Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / greatest band you've seen live
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 11:06 am

Lots of down time at work today. This guy was telling me about how great Kid Rock was live. While he was talking I started thinking about this. I'm thinking of just live performance here. There have been bands I've enjoyed more. Maybe I was just more into the music or whatever. I ranked mine

10-Bits of Shit- unbelievable front man
9. James Arthur's Manhunt-great energy and the all the feedback and weird sounds they get out of their instruments is awesome.
8. Sex Church-not kick ass energy but they are great at conveying a mood if that makes since. Closest I've ever come to being in a trance like state.
7. Hans Condor- I bought their record after I saw them...didn't really get into it. Live they destroy.
6. Mean Jeans-Same as above but they are all about fun. You have to be pretty miserable to not have fun watching them.
5. TSOT- this band destroys and no matter how great of a time your having.. they're having a better one
4. Royal. headache.
3. Oblivians
2. Fugazi
1.Total Control

Running out of lunch break so I had to rush at the end.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

all in one show, late 80's, halloween in detroit
laughing hyena's
scratch acid
butthole surfers
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Ramones
Joe Strummer and Mescalaros
Mike Rep and The Quotas, they owned a cover of The Doors Maggy Magile
Sun City Girls
9Lb Hammer 2001 Sleazefest
Oblivians
Gories
Wooden Tit
Cheater Slicks (they were on at the 2002 Oblivians Holoween reunion show)
Reigning Sound
Dude Cole, T.S.O.T. always rock it! Even when they aren't having a good time it's still an amazing Felliniesc spectacle!

I know I'm leaving some bands out....I'm trying to remember the 90's.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I saw Lost Sounds 4 times...I guess that's a feather for my cap right?
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Buck Biloxi coffee shop takeover
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm

I've got Total Control in my top spot. That's from their set at GF 7. I just remember them being ferocious. I was pretty green at the time though. Does anyone remember that set? Was it as killer as I remember it being?
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:33 pm

this week Anomalys and Las Ardillas
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Yes, cole, it was a killer
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:43 pm

1990s
Real Kids
Black Top
Reatards at the Gibson house (watching from the windows as Jay run out into the street to punch someone in the face and come back in and start playing again)
The Mummies
Oblviians
Motards

1980s
Black Flag
Husker Du
Redd Kross
Nirvana, Tad Mudhoney on one bill for $5.

I guess I have seen a ton of great shows in the last 10+ years some listed above, but maybe not what would call "life changing"
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

It was. Then I went on to bitch about the records for two years. That Royal Headache set was really cool. I hit it off with Shogun at the Aussie BBQ and we hung out watching bands at GF. I got to see the whole being a little nervous, getting psyched, and then killing it thing. I was kind of fascinated by that.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:58 pm

I saw Nirvana at the New Daisy in 91 I think. It was right before Nevermind hit. I didn't know who they were and just wanted to party on Beagle St. I honestly remember almost nothing about them.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Oblviians

and the edit post function doesn't seem to be working for me today...
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 6:00 pm

GUITAR WOLF! duh

and acid mothers temp.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 6:00 pm

I used to read about the Antenna Club but was always scared to go. I expected punks from some shitty eighties movie would beat me up.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm

ho ho ho. child of the 90's here:

first show ever: boredoms/meat puppets/nirvana
second time I saw Sonic Youth
stevie wonder
my bloody valentine
polvo
aphex twin
thee oh sees
monotonix
roky erickson
dark meat
the entire saturday of gonerfest 6 was retardedly awesome, especially being 10 weeks after I moved here.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Tyrades
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 9:50 pm

I saw Nirvana at the New Daisy in 91 I think. It was right before Nevermind hit. I didn't know who they were and just wanted to party on Beagle St. I honestly remember almost nothing about them.

Same, except it was in Santa Cruz, CA at the Catalyst and they were opening for Dinosaur Jr.

I think I spent most of the time at the bar waiting for Dinosaur to come on.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Butthole Surfers with the Flaming Lips with a head full of mushrooms..that was pretty badass
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Lips with dry ice and Xmas tree colored light show?
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm | Edited by: Thee Gilded Chimera

It was pretty cool to see David Thomas of whatever incarnation of Pere Ubu that was around in '06 have a meltdown and start bitching at the crowd and then cut the show short, which only raised people's ire even more. Ha ha ha ha.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Thee Headcoats were cool. Glad I saw them. Ain't seen too many shows. I was always too much of a dope-smoking shut-in
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 11:06 pm

descendents on their first reunion tour were pretty kickass. new bomb turks, teengenerate, headcoats, rip offs, gasoline, etc all great mid 90s shows.
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 11:48 pm

My first punky-punk show was Dead Kennedys and Butthole Surfers at the River Theater in Geurnville, CA - 1985. I was 15 and that night was like a fucking vision quest, life was different after that.

Teengenerate always killed it in the 90's...saw them a few times. Registrators too. I remember Lubricated Goat at the Chameleon in '93 kinda exploding my head as did pretty much any Aussies... Cosmic Psychos, Onyas, Hard Ons... shit, the Hard Ons RULED. My staples in 90's SF: The Rip Offs, Motards, Humpers, Stitches and Lazy Cowgirls never disappointed EVER. Nor have the Oblivians. Mudhoney. The fucking Fluid. Bad Brains. Tad. I can't even pick, you guys... and I'm missing a million more, I know it!
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 1:13 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Ida Slapter wins so far I feel like. Nice Skank Police! Oh man I would have loved to have seen Tyrades.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 3:05 am

It was pretty cool to see David Thomas of whatever incarnation of Pere Ubu

Saw him 4 times (Pere Ubux3+1 RFTT), always fantastic.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 7:48 am

some from the 90s
Thee Headcoats / Empty Bottle
The Oblivians / Rip Off Rumble
The New Bomb Turks / various places, they always were great
Bantam Rooster / first show in particular because I had no idea what to expect from "Tommy the record store guy". Also, Eric Cook on drums was jaw droppingly good
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 7:50 am

Man is the Bastard/Charles Bronson/Los Crudos at the AZone in Chicago 98?
Watain at the Dragon's Den '10
Immortal/Angelcorpse at Chicago House of Blues 99
Guided By Voices/the 3Ds at the Southgate House 94
Antiseen/Hellstomper at the Confederacy of Scum showcase, NOLA 02
Rocket From the Tombs NOLA House of Blues 04
one specific Melt Banana show at the Empty Bottle where they covered Uncontrollable Urge
Black Sabbath Oslo Centrum 98
Disorder at some squat in Oslo 98
Melvins at the Metro with David Yow doing guest vocals 99
Eyehategod/Suplecs at the Big Horse 98
opening for Chrome at the Dixie Tavern 03

Honorable Mentions:
Polvo in 94
Circle Jerks in 93
Dead Milkmen in 93
Weirdos in 04
Teengenerate at the Fireside Bowl late 90s
Faust at Lounge Ax 98?
countless Charles Bronson shows
countless Melt Banana shows
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 7:58 am

Oh fuck! How could I forget Katey Redd/the Centimeters/Wicked Finger in Quintron's basement 01

Also pretty good:
Gauze at the Fireside Bowl 98
reformed Mentors at the Full Moon Club 09?
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 10:05 am

Cosmic Psychos opening for the Melvins in Chicago late 90s at the Fireside Bowl. We left before the Melvins played, sorry H0pp3! Psychos were in the bar looking all gnarly but I was too shy and sober to say anything.

Shellac in 1994 in Kalamazoo at Dagobah Square, a lil all ages shithole that is now a church. Went by myself since none of my friends liked At Action Park yet. Their amps were made by a friend and they had a single huge knob on the front. Saw Alice Donut in the same space and that was junky fun. Was a total teetotaller until 1996 so I remember these pretty well.

Dutch and I's first noisy punk show was Steel Pole Bathtub 1992 at Club Soda. Ears rang for a few days, first exposure to permanent hearing loss.

Motorhead, Duo and Maiden in 2003 at Pine Knob in Royal Oak. Wedding present to Lindsey and I from my metal coworkers at the video store. DIO HAD A LIGHTUP SWORD AND HE FOUGHT A DRAGON. I wore a Venom T-shirt and made lots of friends. Got free tickets to see The Stooges in the parking lot. "Should we go next week? Nahhhhh."

The Jesus Lizard at Club Soda around 1992 or 1993. GOAT ERA.

Oblivians and Gories in Memphis then Detroit. 2009? Memphis show cozy both nights. Detroit one at the Majestic in that big fucking cavern room, our first time in there. Eric wouldn't play "Emergency" even after I yelled it a few times. I heard that they finally played it a month or so later not on American soil. Hate America First crowd. Lindsey and I were buzzed up at the end and noticed that the Oblivians Merch handlers were having a hard time selling the fans what they wanted. Lindsey started taking orders and I dug in the boxes for stuff. Did that until the line was gone and there was a shitty sea of PBR cans and chain wallet scraps littering the floor. Handed Eric the fat wad of merch $ and he told us to hoof it next door to catch Jay's set at the Magic Stick. Walked in with Mark n Windy and pushed our old asses to the front through the wall of skinny 20 year olds and raged to the last few songs. Oh yeah, the Oblivians sounded like the Live At Barristers lp but through a Butthole Surfers dose of reverb. Gories were fun and hammed it up.

Puffy Areolas with Tyvek winter 2011 in Ann Arbor in The Quad on a lil raised platform with steps around it for fashion shows I assume. Puffys sounded like astral projected death. Tyvek was 3 piece sloppy and got it together for a few songs. Drove A few hours through lake effect blizzard there and she drove back. Cue Geto Boyz "I'm Not a Gentleman" for all late night drives back home.

Will post later with my favorite show ever plus even more shitty run on sentences about the 90s and 00s.

GREAT THREAD COLE. Will include the time I saw Kidd Rock too.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 10:28 am

Chrome

Helios Creed, not Chrome. Helios was there, Chad was there, got it confused with this year's Blackout.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am

useless eater: were you into the space/psych detroit shit back then? I think Asha Vida put on some of the best shows I've ever seen. Did you go to Zoot's at all?

I also forgot to add Slum Village to my list. j dillaaaaaaaaaa
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 10:58 am

Flaming Lips with a head full of mushrooms..that was pretty badass

My Lips experience with a head full of mushrooms was the exact opposite of pretty badass.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 12:02 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

"Rocket from the Tombs"
Lost Sounds

Many others, but those are probably my top.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 12:25 pm

It ain't happened yet, but I'm going to see the Trashmen in Sioux Falls next month. It's going to be sick.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Merle Haggard at Saratoga Mountain Winery!

Willie Nelson was great there too, but my first of countless WN shows was...

Willie at Konocti Harbor in 1996 with David Nudelman. It's this bizarre old 60's rock and roll lake resort near Napa Valley where you were more likely to see the likes of America or Tom Jones. The Median age in the crowd was probably 62. If you know Nudelman (of 3 Stoned Men, Resineaters...Planet Pimp fame), you know why that was weird. Willie killed for 3 hours then walked to the front of the stage and stuck his hand out for anyone who wanted to say "hey". Not a lot of people stayed. I went over and talked to him a bit... he's like, other-worldly. His gaze shoots right into your soul and makes you feel all cozy, fuzzy, and swirly. He's gotta be an incarnation of the Buddha or someshit.

Black Sabbath, AC/DC, ZZ Top... all very decent arena shows.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 1:25 pm

I saw Willie open up for Bob Dylan at the baseball stadium in Memphis.... I forgot they name of it. Willie blew old man Dylan off the stage. Also they let kids in free. That impressed me. I took three of my four. Those guys are legenoand they can say they saw them.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 1:29 pm

I will forget some but the top candidates (in no particular order) go to:

Butthole Surfers - twice between 1988-90. When they & their fans were still doing lots of mid-altering drugs.

Several Fugazi shows

The first few times I saw George Clinton/P-Funk in the early 1990s

Maceo Parker in an intimate setting (Wilbert's) in Cleveland - mid-1990s

Andre Williams - first time I saw him in late 1990s. Crowd went nuts for "Car with the Star" (greatest rock & roll song ever). He played all/nearly all of Silky then encored with Car with the Star again.

BR5-49 & Southern Culture on the Skids - yeah, really. Early 2000s.

Oblivians - Memphis shows + Columbus in 2010.

Gories - Gonerfest + Cleveland in 2010 (I think)

Drakkar Sauna - the no-fi cabin (acoustic) at Nelsonville Music Festival a few years ago

Cheater Slicks - seen them a million times, 3/4 of the shows were tits.

Great acts from the past couple GFs - Shannon & the Clams, Bits of Shit, Nobunny & several more

Jesus Lizard - 3 shows in a row (went to 2) in Cleveland at the Euclid Tavern the same weekend the Rock Hall opened. David Yow was in crazy form, even for him.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 1:49 pm | Edited by: Tim Teabag

Stravinsky in Paris on the Rite of Spring Tour. It was the way he worked the crowd that made it such a great show.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Ida Slapter wins so far I feel like. Nice Skank Police! Oh man I would have loved to have seen Tyrades.

Ah, thanks... but I don't feel like I even scratched the surface of bands that I have seen. I mean I am old and I started going to shows in 1984 and didn't really slow down until a couple of years ago. I spent most of my 20s going to 3 or 4 shows a week.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm

All years approximate. I've moved around a bit.

Circle Jerks at Goleta Valley Community Center, 1982
Talking Heads Remain in Light tour Santa Barbara County Bowl
Gregory Isaacs, some place in downtown Santa Barbara, 1982
Flaming Lips at V.I.S. Club, SF, 1983
Trouble Funk at I-Beam, SF, 1985
Sun Ra at Wolfgang's, SF, 1987
Minutemen & Husker Du, the Stone, SF, 1985
Jerry Lee Lewis, Fillmore, SF, 1986

Guided By Voices, Austin Opera House, 1993
Teenage Fanclub, Liberty Lunch, 1994

Sonny Burgess and the Pacers, King of Clubs, Swifton, AR, 2000
Jackie & the Cedrics w/ guest keyboardist, the Arcade, Memphis, 1999
Guided By Voices, Last Place on Earth, Memphis, 2001
Country Teasers, 68 Comeback, South End Saloon, 2000

more Ponderosa Stomp sets than I can recall...

Alarm Clocks at Ponderosa Stomp, Memphis, 2006
Sonics comeback at Cavestomp, Brooklyn, 2007.
Tom Jones at the Warfield, 2008
James Williamson's first time on stage in 30+ years, the Blank Club, San Jose, 2009

There's lots more. Not sure if anyone would care, but I've thought about doing a blog with photos of all the ticket stubs (I still have a lot of them) as well as my foggy recollections.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm

iggy pop at state theatre detroit
ramones at state theatre kalamazoo
motorhead house of blues chicago
thee headcoats the shelter detroit
oblivians the shelter detroit
servotron magic stick detroit
dri club soda kalamazoo
spits kraftbrau kalamazoo
final solutions kraftbrau kalamazoo
cheater slicks hi tone memphis
eddy current suppresion ring empty bottle chicago
wesley willis at music express kalamazoo
sugar hill gang club soda kalamazoo
guitar wolf magic stick with bass wolf(rip) magic stick detroit
beastie boys da lench mob and rollins band at
wings stadium kalamazoo
cunt puppet for the shear fact they offended 85% of the crowd at kraftbrau " i wanna live where the speed limits 69!"
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 3:02 pm

oh shit! T Model Ford and Spam with the late Hazle Adkins and Spam getting mad at Hazle Adkins for hitting his cymbals too hard at magic stick...!
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Lips with dry ice and Xmas tree colored light show?

before that (90-91)....but I ended up following them around during the xmas light phase.

I also would like to add

Meat Puppets at some tiny bar in Flagstaff, AZ in '89...place had no stage, it was bonkers

Metallica, Mid South Coliseum, 1986

Spiritualized, Galaxy Club, 1995(?), small place, but they brought the industrial strength strobes..gave me vertigo and I fell flat on my face, took out a gaggle of small women with me when I fell..loud also, pretty awesome...

Nirvana in '91...was memorable as it was the show at trees in Dallas when Kurt hit Turner (security dude) in the head with his guitar and mayhem ensued as Turner tried to beat the shit outta kurt..Noveselic tore a board off the wall and went after Turner...good times.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 3:39 pm

I wasn't at Trees, but I lived in Dallas then. Story I heard was that Kurt started trashing the mixing board, Turner owned the board and didn't take kindly to the destruction.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm

An unannounced show of the Tyrades before the Little Killers came on @ de Diepte in 2004.
Other memorable shows:
The Reatards, also at de Diepte.
The Hunches @ Vera on their first European tour.
the Spits @ the Pit's
Bassholes w. Msr. Jeffrey Evans, Vera, Grunn.
Flying Dutchmen @ Wild Weekend, Spain.
Lost Sounds, Savage Fest, Sweden.
Oblivians/Gories, Madrid, Spain.
T-Model Ford, Paul Jones, 20Miles, Melkweg, Amsterdam.
Reatards, Tokyo Electron, Angry Angles, the Pit's, Belgium.
Page & Plant, Ahoy, Rotterdam.
And of course many, many more (to come).
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 4:42 pm

I wasn't at Trees, but I lived in Dallas then. Story I heard was that Kurt started trashing the mixing board, Turner owned the board and didn't take kindly to the destruction.

Thats kinda what happened. I dont know if Turner owned the board..but Trees had a separate mixing board for the monitors (still the best sounding club sound system I have ever heard) that sat at stage left. I guess Kurt was not happy with the monitors and in between songs he went over and bashed his guitar into the board...which set some staff off, then I guess the manager or someone calmed them down and then shortly after, Kurt did his crowd surfing thing and Turner grabbed him to put him back on stage, and Kurt, for some reason bashed Turner in the head in the side of the head, cutting Turner then turner punched Kurt and the show stopped.

im one of the shaggy blonde dudes to the right of the stage
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 4:47 pm

they played a few more after they stopped...you can see them messing with the board in the clip...
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Seen so many great shows - here' the absolute top on my list.

1983? Iron Maiden and Quiet Riot at the Omni in Atlanta, it was Kevin DuBrow's birthday, and he got a pie in the face from Bruce Dickinson!

1984 Black Flag at the 688 Club, Atlanta/Hoodoo Gurus at Buckhead Cinema & Drafthouse, Atlanta

1985 Fishbone and the Replacements at the Antenna Club, separate shows in the same week.

1990 Waylon & Willie at the Mud Island Amphitheatre, Memphis

1990 Jesus Lizard opening for Sonic Youth at the New Daisy, Memphis

1998 Oblivians/Quintron at the P+H Cafe, Memphis. Also pretty much any Oblivians or Grifters show this decade, or any Sunday night we made the drive down to Junior's juke joint to catch Junior Kimbrough and RL Burnside

Early 2000s - Royal Pendletons at Wild Bill's

2005 T-Model Ford in London, whilst hanging out with Jason Spaceman!

2006? Rocket from the Tombs at the Hi-Tone, Memphis

2006? Final Solutions show at Murphy's, Memphis, where Jay "fired" the band, played the swordfish, and stuck a drumstick up his butt!

And that Black Lips show at the Buccaneer, whenever that was...
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:06 pm

and the Ponderosa Stomp, especially the pre-Stomp shindig that was Sam & Ira's wedding, where all of these amazing musicians were standing around wondering who each other were. got to dance with Eric Burdon to Paul Burlison picking the strings on "Train Kept A-Rollin" - whatta night!
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm

and Teengenerate at Barristers, when Jeff Evans "married" Fink and Mary (wasn't that after a JSBX show?)... and all the shows at the Arcade... and Rufus Thomas at the Memphis Music & Heritage Festival... and the Thinking Fellers Union/Fieldstones 2-header at Green's Lounge!
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:10 pm

I saw the Flaming lips in 1987 at the Ranch Bowl (the bar in a large bowling alley) in Omaha, Nebraska and it was seriously fucked up.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:20 pm

a-hem. asking for "greatest band You've seen live", not "best show".

I'd have to go with Sun Ra Arkestra when he had 3 dancers, 2 traps players, 3 percussionists (including "african infinity drum"), Marshall Allen, John Gilmore & Pat Patrick, came out and played music from the 30's through the 2200's, and some Venusian tracks as well.

often "best show" relates more to venue/crowd/timing rather than the music the musicians played.

lots of mentions of RFTT so I'd second that.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:25 pm

good point, Jesse! wow, saw the Arkestra after Sun Ra died, with Marshall Allen leading, cannot imagine what it would've been like to see the master himself.

OK, greatest band I've seen live:

it's a trifecta: Willie Nelson & Family, Jesus Lizard, and... geez. Quintron & Pussycat? Jay Reatard? Oblivians? Honestly, I might have to say the Pendletons, when Louie was banging the tubs and Tommy was on organ...
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 5:39 pm

It doesn't matter...show...band...whatever. I got what I wanted. Cool stories about great times involving awesome music. The Memphis stuff is killing me. In the early 90's there was a teenager in MS, living a little over an hour away, that would have given years off his life to see some of those shows.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Like most of the old timers here, there are plenty of bands that could vie for the title of "best live band I've seen", many of which are mentioned above. I am however surprised not to see a mention of Dead Moon.

Finally seeing Dead Moon at Garage Shock 95 (at least I'm pretty sure it was 95, interwebs searches are just as murky as my memory - it looks like they played in 93 too, but I didn't stay for all three days) was a revelation. They went instantly from being a band I'd heard a little bit of to being an obsession.

Given the amount of touring that Fred and Toody have done, it's strange to remember that they didn't really tour in the States at all at that time due to lack of interest. Europe was much more kind to them.

I visited Portland the following year for some more rock'n'roll shenanigans. Was that NXNW, Ida? I saw Dead Moon at the Satyricon with a fresh black eye from being sucker punched by a Fabio lookalike the night before. What a night it turned out to be. Any night where I manage to carry around a beer pitcher swinging Sam Soule on my shoulders Bon Scott style and drink Yukon Jack from Fred Cole's flask backstage is a legendary night in my book. That was the night I officially joined the cult. Within a few months, I upped sticks and moved to Portland from San Francsico. God knows how many times I saw them from then until they broke up. Always a moving experience.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 8:10 pm

That's one hell of a great post. I'm one of those assholes that heard Pierced Arrows before Dead Moon, but I've been buying the Mississippi reissues and love them dearly. To the point where I'm pretty sure the logo will soon be a permanent decoration on my body. I wish I could have seen them.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Spiritualized, Galaxy Club, 1995(?), small place, but they brought the industrial strength strobes..gave me vertigo and I fell flat on my face, took out a gaggle of small women with me when I fell..loud also, pretty awesome...

Nirvana in '91...was memorable as it was the show at trees in Dallas when Kurt hit Turner (security dude) in the head with his guitar and mayhem ensued as Turner tried to beat the shit outta kurt..Noveselic tore a board off the wall and went after Turner...good times.

hahahah! hell yeah VR! I would definitely have to add that Spiritualized tour to my best shows ever. Saw them at the Shelter in Detroit and I was close enough to J Spaceman to detune his guitar. It's also weird that you are the fourth person that I have met who was at that Trees show.
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Guinea Worms at Beerland Austin Tx sxsw 2007.!!
best thing i saw at sxsw.
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 12:33 am | Edited by: Alex C

Oblivians - Halloween in Memphis 2003
I can't believe it's been almost 10 years. I don't say too many things are a life changing experience, but that show definitely was.

Dead Moon - Leipzig 2006
I happened to be in Berlin and saw they were playing Leipzig so I hopped a train and went to the show. It was in this cavern-esque club and was amazing to see them in Europe. They broke up a month later.

Reatards - Chicago Blackout
Completely insane blast of punk, notable for Jay destroying the disco ball at the Empty Bottle.

The Deadly Snakes last two shows
The official last show at the Horseshoe, where they played every song, followed by the unofficial last show the next night at the Silver Dollar, which was much more intimate and a great party.

Gories reunion in Detroit in 2009
The Oblivians were good, the Gories, playing their first Detroit show in ages, were simply mind blowing. Witness this guy: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/4815_2219170652 02_7471152_n.jpg
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 10:21 am

guitar wolf
teengenerate
mummies
oblivians
the spits
eddy current supression ring
uv race
tyrades
reatards
vival'americandeathraymusic
judas priest
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 11:14 am | Edited by: eric o

Ahhh, greatest band you've seen live, not best live show. When you wake up the day of the show and you go... shit, Gibby Haynes is in town today! JOHN BRANNON IS HERE! HOLY SHIT! I CAN'T WAIT FOR TONIGHT!

Jesus Lizard
Laughing Hyenas
Human Eye
Nick Cave & Bad Seeds
Sonic Youth
Mudhoney
Dead Moon
Pterodactyls
Kajun SS
Royal Pendletons
King Louie One Man Band
Reatards
RL Burnside
Junior Kimbrough (either of 'em with Calvin Jackson on drums)
Compulsive Gamblers
Cramps
Butthole Surfers
Pere Ubu
Redd Kross
Gories
Quintron
Supercharger
Ooga Boogas
Teengenerate
Guitar Wolf
Willie Nelson
Buck Owens
Black Flag
68 Comeback
James Arthur Manhunt
Sun City Girls
Paul Burlison
Ramones
Dave Bartholomew
Classie Ballou
Tony Joe White
Pagans

Notable, stupid omissions: Minutemen, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, Sun Ra, Dwarves
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 12:34 pm | Edited by: eric o

add: Hickoids.

Omission: Boredoms
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Eric - no Johnny Paycheck?
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 2:13 pm

ok so if its "greatest band" Ive seen "live"
it would have to be the Banana Splits in some hotel in Chicago circa 1975.
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 3:10 pm

WOW. Would love to have seen the Banana Splits.

Johnny Paycheck is up there. I think that goes under "Greatest shows you've ever been to."
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Eric - no Johnny Paycheck?

No Eric Burden and the New Animals?
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 5:23 pm | Edited by: eric o

"Greatest Shows where Tyler leaves with rugburns on his nose" category!

Also- free casino shows ruled.
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 5:57 pm

My two cents...
Grandmaster Flash/ the Ramones/ UB springfest 1988- this is where the train left the station
Cynics/ Monomen /Lollipop/ Buffalo 1900- think I lugged some gear for Lollipop that night. Wasnt old enough to get in the club. A shitty upstairs S. Buffalo room. Only show I recall evae booked there.
Jesus Lizard/ Phleg camp/ Rivoli, Toronto, On 1990/ had just finished a final as had J.sinclair and he was driving... emtpy room. Band killed it. First time I saw Mac play drums.
Steel Pole Bathtub/ Superconducter/ Satyricon, Portland Or 1993/ Ah fuck... the volume.
Teengenerate/ the Action Family/ EJs, Portland, Or 1996/ Killer night. Met Bruce.
At this point I should point out that I saw Dead Moon 100+ times in this era and GBV over a dozen. They are rnr. Period.
Braniac/ Six Finger Sattelite/ Satyricon, Portland, Or Before Tim Died?/ This shit knocked my socks off. Still a bike messenger at this point. Not sure how I woke up the next morning.
My brain hurts... last Chicago Blackout. Watching Sabres playoff hockey w/ Jim Mc and the night w/ Khan BBQ and the Marked Men. And the Persuaders/ Oblivs and Quintron Saturday. Magical.
Since then--
Sadies
Mekons
Kurt Vile
Oh Sees
Negative Aproach
Davila 666
Deadly Snakes... the reunion night killed
Redd Kross
Charles Bradley
Clean
Ornette Coleman
Hopefully Fed X, sunday in Portland.
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 6:26 pm

the Banana Splits in some hotel in

are you sure that wasn't the Dickies?
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 7:53 pm

cosigned on Hickoids
and the Dwarves
and Dead Moon

also forgot: DEVO
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 9:24 pm

are you sure that wasnt the Dickies

in Chicago in 1975?

pretty sure they didnt exist, not in the way that dogs and lions and monkeys did that could rock n roll
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Actually the greatest band I have seen live was Black Sabbath 01/99 with the original lineup. Worst seats in the house. We had our backs up against the wall at the Target Center. One of the dudes I attended the show with pulled an El Duce a few years later, got all fucked up and was fatally hit by a train. I also saw RFTT in I believe '02.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 9:02 am

Memorable shows:
Cramps -Willimantic CT 1981
Screamin Jay Hawkins- Cambridge MA 1986?
GG Allin- Willimantic CT 1989
Charlie Feathers -Boston 1989?
Andre Williams-Sacramento 2000
Jerry Lee Lewis- Mansfield OH 2007?
Alex Chilton- Boston 1985
Sonny Burgess- Boston 1988?
Gibson Bros- Boston 1989
Arthur Lee- Cleveland 2005?
Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazelwood- Boston 1994?
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 9:34 am

Kajun SS as a 16 or 17 yr old blew my mind. MACGILLICUDDYS reunion this past Mardi gras was pretty fucking killer.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 10:32 am

"greatest band you've seen live"?

That's 2 different bands and 2 different shows. A total tie.

THE REDS in 2000 at the Las Vegas Shakedown. They played last, at 3am, in the downstairs Show Room at the Gold Coast Casino which was torn the fuck down shortly afterwards. From my mostly sober memory of the show they were supposed to go on at 3am but didn't go on until almost 3:30am. It wasn't technical difficulties, but rather they were on stage and couldn't find the sound person to turn the fucking power back on. Lots of waiting, getting pissed. It was 6:30am according to my body and brain back in Kalamazoo and I don't do that one drug that kills Belushis, Farleys, Entwhistles, and a Righteous Brother, so I was pretty fucking tired and so was everybody else. When the sound finally got turned back on The Reds were fucking pissed played a 20 minute set and I lost my fucking mind. They played all the 1:30 songs from their LPs, "Under Control" and later they covered "Riff Raff" and then it was fucking over.

That set was especially pleasant considering the sheer amount of tattoos, sleeveless jackets, chain wallets, pompadours, and Bettys. It was one of the most disgusting things that I've ever witnessed. I would always feel ashamed when we'd go to see a rock'n'roll show in Detroit and these people would be out drinking bottles of Bud (this is what these people drank before PBR became the chosen beer of shitbaggery) but this was the next level of the game. I should have known going into this, considering the list of bands, but c'mon. The crowd looked like what I would have imagined a Lollapalooza in Germany circa 1995 when The Brian Seltzer Water Orchestra played. FUCK.

HEAD at Gonerfest 4. It was our first Gonerfest, yeah I know we missed the crazy times when it was at The Bucc. But, HEAD. This is why you would come to one of these musical festivals. Lindsey and I will gladly drive 10 hours to see Head (plus the other bands at a show) but not fucking 32 hours to see them play a record store at 3pm for 20 minutes before an acoustic Mother Love Bone tribute band. We might do that now, thinking about it. Back to HEAD, stupid, simple, evil. The perfect combination of sub-Ramones and Angry Samoans filtered through 60s pop. I celebrate their entire catalog, it's one of those things, you make plans to finally see them after hearing their records for a decade and they delivered. And they were nervous as shit on the stage, got it together and figuratively punched babies in the head. Their new songs were just as creepy and believable. The only way the show would have been better was if The Giggles appeared with his dual necked Mosrite and he sang "I Ain't No Weak Tit" while I got a sensual massage and bag of fresh Crazy Bread while I sipped a Maudite. IMAGINE THE ALTERNATE REALITY WHERE HEAD PLAYED EVERY YEAR INSTEAD OF THEE OHHSEEEZZZZZ. Just imagine.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am

HEAD at Gonerfest 4. It was our first Gonerfest, yeah I know we missed the crazy times when it was at The Bucc. But, HEAD. This is why you would come to one of these musical festivals. Lindsey and I will gladly drive 10 hours to see Head (plus the other bands at a show) but not fucking 32 hours to see them play a record store at 3pm for 20 minutes before an acoustic Mother Love Bone tribute band. We might do that now, thinking about it. Back to HEAD, stupid, simple, evil. The perfect combination of sub-Ramones and Angry Samoans filtered through 60s pop. I celebrate their entire catalog, it's one of those things, you make plans to finally see them after hearing their records for a decade and they delivered. And they were nervous as shit on the stage, got it together and figuratively punched babies in the head. Their new songs were just as creepy and believable. The only way the show would have been better was if The Giggles appeared with his dual necked Mosrite and he sang "I Ain't No Weak Tit" while I got a sensual massage and bag of fresh Crazy Bread while I sipped a Maudite. IMAGINE THE ALTERNATE REALITY WHERE HEAD PLAYED EVERY YEAR INSTEAD OF THEE OHHSEEEZZZZZ. Just imagine.

That set ruled! I saw Quintron for the first time at GF4, which was an all-time mind-shattering moment as well.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 12:11 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Helios Creed
SLEEP
Nik Turners Space Ritual
Black Flag
Jesus Lizard
High on Fire
Makers
Teengenerate
Quintron
Butthole Surfers
Millions of Dead Cops
Headcoats
Lyres
Sugar Shack
Eyehategod
Mule
JFA
Grifters
God Bullies
Foreskin 500
ZEKE
Hawkwind
Fu Manchu
Lubricated Goat
Super Charger
Reatards
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 2:05 pm

My memory sucks.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 8:24 pm

In no specific order...
First time I saw Guitar Wolf (Maxwell's, Hoboken NJ, 1997)
Second time I saw the Raunch Hands (Coney Island High, NYC, late '98, a week after their set at Cavestomp)
HEAD at Gonerfest 2007 (the real reason I went to Gonerfest that year!)
New Bomb Turks (numerous)
Teengenerate reunion (Maxwell's, 2005). I totally flaked on seeing them in '95 then they broke up shortly after
Mummies reunions - all 3 East Coast 2009 shows (Maxwell's - 2 sets, Southpaw)
Finally getting to see the Oblivians (reunions in Detroit, NJ, NYC, Memphis). I totally flaked on seeing them on what wound up to be their last East Coast tour (early '97?) - I was home from college for my mother's birthday or something. Boo!
Headcoats/Headcoatees (Coney Island High, '99?). They played for 2.5 hours altogether!
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm

All those great shows when Dave G was booking at the Twilight. Standouts were the Tyrades and Marked Men (twice).

The Mummies at Cecila's wedding.
Zen Guerrilla all those times.
Makers vs. The Countbackwurds at the Purple Onion.
NOFX at the Nightbreak the day Jerry Garcia died.
Squeeze at Berkeley Greek Theatre on 3 hits of acid.
Rip Offs at the Purple Onion.
Trashwomen at Chris' house party.
The Donnas/Dukes of Hamburg in someone's basement.
The Spits at the Tonic.

My memory still sucks.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

i remember seeing the Rip Offs at the Purple Onion - great show but i thought they sounded like shit - i was really surprised when i got the singles and they were so fucking great

The Countbackwurds definitely put on one of the favorite sets i've ever seen - Peeping John was just brutal to the crowd - surprised he made it thru the night without getting his ass kicked (i guess he correctly surmised the rockabilly crowd was a bunch of pussies)
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 10:34 pm

^ Yeah, seeing notorious shit talkers The Makers and Countbackwurds on the same bill was epic. Giant band vs band brawl in the middle of the Makers set.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Steel Pole Bathtub/ Superconducter/ Satyricon, Portland Or 1993/ Ah fuck... the volume.

How many guitars on stage for Superconductor?

SteelPole was a standout for me too. I lived behind the Chameleon and was laying down to go to sleep and heard SPBT playing. I got up and hustled over there and they were blowing it up. Blew my mind on a Monday night.
Posted: Mar 23, 2013 11:57 pm | Edited by: eric o

First band for Gonerfest 10 announcement here. Why the fuck not.

HEAD
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 2:24 am

The Countbackwurds definitely put on one of the favorite sets i've ever seen - Peeping John was just brutal to the crowd

The Flakes in Benirdom, Spain were quite mind blowing (even if all you could hear clearly were the drums)
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 6:38 am | Edited by: muddy spear

HEAD

'mazing!
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 6:47 am

HEAD

!!
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 8:36 am

HEAD! Yes!
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Forgot about the Die Rotzz/Kajun SS Europe tour, insane!
And of course all the Fatals shows I've seen, especially the one @ Wrestling Baby Blast, Strassbourg.
The Cramps
the Mistreaters
Zen Guerrilla were always hitting it.
the Monks at the Wild Weekend, Spain.
Atari Teenage Riot @ Lowlands.
the Sonics @ Sjock.
David Bowie @ Werchter.
The Sex Pistols being thrown of stage with beer bottles in Denmark was a classic.
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm

cheap trick performing dream police with a full orchestra at the local casino's tiny theatre a couple years ago

leonard cohen at the chicago theatre in 2009. i was by myself and i was just in awe the entire time - it was spellbinding, transforming, sad, cute (!), more! He is just the best human being ever in the whole world. i just him again a week ago so i'm on a high all over again!

spiritualized every time but especially at turner hall in 2008. i was sobbing when they played shine a light. SO LOUD. BEST.

figgs at Endless Nameless in 2001 (basement show) at 3am. They played an all ages show here that night, then a bar show, then came back and played again after the bar show - they just played a bunch of kinks and who covers and it was the best!

nick cave at the chicago theatre! that was the first time i was ever at that theatre and first time i saw him - it's such a beautiful place.

cyndi lauper at pridefest in 2009. my husband and i just started dating and we biked down to the summerfest grounds to see her and we got really close and got really drunk and biked home and i fell off my bike!! and i was really embarrassed even though we had known eachother like 8 years already at that point.

mr.airplane man at GF7 was my favorite. but quintron then, too! oh yeah, STAAGS!

compulsive gamblers at blackout!

1st time i saw reigning sound in chicago in jan of 2001 or 02? i got pulled over on the way home and my friend had a j in his pocket and i was silently freaking out and i got speeding ticket! YES!

hue blanc's joyless ones in 2004 at some basement show in madison. it was so loud and they played forever and there were only red lights on. sexy.

again, Black Sunday at an even tinier basement here. it was summer and fucking hot as hell and alijca was going so nuts. and there were a lot of crust punks. moshing sweaty crust punks.

i like talking about shows.

tony joe in memphis! i went up and requested a song and he called me darlin'! he didn't play the song though.
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 9:37 pm

"Nirvana in '91...was memorable as it was the show at trees in Dallas when Kurt hit Turner (security dude) in the head with his guitar and mayhem ensued as Turner tried to beat the shit outta kurt..Noveselic tore a board off the wall and went after Turner...good times."

I was at this show!! Crazy!
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 10:23 pm

KISS
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 11:26 pm

I can't believe I forgot Dead Moon off of my list...they are #1. Best show was probably Cinci when I almost got in a fight with some catholic school boy skinhead shithead realy askin for it. But Fred broke a string and changed it mid song, nobody skipped a beat...maybe 7 or 8 people in attendance....Tooty's Acoustic amp blew a fuse....good times.
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Oh fuck yeah....Head!
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 3:06 am

HEAD

Best news ever.
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 8:19 am

I visited Portland the following year for some more rock'n'roll shenanigans. Was that NXNW, Ida?

Not sure. I didn't list Dead Moon, because I have seen them sooo many times (and I am one of those dummies with a Dead Moon tattoo) that I guess I didn't even think about it. Guess that was a big overlooked band...

Most of the bands listed above I have seen with the exception of Sun Ra. But that doesn't mean it was a favorite show. As stated above that seems to be more a mixture of the right people, music, place and band that creates the best show...
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 12:34 pm | Edited by: Craig Daniels

Cramps - Smell Of Female tour
Redd Kross - Neurotica tour
Motorhead - Orgasmatron tour
Transylvania 500 - All shows
Blues Explosion/Muffs - Extra Width/Muffs first album tour
Rollins Band - Lifetime tour
All these shows were in Toronto....
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 12:48 pm

^ Yeah, seeing notorious shit talkers The Makers and Countbackwurds on the same bill was epic. Giant band vs band brawl in the middle of the Makers set.

That sounds like almost every show at the Purple Onion for the first couple of years it was open. Although, Tom Guido was usually the one instigating things. Good times.

The only Makers show I remember there was one where it was past midnight and they still hadn't bothered to show up yet even though they were reportedly in town. I managed to get my money back (no small feat) and found something better to do.
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Oh shit, one more biggie I forgot:
Dirtbombs/Speedball Baby at CBGB's around the time of Horndog Fest album. By far the best of any Dirtbombs show I ever saw.
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Jeffrey Novak's One Man Band
King Khan & BBQ Show
Crash Worship
Boss Hog - Reunion Show
Flipper - Reunion Show
Motorhead
The Fall
Dead Moon, especially the first time
Helios Chrome
Screaming Trees
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Are we talkin' A Snog on the Rocks Head?
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

(...kidding...I hate that fucking band.) When was the last time Head played? Is this a just-for-Gonerfest reunion thing?
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 8:35 pm

I think they did something in Europe not to long ago.
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 10:44 pm

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Great stuff. I hope that sometimes in the future, I'm telepathically posting about the Manatees, Obnox, Puffy Ariollas show and some new Goner is going "Ohhh you son of a bitch....I just bought that Out For Booze reissue and would have killed to be there."
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 3:11 am

Ah, Mr Airplane Man, they were so good I ended up seeing 'em six times on their 2004 European tour.
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

Oblivians/Chrome Cranks/Bantam Rooster/T Model Ford/some other great bands... - Coney Island High, NYC. 1996. It was a CMJ showcase for Crypt/PCP/Fat Possum. I think, maybe(?) The Workdogs played too? Jon Spencer was definitely there with his wife and the rest of Boss Hog. I remember the Jonathan Fire Eater douchebags were posing hard in the audience that night.

Johnny Cash at Irving Plaza in 1996.

Laughing Hyenas a bunch of times

Jesus Lizard at Club Soda in Kzoo

Dirty Three at the Double Door in Chicago

Rev. John Wilkins at Gonerfest

Dead Moon about 75 times

The Hunches once outta 30 times

Mad Macha at the HiTone to about 9 people on a Tuesday

Shellac at Dagobah Square in Kzoo. It was hotter than the HiTone for The Gories/Oblivians reunion.

The Gories/Oblivians reunions in Memphis

The Cows at Club Soda

Guided By Voices in Allendale, MI. Bob Pollard kept challenging Russel Simmons (JSBX) to a fight. Simmons was drumming for Cibo Matto.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at the Metro in Chicago.

Guinea Worms at Gonerfest

Spider Bags/The Limes/Golden Boys at the Buc on a Sunday afternoon.
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 9:10 pm

I've seen some really really fun shows, but one of my favorites ever was the Clone Defects at the '06 Blackout.

That and Jonathan Richman at the HiTone where he insisted that all the AC were turned off. Talk about a sweaty, blur of a night.

and the Tearjerkers, and Preacher's Kids and Royal Pendletons. and and and How can you even pick one?
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

TIL goners are old.
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm | Edited by: Tim Teabag

Iron Maiden with Paul Dianno in 1981
ACDC with Bon Scott in 1977
Sky Cries Mary in Portland in 1997
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Aerosmith and kiss are pretty good, misfits, yeah, great
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 9:32 pm

DMBQ. The show at HiTone in front of thirty people was mind blowing.
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Played with them in Tokyo, about 2 or 3,000
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm

The show they played at the deli where Hank broke a pool cue on the stage and stuck it to one of the guys necks for hanging off the speaker monitor from the ceiling was also great. The show ended after that song. Thanks, Hank!
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 12:51 am

METALLICA!
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 11:12 am

The Nyarlothotep Ensemble at an outdoor fest on the Plateau of Leng. The improv was surreal.
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am

TIL goners are old.

So old, that we have no idea what TIL means.
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 11:48 am

I'm so old, that I can not only remember Urge Overkill, but actually remember when, for a year or two, they were one of the best live rock'n'roll bands around. And then...
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 12:54 pm

first time i saw Sonic Youth & Mudhoney in Ghent (1988)
Leaving Trains in Eeklo (1988)
Butthole Surfers, Thin White Rope, Cosmic Psychos, Rollins Band, Pixies on one bill (Futurama Deinze 1988)
Firehose, Hard-Ons, Bad Brains, Hoodoo Gurus (Futurama Deinze 1989)
Nirvana & Tad in Ghent (1989)
New Christs in Ghent (1989)
first time i saw Dead Moon in Eeklo (1991)
first time i saw Billy Childish w/ thee Headcoats (1991)
Oblivians, first time Andre Williams w/ countdowns, first time I saw the Reatards right after teenage hate came out (w/ the also great Persuaders in 4AD Diksmuide) and the 7-8 times i saw him after that with various bands, so much gigs, forget probably half of the greats right now.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®