Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Big Star Documentary
Posted: Jun 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Who has seen this yet? I so want to see this.
Posted: Jul 21, 2013 6:08 pm

I saw it yesterday and really liked it. I thought they did a great job on Memphis music and history, a lot of which I was unfamiliar with. Lots of great footage. A little uneven on the band stuff, but thoroughly enjoyable.
Posted: Jul 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Anyone know when it will be available on DVD? I've missed a few Midwest screenings and apparently it was playing the entire week I was in NYC and I totally missed it. It looks like it's available on iTunes but I'd rather have the real thing...
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 1:20 am | Edited by: skank police

Just got home from seeing it!
Nice job. Tied up all my questions and loose ends, tugged at the heart strings, and made me real grateful I got a job at a record store as a 21 year old hesher/garage rocker. I had a stick up my ass about anything the indie-rock and college radio crowd loved, and if I hadn't been forced to listen to Big Star (and so many other "nice" things) all the time, they might not have penetrated my heart and psyche as soon as they did. Someone in the movie said, "their music was personal". Too true, I bet I've listened to Big Star alone, as in by myself, more than any other band or artist... probably.
Also, I think the movie has a bigger impact on the big screen...if you can get to it...GO!
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 8:03 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

First Chilton record I ever got was Cubist Blues at Best Buy when it came out...it was pretty cool but kind of challenging for a teenager. Then I got Like Flies on Sherbert when I was around 20 probbably, blew my mind as a Gories lover.....when I finaly got around to Big Star I was already well aware that they were the cool guy's Led Zeppelin...then I warmed up to them.

I realy want to see this doc, but I'm typicaly not one to rush out and see a movie. Hopefully one day soon....I'd say there are enough Big Star fans that the odds are good.

Boxtops were in my parents collection but that doesn't count.

They made TGIFridays cool!
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 10:18 am

I watched it last week. I thought it was really good considering the songwriters are dead.
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 10:47 am | Edited by: Adam K

Not a big fan of Big Star (Like Flies on Sherbet for me), but I really enjoyed the Ross Johnson stories and Cramps footage.
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 10:54 am

Oh yeah, if you're like me and wanted to see the rest of Eggleston's Stranded in Canton after seeing this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1eDzz5fKio&feature=mv_sr
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 2:30 pm

What about the Teenage Fanclub interviews?
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 2:40 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

They mention The Posies, Jeff Buckley, Replacements, London Suede?
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

My buddy from college wrote and directed it. He was a typical college radio indie rock nerd. Glad that people seem to be liking it. I'm waiting for it to come to New Orleans to see it.
Posted: Jul 23, 2013 9:11 am

Oh nice...but if there is no interviews with Cheap Trick or the cast from That 70's Show, I'm going to be miffed!
Posted: Jul 23, 2013 1:47 pm

When in Memphis, visit Mortimer's. Chris Bell's parents restaurant
Posted: Jul 23, 2013 2:17 pm

if there is no interviews with Cheap Trick or the cast from That 70's Show, I'm going to be miffed!

Oh dontchu fret none CF are in there talkin'.

I wanna know why in the first seasons of that 70's show they had the Big Star version of not only "In the street" but "Thirteen" as well and dropped all that for a Cheap Trick cover. They didnt want to pay royalties?
Posted: Jul 23, 2013 4:19 pm

its a good documentary given the lack of archival and interview footage of the songwriters, but its not as great as some people are saying, kind of like the band itself. the last half hour or so could have been cut out completely in my opinion.
Posted: Jul 23, 2013 7:08 pm

the last half hour or so could have been cut out completely in my opinion.
That's the kind of the unevenness I was alluding to. It sort of fizzled out. I was more digging the whole Memphis recording scene thing. Like the whole John King doing that Rock Writers convention - that was great to learn about. I still enjoyed it though.

If you can't catch it at the theater, I know that Comcast has it OnDemand (at least, in my area) right now.
Posted: Jul 23, 2013 7:52 pm

i watched it on itunes
Posted: Jul 24, 2013 10:03 am

No, That 70's Show paid royalties...Chilton got a modest check everytime that show aired which added up to something significant.

Big Star were a very important band....but I think rock journalism is complete dog shit at this point. I'm in revolt; when it comes to "important" bands I'll check back in 15 years and see if anyone still really gives a shit.
Posted: Jul 24, 2013 10:16 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

You know, in other words I know why I like Big Star and why they were important in the musical tradition that I like, but I'm not interested in hearing why some dumb shit at Pitchfork is all into them...I'm sure I'll hear about it from some wetback down the line anyway.
Posted: Jul 24, 2013 11:46 am

No, That 70's Show paid royalties...Chilton got a modest check everytime that show aired which added up to something significant.

In at least one interview he referred to it as "That $70 Song."
Posted: Jul 24, 2013 12:35 pm

It's a good song.
Posted: Jul 24, 2013 6:54 pm

"Thirteen" is my favorite of theirs. It's up there for me with "Sleepwalk" by Santo and Johnny and "Crying" by Roy Orbison as songs that will always make me stop what I'm doing whenever I hear them.
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 8:19 am

O, Dana is my favorite I think.
Posted: Jul 26, 2013 2:23 am

I saw it this last week and liked it, but the long part with one after another (so called) music critic fawning over the band made me want to hate the band just to distance myself from those turkeys.
Posted: Jul 26, 2013 9:58 am

oh jeez. That's what I was afraid of.
Posted: Jul 31, 2013 12:14 pm

Saw it last night. It was great.

Disagree that the last 30 minutes were unnecessary. The rediscovery, or I guess more aptly, the discovery of the band in the 80s and 90s is essential to the story of Big Star. Kind of what separates the movie from a straight rock documnetary to something bigger.
Posted: Jul 31, 2013 9:04 pm

It IS good, informative, relevant. Who cares if the guy from the Flamig Lips is in it? So are Mary Lindsey Dickinson (my new favorite human!), Tav Falco and Ross Johnson. All relevant. If you must deprecate, TB, maybe at least SEE the shit first.

The rediscovery, or I guess more aptly, the discovery of the band in the 80s and 90s is essential to the story of Big Star. Kind of what separates the movie from a straight rock documnetary to something bigger.

Yes. This.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 6:48 am

I wanna see it just for the Ross Johnson parts. Can Mr Johnson be the new go to talking head aka Rollins in docs about music from now on. Hell docs about board games and petting zoos too.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 7:37 pm

Watched it on On Demand the other night - really dug it. The talking head parts really didn't annoy me at all. I'll admit it - some of the Chris Bell stuff made me tear up. But I'm a pussy, so there.
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 8:13 pm

I'll admit it - some of the Chris Bell stuff made me tear up. But I'm a pussy, so there.

Make that two of us!
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, watched it twice last week (j9 fell asleep the 1st run through) and it was good and sad. Had these random thoughts:

All Dickinson (Jim & Mary Louise) parts are great. All of the Dickinson clan are great.

Ross Johnson is on point.

Shot of Metal Mike at rock writer's convention gets used twice!

Mitch Easter & Chris Stamey win for super-fans. Very cool, funny stories.

The 1970 record is not even mentioned (though it's pictured.) This record kinda fucks up the whole "Alex gets bummed out about Big Star failing and just wanting to goof off in the studio afterwards" narrative, 'cause he's doing that pre-Big Star. "Sugar, Sugar" is messed up!

As far as I can tell, and I may be wrong, but there is no Chilton family involement at all. Ex girlfriends, wife, friends, nothing. Which fits into Alex's attitude about Big Star. Not interesting any more. Unless there's $$$ in it... ? He seems to be saying, no, I don't care about Big Star, and I don't care about your movie.

I remember when Big Star played the first time since the 70s (I think) at the New Daisy. Kevin Kinney played for free. Chilton brought up the Royal Pendletons to open and paid them out of Big Star money. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome show. I was so proud of the Pendletons.

Chris Bell dies, and it's sad. The scene with his brother & sister is a very real moment, a very telling and true moment of how your "straight" family sees your complete involvement in music as a waste.

Andy Hummel dies, it's sad.

Alex Chilton dies, it's time for a Big Star show.

The Civil War, err, Big Star re-enactments didn't really bother me, except Micheal Stipe sounds really bad. Love Norman Blake. What is Hot Chip?

Alex is a very, very good singer.

Eggleston is fantastic.

Tav Falco steals the show.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 2:33 am

As far as I can tell, and I may be wrong, but there is no Chilton family involement at all. Ex girlfriends, wife, friends, nothing. Which fits into Alex's attitude about Big Star. Not interesting any more. Unless there's $$$ in it... ? He seems to be saying, no, I don't care about Big Star, and I don't care about your movie.

I heard an interview with the director this week. He said he talked with Alex quite a bit while making the film, but that he wouldn't allow himself to be filmed.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 5:09 pm

Interesting.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®