Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Merch purchase survey
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 4:58 pm

Would you buy more merch if you could use a credit or debit card at the merch table?

Why or why not?
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 5:43 pm

Yes.

There have been plenty of times where I've wanted to buy stuff but was either short on cash or needed to save my cash for a cab ride home or to pay for drinks or whatever. Usually I don't plan to buy merch ahead of time so it's generally an impulse thing and I think being able to use plastic would sweeten the deal considerably... but I also understand it's probably a huge pain in the ass for the band to deal with.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 5:52 pm

On the other hand, often my debit card is behind the bar because i've got a tab open, which would be a hinderance. So, I dunno.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 6:01 pm

Agree with above. I always bring some cash for merch but i would buy more and be more impulsive. Carrying cash has become a hassle.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 11:37 pm

Those Square readers (and their ilk) seem to be awesome for merch table action.
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 7:26 am

I just ordered a card reader for my phone, so we will definitely be accepting credit cards for merch at GF10. Hell, I'll act as an intermediary for other bands wishing to accept plastic. For a small fee of course...
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 10:26 am

i had someone not buy from me at a a record fair because i didn't have a card reader. there ya go.

you could also just have the person paypal the money via smartphone while you're there together, but it obviously takes a bit longer, and less people have smart phones than bank cards. i payapl'd DREKKA when he was here for one of his records.
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 11:53 pm

Just got the Square Reader for my job. It is amazing. We used it at our garage sale! When the OBN III's came through Portland, I wanted records but was low on cash. Because they had a Square, I bought a copy of every record they had...instead of just one 7". They were stoked, and so am I. SO THERE YA GO...I see no reason NOT to get one if you sell merch, or puppies, or weed, or whatever.
Posted: Aug 4, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm actually going to be the dissenting voice and say that a lack of credit card opportunities doesn't deter me from buying merch at shows at all... I generally know if I'm heading to a show where I plan to buy an LP or a shirt and bring an extra Jackson accordingly. If I get bowled over by some new band and am lacking cash, I'll happily hit an ATM. Try to keep those dollar bills outta the man's credit card processing fee grubbing hands.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 12:11 pm | Edited by: leftpeg

We used it at our garage sale!
Great idea.

While I'm sure cash is always welcome for many reasons. One major reason I could see accepting plastic being great for bands on tour is that it probably helps them spend less of their hard earned cash on impulsive tour necessities like strippers, shots of top shelf liquor, etc. And you can also be a bit more transparent in your accounting at the end of the day.

And to answer the question, yes, I would buy more merch if this were an option.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®