Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How many bands...
Posted: Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm

sound like the fucking black lips? I mean really? What the fuck is going on?
Posted: Dec 12, 2012 4:55 pm

i dont know any.
Posted: Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm

I can't think of a worse sound
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 9:29 am

uh...this has been going on for years. and i can think of MANY worse sounds, though ill admit a shabby imitation of black lips can be pretty hard to take.
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 10:46 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah, the band I saw this past weekend just dressed and acted like them, but they had electric violin and trumpets...not bad from a ska perspective.

It's fucking annoying the pop everyone is into these days...I fucking hate this bullshit underground music, every older guy I know who knows shit about music is annoyed by it also...all this bullshit fake soul, dumb ass garage pop it can all go to hell. Fucking Vice magazine man.

Not trying to rock the boat, I'm just being straight up..that shit sucks.
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

i am the cutting edge
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 1:04 pm | Edited by: R Holotrash

penises are the cutting edge
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Not trying to rock the boat, I'm just being straight up..that shit sucks.

Try listening to non U.S. rock/punk/ect....other then Austrailia...there's always neat stuff to discover
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm

i am the cutting edge
penises are the cutting edge

Bazooka Joe is a penis!
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 10:22 am

TOO MANY. WAY TOO FUCKING MANY.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 10:24 am

name names.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 11:07 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah, I'm not the cutting edge I feel like a dying breed....but I'm tired of all this music for young girls and bisexual boys in neon beach hats looking to score drugs...that shit is just gross. Fuck it for realez...

Try listening to non U.S. rock/punk/ect....other then Austrailia...there's always neat stuff to discover

Yeah when did the U.S. underground become so Euro trashy? For real. It's like you have too look to Bosnia for something interesting these days.

I'm not cutting edge, but I'm not a fucking idiot...the times are stupid and weird.

True, there always is neat new stuff to discover...only good thing about these modern times is that most anyone in that category needs someone to buy them a beer, and I'm happy to do it.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am

Man I tried to go with the flow...the last band I was in was so poppy they got compared to Hanson alot...then after a year I was like all this shit sucks....at some point the retards took over what's supposed to be relevant music.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 11:33 am

I'm not cutting edge, but I'm not a fucking idiot...the times are stupid and weird.

No, it's you Ted. You're living a lie and everybody's ON TO YOU.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 1:09 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

i dont know any.

name names.

should I keep going?
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Not that I want to suck Black Lips cock but its a drop in the bucket compared to bands playing much worse stuff and if you can't think of anything worse, you're either not thinking hard or just plain not thinking.

Also a drop in the bucket compared to bands in the 50's trying to sound like Elvis, 60's trying to sound like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and 70's trying to sound like the Ramones and on and on.

Fuck Vice? I don't care. More like fuck Flaming Wayne for working on the new Ke$ha album and NPR for swearing it's "relavant."

Another big fuck for me is all the alt-country/insurgent Americana/retro banjo bullshit that is far, far more prevalent in the Midwest at least from what I've seen.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 3:06 pm

guess i'm selling my banjo
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

guess i'm selling my banjo

If you've got one of the newer Scruggsomatic banjo models, I believe they fall outside of the retro banjo category. In which case, you are safe to keep on playing it until some other upstart ruins it for everyone about 20 years from now.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 3:43 pm

no, it's old, definately falls into the retrozone (retro-zone?)
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm

B - Wise move, you'll get top dollar for all retro-jos you can lay your hands on.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 7:26 pm

It's like you have too look to Bosnia for something interesting these days.

I recommend Pol-Am polka. One of the last American music scenes which hasn't been digested by the main stream. Shame on you guys for having any expectations and getting upset when there are too many bands which sound like the black lips crowding your scene.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm | Edited by: Record Shop Asshole

The Black Lips were fucking awesome all the way through Let It Bloom, which I still think is their best album. The problem is that most bands are ripping off the shitty albums after that, and the ones that are ripping off the solid Black Lips era (pre-2006) don't have any hooks or tunes. All they have is a bunch of reverb and treble.

But yeah, I know what you mean. Even a lot of stuff that ends up on year-end lists around here and similar places I'll listen to for half a song before putting it in the "Black Lips dumpster," which is pretty full these days.
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 9:23 pm

BOOMERANG!
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

You don't have to have a banjer in your band to suck...but it helps! Evidence: Sunford & Moms and Flogging Mommy on Austin City Limits now. Where's the remote / revolver?
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

TSOT?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®