Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hey Goners!
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Posted: Apr 19, 2013 12:08 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Funny seeing an HDR pic of The Oblivians...the new millenium can begin now.
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 1:40 pm

congrats, dudes! it's kinda like you're important now.
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm

I hope they all get rich. And also stop in Kentucky when touring for the new album.
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm

is that a painting of them? or a still from a video game cutscene. TOUR THIS a new FPS/RPG coming out on PS3 and XBox360 June 4th.
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 6:50 pm

i'm gay!
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Sounds like Reigning Sound
Posted: Apr 20, 2013 1:06 am

killer drum sound but it doesnt really sound like an oblivians song to me, i think maybe gregs guitar and singing style has matured too much to go back to basics. maybe they dont want to go back to basics, i dont know. not going to make a judgement based on this one song, honestly i just wish this fucking thing would come out already so i could get a copy on vinyl...
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 4:25 am

thing is....listen to soul food and 9 songs back to back...the oblivians got lots of sounds. havent listened to this song yet, too late and i got a sleeping lady right behind me. i bet its better than the new sabbath song, which i like.
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 4:29 am

Sounds like Reigning Sound

i sort of thought this would be the case, and i get what monsieur dawgs is saying...but i am interested in hearing the eric songs! i bet they dont sound like RS.

also, while i'm awake and typing, one of my favorite eric songs EVER is the dutch masterspiece "yer doin it too hard." only heard it once in my life, in chicago, but holy shit. think i even drunkenly tried to tell eric it was the best i ever saw him sing.

i am a retard.
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 4:30 am

oh, shit, i also gotta say that i absolutely love RS. reading my last post makes it seem like i dont. or does it? who cares.
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Doin it too hard is a Doug Sahm cover sort-of. Always fun to play
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 3:43 pm

listening to the song again i have decided that i like it. also really like the relatively recent track "oblivion".
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 7:17 pm

It's a great song. I'm into it. I'm excited to listen to the whole thing. People might hate on it if it doesn't sound like Soul Food, but Play Nine Songs,... was a big departure also and it's my favorite.
Posted: Apr 22, 2013 7:58 am

Please don't think my panties would be in a wad either way but wouldn't an RS song have organ and bass? And be played by an entirely different group of people resulting in a completely different dynamic? What makes an Olbivians song is not song structure or content, it is the dynamic the three of us have when we play together. Like it or lump it, It is an Oblivians song. Eric's songs are some of the best! Can't wait for everyone to hear'em.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 12:38 am

while that may be true, its also true that stylistically, this song in particular sounds more like reigning sound than the classic, stripped down oblivians sound. compulsive gamblers proved you guys could do pretty much whatever you wanted to musically in a rock n roll band, i always assumed oblivians were consciously self imposing barriers and keeping things simple on purpose.

i figured your logic would be that the three of you ARE the oblivians, so no matter what you play, it is, of course, going to sound like the oblivians. that is undoubtedly true, but i think its also true that this track, at least, is not what most people would think of as the oblivians sound, apart from the drums and lack of bass. it sounds much more like something you would have written after that band broke up, which also isnt surprising, since thats exactly what it is.

no argument here, just saying i think youre both right. it is an oblivians song, but to many people, it probably does sound more like something you would have written for a band like reigning sound, regardless of instrumentation or whoever is playing on it. to me, it doesnt sound like you were trying to write an oblivians song, it sounds like you wrote a greg song and let them add their own style to it, and i dont have a problem with that because i enjoy your songwriting and their style.

i am looking forward to hearing all the songs by all three of you! hopefully jack is getting back to basics with some of his songwriting. expecting eric to come up with some monster riffs as always.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 5:33 am

Well written post by Officer Brad. I think that's one of the cool things about them, the song writing is really different. You can always tell who wrote a specific song, but I think they all add something to the tracks. I'm just glad these guys are making music together.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 6:44 am

Relying on our dynamic is kind of the only way to approach something like this. If we sat down and consciously tried to write songs that mimicked things we wrote 15 years ago it would be a classic pitfall. I guess the best way to think of it is that it's an Oblivians album from 2013 not 1996. If the band had stayed together we would have branched as songwriters just as we have apart. That said, this song is very simple and I generally reserve all songs with lyrics about sniffing glue for the Oblivians.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 7:09 am

i played it for amber, she said, in this order -

sneaky pinks, oblivians, greg oblivian?

then she asked "is any of that right?"

yeah, i responded, right on...

i want the goddamn album already!!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:13 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

is that a painting of them? or a still from a video game cutscene. TOUR THIS a new FPS/RPG coming out on PS3 and XBox360 June 4th.

It's HDR photography, I have done it a few times, I plan on doing more...I can do it better than whoever did this photograph if I have a day or two to brush up...but I still love this photograph. Notice the white halo around their bodies?

As far as the sound of that song, I think it sounds like an Oblivians song. It's got Ramones chords and some Thunders riffing...thoughtful crude punk topics. It reminds me of all kinds of classic Oblivs songs.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:19 am

Alot of Oblivians songs Greg sounds more like Bob Cat Goldthwait, I think that was a David Yow influence, that was happening back then...people now don't get it as much so he probbably isn't as comfortable singing that way, but it is called maturing, I don't realy miss it when I consider how he sounds now...to me it's still there and I like the reminders ...but you can still hear it in his voice...
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:22 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

But yeah, HDR is trendy with photographers, everything in Rolling Stone has been like that for 15 years now.

That halo is actually one of the draw backs to it...it's from like their bodies moving a little and the program having to compensate for the movement...because it's actually a layering of several different exposures...usualy three.

I would have cropped the fuck out of this photograph too...gotten way tighter...I read magazines and just critique the photographs...but there is alot of busy unimportant shit in that photograph...but I love the Oblivians being in that Rolling Stone style photograph.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Okay to get us off topic on something no one else cares about:

I just looked up that photographer...she seems cool...probably a personal friend or something.

But I actually think HDR is kind of bull honkey....I think magazines like Rolling Stones employ it because it's a little different, a little fancier, and represents status and prestige...I mean basically bullshit.

I just like it because I feel it gives me alot of control over things, and I'm no computer wiz...also you can get some beautiful shots with it.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:43 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Rolling Stone editors seem to always like that over the top cartoony HDR effect, because the point isn't even about quality, it's about being a big magazine....but I love HDR when used subtley it can be ultra real and also invoke this nice other worldliness.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 8:45 am

she's a he
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am

Yeah, the photo is by a long time friend from High School, Jamie Harmon. He's always been a shutter bug. We needed photos and he had an afternoon free. Jamie has carved out an interesting niche for himself in photography and we appreciate his help. There is no connection between the photo and Rolling Stone.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 9:05 am

And for the record I like Bobcat but I don't even know who David Yow is.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 9:16 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

You know he was the Jesus Lizard singer...you could get away with all that yelling back in the 90's....you remember.

Photography and lay out is a matter of preference also.

I don't think I said anything that would offend Jamie...the halo shit is a limitation of HDR not his skill.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

That pic is kind of reminiscent of the MRR photos you did back in the day, sitting on top of a car or there may have been one looking down from a tree, and you had the guitars.....classic Americana type stuff, I can dig it.

Actually is fits in with all the Oblivians images...just slouching around doin your thang.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 9:24 am | Edited by: greg O

Just googled him. Got it. I saw their records at friends houses but never checked'em out. I remember people telling me they liked our Jesus Lizard cover after performances of "sunday you need love". I didn't know what they were talking about. Further proof that I've never heard them. I would never have covered it if I knew someone else had beaten me to it. I'm sure it's good stuff.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 10:29 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Eric says he likes them. They realy couldn't be avoided in my town, it's like all anybody listened too for a time. I like them alot , but at that age they weren't The Oblivians to me!

I miss the 90's when music could have no structure and you could get real crazy.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am

HDR photography is a blessing and a curse, especially with people. I shot a band about 6 years ago using HDR techniques, and it worked because of the room. Once people start looking plastic, it's time to tone down the effect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inky_cap/2452777919/in/photostream
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

this song gets stuck in your head, really into it. New Oblivians! Fuck yeah
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 11:06 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Once people start looking plastic, it's time to tone down the effect.

I agree. Rolling Stone and Time love that plasticy look...I get to thinking about that in the dentists office alot.

I think just a well executed pic in RAW at low ISO with some nice finishing, is almost as good as HDR...but HDR is fun to experiment with.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 11:15 am

i almost agree with brad's assessment of the song, but i'm not jumping to any conclusions at all cuz the one really important thing that's missing from this song is album context. people seem to forget that BAD MAN is one that rose above the "typical" O's sound and carried over to greg's post 'blivs sets . can't wait to hear the whole thing. i expect there's gonna be some serious retardation on it.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 11:30 am

I think just a well executed pic in RAW at low ISO with some nice finishing, is almost as good as HDR...but HDR is fun to experiment with.

I couldn't agree more.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 3:22 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

It's hard to be subjective about a band you have liked for most of your life but I think "Feel Real Good" "Emergency" or "Leather" are way better songs than "Bad Man." I fuckin loved it when Pop Favorites came out thow.

I think the vast majority of folks covering Bad Man do the Detroit Cobras lyrics, which I find so fucking annoying. The Detroit Cobras cover of it is fine, but the fact that that seems like the definative version pisses me off.
Posted: Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm

i didn't mention "bad man" cuz it was better or worse than anything else. i only meant "stylisitically speaking." i'm not even sure why i'm explaining this to you.

i been had!
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 2:17 am

bad man is still power chords for the most part...
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 7:45 am

I've never been quite sure, is a power chord the first three notes of a bar chord? I remember someone in high school explaining that it was just the second two notes of a bar chord. But that doesn't seem right.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 10:05 am

Power chords are the Gary Glitter chords...that's all I know.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 10:06 am

O.K. So, like the first and third notes of a bar chord?
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 10:08 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I guess when I finaly formed an opinion, I always considered "Bad Man" a throwback to Compulsive Gamblers, and Oblivians have other songs in that style by both Jack and Greg....I mean like Robot Love I also considered a throwback to Compulsuive Gamblers...which as far as I know was officialy released first on Jack's first solo album....I remember Best of the Worst coming out around the same time as American Slang so it's hard to say...but that's what I've always felt like.

Point being, that they are definative Oblivians songs, but I don't consider "Bad Man" to be the DEFINATIVE Oblivians song...or even like a pinacle.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 10:19 am

It's realy not a good argument...I don't want to get into this subjective argument...but I don't consider "Bad Man" like the peak of Greg's songwriting or like the best Oblivians song...or even the best song on Popular Favorites....I mean it stood out, Detroit Cobras popularized it even more for folks in the straight world. That's about it for me.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 10:25 am

you're a pinnacle.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am

I tried to look that word up to make sure I spelled it right, and I couldn't find any definition for it, so just left it spelled wrong. That word must be falling out of popular use.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 11:24 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I don't know if I consider Robot Love a throw back to Compulsive Gamblers, but it's just another unique song in their discography. It represents a style that they toyed with....you know it's funky, kind of like the subject matter in 5 Hour Man, and the rythym is choppy, the subject matter was reminiscent of Rufus Thomas, so I might group those two songs together.

Bad Man is like a classic 50's chord progression, that's like the type of thing Greg has toyed with his entire career. But I don't know if it's like my favorite song of theirs in that style.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'd group songs like He's Your Man, and Robot Love, and 5 Hour Man together as like pretty funk and soul influenced, but it's all Oblivians....I see He's Your Man, as being way more interesting and dynamic than Bad Man. I love the part in the break where he name drops Joe Tex. That kind of clues you in that there is some interesting stuff going on, crossing of genres like a distinct unique sound.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 11:38 am

What is that song he is talking about? There is some Joe Tex song about treating your man right.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

theres only 3 notes in a major chord if i remember correctly, theyre just repeated at different octaves. i believe a bar chord is just an E or A major chord moved wherever using the first finger to "bar" the fret, like a capo. a power chord, i believe, is just an easier way to play a bar chord, with two fingers. its the first 3 strings of a bar chord, but two of the notes are actually the same, just different octaves. if you were to play more than the first three strings, then i believe it becomes a 5th chord. of course, its been quite literally half a lifetime since i studied any sort of music theory, and even then i was more into playing my guitar than learning theory, so dont take any of this as gospel...
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 4:53 pm

so basically, a bar chord is 6 strings but only 3 actual notes, a power chord is 3 strings but only 2 notes.

for instance, an E major/bar chord is comprised of the notes E, B, E, Ab, B, E

so an E power chord would be just E, B, E
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

a bar chord is 6 strings but only 3 actual notes

Not true. You can barre any cord as long as the notes are all there.

Major chords are 1-3-5 of the octave.
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Power chords are root-fifth-root
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Example: E B E
Posted: Apr 25, 2013 1:46 am

Not true. You can barre any cord as long as the notes are all there.

well obviously, but i think when most people are talking about bar chords they mean major chords. i just learned the boys are back in town, and that uses some minor 7th bar chords...
Posted: Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am | Edited by: greg O

What was that thing all the 90's bands did, where you just leave out the fifth? So like an E chord is just E_E. Like, you mute the B. I thought maybe that was a power chord. If it doesn't have a name I would like to take this opportunity to name it "Indie chord". Either way, I appreciate the explanation. I got in the habit of playing full chords all the time somewhere along the way. I think it's because I use a lot of minors and 7th's. I remember being in a studio in 91 and playing bar(sp) chords when the engineer came over and informed me that no one played fifths anymore. Bad man is open chords all the way. If a song can be played in open chords I will always do it.
Posted: Apr 25, 2013 11:31 am

Yeah, one thing I noticed everytime I see you live is that you like open chords.

When it comes to guitar, I had 8 months of adult education night classes at my highschool when I was a teenager. Just me and a bunch of 70 year olds playing Johnny Row Yr Boat Ashore, arpegio style. Then I finaly said fuck it all I need is the Ramones power chord....and now I stand before you having never made any significant music to speak of.
Posted: Apr 25, 2013 11:46 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

This brings back memories:

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 10:38 pm

i like open chords too, i almost always play those or full barre chords unless i am really fucked up. "indie chord" is a cool name, but back in the 90s i thought of it as "college rock chord" because indie had a different meaning back then as i recall.
Posted: Apr 28, 2013 11:57 am

Posted: Apr 28, 2013 3:46 pm

joe, what is that supposed to say? i dont have facebook.
Posted: Apr 28, 2013 4:21 pm

It says:
OBLIVIANS - FREE! @ Seaport Music Fest (Pier 17) Jun. 7 in NEW YORK!
Posted: Apr 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Greg, you're talkin about octaves. Bands swiped that from Fugazi who probably got it from Hendrix
Posted: Apr 28, 2013 11:35 pm

Fugazi!!!? Joe, are you a patient boy??
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am

hail to the naw.
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 11:30 am

Dude, I've played guitar for 22 of my 34 years. Of course I like Fugazi
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm | Edited by: Cole

There are two Memphis shows in the Fugazi live series that are pretty bad ass. I love listening to those live series shows. The music is great and invariably Ian is gonna rip into some dude for acting like an ass or yelling for Minor Threat songs
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 6:28 pm

adolescents/di did the octave thing before fugazi
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 6:56 pm

You're right Mark. Forgot about those OC melodies.
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Though I think the 90s "post hardcore" stuff I believe Greg was referring to didn't have much SoCal influence
Posted: Apr 30, 2013 10:02 am

errr...well upon further consideration, I do think Robot Blues/Robot Lover were in a way throwbacks to Compulsive Gamblers if you want to consider them like that...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®