Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Who loves the Association?
scottrogers
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:12 pm

Who's peekin' out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow
Everyone knows it's Windy

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment

And Windy has stor-my eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Above the clouds (above the clouds)
Above the clouds (above the clouds)

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:14 pm

Along Comes Mary is a fucking greeeeeeeat song and nobody realizes it.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:14 pm | Edited by: sexualchocolate

My Mom loves The Association she saw them twice. They were okay on the Smothers Brothers show too.....I guess they're cool. My favorite member is the asian guy.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:33 pm

And "Never My Love"? What a wonderful song.

And that song "Requiem for the Masses", too. . . . that's kind of a creepy song . . .
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:34 pm

Dude, have you ever heard "Wantin' Ain't Gettin'" from the Windy LP??? It's sooooooooo dope. I'm an Association fan L.A.M.F.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:43 pm | Edited by: sexualchocolate

Eh, The Monkees give The Association a run for thier money......ask any women in her early 50's..........that damn Heineken comercial ruined that Never My Love song for awhile.

Is Requiem for The Masses, that one with monk chanting and military drums? Been a couple years since I listened to that album......Paul Reverre and the Raiders aint half bad either.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:46 pm

Despite their stupid faces (Nesmith excluded) The Monkees rule the school, dawg.
scottrogers
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:47 pm

Don't talk bad about Peter Tork.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:48 pm | Edited by: sexualchocolate

Yeah, even the stuff they wrote themselves is pretty great...My Mom never liked Sergio Mendes Brazil 66 that I know of...but it seems to me that if you like The Association, you might like them too.

The Monkees were the greatest.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:48 pm

Sorry, the album is actually called "Insight Out," NOT "Windy." It's the subtitle/ featured track...
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:50 pm

Mendes rules BIG.

Peter Tork sucked BIG in that stupid transcendental scene in 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:52 pm

I'm sorry but The Carpenters are the end all.....The Association and The Monkees were great, but The Carpenters were making the music of angels....when we die and go to heaven The Carpenters will be playing on the P.A.
scottrogers
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:52 pm

Jerry Lee didn't though.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:55 pm

I hope I'm not ruining my punk rock cred by saying this, but I am a big fan of Elton John's...all era's even the Lion King soundtrack...and I'm becoming a mild fan of Linda Ronstadt, and a long standing fan of John Denver.....damn I just lost what little punk rock cred I have....I know, I know.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 9:58 pm

Jerry Lee was the top of the pianee pyramid!
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 10:02 pm

Jerry Lee was the true Seventh Son...not Johnny Rivers
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 10:05 pm

Ha! I saw those dudes play like twice at the Peabody when I used to be a banquet bartender there. (class reunions both times, I think). They actually sounded pretty good. They did pad their set by playing the big ones (Never My Love, Windy, Cherish) at least twice, however. The best part was after the rest of the band had spent two hours seting up, sound checking, etc. the lead singer blusters into the foyer of the ballroom wearing wraparounds and a bad comb-over demanding to know "where is MY BAND?!?!?"

Rock n'fuckin Roll...
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 10:08 pm

Woah, Linda and John I can kind of understand, but Elton John fandom is insanity. Ack, just thinking about him and his music makes me sick to my stomach. Candle in the Wind, I'm Still Standing, Crocodile Rock ... I think I'm gonna puke.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 10:10 pm

Bennie and the Jets is epic.
scottrogers
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:02 pm

I don't really know how I feel about Elton John as a whole, but I do know that Saturday night IS alright for fightin'.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:09 pm

I love the Association and the Monkees! Only Davey and Mickey had stupid faces. Howzabout Procal Harem? HA!
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:31 pm

That's funny, benny and the jets was on as I was driving home and it got stuck in my head like a bitch. I like most of the hits he had in the 70's, but after that... ick.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:35 pm

Is Requiem for The Masses, that one with monk chanting and military drums? Been a couple years since I listened to that album.....
Paul Reverre and the Raiders aint half bad either.
<<

Yes on Requiem. Think the lyric starts out really weird, "Mama mama forget your pies" or something similar.

The Raiders were excellent! Mark Lindsay is one of my favorite singers.

Not much t say about Elton, but keep me posted the next time he visits Taiwan. "Ugly pigs!"
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:42 pm | Edited by: underthewires

uggh, that elton john commercial for the iPod or whatever the fuck it is is horrendous
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:52 pm

Along Comes Mary is a fucking greeeeeeeat song and nobody realizes it.

Fun trivia: The Association opened the '67 Monterey Pop Festival.

I'm current renting the Monterey DVD set; the other night I saw a bit of their performance. They do ASM, and it's actually better than I would have expected. Relatively tight, considering the circumstances.

The Byrds set, on the other hand, is pretty frightening. And I love the Byrds.
Posted: Mar 3, 2005 11:53 pm

ACM, I should say. Acronymically challenged, I.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 12:03 am

Yeah, my dad had the Monterey Pop video years back. If I remember his story correctly, he once went to a festival and watched Chuck Berry and The Association and walked out before this unknown band called Led Zeppelin played.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 12:13 am

Monkees related.......Tommy Boyce was living here in the mid 80's and I was working in a music store.....I didn't know him from a man in the moon and he comes in and says "Hello, I'm Tommy Boyce"......and I was in a bad mood and said "Yeah and I'm Bobby Hart"......oh how we laughed.
Then he killed himself but I don't think it was my fault...........
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 12:15 am

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is a great album from start to finish.

Nardwuar did a pretty good interview with Peter Tork and some other guy at a county fair where Tork's cover band was playing. It's archived on the Nardwuar website. The name is something like Unsensible Shooz, swear to god.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 12:32 am

The Association doing "Cherish" is the absolute worst.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 12:46 am

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is a great album from start to finish.

Candle In The Wind only works in the context of this album. I love the liner notes too. The pics, especially for Jamaica Jerk Off are great! Grey Seal is really good. This is all from memory, I haven't looked at the album since I last saw my mom's copy about 15 years ago.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 1:39 am | Edited by: dan gerous

I like 'em.

my mom saw them. the Who opened. she said it was great & wild.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 1:08 pm

Along Comes Mary rules ... As do The Left Banke and The Critters! That kinda sunshine pop stuff, with the kool-i-o, fat-end studio sound, is some great pop music ... Dunno about all'a that Sagittarius / Curt Boecher stuff, tho', too fucking wimpy ...
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 1:53 pm

when we die and go to heaven The Carpenters will be playing on the P.A.

PLeeeeeease don't say that!!! I guess I better start to sin just a lil' bit more if that's the case. I can't stand the fuckin' Carpenters....
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 3:33 pm

Some of the Curt Boecher produced stuff is great, but we got a copy of his solo record into the store and it is stinky...

Anybody tried the fading yellow comp series? pop-sike one-offs - some of it is really amazing! Been trying to get it into the shop for a year now without any luck - somebody in england does em.

To me there's a big difference between the wimpy 60s stuff and the wimpy 70s stuff - I love a lot of the 60s stuff but by the 70s pop always seems to veer a little prog, or a little country, or some such shit. Almost always with bad results.

Until powerpop came along and made wimpy cool again. kinda.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 3:45 pm

The Dovers is the best 60's wimpy stuff!
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 4:09 pm

Zac, you probably alerady know it but if not, you ought to try the Millenium album, Begin. That's probably the best Boettcher-produced stuff.

Also, Sandy Salisbury (Millenium/Sagittarius bandmate) had some great songs, with those bands and also by himself. Never knew why the guy wasn't a star until I heard to the effect that Boettcher actively dissuaded powers that be (record/publishing co. et al) from pushing Sandy's songs/recordings! Amazing. "Do Unto Others" alone should have done the trick.
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 4:19 pm

These mus be wher Santa Claus live!
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 4:20 pm

Ai dios mio, look who the weasel dragged in...
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 5:21 pm

DOVERS! DOVERS! DOVERS!
Posted: Mar 4, 2005 7:07 pm

yea.. Requim for the masses...pretty good song, but Then Along comes Mary is really good.

i also like YES. but i have to listen to it by myself, cuz everyone be hatin on my Rick Wakeman/ Chris Squire jam sessions.

ill be your Roundaboot' (canadian style of Roundabout..)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®