Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Music docs
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Been watching some lately....Your Gonna Miss Me, Last Days Here, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, The Filth and the Fury, and Kraftwerk and the Electronic Revolution.
I want to talk about the Kraftwerk one. It's not as much about them as you would think.It covers the whole kraughtrock thing. It's a weird one for me. It's very good and I generally liked it. It is British, three hour long, and drrryyyyy. Even though it was interesting, I would watch it going to bed and fall asleep within ten or fifteen minutes. It took me about two weeks to finish it. I bought this on dvd from amazon and I'll never watch it again. So it's up for trade. Any other music docs I should check out?
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Just watched Stones in Exile (2011) on Netflix last night and really enjoyed it! Bobby Keys easily steals the show here though and he's an awesome surprise!
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks! On vacation waiting for GF to get going.....fixing to watch that right now.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 2:27 pm

I second what Janderass says.

Also, I recommend The Passing Show: The Life and Music of Ronnie Lane. The version that they have on Netflix is the BBC broadcast version, which clocks in at 60 minutes. There is also a full length dvd version which is about 45 minutes longer, but 60 minutes seemed pretty satisfactory.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 3:11 pm

"Off the Charts : The Song-Poem Story " & "Louie Bluie"
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 3:12 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

Has anybody seen The Jonas Bros movie? Trapped in the closet is a pretty good tell all as well.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Joe Strummer movie is good.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 3:53 pm

watch the blowfly one!! its rad.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Stones in Exile was great. Thanks again.

Joe Strummer movie is good.
seen that one. Watching Joe hand out flyers was heartbreaking.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm

watch the blowfly one!! its rad.
Yes!

Also, I like the Gram Parsons one.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Watch Me Jumpstart - is great...for a GBV fan or not.
We Jam Econo - the Minutemen movie.
The Gits Movie - is fucking intense, tragic and beautiful.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Unknown Passage is fantastic. Two Headed Cow is a rough but great watch. And the Rush doc is really compelling even for a non- fan like myself. Going to see the Circle Jerks doc tonight. Availble on dvd but playing on the big screen here. Stoked.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 9:05 pm

-The Ramones - End of the Century is AMAZING!
-The MC5 - A True Testimonial is almost as good. Maybe better and that's saying a lot.
-The Tom Petty one rules.
-The Springsteen one called "The Promise" is really inspiring.
-Anvil movie is entertaining.
-Everyone tells me the new Bob Marley one is great, even if you're not a fan.
-I like those Jim Jarmush/Neil Young movies.
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 9:46 pm

The MC5 - A True Testimonial

This one I'll buy. Fascinated by their whole "White Panther Party" thing or whatever it was. Thanks.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:51 am

filth and the fury, theres a link wray doc you can get on dvd from netflix, the andre williams one is cool. theres a decent hank williams doc i forget the name of. they play an okay john lee hooker doc on tv sometimes too
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 2:04 am

Going to see the Circle Jerks doc tonight.

Seen half of it the other night... jam packed with really awesome footage I had not seen most of. Can't wait for the shocking conclusion!
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 8:22 am

Hit So Hard the Patty Schemel movie (Drummer for Hole) was pretty good and I am not a fan of Hole even a little bit.
Kill All Redneck Pricks: A documentary film about a band called KARP (not sure if it's on DVD / Netflix) but this is a great little music doc. even if you aren't a huge KARP fan.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 9:09 am

Liked Last Days Here. Not a documentary, but 32 Short Films about Glenn Gould was very good. Gimme Shelter is a classic. Beats Rhymes & Life (A Tribe Called Quest) was pretty great. I really enjoyed Rock the Bells.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

The BBC documentary on Tropicalia
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am

Gimme Shelter is a classic.
Maysles brothers, FTW!!!
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:32 am

X: The Unheard Music
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:50 am

The Wrecking Crew is fantastic and the MC5 doc for sure!
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:50 am

Beats Rhymes & Life

I want this. I saw those guys at the MTV Music and Sports Festival in Memphis years ago. I'm not really a hip hop fan but when It's really good I'll bite. Directed by Michael Rapaport!
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Will 2nd the MC5, X, GBV, Minutemen docs.
The Scott Walker one (30th Century Man) is great too.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:02 pm

What's up with that MC5 doc? It's not for sale anywhere. I found a page funding it but it seems to be over and they didn't raise the money.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:15 pm | Edited by: Tim Teabag

This Is Spinal Tap

best music documentary ever
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Wheedle's Groove was great.
I second the Scott Walker movie.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 1:17 pm

What's up with that MC5 doc? It's not for sale anywhere. I found a page funding it but it seems to be over and they didn't raise the money.

Its a long story. The short version is that Wayne Kramer is a dick. Look on ebay for a bootleg version. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC5-True-Testimonial-DVD-documentary-Rare-Stoo ges-Iggy-Pop-Wayne-Kramer-Must-See-/130771448730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 &hash=item1e7295f39a
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

That'll work! Thanks AndyB.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

i will send you a free copy if you havent already ordered...
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 4:02 pm

ordered it....but thanks Brad....really cool of you to offer.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 6:53 pm

shit i am just sorry i didnt read this thread a few hours earlier today i coulda saved you some money. some bootleggers i dont mind but someone selling bootleg DVD-Rs on ebay for 1000% profit or more is kind of disgusting, especially when the movie is freely available as a torrent download.
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 10:05 pm

I'll second "End of the Century" and "Unknown Passages" - both of those were pretty great. If you haven't seen "Heavy Metal in Baghdad," you should.

Not a documentary, just a grainy live show, but still - "The Cramps Live at Napa State Mental Hospital" is crucial.

"Wrecking Crew" and "Better Than Something" have been on my to-do list, but seems neither is out on dvd yet?
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 7:08 am

I though the Minutemen doc kinda sucked. The live footage and Mike Watt driving around was cool, as was the Meltzer part, but all the d-bag talking head stuff was pretty weak. Giving the Sacchatine Trust guy so much face time was cool.

Watched the Band That Would Be King with Eric a few weeks back. I had owned it for 10+ years and never watched it. In contrast to the Minutemen doc, I thought all the personal interviews were pretty good, esp. Cosloy and Coley. Cosloy's hyperbolic praise is perfect, Coley betrays himself as a total weirdo. Penn Jilette actually comes off as not a total dickwad. It spends too much time on the Fire in the Sky recording and not enough on the history though. I'll lend it to you Cole.
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 9:12 am

is the real kids doc any good, and is there any way to get it?
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

The world needs a BOC doc, I'm gonna start a kickstarter campaign.
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 11:00 am

shit i am just sorry i didnt read this thread a few hours earlier today i coulda saved you some money. some bootleggers i dont mind but someone selling bootleg DVD-Rs on ebay for 1000% profit or more is kind of disgusting, especially when the movie is freely available as a torrent download.

I'm with you Brad. the trials and tribulations of this film ("A True Testimonial") are a damn shame. the fact is it's one of the best music docs made. one of its backers engaged in a 6 month quest to squeeze $$$ out of fans to get a proper release, which hasn't happened yet, and he never did account for the money he collected.

all in all it's a shitty testimonial to a great band and a good film.
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 11:01 am

Cole, assume you have seen the Funk Bros. doc, "Standing in the Shadows..." which is only ruined by the too many live performance "tributes" included
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 11:17 am

Second the Ronnie Lane doc. The Pentagram one, Last Dayz Here, is worth watching and I really liked the Phil Ochs doc as well.
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Funk Bros. doc, "Standing in the Shadows..."

I don't even know who the Funk Bros are. I will find out!
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm

I would love to see that Half Japanese doc as well Sam....you want to watch that Kraftwerk one?
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 6:15 pm

The Wrecking Crew doc is a great one. The Night James Brown Saved Boston is another.
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 9:35 am

Last Days Here

I couldn't believe how depressing this was & I know he turned out OK. This film could easily be a PSA to keep kids off drugs. Don't high schoolers have to take a health class anymore? Show that to them one day.

Many mentioned here are fantastic, but my favorite one as of late has been The Ballad Of Mott The Hoople. For those really interested in Ian Hunter, he's playing the Beachland Ballroom tonight.
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Pardon Us for Living but the graveyard is full - Fleshtones doc.

currently on Amazon instant
Posted: Sep 28, 2012 5:39 pm | Edited by: kathleen hannah

Hafta say that the documentary Limelight was positively fascinating. get past the artiness (ala Tyson doc.) and there's one hell of a story there. pairs well w. a re-watching of Party Monster.

The Agony and Ecstasy of Shaun Ryder BBC doc is also terribly enjoyable if you like watching living trainwrexinefx. Here, I'll cue up the first part for you...

Last Days Here was indeed good viewing. Glad I stuck with it...was horrified by his lesions as much as I was with the assmunching hanger-on that was his "manager". Would defs. be down to party with his parents, tho.
Posted: Sep 28, 2012 5:47 pm | Edited by: kathleen hannah

Jeers:

I found the feature-length jay reatard doc colossally disappointing. thought the 20minute joint that was it's pre-cursor to be far more interesting.

the Tribe Called Quest doc? bullshit. boring. actually made me appreciate their music less. how'd that happen?

but what do I know. I like the Happy Mondays.

Suck it.
Posted: Oct 4, 2012 11:11 pm

The MC5 - A True Testimonial

This is so great. Thanks for the tip.
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 12:27 pm

Cole, the "extras" that were to be on the DVD are even better. lots of sync'd performances, most of which you can catch on YouTube now.

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 11:26 pm

Jesse, I think the bootleg copy of the DVD that Andy pointed me to has all that stuff. I'm fixing to start checking it out now. I appreciate Brad, he's a super cool guy for offering, but as someone who doesn't use torrent....dude seems to have went the extra mile when bootlegging it. Artwork and everything.
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 12:55 am

that LOOKING AT YOU footage is fuckin killer
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 1:00 am

cool, cole, make me a copy of the dvd if you can!!! i will trade you a record for it.
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 1:03 am

i would like to see all the extras, i only have the doc itself.
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 1:14 pm

the bootlegs have the extras, usually. there's performances and extended interviews.

it's unfortunate that the parties can't get it together enough for a legit release, but the surviving members (down to the MC2) were never that enamored of the film.

i was pretty surprised (esp. after seeing it on the big screen) to hear that the filmmakers hadn't even licensed the music used in the film.

If you're interested, here's one side of the story: http://detroittango.typepad.com/mc5truetestimonial/2011/06/04.html
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 2:48 pm

This one just came out recently.

"East End Babylon: The Story of the Cockney Rejects"

http://vimeo.com/42654401
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 2:49 pm

There's a website too:
http://www.eastendbabylon.co.uk/
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 9:24 pm

Anita O'Day - Life of a Jazz Singer
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 9:49 pm

That new "marley" doc is actually really good. A bit too long, but really well done.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 9:04 am

havent read the whole thread in a while so i dont know if its been mentioned, but i just watched "last days here," about bobby liebling from pentagram. it was pretty good. made me want to get all the old pentagram records.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 9:42 am

I did buy pentagram records from watching that doc. I don't regret it a bit. Solid doom metal. Bobby Liebling is a fucked up dude...but musically, he brings it.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 9:52 am

Not a doc, but interested in what folks think of "What We Do Is Secret" the Germs film. I don't think it's a good film.....but I did enjoy it...It's a film about the Germs, I just think it's cool someone made it. After a lot of wiki shit it seems that the Germs did a reunion with the actor from the film doing vocals. That's fucked up and wrong......but....I would probably go see it.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 9:57 am

Oh, and Brad, I don't really know how. Hit me up on facebook telling me how or I'll just send that MC5 bootleg to you...I've watched it three times...I loved it, but I'm done with it. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to tech.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 11:34 am

I saw the Germs movie but ended up walking out before it was over. It wasn't very deep. The performances were just OK but had a hollow ring. At least it was better than the Runaways movie, which I also didn't make it to the end of.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 4:50 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

I saw "I'm Still Here" a bit ago...funny, strange and dumb. worth a watch on a slow saturday afternoon...seems like Joaquin Phoenix went a bit nutso in this movie. I heard it's a hoax.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 10:47 pm

that germs movie was t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e. felt like i was watching a made for tv movie. "Another State of Mind" was pretty great. At least when i was younger - wonder how i'd view in my 30's? Still worth watching if only for Mike Ness's make-up tips:

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 10:49 pm

Also - i remember being really impressed with New York Doll - a doc on Arthur Killer Kane. Super touching but also pretty fucking depressing. Sort of in the same vein as the Roky doc. Very, very well done...
Posted: Nov 10, 2012 3:56 am

that germs movie was t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e.

It was. I just give shit a pass sometimes because it's about something I'm really into.

Also - i remember being really impressed with New York Doll

That was really good. I saw it on Netflix. Wow...a lot of these music docs are depressing. There's one on Netflix about the Hole drummer....it looks depressing.....I might watch it.
Posted: Nov 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Watched the Hole drummer one... not as depressing as it should have been. She's pretty rad, even if she was a junkie. And no mention of Tad. Note: I know and care nothing about Hole, other than car crash curiosity.
Posted: Nov 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Nothing is better than "A Hard Day's Night"
Posted: Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am

Watched the Circle Jerks doc, its pretty good. Forgot how goofy they were in the late 80's early 90's. Lots of grainy vhs footage.
Posted: Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am

Oh yeah, Cole, I sent the Half Japanese doc earlier this week.
Posted: Nov 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Note: I know and care nothing about Hole, other than car crash curiosity.
I bought their first single on Sympathy. True story.
Posted: Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm | Edited by: Patrick D

Fugazi "Instrument" is great, even if you don't like the band. Really well done. Worth watching if only for the "ice cream eating motherfucker" part.
Posted: Nov 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Fugazi "Instrument" is great,

Holy Shit! How have I not seen that! On it.

Oh yeah, Cole, I sent the Half Japanese doc earlier this week.

Got it Sam. Thanks! Sending you something back.
Posted: Nov 15, 2012 12:41 am

Dead Moon - Unknown Passage
Incredibly awesome and inspiring.
Posted: Nov 17, 2012 1:14 am

cole man, this dvd is just too much!

"we were the runaway sons of a nuclear a bomb, not iggy pop, faggot!!!"

-dennis "machine gun" thompson

this has been my favorite music documentary for years and seeing these bonus features for the first time is mind blowing.
Posted: Nov 17, 2012 1:16 am

"make your next movie about iggy pop and the stooges. they couldnt even play their instruments. raw power? blow me"

-dennis "machine gun" thompson
Posted: Nov 17, 2012 1:30 am

"from 1958 on, Elvis was a square. he had no socially redeeming qualities, whatsoever, yet he is considered a revolutionary figure? horseshit."

-john sinclair
Posted: Mar 3, 2013 11:26 pm

Did anybody see the Brill Building documentary narrated by John Turturro? If you can ignore a few minutes of Neal Sedaka stuff, it's great. Apparently made in 1999, so there are interviews with lots of writers and performers who have since passed on. Why doesn't this show up on IMDB? Beware, there may be an alternate version of the movie with a different narrator and possibly other changes.
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 8:38 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Ramones,
Dead Moon,
Billy Childish,
Minutemen docs
all well done.

The Angry Samoans doc isn't even a real doc, but it's pretty funny in hindsight. All you realy learn as far as history of the band is that Metal Mike tours with a jar of peanut butter in his crotch, rather than stopping for food.
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 3:06 pm

"Another State of Mind" was pretty great."

I dug it too growing up. Extra points for the filmmakers releasing it while the HC scene was still happening. Shaun Stern was as earnest as Mike Ness was self-destructive.
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 4:03 pm

What's Up, Fatlip.
Tad doc.
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 6:02 pm

Kill All Redneck Pricks: A documentary film about a band called KARP
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 8:38 pm

Has anyone seen "A Band Called. Death". Looks great.
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 12:16 pm

The Love Documentary is great. Has one of the last interviews Arthur Lee would give.

Endless Harmony is the best doc about the Beach Boys.

Teen A Go Go, a look at the Fort Worth 60's bands is beyond excellent. Also the three volumes of Fort Worth rock on Norton should be owned by you all.
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

The Sound City doc is actually pretty good, even though I had to fast forward thru some of the mccartney performance.
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Watched Color Me Obsessed (Replacements) a couple of days ago. The director chose to include no music, interviews or even pictures of the band and it works OK. Its all stories from fans, producers and other bands.

Which bands have not been documented yet? Where's the K-Doe movie?
Posted: Mar 31, 2013 3:42 pm

Posted: Mar 31, 2013 8:00 pm

is this thing out yet?
Posted: Mar 31, 2013 9:38 pm

I finally watched the Bob Marley documentary and it blew my fucking mind! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Posted: Apr 1, 2013 2:38 pm

Teen A Go Go, a look at the Fort Worth 60's bands is beyond excellent.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just added it to my Netflix instant watch queue.
Posted: Apr 1, 2013 7:01 pm

And no mention of Tad.

Not cool...in any situation.

What's Up, Fatlip.
Tad doc.

Wait. Wha? That's a thing? Did they interview my friend Jeff, who was watching the Melvins when Tad walked up beside him, leaned over and vomited on the floor, looked at Jeff and said, "Bad Thai food.".
Posted: Apr 1, 2013 10:11 pm

Desperate Man Blues: Weirdo 78 collector Joe Bussard plays records and denounces all music made after WWII.

Piano Players Rarely Ever Play Together: Professor Longhair, Tuts Washington and Allen Toussaint practice for a 3 man piano concert.

Beware of Mr. (Ginger) Baker: Have not seen it yet but the trailer looks fun.
Posted: Apr 4, 2013 4:50 pm

The Teen A Go Go doc has been out for a while now.
Posted: Apr 4, 2013 8:36 pm

WHO IS HARRY NILLSON?
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 6:56 am

I found a download of the Sound City doc and enjoyed it. Nothing obscure about it, but was a good watch.
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 1:16 pm

It looks like there might be a few good ones here.
http://www.fandor.com/movie-genres/music-films-265
Posted: Apr 6, 2013 5:32 am

The Arthur Kane film, New York Doll, was surprisingly great
Posted: Apr 6, 2013 12:42 pm

Somehow I wound up watching the whole thing:

Guilty or not? Who knows. But the fucker IS a psycho. This cannot be disputed.
Posted: Apr 6, 2013 1:46 pm

Until the Light Takes Us
Posted: Apr 6, 2013 3:42 pm

America's Lost Band, about the Remains.
Posted: Apr 6, 2013 7:34 pm

Until the Light Takes Us

Man, I thought this movie was boring. I was totally psyched to watch it, too. I don't guess there's much to add beyond Lords of Chaos but this movie just played like a dry rehash of that. With a lot of footage of Fenriz walking around, looking bored. That one guy's art really sucked, too.
Posted: Apr 6, 2013 7:39 pm

Hit So Hard

I second this one. Watched it under Eric's recommendation (who knew he was a HUGE Hole fan) and was pleasantly surprised. For fans of: trainwrecks.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®