Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / House shows... the new venue?
Posted: Jul 4, 2014 10:46 pm

Discuss:
Posted: Jul 5, 2014 12:01 pm

can i fix myself a snack?
Posted: Jul 5, 2014 2:59 pm

I usually stay after the bands are done to help clean up, check the medicine cabinet for cheap meds, and to brush my teeth.
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 9:42 am

Do stores count? Jimmy Ohio and the Ultimate Lovers played an in-store at my shop that was pretty much a private party. Simple set-up, vocal mike to guitar amp, floor tom, snare. BYOB, and pass the hat. We all had more fun, and the band made better coin than playing bottom of 4-5 band bill.
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 1:12 pm

Hit or miss for me, enjoyed playing basement shows in front of the water softener.
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 1:37 pm

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 2:38 pm

I enjoy the BYOB part of it...that's about it.
Posted: Jul 9, 2014 4:22 pm

we played a house show in Memphis last year that was our most wild crowd ever. I thought for sure someone was gonna get hurt. No security...lots of party favors and said BYOB is quite killer
Posted: Jul 9, 2014 4:22 pm

playing one in lovely Bloomington, Indiana Sunday Aug 24 @514 s Washington 9pm

BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 10, 2014 11:16 am

House shows seem to be on the rise again in Bloomington, IN (I will probably be there Mark. Missed when LL played Magnetic South a while back b/c of work).
There used to be more house shows than bar shows in Bloomington, but a few got busted, people left town, etc. House show crowds here often take good care of the bands - money, food, place to stay.
Posted: Jul 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 4:12 pm

There was also the Quiet Nights ordinance that was passed in Bloomington a while back that stifled some shows I believe.

I miss those limestone basements. The cops showed up in the middle of our set one time. We stopped and they made an announcement about a car that was illegally parked. It didn't belong to anyone there so they left and we resumed rocking.
Posted: Jul 11, 2014 1:14 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I think last I checked there was only one bar/venue in Bloomington that would do shows....house shows make allot more sense in condensed college towns like Bloomington.
Posted: Jul 11, 2014 2:28 pm

house shows make allot more sense in condensed college towns like Bloomington.

Yeah. In this area (NJ), the underground house party scene is pretty well-developed in New Brunswick (Rutgers U.) and getting off the ground (so to speak) in Montclair (Montclair State U.)

NYC is another story entirely...
Posted: Jul 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Limestone Basements had some good songs.
Posted: Jul 13, 2014 8:18 pm

I lived in both New Brunswick, NJ (1995 - 2000) and Montclair, NJ (2002 - 2006). When I lived in NB, house shows were pretty common, coming and going in phases, but I never went to any in Montclair. I heard about the Meatlocker after I left (although that wasn't a house).
Posted: Jul 14, 2014 8:57 am

I think house shows are practically a tradition in New Brunswick, NJ...I just get that impression from reading the White Bread zine back in the 90's....you probably wouldn't remember it but it was a cool read back then.

Also they mostly had house shows in Olympia Washington back in the day...

In my city you might get away with having one or two house shows if youre lucky, but if you're inside city limits, you can count on cops to show up and punch you in the face. Even bars get hassled by the cops....it sucks when you are seeing a band at a bar and the cops shut it down....not to mention the negative element house shows attract around here....somepeople will have places in the industrial part of town and the cops still show up and shut it down. House shows are way more common place in Lexington ( a small college town)...
Posted: Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Part of it is the way my city tries to prevent underground bars....in most cities bars close at two and everyone goes to an underground bar in some retired cops basement or something.....here they let the bars stay open till 4 because they don't want the underground bars making so much money.....house shows get targeted quick around here.......basically the organized crime families that run government around here, don't want other new folks moving in and getting a piece of the pie, it's why they won't legalize gambling or pot around here.....the criminals in power don't want to deal with other crime families moving in like they encountered in the 80s....basically this state is for federaly sanctioned crooks, but I'm okay with it.
Posted: Jul 14, 2014 9:27 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh shit...the writer of White Bread is the senior editor of Pitchfork....wtf? I wonder if my old copies are worth anything? I'm all about pawning off some old indie crap....I gave away the first MakeUp seven inch last month...that singer was such a fucking little shit.
Posted: Jul 15, 2014 11:36 am

I heard about the Meatlocker after I left (although that wasn't a house).

there's a new spot called the batcave in a house not too far from Tierneys these days...
Posted: Sep 27, 2014 1:14 pm

i had shows in my house for years, best time of my life, got to see millions of bands i love. only had to ban a few people and didn't get too much shit from the cops.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®