Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Anyone up on Matthew Sweet?
Posted: Feb 2, 2013 3:02 pm

I've always liked "Girlfriend", but managed to never have heard anything else by him. I've bought a copy of "Blue Sky On Mars" that's sealed. I'm probably going to bust it open & spin it, but was wondering if anyone could recommend anything else by him?
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 8:17 am

Dude the Termbo and Burger scene hate Mathew Sweet. I hope you're not looking for coolness points...

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 8:31 am

He did the theme for the latest incarnation of Scooby Doo. I've always loved the Scooby Doo music, especially the incidental music, but I gotta pass on this one.
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 9:00 am

I hear the Girlfriend play or musical or whatever is good.
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 9:23 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Mathew Sweet is cool. It's a secret hand shake.

And it mostly has to do with Robert Quine being in his band.

If someone doesn't appreciate Robert Quine they don't know shit about punk in my book, equal parts guitar playing and cool bald sun glasses wearing lawyer.

But Mathew Sweet wrote great power pop songs, maybe he didn't know how to grow beyond that but put in context he was top notch. I also like Urge Overkill alot.

The Termbo and Burger scenesters keep me up to date on what's happening I guess, but I can't say I've ever learned anything from them.
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:09 am

A 19 year old girl from 1991 wants their musical taste back
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:45 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh yeah...well granted it's not Ty Segal or anything...bwhahahaha.

I can't believe this was 20 years ago...feels like yesterday. Back when Dennis Miller was a "liberal."
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:51 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Seeing as I was 13 at the time, I think 19 year old girls is what I had on the mind.
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 3:08 pm

And it mostly has to do with Robert Quine being in his band.

and Richard Lloyd.

I like Girlfriend. It's a great power-pop record though probably too wimpy for most Goners.

I haven't paid attention to him for a while, but the one after Girlfriend, Altered Beast, has some good moments. He's never really equaled GF, though.
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 4:30 pm

I haven't paid attention to him for a while, but the one after Girlfriend, Altered Beast, has some good moments.

Likewise In Reverse and the most recent one. (Modern Art, I think?)

Good in small doses. I will rep for "Devil With The Green Eyes."
Posted: Feb 5, 2013 8:53 am

Mullett, if you like Girlfriend, maybe you should check out Teenage Fanclub.

Around the time I was listening to this stuff, I discovered the Rhino New York Punk comp (pretty sure at Kmart or Walmart)...it took me a couple months to get into it, because at first glance the late 70's punk scene did not have the same sensibilities (except for Dead Boys).. But it didn't take to long reading Spin before I figured out that alot of those same musicians were in, touring, egineering the "alternative" bands I liked.
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 12:31 pm

What do "Termbo" and "Burger Records" have to do with each other?
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 12:58 pm

I really like his cover of the Speed Racer theme.
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 2:50 pm

everyone knows they're the same thing, Todd (word blips stuck in alienator's head)
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 3:37 pm

they're the same thing

kinda like "Wisconsin" and "cheese"
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 12:56 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

What does shaft and balls and my pants have to do with eachother you guys?
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 1:52 pm

you like to keep your pants on when you are servicing the shafts and balls of America's truckers?
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 1:59 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

You are stupid....my shaft and my balls are in my pants, and that's where you suck my dick you fucking Dischord Fat Wreck pop punk.
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 2:24 pm

Burger and Termbo are pretty good in my book, I was just baiting cry baby record nerds...and here we are.
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 2:55 pm

Don't even type to me jabronis!
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 4:38 pm

Without nanne, tigerblinds can only get a room with himself. It's just a feedback loop of tearful masturbation.
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 5:29 pm

You are stupid....my shaft and my balls are in my pants, and that's where you suck my dick you fucking Dischord Fat Wreck pop punk.

Matthew Sweet thread ending up like this=poetic justice.

Hated him them, hate him now.
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 6:10 pm

This thread is almost enough to make me come out of retirement.
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 7:47 pm

party!
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 8:00 am

Can anybody dig up the thread that had the comic "Adventures of a Power Pop Fag?"
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 9:35 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah comeback Riggler...when you retire you die.

Also, everything I've ever posted has been for cheap kicks and inside gags...maybe just I get them sometime, but frankly my entertainment is what the world is for. I think therefore I am and all that shit.

I mean take this thread for instance...if you can't see the inherent comedic value in my comments here, we are speaking a different language pure and simple.

No need to bring dead friends into this Rayultine...your Mom is a whore and your Dad drives slow.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 10:07 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Does anybody remember that band Jabroni Youth? I think they might have been kinda good, but I can't remember how I even know about them.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 1:44 pm

please go take a comedy course at your community college, alienator
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 1:50 pm

Wash your pussy, Beef.

Posted: Feb 8, 2013 2:05 pm

I'll punch you in the stomach so hard you shit blood you no good piece of garbage.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 3:06 pm

please somebody start a kickstarter to fly dingleberry out here with a camera so that he can meet me and real comedy can ensue.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 3:19 pm

Ah. Alienator. Ah. I understand now. Assburgers.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 3:29 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Mark Beef, Trickknee, I'll beat the fuck out of both of you with your nightlights.
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 5:34 pm

you need to work on your punchlines
Posted: Feb 10, 2013 12:42 am | Edited by: Mullett

Holy crap, kids... For me? I checked back on this thread when it was 4 posts old & I don't remember who posted what, but it was rather unflattering, so after my chuckle subsided, I thought I'd let it ride for a couple of days before I checked back. Now, I'm full-on fucking blushing!

Dude the Termbo and Burger scene hate Mathew Sweet. I hope you're not looking for coolness points...

This one's my 2nd favorite! Internet coolness points are all I have going on. I'm crushed. Also, what's Burger?

A 19 year old girl from 1991 wants their musical taste back

This one's my favorite! What can I say? I told a 15 yo girl when I was 15 yo that I was a Doors fan 'cause I was trying to fuck her. Life just isn't working out for me.

Mullett, if you like Girlfriend, maybe you should check out Teenage Fanclub.

You know, I never liked them. I tried, too, 'cause they were bigger 'n peanut butter, but I never like them & can't explain for the life of me how they got booked on SNL.

I haven't paid attention to him for a while, but the one after Girlfriend, Altered Beast, has some good moments. He's never really equaled GF, though.

Thank you. All I was really looking for. I got a sealed copy of "Blue Sky On Mars" that I'm willing to bet I can dish for more than what I paid for it.

Hated him them, hate him now.

Another reasonable response. Uncommon for this thread.

Enough to put me back into chatboard retirement. Apologies to Eric if I stop ordering from the Goner online store as a result.

No need to bring dead friends into this Rayultine...your Mom is a whore and your Dad drives slow.

This is good, but for some reason, I like it better if his dad's a whore & his mom drives slow.

Every once in a while, I don't mind singer/songwriter types. In the early 90s, when I was around the Ajax Records store, Girlfriend would get spun & I thought it was all right. It just happened to be the only thing I ever heard by him. Glad I asked.
Posted: Feb 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Also, what's Burger?

Great little label from Fullerton CA. They do vinyl and even cassettes. They have a ton of bands.
Posted: Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Ok I'll explain the joke. I never made any argument except that Mathew Sweet has some redeeming qualities and I may have inferred that Goner is #1. But you moronic Olympic aluminum medalists, have turned it into a flame war.

Over half of my comments on this thread were taken from the Iron Sheiks Facebook, because that's how you deal with thick-headed numbskulls.

I've always wondered how a bunch of stupid rednecks could turn skinhead culture (which as you know originated in Jamaica and came up with ska) into some white supremecy dogma. But over the years you fucking meat heads have given me first hand insight into record geek fascism. So go suck Hulk Hogans dick with Fox News on in the background you fascist turds. Try having an actual argument next time...okay? thanks.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 9:59 am

when you have to "explain" jokes that is the number one sign that shit aint funny
Posted: Feb 11, 2013 12:29 pm

skinhead culture (which as you know originated in Jamaica

Actually it originated in the UK, though the skins were definitely influenced by the rude boy subculture.
Posted: Feb 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Great little label from Fullerton CA. They do vinyl and even cassettes. They have a ton of bands.

That's great! I don't think it's a good idea to develop fetishes over formats, but I can't blame anyone for not buying a cassette. I would bet for a lot of people, though, playing a cassette would involve buying something with which to play it.

I just got a Vegetative State cassette. Only format in which they were selling it.

Over half of my comments on this thread were taken from the Iron Sheiks Facebook

That's fukkin' funny if it's true. I don't need any links or some page reprinted if it is. Your word is good enough for me if you respond to this.
Posted: Feb 12, 2013 7:17 am

when you have to "explain" jokes that is the number one sign that shit aint funny
exactly
Posted: Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am

I can't blame anyone for not buying a cassette

not only that, when they have a sale those Burger cassettes are JUST THREE DOLLARS!!!!
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

Actualy Finnark, Bob Marley was a skin...talk to some folks into classic ska, there are plenty of pics, the fashion and ethic all started in Jamaica.....it wound up in UK when so many Jamaican's migrated to UK looking for work, U-Roy went also.

No offence to legitimate gay people, but goddamn some of you guys are complete faggots.
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 12:05 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Some of you guys get so pissed off, for years you've been getting pissed off...it's funny as shit. It's like dog shit on my shoe, a minor annoyance. That's all I can say for some of you, dog shit on my shoe....so how about you fuck off or keep your shit to yourselves?
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 12:11 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Here you go in regards to skinhead stuff:

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/lizpunk/Skinheads.html

But yeah, do you all like feeling like you're living in fucking GroundHogs Day? I don't...don't you ever get sick of you're own bullshit? I get sick of my own bullshit, I get real sick of some of you're alls bullshit.

I mean if you have some big dreams or hidden agenda, it's 2013...don't you think you should come up with a new game plan? Fuck sake, by all means tell me if I'm getting in the way, I'll stand to the side...shoot for the stars you motherfuckers.
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Like I said, the skins were heavily influenced by the rude boys. I'm well aware of that, but they're not the same thing. And that website is not exactly, um, authoritative.
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 2:03 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

yes Im so pissed off
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you owe me at least 3 computer monitors and 5 smartphones since you have made me smash them in various violent ways

tell me more about your vast knowledge you have gleaned from wiki university
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 2:06 pm

oh and there was some Outrageous Cherry song I heard once that I thought was alright

Matty Sweet was in that right?
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

although really the Pooh Sticks are far better in this realm if you're asking me
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®