Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Blasters
Posted: Oct 4, 2012 11:35 pm

Listened to Marc Maron interview the lead songwriter today. It's pretty awesome.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_321_-_dave_alvin

I understand that they are ripping off bands that I should be into. I'll get into them, In the mean time there first album is really great.
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 12:17 am

I prefer the Beat Farmers
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 9:16 am

That s/t debut album is one of my favorites. Actually, Dave Alvin was the guitarist, his bro Phil is the singer.
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 11:05 am

blasters were great. my dad and uncles used to go see them at the country club in reseda alot in the early 80s, so i heard their tapes when i was a kid. phil really i a great singer. i finally got to see them play at the house of blues in vegas in either '02 or '03 and they killed! plus when i was pretty young the disney channel played this a lot:

and here's the orig if you've never heard it:

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 10:45 pm

Saw Bill Bateman w/ The Cramps on their last tour in '04 here in NOLA. Of all the times I saw The Cramps it was their best show. They absolutely rocked it that night.

Dave Alvin also rocks it good on The Flesh Eaters classic Minute To Pray A Second To Die LP.

Who needs The Stray Cunts when ya got The Blasters.
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 11:01 pm

That podcat was the first I'd ever heard of them. It was such a cool interview that I bought their first album via itunes. I was kind of confused at first. Alvin was talking about opening up for Black Flag in the interview! I was kinda expecting something more like The Cramps. I just kept listening and kinda fell in love with it. IF you love that band I implore you to listen to that interview. The first ten minutes is the host talking about his lost cat but when the interview starts....it's bad ass. So Dave doesn't sing? That's his brother singing? Gonna try to find that Flesh eaters.
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 11:05 pm

That Disney cartoon rules.
Posted: Oct 6, 2012 8:04 am

Blasters came through Memphis a few years back. A few years before that Dave came through playing guitar with the Knitters. Didn't go to the Blasters, but the Knitters were good.
Posted: Oct 6, 2012 12:35 pm

Non Fiction is arguably even better than the Blasters' first. Phil's first solo record is an interesting, strange ride as well.
Posted: Oct 6, 2012 5:03 pm

Your rec is good enough for me sir...purchasing.
Posted: Oct 6, 2012 9:14 pm

BBQ sauce rock. Couple tracks.
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 7:20 am

Cole-

If you can find the Beat Farmers "Tales of the New West" for cheap I'd go for it. Lots of covers but solid. Country Dick Montana was a rock and roll beast and a live legend and deserves the attention.... Dude died on stage mid-song...can't give more then that.
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 11:23 am | Edited by: Patrick D

I only have a best of collection by The Blasters - are their albums besides the debut (I have most tracks from it) any good?
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 1:48 pm

Its all pretty similar. I've only got the Streets of Fire sndtrck and its all I need
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 6:00 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Dave on The Beat Farmers:
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 6:13 pm

who needs the blasters when ya got the gun club... although I do like a few of their tunes...
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 6:36 pm

I need to check out the gun club.....damn you Goners! everytime I check the board it cost me money.
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah, I'm in. Beat Farmers rule as well.
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 6:41 pm

Beat Farmers rule as well.

yes, they do.
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 1:18 pm

Blasters WAY different than Gun Club.

For one thing, they were playing "roots" music all over LA for years and years.

Gun Club learned how to play their instruments on stage & JLP got his start as a critic.

I like 'em both, but the LA scene was incredibly varied. Shame it's pretty much dead now.
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 6:31 pm

Me and my friends loved these guys in the 80s when I was in Santa Barbara, though these days I think I prefer the Flat Duo Jets for my non-50s rockabilly fix. The first side of the first LP is my favorite, particularly Marie Marie, Border Radio, and American Music. I didn't get the 2nd one though Long White Cadillac is good.

I remember when they played the historic Lobero Theatre in SB and the place got so trashed that was the end of rock & roll at that venue. Also the site of my one and only stage dive.

These days the Blasters are basically Phil and a bunch of younger guys, though there was a reunion of all the originals in the mid-2000s which I unfortunately missed.
Posted: Oct 9, 2012 11:52 am

the Alvin Bros. still hate each other?
Posted: Oct 9, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm not sure that the Alvin Bros hatred is as strong these days. I know that a few months back Phil was laid up in the hospital, and on short notice Dave fronted the Blasters for a few gigs while he was away. And after Phil recovered they did a few guest appearances at each others' show.

However, I wonder if Phil still has a strong hatred for record labels
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 12:34 am

that was incredible. thanks!
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 8:36 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Someone needs to design a new record player, that's the ticket!
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 9:28 am

Cole, Dave sings too and has a solo career. His solo stuff is more singer songwriter-Y but good in places, lots of ballads. My wife hates his voice.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®