Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 7:49 am

Anyone here into the band Slow? mid-80s Vancouver punk band that everyone here in Seattle says created grunge. I don't think it sounds like grunge, but I can see how seeing this band in 1986 could put some Seattle folks on a different path.

I am posting this is 2-fold. Some folks here might like this and I am on the hunt for their 7" (not the christmas one) if anyone has one collecting dust in their collection. I am willing to pay a decent price, but not the fuckhead price that is on discogs for $99 (when I am 99.9% sure that the same seller beat me out for it on ebay for around $30).

"I Broke the Circle", 7" 1985 on Zulu Records

Slow 'against the glass'

Side 1

Side 2

Video
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 9:08 am

Didn't Led Zepplin, the Stooges and Black Sabbath inspire Grunge. According to that queer movie singles. Gee, I must be so naive then.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 10:12 am

Here is a TV news story about they caused a riot at Expo 86.

Posted: Jan 15, 2014 10:57 am

I can certainly hear the proto-grunge in that single from 85. Something I like about this forum is people are often turning me onto old cool stuff that's new to me. Thanks for that. Now I want some of their stuff
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 12:01 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

They blatantly stole the Grunge sound from all of those old Australian bands, Celibate Rifles, Saints, Feedtime, Scientists, etc...
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 12:10 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

also I don't think it was as innocent as the Seattle bands being "influenced" by the Australian bands, as they have stated in interviews. Most all of those Seattle bands, with the exception of a few, were in dweeb hair metal bands before jumping on the bandwagon. It's more like David Geffen heard a contemporary sound, and they "instigated" a scene...pretty much bullshit, like so many other "scenes" in this country.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 12:23 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Hoodoo Gurus, Beasts of Burboun...How come Alice in Chains got more recognition? Basically whenever a real scene occurs, the corporate vultures swoop in to make a buck, and they aint looking for 'artists with integrity,' that's for damn sure. They want folks who will do what they are told, which is to shut up, hold a guitar, and watch the cash roll in.

So many famous bands that completely suck these days, name drop great underground bands as influences and sound nothing like them...it's fucking bullshit. Every band that has "made it" in American music has been a variation of 3 or 4 different played out archtypal sounds.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 1:08 pm

What are you talking about? You seriously have your years mixed...
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 1:10 pm

No one ever knows
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 3:24 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh really? Have you ever heard Celibate Rifles?

Problem is that most music fans are completely naive about the music industry...they don't even know what A&R people do...

Here read this wiki definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_and_repertoire

The music industry has been bamboozling the fucking retarded masses for generations now. It's not about good music, it's about getting those stupid teenagers and insecure wanna-be's disposable income.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Majority of shit most folks believe is pure hype bullshit fabrication....but the truth is that everything has to start somewhere and with only a few fluke exceptions, most people still haven't heard the real shit.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Yes, I have heard the celibate rifles, what is your point? Aussies were an influence or it was dweeb metal that was the influence? Is it possible that there were influences outside of Australia, say, canada for instance?
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 4:43 pm

BUT HAVE YOU HEARD THE CELIBATE RIFLES ON ANTI-PSYCHOTIC PILLS?!?!?!
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 6:26 pm | Edited by: ida slapter

Yes, I have heard of those bands. Mudhoney is way more influenced by The Milkshakes, Blue Cheer and Slow. Not sure what that has to do with the Hoodoo Gurus. Most folks didn't hear about the Beast of Bourbon until the late 80s, not the mid-80s.
The only (real) AU influence I see in Seattle (at that time) was Lubricated Goat and that is because they moved here.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 6:32 pm

What does this have to do with this little band that next to know one has ever heard of from Canada?

Problem is that most music fans are completely naive about the music industry...they don't even know what A&R people do... Here read this wiki definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_and_repertoireThe music industry has been bamboozling the fucking retarded masses for generations now. It's not about good music, it's about getting those stupid teenagers and insecure wanna-be's disposable income.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 7:35 pm

I've been seeing the Celibate Rifles shows for over 30 years now & they are probably one of my favourite bands to see live - Damien and Kent would probably beat the shit out of you if you suggested they had anything to do with Grunge
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 8:15 pm

That is not what I said... I even say at the start that I don't think they sound grunge. They are viewed as the band that came to town and changed the sound (and the look) of bands in Seattle. I didn't say they are the whole reason the Grunge existed.

I've been seeing the Celibate Rifles shows for over 30 years now & they are probably one of my favourite bands to see live - Damien and Kent would probably beat the shit out of you if you suggested they had anything to do with Grunge
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 8:44 pm

GOING OFF THE RAILS!!!!!!
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm guessing there are some missing posts?
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 9:11 pm

I was more thinking brett was replying to tb
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 9:35 pm

I was more thinking brett was replying to tb

I want to think that TB doesn't make everything not fun... I live my whole life trying to have fun, don't rain on it!

Brett and I are fine, we know each other in real life. we are 100% comfortable telling the other to go fuck yourself...
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Oh I didnt say anything about no fun, but I think hate and ridicule are fun.

I also think Damien and Kent are people in Celibate Rifles who didnt move to Seattle as opposed to Lubricated Goat who did.
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am

no fun

STOOOOOOOOGES!!!!!!! didn't just "invent" grunge but made a mockery of it 25 years before it existed. thank you SE Michigan.
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 11:17 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Listen dorks...Mudhoney were kind enough to play with Celibate Rifles on an Australian tour and that's usually how it goes....the one or two bands with an ounce of cred help out the few lesser known bands that started it all..but not very much.

Grunge was happening in Australia...it's were David Geffens folks took it from...there are all kinds of exceptions to the rule, but as a general fact they copped all that Grunge bullshit from Australia.

I'm not going to fight about it because I could give a shit and you guys are lifetime faggots...but don't say I didn't try to explain it to you.

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 11:37 am

that bands called God not Celibate Rifles
David Geffen didnt start Sub Pop
Your brain is even more broken than normal today
go lie down and try to keep things out of your butt so you dont get too excited
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Jesus tits, do you look at this messageboard every 5 minutes?...

Also, Sub Pop wasn't originaly a "grunge" label untill they got bought out by Sony....they had Fastbacks, Six Finger Satallite, and distroed Hang Man Records, so shut the fuck up nerd.

I'm so tired of your fucking bullshit....it's going on 20 years now.
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 12:01 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

One other thing, you might remember that the only Australian band that got big was Silverchair...because they were more recently formed in 1992 (more like 1995), and they unabashedly waved the "grunge" flag, they were also largely derivative of Nirvana, which were the main grunge "franchise" at that time and still to this day.

Once corporations establish a franchise they have to defend that franchise, so they aren't going to go advertising all of these better bands that inovated a sound they stole.

Now fuck off Mark Beef.
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Here have some Celibate Rifles then...fucking go wash your tits.

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Something else worth mentioning in this context, is how David Geffen very well may have instigated the whole cultural shift from GNR hair metal to Nirvana grunge....they were both Geffen recording artists, and the rumor has alway persisted that Geffen may have been tired of Axl rose throwing around the word "faggot" and making other stupid homophobic statements, since Geffen is gay.
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 3:20 pm

One other thing, you might remember that the only Australian band that got big was Silverchair...

oh man youre so right

Nobodys ever heard of bands like AC/DC, Air Supply, the Bee Gees, INXS, Little River Band, Men at Work, Midnight Oil, or the Saints
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Something else worth mentioning in this context

I knew you'd get to that....
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm

At the very least try to establish a coherent time line tigerblinds. At least then your incorrect assertion could at least sound stupid. Not crazy and stupid.
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Grunge = Controversial, even now.

Maybe I missed it, but can we talk about Tad?
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Tad Everett wasnt from Seattle but Indiana initially. David Geffen moved him there after his success with Medical Center which everyone knows is a rip off of Grey's Anatomy which is itself a ripoff of Emergency.

He didnt even know how to play guitar until Trapper John MD showed him how and he stole Pig Champion's soul in a voodoo ritual in 1992
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 7:01 pm

In the outback?
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm

everyone knows the grunge restaurant is starbucks
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Geffen instigated the cultural shift from coffee to the bloomin' onion in order to repay the Aussies
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 8:50 pm

You all must be deaf! I totally agree with TB that SLOW stole their sound from the greatest aussie grunge band, Cold Chisel. You can totes hear whole riffs from 'Khe Sanh' in 'Against The Glass'. I know, right?!
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 9:08 am

a couple summers ago i painted a house owned by sven thorveldsen, father of a member of SLOW who was arrested at Expo '86 for mooning the audience from stage. i was taking a crap in the house and i suddenly smelled weed, then a bleary eyed sven came downstairs coughing. dont think he knew i was there. anyway, havent even heard the band but they seem to be kinda legendary in these parts (vancouver, duh).
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 9:09 am

the kid was arrested, not sven.

hm. maybe its rude of not cool to use real names, i just really like that particular one. the V's, mainly.
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 10:56 am

get to the bottim of this, nickg. go back to sven's house and find out if his son had a fixation with Australia. bribe him with weed if you must
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 11:19 am

Did I say that Slow was original?
Did I say that they hadn't been influenced by other bands?
There hasn't been an original cord progression since 1969.
So nothing is original.
With that said, this board is a great place when it's allowed to be fun.
It sucks when someone feels the need to pull down their pants and take a crap on *everything* fun.
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 11:46 am

original cord progression

WRONG, pants breath!

http://www.betabrand.com/collections/cordarounds.html
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 11:55 am

I dont know who anyone's typing at anymore so I will continue to type to myself and lucky you gets to read it

ps pulling my pants down and crapping on stuff is the epitome of fun as long as you didnt eat a habanero
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Listened to the songs. This thread was more entertaining than that shit.
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Where do I start? Since I have 5 minutes I'm gonna start from the top....

"Nobodys ever heard of bands like AC/DC, Air Supply, the Bee Gees, INXS, Little River Band, Men at Work, Midnight Oil, or the Saints" I don't recall any of these bands riding the "Grunge" wave....also nobody is saying that Seattle didn't have an awesome music scene, but allot of it was in the mold of MELVINS...I can never decide if they sound more like "Grunge" or Aerosmith and KISS and SLAYER or Stoner Rock or DOOM or whatever the fuck who gives a shit?

TAD were great, Fastbacks were great, Fall-Outs were great, Sub Pop was great, Estrus was great....however GRUNGE was bullshit derived from what was happening in Australia in the decade prior.

I'm done with this thread....I've learned countless times on this messageboard that you can't fix stupid....it could be that I'm stupid, it's not, but I'm willing to humor the suggestion....but so what? You can't fix stupid...I can't fix some of you dolts and you can't fix me...so all you usual shits can just fuck off already....agree to disagree?
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm done with this thread

if only that was truly the case
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 4:41 pm

^ like
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 4:49 pm

I think the person that single handedly wrecks every fucking thread on this board called me stupid... Wow!
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm

This is a VG plus to FINE thread.
Some very faint scratches but no pops or skips.
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm

A++++
WILL TROOL AGIN!!1
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Grunge lives! and kills:

...He was killed in a dispute with a younger climber he had mentored for about two decades and that the weapon was a claw hammer. The U.S. attorney's office charged David DiPaolo, 31, of Bristow, Va., with manslaughter after his arrest Jan.
Pictures that have surfaced of DiPaolo show long scraggly hair and a rough beard. His dress style could be described as grunge, and he is known for wearing mismatched shoes.
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 7:02 pm

None of you stupids no what I'm talking about!!?!
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 7:22 pm

None of you stupids no what I'm talking about!!?!
Bray-zee!?
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Yes, Andre Ballz, now we are getting somewhere
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®