat a shit ton of BBQ from Cozy Corner it is a proven fact you can drink all day and all night.

-Dont walk from the Hi-Tone to the Buccaneer at night unless you are well versed in the dealings of Street Urchins.

-Pick one night to get really fucking stoned so you don't talk too much and make everyone hate you
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 5:54 pm

What is Roach Man?
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 8:12 pm

it's like the end of your scoobie ....man
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Band-aids, ear plugs, aspirin, check. Good call on the day drinking advice, thanks for that.
Cozy,Gus's, noted, we're good. Anyone got any other food spots one would be remiss to not check out?
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Friday late lunch should be a Jack Pirtle's Steak Sandwich with gravy, cheese & pickles.
Take that to stop the shitting.
And it's delicious.
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 3:07 am

Get an official GFXI tour guide booklet and refer to it every 10 minutes because AD&DHD.
The times listed in the GFXI programme are not based on Southern Time but are closer to German Time so be punctual.
Wear a Cat In The Hat hat so your friends can spot you in a crowd.
Bring devil stix so that you can busk outside of the venues and Jack Stands will interview you for the internet.
Carry a scratch pad and sharpened mini golf pencil to jot down download codes and the new bands that you form.
Smile and be polite when somebody from the south says hi to you and just accept that people are nice.
Don't take pictures inside of the Stax Museum or you will be politely asked to stop that shit.
Alternate a bottle of Strawberry Quik or a Lil' Hug between cans of beer to stay full of vitamins and youthful vigor.
Put the extra biscuits from Bryants in a napkin and take them to the day show to share.
Don't do drugs in the bathrooms. Bathrooms are for pooping, jerking off, calling your mom and playing Candy Crush. Be courteous of people who have to go boomboom really bad.
Don't take yourself too seriously unless you have a publicist or you work for a content aggregator aggregating content.
Don't try to eat Gus's, Cozy Corner, Deja Vu, Payne's, and Soul Fish all in the same day and don't feel bad if you don't eat at every place everybody tells you to eat at.
Save room for a burger from Topps.
Be nice.
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Topps burger is a must!
Also don't wear nice shoes.
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Here's Program Guide! Still at the printer, but you can read this ONLINE NOW!

Browse Program Guide on Issu: http://issuu.com/gonerrecords/docs/gf11

Or Download here :

http://www.goner-records.com/gonerfest/GONERFEST%2011/GF11-FINAL%20copy.pdf
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Also don't wear nice shoes.

I would add comfortable but semi-disposable. You'll be on your feet all day and fluids and solids abound. Also per Gino Goon; "Get the glue off your shoes!"
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Bring devil stix so that you can busk outside of the venues and Jack Stands will show you some sweet, pro moves.
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 5:00 pm

This is my 8th Gonerfest in a row but I got fresh meat coming to town and he doesn't eat meat so Deja Vu will be destroyed daily. And those hushpuppies at Soul Fish. And that one Vietnamese place.

I could use some more vegetarian options too please!
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Quick Check! Saigon Lee!
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Doesn't Quik Chek have the CocaCola marinated pork? And hell yes.
Posted: Sep 23, 2014 8:32 am

re: vegetarian options - there is a vegan place, imagine vegan cafe, that is a few blocks east of goner records on young ave. tasty stuff, big menu.

i also like the small thai place around the corner from goner.
Posted: Sep 23, 2014 11:57 am

wear a black t-shirt with a band's name on it so you stand out from the crowd.
Posted: Sep 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks again, guys. Goner program = A+. See all you friendly faces day after tomorrow!
Posted: Sep 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Oops, posted this in the wrong thread yesterday...

My buddy Eric got shanghaid by friends for a surpise bachelor party (woken in the middle of last night and dragged to the airport - SF to Memphuss). Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. But if you see a 6'4" dood with an even bigger laugh, a beard and bald spot and/or SF Giants cap, slap him on the back and say congratulations. It's his first Gonerfest and he's real good people!
Posted: Oct 5, 2014 11:06 pm

Don't stare at the Cooper toad for long, you'll get mad at it!
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 12:04 am

I met the bachelor party dude! Or at least one of 'em!
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 5:29 pm

Awesome! I'll have to ask if that was him!
Posted: Oct 7, 2014 4:33 pm

Any festival pictures up anywhere? I've only seen the links posted on here and the Rubberneck thing. Some people were taking phone pictures nearly nonstop so I figured there would be a flood after it was all over.
Posted: Oct 7, 2014 11:43 pm

goner fest 12..bring haz mat suit..Gallgher and his Ebola watermelon!!!
Posted: Oct 8, 2014 8:23 am

People take a million pics at GF & hog up the front of the stages but I rarely see any photos after.
Posted: Oct 9, 2014 5:56 pm

the first thing you need to know is it's a Goner. not Goner=er. duh.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®