Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / It was 10 yrs ago....
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 1:51 am

October of 2003, Oblivians- Cheater Slicks, Halloween weekend at the old Hi Tone. 1st time in Memphis fer me, Hoppe and I in a 11 hour road trip in my beloved chevy s-10! good times! saw Final Solutions as well the next day i think..? 10 f'ing yrs ago! wtf?
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

WTF?
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Eric, what year did you play Garage Shock? I've been having a hard time sorting that out in my brain. Was it '93?
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 12:42 pm

i launched vom in xtine's hair at the hotel before the show even started. i had alcohol poisoning the next day and still made it to the final solutions / death ray / lost sounds show.
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I heard you and H0pp3 went to Applebees for a cool refreshing draft Budweiser after that long trip. Wish they had Buuuuusssshhhhhh on tap for you.
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 11:45 pm

I remember Halloween!
Posted: Oct 12, 2013 12:20 am

yeah, we didnt know where to go in memphis, so we went to applebee's and a "traditional" memphis meal... miller high life and fries with bbq sauce!! thanks miss waitress lady for a great first impression of southern soul food! then i lost my bbq virginity at Topps the next day the one near the bucc, where there were more cockroaches than customers. Somehow we got hooked up with Ian from black lips with like 8 michigan people and ended up at either zac or erics place then Ian Black Lip ditched us and left us hangin with eric and zac and final sltion guys watchin basketball?? it was cool, cuz i think i bought a penetrators cd offa eric.. cool!
Posted: Oct 12, 2013 5:00 am

aw, my first ('n only) time in memphis was about 15 years ago. passing through with my girlfriend at the time, randomly met Joe Danger at some grocery store he worked at and he offered to let us stay as long as we wanted at the old karate studio he lived at with some of the His Hero Is Gone doods. bummed around town. went to a couple parties. got the boot from the burger shack where all the kids would scam "veggie sandwiches" (aka, buying a plain bun for 25-cents and stuffing it with cheese and veggies from the salad bar). went to Graceland. had a blast. everyone was so nice and hospitable. can't believe it was so long ago! gotta get back there sometime soon...
Posted: Oct 12, 2013 10:30 am

Is Hoppe from Ohio? Dude does not get talked about enough. Perfect record store guy. amazing. I had a kid having major heart surgery at Labanor. I stayed in Memphis for a few weeks and went by Goner often to break up all the drama. He recommended and sold me records like Bo Diddley and Crypt's Jungle Exotica, just stuff to keep me up, the perfect records to offset all the BS going on. My kid is fine. Many thanks to that dude for feeling out the situation and doing a great job.
Posted: Oct 12, 2013 11:13 am

yeah, we didnt know where to go in memphis, so we went to applebee's and a "traditional" memphis meal... miller high life and fries with bbq sauce!! thanks miss waitress lady for a great first impression of southern soul food! then i lost my bbq virginity at Topps the next day the one near the bucc, where there were more cockroaches than customers.

this is really sad! had you never been to the Goner Records website?!?! i seem to remember learning of payne's and cozy corner and gus's chicken right here!

cant believe that show was 10 years ago...i remember rolling into town around noon after driving (riding) all night from milwaukee, arriving at LEGBA records and being stoked to find i knew or at least recognized everyone around. there had to be like 50 or 100 people there. its hard to estimate crowds in a small space. hm. good weekend. funny snapshots in my mind, most of them in appropriate for public message boards.
Posted: Oct 12, 2013 3:18 pm

oh damn i was forced to eat at Applebee's before the show too -- my dad drove me into Memphis and against my protests that's where he was taking me for a free meal (he preferred his food blaand at that point) i did raid his liquor cabinet before the trip though and got enough Maker's Mark to make Bazooka Joe spew before the show even started!

oblivians! cheeter slicks! final solutions! lost sounds! american death ray! what a fucking rocker weekend
Posted: Oct 14, 2013 12:28 pm

I was there...Joe and Christine are the nicest people in person...Joe farts allot.
Posted: Oct 14, 2013 10:29 pm

2003, really? coulda swore it was 2004. we had tickets and everything but our car broke down and several other things happened that prevented us from going.
Posted: Oct 21, 2013 12:05 pm

The Chiefs were 8-0 that weekend.
Posted: Oct 21, 2013 2:11 pm

final solutions! lost sounds! american death ray!

Oh yeah!
Posted: Oct 21, 2013 4:11 pm

I stood by the GIANT FAN bitching all night. that show was hot!!!

that was right before I moved to LA...
Posted: Nov 3, 2013 4:10 pm

I was gifted a t-shirt from that night that I put in a pile of "retired" shirts that I never intended to wear again. I was looking for that pile of shirts this summer & I couldn't find it for the life of me. Very upsetting. Really need to find it.
Posted: Nov 6, 2013 3:39 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

^ fo' shizzle.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®