Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Show that you regret missing for various lazy, dumb or stubborn reasons...
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Sun Ra in 1986, because I didn't want to be trapped with my dad and 2 of his odd friends for 38 hours.

Rats in PDX last year, because I was too sick to drive myself.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 1:09 pm

rip offs / teengenerate in vegas, mid-90s.

i was trying to be more responsible. look where that got me.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 1:11 pm

I saw both those bands back in the day, but saw the Rip-offs again at budget rock last year and just stood there and thought "man, I really like some stupid stuff... this is stupid"
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Beefheart, in 1980, cause they changed the venue at the last minute and I just moved here and the mystery venue was somewhere out of town and I thought: o well, fuck that shit.

Thank god it was a very VERY bad tour.
Still an awful lot of regrets though.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Nirvana & Mudhoney six months before Kurt offed himself. Yeah, seriously.

Also The Breeders w/ JSBX on JSBX's first tour
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm

The Ramones at the Fillmore in SF in 1989 -- last tour with Dee Dee
balked at the almost $20 ticked price - what an idiot

saw them a year later but with CJ - still awesome but damnit
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 2:41 pm

First: Oblivians, Maxwell's (Hoboken, NJ) Feb '98? I was home from college for the weekend for my mother's birthday. I didn't feel like borrowing my father's old 8-cylinder gas-guzzling shitbox to drive an hour to Hoboken (hmm... I could swear I had my own car at the time, maybe it was at the repair shop?) Figured I'd catch 'em on the next tour but didn't see 'em until '09 in Detroit.
Second: Teengenerate, Continental (NYC) summer '95 (or coulda been summer '96)? Didn't feel like driving to NYC for whatever reason. They played the Court Tavern soon after (with Los Primos!) but I was underage. Was that their last east coast appearance before...
Third: Dash/Dot or Dot/Dash 2005. Reatards reunion, Zodiac Killers last show (?) and Teengenerate reunion. Didn't go because I had tix to see Teengenerate the next night at Maxwell's and assumed they'd have the same bill.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Also, missed the Ramones at Coney Island High in early '96 because my friends and I didn't think about advanced tix. We thought it was just another in a long line of their "last tours"...
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Poison Idea/Fang/Verbal Abuse/somebody else @ the Dixie Tavern, 2005?
Pig wasn't touring with them, but damn.
Had to get up at 6 the next morning and commute 50 miles to work.

Strapping Fieldhands at GF7.
Had to put my kids to bed and got to the show late.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 5:33 pm

hubert sumlin cause i was lazy
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 6:14 pm

oblivians first reunion on halloween 2004. had tickets but the car broke down, was even ready to pawn my drums but the only pawn shop in our small town was closed that week.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 6:37 pm

feedtime and X, cause i was most of the country away from the show's
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 7:51 pm

i missed out on the trashmen back in '07 cuz i was super tired and had to work the next day. i missed Redd Kross last summer cuz i took to much ecstacy and couldn't make it out of the apartment.
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Minor Threat Salt Lake City 1983....at the university lunchroom...

10 hour drive each way...would have had to blow off two days of work...

derrr
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 9:17 pm | Edited by: Tim Teabag

Godflesh, PDX, 1997. Car was broken down and didn't want to walk seven blocks to see them. File under "lazy". GG Allin, Memphis, whatever year that was because I didn't know what I was missing.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 4:44 am

i didnt go to jesus & marychain Edinburgh 1985 cos i was still at school and broke. they'd only had the first single "Upside Down" out, but i'd heard live tapes with "Vegetable man and Jesus fuck" etc..and really wanted to go. My class mate went and said the doormen beat up the Reid brothers because the fans trashed the place.
I DID go to Sonic Youth, edinburgh 1986, but fell asleep after 2 great songs. Fuck knows how, it was really loud
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 8:59 am

I know guys..it sucks when you're only 13 and your parents just don't understand.

I already regret missing Gonerfest 9...but hey it wasn't my fault...
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 9:04 am

Me and my friends were cool 13 year olds too, I missed all kinds of legendary awesomeness...I realy should have told my parents to stuff it and sometimes I did....man, it sucked.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 9:23 am

i think when you were 13, the only thing you sucked was Jimmy Saville
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 9:28 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

You're a fruit dude Ritchie...anyway there was this legendary Oblivians show that happened in Baltimore or DC the night I was in a car headed to my new home in Dayton Ohio....Jack ripped a hole in his snare drum I was told and was playing with it on his head...that would have been awesome...
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 9:31 am

Iron Maiden '85 at the coliseum...huge snowstorm a day or 2 before the show and my dad refused to drive me as the streets were still fucked up.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 9:48 am

I already regret missing Gonerfest 9...but hey it wasn't my fault...

say what?
You posted while you were driving down there.

please elaborate!
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 9:54 am

I don't remember... I wasn't there.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 10:05 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I also had the opportunity to see Thee Headcoats in their prime, but my folks wouldn't let me go...but cool thing about Dayton is as soon as I got there in 95, Alien Lanes came out....not that anyone at my Highshool noticed but I did.

Ding I didn't make it to Gfest 9...I had reservations at two different hotels, but when one person flaked it threw our budget out of wack...since I had a friend coming into town to play Cropped Out fest, and Lantern and Slug Guts were playing...we just said fuck it and stayed here.....sucks, but worked out for the best...especially since it made it possible for me to get the new tires I desperately needed on my car.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am

pffft scaredy cat
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 10:19 am

I know guys..it sucks when you're only 13 and your parents just don't understand.

It look my parents a good 2 years to work out that "going to a show" didn't mean seeing a movie...

I think I lucked out as my dad was a beatnik and pretty much looked at me and said "yeah, you think you are different. Trying do that shit in the '50s and '60s and get back with me kid"
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am

I also had the opportunity to see Thee Headcoats in their prime

forgot about this one too, drove down to Chicago to see Thee Headcoatees on their last US tour at The Empty Bottle, got there too late and it was sold out*. That ride back to Milwaukee sucked.

*pre-Billiams era
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Ida, you had a beatnik Dad? I can imagine how that might be tough...thanks to this:

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Rats in PDX last year, because I was too sick to drive myself.

It was a great show. I was quite impressed that Fred and Toody wore the same outfits that they wore on the cover of "In a Desperate Red". Hoarding awesomeness.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Thee Headcoatees on their last US tour at The Empty Bottle

1997? the Chinese Millionaires opened for them. It was super awesome. We played the night before that in Green Bay with them, too. Two of us had to work on Friday and drove all night back to Michigan, worked, then drove back to Chicago to play.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 12:54 pm

half-assedly went to see GG Allin on 6th Street in SF - was about 1/2 an hour late and the show was way over and the cops had already cleared everyone out

and for stupidity - i drove two hours to see Black Flag at the Antenna Club on the Slip It In tour - wound up being 2 days late - don't know how the fuck that happened - at least Scream was playing that night -- they were good but I was super bummed that we missed Black Flag
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:22 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Thee Headcoatees on their last US tour at The Empty Bottle

1997? the Chinese Millionaires opened for them. It was super awesome.

HA, I was at that show! Mark, did you guys all wear red suits? I think I got there to see like the last three of your songs or something. Was there another opener?
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:26 pm

that had to have been it, 1997. Sucked!!
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:29 pm

i saw thee headcoats in 4/97 w/ the makers. i dug it. had the t shirt to prove it til my ma threw it out for no apparent reason.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Gibson Bros in DC at DC Space around 1989 the lineup with Jon Spencer and Christina. My friends were having a house party that I opted to go to. I don't know what I was thinking. I must have been feeling lonely or something. I never got another chance to see them. Giant regret.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Ahhh man...Leftpeg! Was Greg on that tour?
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:45 pm

greg was in '68 comeback, not gibson bros
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Thee Mighty Caesars reunion show at the Las Vegas Grind in 1999. I was going and planned on meeting a bunch of friends there, but I ended up getting into a fight with my ride's boyfriend just days before the trip. I could have still made it happen on short notice, but felt it was a sign to start getting my priorities in order. I realized spending drunken weekends seeing bands, even if one of them was one my favorite band's, shouldn't be at the top of my list anymore.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:50 pm

I realized spending drunken weekends seeing bands, even if one of them was one my favorite band's, shouldn't be at the top of my list anymore.

^ Heresy!!! ^
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Thee Mighty Caesars reunion show at the Las Vegas Grind in 1999.

It was as awesome as you might imagine. Their stage entrance alone was worth the price of admission. They came to the stage through the crowd on a chariot.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:57 pm

i saw thee headcoats in 4/97 w/ the makers.

Maybe it was Chinese Millionaires, Makers, Headcoats? That sounds right.

Also saw Headcoats w/ Headcoatees, a few years later at the Empty Bottle.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 2:07 pm | Edited by: ida slapter

It was a great show. I was quite impressed that Fred and Toody wore the same outfits that they wore on the cover of "In a Desperate Red". Hoarding awesomeness.

That has less to do with hoarding and more to do with luck. Fred has a thing about "lucky clothes" and "unlucky clothes" this is why you will see him wear the same thing over and over. Toody said he has a whole closet full of unlucky clothing...
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Ida, you had a beatnik Dad? I can imagine how that might be tough...thanks to this:

No. nothing like that. More like obsessive record collector / loner.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Thee Mighty Caesars reunion show at the Las Vegas Grind in 1999.

It was as awesome as you might imagine.

just popping by to doubbly rub it in
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 2:43 pm

White Mystery is probably the most recent one. All Gonerfests.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 3:08 pm

I regret missing Paul Wine Jones...he died six months later...I also missed Quintron once...I regret missing the after shows at last Gonerfest 8.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm

No. nothing like that. More like obsessive record collector / loner.

Jandek? I got my picture taken with him.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Jandek? Are you high??? That is taking 'loner' far past the normal range...
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Sam - yes, it was chinese millionaires, makers, headcoats in 97

I too was at the Headcoats/Headcoatees show a couple of years later. Kind of got in a tussle with some jackass that kept shoving around my friend's wife. I pushed him down really hard and when he got back up, Bruce F came over asking what was happening. I told him the guy was causing trouble and Bruce threw him out.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 4:00 pm

I missed the Cheater Slicks/Oblivians Halloween show because my boyfriend at the time thought he didn't need to buy tickets in advance. When he called the Hi-Tone the night of the show to try to buy tickets whoever answered the phone laughed.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Elvis when he played Ann Arbor in 1976.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I missed the Cheater Slicks/Oblivians Halloween show

Windy, Do you like the Cheater Slicks? I am trying to work out how many females on the entire planet like them and you would take my total up to whopping 2.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Iron Maiden '85 at the coliseum

OK here's a recap of what you missed. You missed an angry Bruce Dickinson telling the people on the main floor to beat the shit out of anyone they see throwing things at the stage as he had just been hit in the eye with a coin. On a relative note you missed Dee Snider and company go from denim rags to drag. You also missed the cops going around confiscating people's studded wristbands because they had suddenly decided they were weapons. A little sawed off african american cop came up to me and tried to get me to give him mine. I told him no and that it was ornamental clothing. He told me to leave if I wouldn't so I went out the door, took off the wristband, stuffed it in my pocket and went back in. Once I got back to my seat I strapped it right back on my wrist. You can't stop rock and roll. True story. A little local metal history there.
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Windy, Do you like the Cheater Slicks? I am trying to work out how many females on the entire planet like them and you would take my total up to whopping 2.

They're ok, I mostly wanted to see the Oblivians. I ended up seeing CS at some point later on & they didn't knock my socks off, but it was a fun crowd to be in.
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Lauren loves them.
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm

And Holly Morgan from the Headliners. Do you know her?
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm

THOSE AREN'T CHICKS, MAN!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Paddy - i was at that Scream show!

Ida - I'm a Cheater Slicks fan, so take it to 3!

I regret missing plenty of shows over the last two years, but have honestly seen enough incredible stuff to last a lifetime.
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 1:14 pm

i bet STEPH ANIE likes 'em
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 1:32 pm

THOSE AREN'T CHICKS, MAN!!!!!!
Lauren is my wife, so I'm going to have to disagree with you there.
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 2:03 pm

it's your kind that are keeping the gays down
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 2:42 pm

I missed the Cheater Slicks/Oblivians Halloween show

the night i met my wife i walked in to her room and saw a necessary evils poster on her wall, and if that wasn't enough we were hanging out in her room and "yer last record" randomly came on on her cd changer. i moved 3,000 miles to be with her 5 months later. it's an old story in these parts, but to answer your question...
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Jandek? Are you high??? That is taking 'loner' far past the normal range...

I posted it on FB...I was like Hey Jandek, "Can I get a picture with you"..and he half-whispered, "I don't do pictures"...and I was like "that's cool I understand, sorry about that"..and he was like "okay, we can do a picture"...and my friend quickly snapped it, and I was like "that's probbably blurry, but all the more appropriate, thanks."

So I guess he only does pictures when he is in the mood...since I have seen a couple pictures of him since his coming out....but man, he was freaking amazing live...he played with all local musicians...

Oh so your dad was kind of like Harvey Pekar? Kewl!
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 6:49 pm

i bet STEPH ANIE likes 'em

the louder the better, please. missed the 2nd night of stumblurfest cos my ears were still bleeding from the night before! there's a show i regret missing, but i was in a lot of hangover pain.

and crystal lake and asinglespark!
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm having a hard time coming up with good ones.

Maybe the "last" Guided by Voices show in Athens at the end of 2004?

ECSR when I first moved to Memphis?

I'm mostly bummed that I didn't go on more tours with one of the bands I used to be in. I missed out on shows with Oneida, The Meat Puppets, Levon Helm, Monotonix, and a bunch of other great stuff.

All in all, I've been able to see some pretty radical "thought it would never happen" shows, like My Bloody Valentine, Slum Village, Nirvana, The Breeders, Jay Reatard, Booker T, Stevie Wonder, Aphex Twin. I can die relatively happy.
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 8:50 pm

oh yeah... I feel like there was a sxsw where I didn't have patience to stand in line to see Alex Chilton.
Posted: Oct 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Misfits Earth AD line-up in Phoenix Summer of 1983...

Called ahead to the "Vans off the wall" store at Metrocenter to talk to Mark...who had a hotline on all the good shows and he tells me its totally NOT worth the 180 miles each way trip....that the Misfits are "horrible live"....

So I went to see Social Distortion a month later..."ommys little monster" line-up...and they were blown off the stage by Solient Green and JFA. SD spent 15 minutes playing and 45 minutes tuning.
Posted: Oct 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Monotonix

What a bunch of dick-sucking shitheads. They got all pissy when we played with then because they thought we got more money than them (we did, but they suck).

Actually, I don't know how they knew we got more money. I think they just thought they deserved more than they got.
Posted: Oct 13, 2012 10:14 pm

done some touring with them. they were always really nice. played with them in san antonio with jennifer whatsherface from royal trux. she did one of those fire-her-band-on-stage meltdowns. yowzas.
Posted: Oct 14, 2012 2:13 am

Posted: Oct 14, 2012 11:25 am

thanks for saving me the five seconds bro. A+ on internet usage for you
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 12:45 am

Lost Sounds first Chicago show. Only because this dude I played in a band with said they sounded like a shittier version of The Piranha's and were ripping them off. So in solidarity I didn't go for some reason.
Gauze in 97/96. Couldn't find a ride and I was phobic about taking a train to the city.
NeilYoung ever. I've decided the only band I ever want to see again is this old fuck and since I never pay to get into shows anymore I should just plop down the $$/$$$.
The upcoming KajunSS gig. They probably practiced over skype and it's going to be Louies lungs crumpling under the weight of his liver while singing...but it's KSS and Chads going to die soon from normality....
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 6:48 am

Gauze in 97/96

In Chicago? They must have played with a consistent balls-to-the-wall energy level for an hour; they outlasted the crowd which was totally embarrassing.
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 1:27 pm

The Gories in New Orleans earlier this summer, I guess. I don't really regret it though. Leaving the house is for chumps.
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I passed up Holly Golightly last Friday to go jam at a friends house and avoid Razor and because I got no sleep the night before....but I don't regret it, I had a fun time just the same.
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 7:21 pm

I thought of one!
Went to see the Registrators last SF show (had seen them a few times before, so I didn't REALLY miss out) at the Killowatt, 1997. I took an ecstasy pill for some stupid fucking reason on the way. I walked in the door, payed the cover, and tried to talk to about 3 people before I realized I could barely function. I sat down and felt like the barstool was melting out from underneath me. Left for some air...sat on somebody's stoop about a block away, and when after what seemed like a while, things just got more weird and intense, I got on the bus, became totally fascinated by a little kid eating potato chips, and went home. DUH!
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 8:39 am

That does suck...I was just telling someone how much I like that one Registrators record, the glossy black on black gatefold one...it was like they just kept building up to that record. I have it, but I haven't gone back and looked at the name yet...

Sadly, I've missed all kinds of shows in similar fashion...you do the best you can, life isn't a race, you win some you loose some....everyone builds a personal relationship with this stuff...more of it is just coincidence or chance than we want to admit....like when I saw RL Burnside and T Model Ford, I was real young, not even 21 yet, and I didn't realy have a personal relationship with the music like I do now, most of what I had heard was bullshit techno remixes...I could have just as easily said fuck it...

I realy regret never seeing Clone Defects...I wonder why the fuck I've never seen them and wound up seeing Greenhornes like 5 times....actually I know why, because they were one shitty city away from my shitty city, and they played a couple Festivals I was at...that and they were good, better than anything else that camp ever did...it realy felt like you had walked into a time warp....

At the end of the day you say fuck it man...what's the pits is when you are there rarin to go, and the fucking venue fucks it all up...that has happened more than a few times...
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 8:50 am

oh yeah i remember another one. real stupid. mistreaters + baseball furies played Tucson on tour in 2002... don't remember much about the show, only years later did I find the flier in a box... SNEAKY PINKS opened. Where was I and why don't I remember it? D'oh.
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 8:54 am

*our illegal French Canadian roadie girlfriend got pulled over immediately after leaving the club and got off on account of being cute and French Canadian, didn't even have to produce a driver's license (she didn't have one)
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am

Most of my regrets in this department are related to being totally fucking cheap. The worst instance of this occurred around 2003 or 2005, I can't remember which. I had scammed free tickets to Bone Thugz n Harmony because I worked at a record store. Unfortunately, after getting "ready", I got in and found there were no tickets. It was sold out, so I couldn't get tickets. All I could do is listen from outside the doors to how fun it sounded...very fun. And I still had to pay the valet. Total buzzkill
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 12:03 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I think The Ramones is the closest I ever got to a band of that stature...the Bones Thugs N Harmony stature...I'm pretty much a hipster I guess.

I take that back, I saw LIVE and they sucked, but PJ Harvey opening for them was cool...I didn't even have an opinion about her at the time, just another chance encounter.
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 1:12 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

Sneaky Pinks show was awesome if I am remembering correctly. Jhawg showed up with a tape deck and sound lame-oh was aghast. She was even more aghast during their performance. Flyer is epic bad times that caused the hipster elite in T town to cry for months. One lady even forced Jhawg to call her so she could bitch at him.

GREAT MEMORIES!!!
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 3:21 pm

We need neckerchiefs here...all of us.
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 3:32 pm

since i'm always making it a priority to see shows there's only a handful i've missed & really regretted.

but then i just end up seeing them the next time.
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 3:57 pm

I think that was one of the three SP shows where I "played" drums and keyboard cat.
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm

sound lame-oh was aghast

Has to be the Surly Wench pub...with the worst sound person of all time.

She got paid 100 dollars a show and did nothing but hit the "on" button...

Justin irritated that place a few times...
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 8:30 am

Jeez, I leave on vacation for 5 days and now I have found out that more than 4 females like the Cheater Slicks! What is the world coming too?!?!
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 5:53 pm

feedtime and X, cause i was most of the country away from the show's

That would've been something.

There's a couple more in Columbus, plus, if you ever run into Dana, remind him to tell you the story of when Shannon from Cows had a girlfriend that wanted to see them.

Leaving the house is for chumps.

Amen. Being social & doing things have value to me, of course, but ain't no place in the world I'd rather be then home with my wife. 7:05 am when my 'puter's booted up at work, I am on Yahoo Messenger telling my wife how much I'd rather be at home with her.

The best contribution I have to this is when I was working in Seattle during the summer of 2002. There were 3 interesting things happening on the same night & I was sitting in my hotel room wondering which one I was going to see. One was Solomon Burke, one was Trail Of The Dead (when I'd really partied with them a year before in Columbus) & the other was some crap I don't even remember. I blew it all off & hung out in the room.
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 7:04 pm

I think you can interchange 'Cows' with 'Cheaterslicks' in any of the above conversation.
I saw a Cows show at the Off Ramp that was so upsetting for the woman in the crowd that it was written about over and over for the next year in the local papers. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I think the singer pushed the face of one of the gals started Home Alive into his crotch and it all went down hill from there...
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 7:27 pm

i am missing the spits in teaneck, nj right now -- unfuckingbelievable -- i do kinda feel like shit and i gotta get up early and be a substitute teacher in a harlem middle school -- maybe they can come burn my car tonight
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

The Cramps at Sunset Junction...I went the the fest early in the day and los globos was setting up...ATE and ate and ate more then drank a bunch of beer and got bored and went home to do blow and get real drunk. Passed out and never woke up to the numerous phone calls and texts "where the hell are you and why aren't you at the Cramps show?" woke the next day and was fucking pissed. don't think they played another show. Still bummed. RIP Lux
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 9:36 pm

I think you can interchange 'Cows' with 'Cheaterslicks' in any of the above conversation.

Live I definitely remember enjoying the Cows more than the Cheater Slicks, but probably vice-versa on record. In general, I don't have a huge girl-boner for either.
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 9:44 pm

buck biloxi and james arthur's manhunt aftershow at the buccaneer for gf9
toxie outside at the buccaneer during gf9

goddamn other people
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 9:57 pm

if it's any help to you, james said that was the worst show that he's ever had any part in, the manhunt stuff, i mean.
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 10:33 pm

he did, but I'm sure it was great.

Regret missing every Minutemen show in LA when I was there. they played every week. Then d boon dies. Argh. RIP Denis.

Regret missing Sun Ra when he was around. RIP Sonny.

Pussy Galore at the Spirit.

Parliament/ Funkadelic at North Hall, too.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 12:14 am

Jeez, I leave on vacation for 5 days and now I have found out that more than 4 females like the Cheater Slicks!

Better make that 5. I'm here too.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 1:51 am

I smell an all female Cheater Slicks cover band in the making... "the Cheater Slickees?"
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 4:20 am

or Cheater Sluts
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 9:25 am

smell an all female Cheater Slicks cover band in the making... "the Cheater Slickees?"

I had a dream a couple of years ago about there being an all-girl Oblivians cover band call the No-Go's that dressed like the Go-Go's. This might say more about me than I am comfortable with...
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am

or Cheater Sluts

I have a new nickname for them. Good lookin' out.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 9:55 am

I kind of regret passing on the Arkestra, even thow Sun Ra was dead, but only for a little while at that point...

I saw The Woggles, I saw The A-Bones, thems was good bands, I count my blessings...

I regret missing out on The Dictators reunion, as well as The Real Kids Reunion....whatevers...you win some you loose some...
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 10:24 am

Cougar Slicks.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am

Real Kids Reunion

got to watch them play live at wfmu, alarm clocks too!
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 11:05 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah, I almost made it Vegas Grind (or Shakedown?) to see both of them, may have been consecutive years thow, but I never did make it...
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 11:26 am

The 2 Real Kids shows I saw both amazing... I really didn't think they could / would be so great. John Felice arms scared the shit out of me. That pretty much would make anyone not be a drug addict...
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Sic Alps tomorrow.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 3:37 pm | Edited by: eric o

Dictators in New Orleans in the mid 2000s was unreal. Levitation time.

I guess add Real Kids & Monks reunions. Pack, too?
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Dictators in New Orleans in the mid 2000s was unreal.

I was at that, it was great.
Posted: Oct 18, 2012 6:27 pm

doesn't really count since it wasn't my fault - but i tried to see Pussy Galore in SF - summer of 89 - and the damn Kennel Club wouldn't take my fake i.d. - worked everywhere else (rub on letters and some crafty whiteout on an Arkansas d.l. changing '68' to '65)
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 2:03 am

Zakary Thaks reunion @Ponderosa Stomp 2005. The bands were slated to start at 5 or 6pm. Zakary Thaks was one of the 1st bands of the nite's massive lineup. FUCKIN STOOPID-ASS time of day to watch bands. Missed 'em simply cuz I was at work and got there too late.

The Ramones '96 in Austin. My co-worker had an xtra ticket and offered it to me. Coulda went for FREE. Got sick wit a head-cold instead and was feeling like shit. The following Monday at work my generous, yet Ramones-ignorant, co-worker told me "it was GREAT...they started all their songs with 1-2-3-4!" It was The Ramones last tour.

Sir Douglas Quintet in San Antonio 1999. Was lazy about going to show. Blew it off. Figured they woulda perform again some other time. Wrong. Way wrong. Doug Sahm passed away a few months after. It was his last ever hometown appearance.

Poison Idea/Fang/Verbal Abuse/somebody else @ the Dixie Tavern, 2005? Pig wasn't touring with them, but damn.

Was at that. Wadn't that great. HOT AS HELL on a Monday nite. Dixie Tavern was dripping sweat from ceiling. Even tho crowd wasn't huge, humidity + heat = Swamp-Heat From Hell. Jerry A got so wasted he couldn't even do his trademark bark-vocals. Just kinda half-yelled songs. Plus skinn-hedz were there to prove somethin too. Almost took a few out. Almost. Quintron slammed during Fang w/ shrimp boots on. Blah.
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 4:56 am

Regret missing Country Teasers, glasgow mid 90's because i was in the band, but fell asleep on stage sitting on an amp.i woke up near the end and tried to play last few songs, but was still a bit drowsy. I forgot all about it until Ben kindly released it on Back to the Future, track 15: Axe Greenan.
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 9:50 am

LOL
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 11:18 am

gonna throw in for crystal lake here, she loves the 'slicks. she was just telling me about when her band played with 'em in columbus for tom and his wife's anniversary party (i think) around halloween a few years ago. also played with raven. she (crystal) was so excited to be playing with the cheater slicks she went up to introduce herself "hi, i'm megan, i've been emailing with you!) she forgot she was completely covered by her mr. peanut costume.
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 11:21 am

I was at that Poison Idea show too. RIP Dixie.
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Isn't there somebody on here who missed Woodstock? C'mon....
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 12:32 pm

it's shows you regret missing
Posted: Oct 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Jerry A got so wasted he couldn't even do his trademark bark-vocals. Just kinda half-yelled songs.

Heard the story of Chad saying "I've waited all my life to see you and you guys are playing like shit, get it together!" And then they did.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®