Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / wrestlin' sneakers?
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 9:46 am

I remember that in Memphis public schools in the 80's some kids wore sneakers with no arch. Like high tops that laced up and they were brand names. Like Nike. Mostly hoods wore them. I was told they were for wrestling though most of the dudes wearing them would never go out for the wrestling team. Anyone remember these? Was this a national fad?
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:04 am

I think Mr. T wore those allot....I think it was a NYC street culture thing.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:05 am

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:18 am

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 12:36 pm

Still make 'em. A little more modern-y, but some aren't bad.

http://www.eastbay.com/Wrestling/Shoes/_-_/N-1e8Zne
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 12:43 pm

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 12:58 pm

I remember kids in my grade school in the '80s wearing them. I think it was the bad kids, or at least non-atheletes. But I grew up in NJ not TN.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 1:25 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

They are so butt ugly, I could see some little shits wearing those and thinking they are so cool...I bet the boys all had a single earing also.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 2:44 pm

i remember 'em from the 80s. tried on a pair at a shoe store because i thought they looked cool but they were totally stevie ray vaughn (no sole/no soul).
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 3:47 pm

I remember in my school some dudes would wear em, and they too were never wrestlers but it was mostly Zubaz for guys and Jordache for gals.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 4:49 pm

They were probably Asics. They were just about the only wrestling show manufacturer at the time.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 4:54 pm | Edited by: The Troll

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:38 pm

It was the Filipino and Vietnamese kids wore 'em at my school in NorCal in the mid 80's.

They also wore parachute pants,had crazy pompadour mullets, were awesome pop/lock/breakers and
the only sport they were into was badminton.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 7:59 am

Those Asics wrestling shoes were 70's and Handsome Dick sported those...but then Adidas and Nike started making them (apparently) and Mr. T wore those once or twice that I can remember when he wasn't wearing boots or chucks.....

Stupid asses with their wrestling shoes and Jim McMahon spiked hair/single earings....I don't know football but I know Jim McMahon was a douche...he should have got paralyzed and Spuds MacKenzie bit off a wilted raisin testicle. Some of those shits had fucking rat tails, I'd like to go back in time and been their 11th grade history teacher and beat the shit out of them with a paddle with drills bore in it and "peacekeeper" engraved on the handle.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 8:05 am

Mr.T always had those signature basketball socks also...remember?
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 9:49 am | Edited by: skank police

awesome pop/lock/breakers and the only sport they were into was badminton.

Pop n' lock Breakin' is hella a sport, mang!

Parachute pants > Zubaz

Wrestling shoes > puffy white Reeboks

How the fuck did this happen in 2004?
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 11:02 am

I remember David Letterman used to wear 'em back in the early days on Late Night. Seemed very cool at the time!
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 11:31 am

Good news, Zubaz are BACK!

Last Saturday night, guys in cuffed Hawaiian shirts and mesh snapbacks got friendly with girls in denim jumpers and Zubaz-like pants in tropical prints.

in swingin' Rockaway Beach, no less

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/fashion/playland-motel.html?ref=fash ion&_r=0
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 12:03 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

check 'em out at 00:30....pink.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 12:06 pm

I was diggin Kangaroos at this time...with a pocket for my lunch money.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 1:30 pm

Asics

Those are super cool!
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 1:53 pm

They worked as surprisingly good rock climbing shoes until I saved up for my first pair. They sucked for almost anything else off of the mat, but I'm not surprised suburban proles with a fever for Chess King and Chams thought they looked cool.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 2:34 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 3:36 pm

I had some black Asics. I actually had them for my brief two seasons of high school wrestling. I think I tried wearing them for a while as street shoes, but the thin soles weren't particularly conducive to tromping around in.
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 10:37 pm

All the thrash/hardcore crossover dudes wore them. Yeah, it was national in the mid-late 80s.
Posted: Aug 4, 2013 8:03 am

All the thrash/hardcore crossover dudes wore them. Yeah, it was national in the mid-late 80s.

That is exactly the style of dude that wore them in the midwest along with tight jeans, jean jacket with the arms cut off over black leather motorcycle jacket, band t-shirt, long hair (ala slayer) etc.
Posted: Aug 4, 2013 2:50 pm

Here's Dave demonstrating how wrestling shoes will keep you from getting your ass kicked.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes Ida. Those are exactly the dudes who wore them in Memphis.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 9:40 pm

I haven't wrestled any, but I have slow tortured them before by putting them in the dryer.
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 8:54 am

thrash/hardcore crossover dudes? These are the greasy one earing Jim McMahon fucks who used to give me wedgies on the bus everyday in the third grade...they were in the 11th grade and lived in a junk yard....I'd like to go back to that little redneck town and kick their asses now.
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 5:06 pm

That is exactly the style of dude that wore them in the midwest along with tight jeans, jean jacket with the arms cut off over black leather motorcycle jacket, band t-shirt, long hair (ala slayer) etc.

All the "metalheads" in Northern Virginia wore those in the mid-80's. The dudes that liked all the hair bands like Poison, RATT, but also Judas Priest, Scorpions, etc.
All the dudes that called you a fag and hated punk and the music you listened to - until they heard you listening to Cro-Mags or Crumbsuckers.....then it was like, "Dude!"
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 7:20 pm

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 9:19 am

Wow, i have exactly the opposite experience. In my midwestern high school the hessian / burnout guys and the punks *had* to hang out together for fear of getting bullied and or jumped by the scary-ass jocks dudes. I can't even tell you how many times I had scary kids yell "hey, DEVO what's with the hair" in 1985 out their car windows. You didn't walk alone, I will tell you that.
Every punk kid I knew went to see Metallica in 1986 at the local amusement park or listened to Venom, slayer etc. I also knew scary metal dudes that went to punk shows and no one fucked with them.
No one in the midwest said "hesher" that is a bay area term.
Posted: Aug 8, 2013 11:08 pm

hessian / burnout guys and the punks *had* to hang out together for fear of getting bullied and or jumped by the scary-ass jocks dudes.

My experience exactly...we also felt rather threatened by the FFA fuckers in their giant belt buckles and tight wranglers lookin all Chris Penn a la "Footloose". Plus jocks were preppies in my mind... but so were some of the closeted gay boys ("Pretty in Pink"?).
I'm confused and ashamed to say, I was unaware if ANYone was wearing wrestling booties...besides wrestlers. Weird.
Posted: Aug 9, 2013 9:26 am

but so were some of the closeted gay boys ("Pretty in Pink"?)

You mean like Judd Nelson in Breakfast Club?
Posted: Aug 9, 2013 10:49 am

This occurred in Alaska in the late 80's, but Alaska was traditionally 15 years behind on most fashion trends, tho notably cutting edge on hesher looks. So, I must either deem this a mid-70's fashion statement or totally hesher.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®