Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Facebook Drama...In the Red records and Scion and Lucky Lacquers
Posted: Aug 1, 2012 5:18 pm

Dave from Lucky Lacquers "FUCK SCION and Fuck Larry and In The Red records. Next time you buy a record from In The Red and Larry Hardy. Just remember he is pretty much in bed with the SCION people or Beyond Marketing Group, who probably fund him as well, and who tried to rip me off for $4000 worth of work, playing their corporate stonewalling games, in attempt to flake on their invoices for almost 6 months. Marketing places like that go out of business over night, so imagine the fear I had for 6 months while I battled for my payment. Then Larry, who is in the same room as them, rips me off on a $1500 deal, that I am completely out on now. Made a trade and he never paid up. While he continued to lie to me for FOUR months about sending me more work, over and over and over. Every other week, Larry would send me another email telling me he had a stack of work coming my way that never showed up....maybe I'll post the emails later. There are DOZENS of them...What a liar. Why waste my time like that (passive aggressive worm maybe)? Especially while I am saving spot on my client list for him! Yes, it is actually an effort for me and even a strain on my family to keep a door opened for FOUR months, like that. And now, almost a year later, now he wants me to try to dig up digital masters I did, so he can have someone else do the cutting. This is why you keep your shit straight assholes. Wont be lifting a finger for assholes like you Larry, until payment is made in advance next time, IF I even help you. Because I shouldn't do a thing for you at all really, you pathetic little fuck. You dont even have the balls to call me and be straight-up like a man. Oh, and your mom called and she wants her glasses back. Fuck SCION and fuck In The Red. Bands, be sure that if you see a SCION logo on your Flyer, that you are getting a piece of the $5,000 that the band is getting, who put that logo on YOUR show flyer! Better yet, don't play for SCION. You can do better and dont believe a word out of Larry Hardy's mouth, he's a lying little worm."
Posted: Aug 1, 2012 8:55 pm

No one loves a good dramatic shit show as much as this observer. Hopefully we haven't heard the last of this public airing of grievances.
Posted: Aug 1, 2012 11:15 pm

Lucky Dude was a bit wound up whilst we were reviewing the TSOT test presses. Might not be the best at customer relations.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 2:34 am

buddy holly called and he wants larrys moms glasses back. oh yeah, he also said "cuckoo daddy longlegs"
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 9:52 am

Bands, be sure that if you see a SCION logo on your Flyer, that you are getting a piece of the $5,000 that the band is getting

i am not understand.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 9:53 am

wow, this is at the top?

r.i.p. crucial dude thread, etc.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 11:28 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Interesting I guess...What is the deal with Scion? I mean besides making my car, which I'm very happy with, at their plant five years ago...and also dabbling in some pretty quality garage rock....I mean what gives here?

I could give a shit about the record pressing side of it. Who is this guy? Never heard of his company...haven't been paying attention to mastering/pressing lately.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 12:02 pm

I test drove a Scion. It drove okay, but didn't have cruise control and looked like a toaster.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 1:20 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

True...I had the car dealer install cruise control before I drove it off the lot. It's like 250 to install cruise control on most cars.

Scion's actually are popular with several garage rockers I know.

And yes it is the official car of the vinyl enthusiast.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 1:40 pm

Bands, be sure that if you see a SCION logo on your Flyer, that you are getting a piece of the $5,000 that the band is getting

i am not understand.

i think this is a typo..it should read "the $5,000 that the venue/promoter is getting"

Scion will "sponsor" your show if you follow their promotion guidelines...logo on the flyer, scion literature at venue, scion banner, etc...but it is always around $500 not $5,000..and they will not pay if things aren't done to their specifications like changing the color of the scion logo. You can do all of the other shit, but they will look for one little thing that voids the agreement. This guy is being a little melodramatic about the Scion thing.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 2:57 pm

Can't believe this shit Mark.
Always known Larry as the only really decent guy in the bizz.

But on the other hand: when I saw that pic showing Larry and Greg O shaking hands on that new Oblivians album deal, I hardly recognized him. He looked like a tv faggot from Miami Vice.
He used to look really modest, kinda in a 'I'm not here' way.

But since the label has gone really bad since Long Gone John quit I don't know what to think anymore.

He was the only person, THE ONLY PERSON!!! who tried to help me out when I tried to move to America. He just didn't offer me his gardenshed. It was impossible to explain to him what problems his offer to just up and leave and come to LA would cause me.

Still, the rest of all the folks on Termbo said: why the fuck do you wanna come to America?
Any help or suggestions from any of those fuckers? No.

I don't like ITR as a label anymore, but I'll never forget how good Larry has been to me in the past.

I'll ask someone close if he's gone bad, but I already know the answer:
'what the hell are you talking about'.
And then I'll refer to your post above.
Cause if you're right, then you're right.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:02 pm

I'll never forget how good Larry has been to me in the past.

He looked like a tv faggot from Miami Vice.

classy!
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:03 pm

shut up cunt
you need coke to be a real human again
loser
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:08 pm

you shut up, stupid!
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:11 pm | Edited by: Ding Le Dangle

I really do hope sixteen has left you by now
I can not believe such a lovely lady being dickheaded by you, and since I'm a writer I am supposed to be able to imagine every horrible affair.
Jesus man. You're the biggest degenerate I have ever known in my life.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:13 pm

um I have no knowledge of Larry being a bad guy or a good guy. All I know about the dude is he runs a label that puts out alot of great records. And yes that's present tense

Long Gone John was involved with ITR?
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:17 pm

Long Gone John was involved with ITR?

I'm a writer I am supposed to be able to imagine every horrible affair.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:21 pm

Larry is a good guy.

But LGJ's competetion with ITR was somehow a fun inspiration for Larry.
And yes, he released loads of great records. And I got 'm all.
But the last years it's kinda shitty what he puts out.

That's because of the bands being shitty.
| just wish he refused to release all that buuuuuuullllllllllllllllshit (Willie D accent)
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:25 pm

Give it up, BJ
I loath you too much to be offended by you.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:30 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:39 pm

weak
very, VERY weak
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:40 pm

I liked Thee Cormans album
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:43 pm

biker bitch single is top notch
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:44 pm | Edited by: Ding Le Dangle

Cormans?

Hm, yeah, heard it, didn't think it was bad at all, it's just a record I'd never put on cause it aint my thing,
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:46 pm

I liked Thee Cormans album

100% ITR skull fuckery!
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:48 pm

Cormans?

Hm, yeah, heard it, didn't think it was bad at all, it's just a record I'd never put on cause it aint my thing,

then you never did like the label. you're stupid!
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 3:49 pm | Edited by: Ding Le Dangle

BJ: 'you don't need to wash it and I aint gonna squash it Larry'.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 5:53 pm

when I saw that pic showing Larry and Greg O shaking hands on that new Oblivians album deal, I hardly recognized him. He looked like a tv faggot from Miami Vice.

Hey Nanne!How's it going?

My look is exactly the same as it always has been. Maybe more wrinkles and grey hairs. I think it may be the addition of my mom's glasses since you last saw me that made me unrecognizable in that photo.

I heard about your recent accident which sounded scary as fuck. I hope you're doing okay.

To the best of my knowledge I haven't gone bad. Sorry you don't like my records anymore. I must try harder!
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 8:19 pm

A T.S.O.T. Double Gatefold picture disc would be a start... Maybe ala Tres Hombres but with a Payne's/Cozy colon-blocking feast on the inset..
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 8:35 pm

Always known Larry to be one of the most genuine label owners in our particular circle.
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 11:40 pm

A T.S.O.T. Double Garfield picture disc would be a start...

I fixed this for you.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 12:37 am

Ha!..gracias!..tho that does sound interesting..
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 6:07 am

Hey Larry,
Yeah man, those glasses! Wow. Glad to hear it's not part of your LA outfit.

I love the Ty double ten inch,
wrote a big piece about it in Prime Time Magazine, you know the mighty glossy we have in this town.

it's not that I dislike all the stuff you put out
it's more that you don't release as many records I like as a few years back.

That is just a matter of taste, apparently a very strange phenomenon in our particular circle.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 7:57 am

Larry was a good sport when I puked in front of him once (or twice) when I was 23...that's enough for me.

Larry, you always seemed like a guy that listened pretty hard to what you put out and you weren't afraid to challenge peoples ears in a good way. That's a very redeeming quality. Especially when haters are coming at you.

Music culture is going threw a transitional period and honest to god might not make it...it realy seems like that sometimes. People are motherfuckers, sometimes it doesn't hurt to be one yourself, that's how it's looking to me. There are two sides to every story.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 8:05 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'd realy like to go back to the late 90's / early 2000s when songs were either completely retarded, or about alienation or self loathing and emotional dysfunction...you know real life? Ever since facebook came around it's all about smiling for the camera, and you would think that would make everyone way cooler and sleazier...but noooo...it's all like look at me I'm on vacation in the bahamas dressed like it's 1986.....or I'm in my home town drinking a giant margarita....that's basically what it has turned into.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 8:14 am

I went to 2 of the Scion-sponsored shows in NYC in 2010 (when they were doing monthly shows). Neither show had any Scion banners or literature or a speech before. They were free, great bands and I hoped the bands got paid good. I don't think it's bad for bands to take advantage of situations like these, it takes money to keep a band going.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 8:44 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Scion could give everyone a new car and it wouldn't help things...

http://www.amazon.com/Were-Going-Down/dp/B0037B4A50

Wish I could find a full version of this song.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 9:41 am

wish I had a new car
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 11:03 am

Music culture

lol.
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 11:22 am

Like a bratty girl scout I KNOW RIGHT??!
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 12:46 pm

Larry Hardy rocks!
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 12:57 pm

still not buying Toyotas, no matter what they call 'em.

will buy ITR records however! and see the shows...
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 2:55 pm

Is this the letters section of MRR?
Posted: Aug 4, 2012 3:24 am

Wow.
Posted: Aug 4, 2012 12:19 pm

I am a sales manager for a Toyota dealership. We have this whole Scion Stage setup in the middle of the showroom. We have a 60 inch TV in the middle of it that shows commercials. I get to see this gem ten times a day.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HPeywAW1Hk&feature=autoplay&list= PL229BA5674012AAF3&playnext=1][/url]
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 2:29 am | Edited by: Scott

Posted: Aug 5, 2012 10:07 am

GQ: "Gucci Gucci" is all about not wearing designer brands like Gucci and Prada, but what if they gave you free stuff?
Kreayshawn: That's like somebody saying, "You won a free Scion!" Would you really even wanna drive it?

PS Nanne, you are a pathetic back-pedalling asslicker.
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 10:16 am

not crucial
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 10:22 am

Truth be told, if somebody told me I'd won a Scion, I'd drive it. I'm backpedalling right now!
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 3:09 pm

Would anyone pass on a free car on a matter of principle?? Not me.

I went to the the big Vice/Scion fest in PDX - it was awesome. Tons of great bands playing, including a ton of bands from overseas that might not have been able to afford to the trip over the pond had someone else not footed the bill (i assume). There was barely any advertising - unlike when Camel or Sailor Jerry sponsors a show. I got a couple of the split 7"s - the Scion logo is pretty fucking tiny, and unless the subliminal messages are super subliminal, the music the same as if a regular label put it out. And the bands presumably got paid pretty well, rather than hopefully breaking even. Soooo... who gives a shit? Yeah, sucks for this guy that he's gotten the run around getting paid from some of his clients, but that's the downside of running your own business. He's well within his rights complaining about it, though, for sure - no one likes to feel dicked around like that.
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 5:15 pm

If somebody gave me a VW, and told me I had to drive it and I couldn't sell it and take the money, I'd pass. Those cars are utter shit.
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 7:55 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'd like to know if anyone has bought a Scion because of its hip garage association? Everyone I know says it's has been coincidence. My Toyota Yaris hatchback was made at their factory, that was pretty much coincidence. They do have alot of features I like, as far as fuel efficiency and stereo features....if I won one, I would probbably put the tires on my car, and part out the rest....or maybe not.

Not to sound like a negative nelly, but whenever a corporation tries to piggyback a music scene, it seems like the writing is on the wall....but what the hell do I know? I like all the bands well enough....then again I'm in my 30's and lame!
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 7:56 am

Their interiors kind of suck..but I'm not a big stickler on that...I still wish my interior had been upgraded.
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 9:21 am

I still wish my interior had been upgraded.

we all do
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 12:25 pm

at least when you go to a "Scion" show you can get something to drink besides horrible tasting candy flavored rum.
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 1:04 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

continuing...a few of the Scions I've ridden in have had the same upholstery....seems they could use some interior design consultants as much as garage consultants. All in all, they're good cars thow.

Look at this interior! It's a 2011. Possibly an upgrade.

http://pricecarsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2012-Scion-xB-in terior.jpg
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 2:35 pm

we all do

dang. tb set himself up so easily on that one, but you pulled a punch for sure.
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 3:14 pm

RE: Scion
Been driving one all week courtesy of friends who went to EU on vacation. Drives worse than my old dearly departed Kia. Corners like a brick on wheels, turn radius is pretty much shit, slow to pick up speed and shakes over 55 mph. Not that I am not grateful to my friends who lent it to me so I can stay-cation while they vacation, but I wouldn't buy one.

RE: Airing your shit on the internet like a teenage girl
Amusing schadenfreude, I guess, but I dunno. Seems pretty uncool to me.

RE: Bands cashing in on the corporate sponsorships
I am all for it! Bring on the monies! As long as bands don't have to "evolve" musically, compromise ideals or act as shills, who gives a damn? It's money in deserving pockets, imho.

PS - free corporate socks saved a life or two the night of the dirtbombs show they sponsored when the blizzard meant tromping through massive snowbanks to get to brooklyn. thanks, sock-giving-away-free-show-dudes!
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 5:33 pm

Go see if you can find a dealership near you with the Scion FR-S. That vehicle kicks ass.
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 3:25 am

I'm a nice old man, Rayultine. Weird that nobody ever noticed this except Sammy Boohoo.

Open Letter:
Can this bullshit about cars stop please?
You are Americans for fuck's sake. You people don't know shit about cars.
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 5:20 am

free corporate socks saved a life or two the night of the dirtbombs show they sponsored when the blizzard meant tromping through massive snowbanks to get to brooklyn. thanks, sock-giving-away-free-show-dudes!

This made me literally laugh out loud.......corporate socks!
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 10:21 am

You are Americans for fuck's sake. You people don't know shit about cars.

LOL. Next you will be saying American's don't know shit about rock and roll.
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 10:28 am

No, I already said that years ago.
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 10:31 am

I could repeat myself by refering to the current R&B thread though.
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 12:57 pm

This made me literally laugh out loud.......corporate socks!

Dude! I was about as happy for the socks that night as I was for the free 45! Maybe happier!
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 1:17 pm

This thread needs counseling.
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 2:15 pm

LOL
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 8:41 am

we all do

dang. tb set himself up so easily on that one, but you pulled a punch for sure.

I don't get it...is that some obscure bathhouse humor? Seems so to me.
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 8:42 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

BMW hasn't made shit in several fucking decades...I buy japanese, americans and Europeans are a bunch of fucktards.
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 8:44 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

BMW's sure they handle well but all of the automatic windows are broken and you're all wet.

Like I even give a fuck about performance, I'm not some rickety 70 year old, 90 pound weakling with a comb over who needs to live vicariously threw my Chevy Suburban, or high performance whatever.....
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 8:53 am

And it's not even a matter of being sponsored...it's just that it did so much for Fat Possum, I mean they were going under anyway and all their core artists were dying off.

Hope springs eternal, if it keeps the label alive with some of the original ethic pushing it...that's better than nothing. I'm not realy knocking Fat Possum either. No idea what kind of deals are being made, so it's hardly worth worrying about.
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 10:53 am

BMW, which I will never drive again, makes 640's esp for the American market, because otherwise you fuckers wouldn't be able to handle them, you dumbass.
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 11:09 am

Like I even give a fuck about performance

What do you think Rayultine: pull the punch again?
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 11:30 am

o, I just did
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 9:24 am

We don't want to get involved in this mess but we would like to do on record and say, Thee Cormans records are fucking fantastic.
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 9:47 am

mwoa
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah, BMW has training courses here on how to drive their cars, I think in Georgia or Arkansas or something.....

I knew an Austrian that took the class while he was here...I thought that was funny.

My old roommate had a 640...it was funny three of the powered windows broke in one winter...they didn't just stop working, they fell into the car door...I wish I had taken a picture of it with garbage bags taped in the different windows...he would get one fixed and another would break...he finaly got rid of it and leased a Toyota.
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I was in the car one time...he was rolling up the window, and we heard a loud grinding crunching noise, and the window just fell straight down into the car door impossible to pull out....funny as hell.

Those cars probbably need at least 600 dollars of fluids every year just to keep them in good running condition.
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Alls you need is a late 90s Civic and your set. Outside of routine maintenance, they wont start fucking up til you put a quarter of a million miles on em.
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm | Edited by: Ding Le Dangle

My batmobile was, as I said before, from 1994, it was an extra high performance beemer and I have never had any problems with the windows.
The only problems with that car I had was an anti-car gang from two streets away, your usual colledge kids vandalism (once a week one of your sidemirrors is kicked off, or you have a new dent from a hammer) and dipshits in this street who could'nt park a dinky toy.

The last BMW I ever drove was from 2002 and fell apart even as you looked at it. One of the electric windows refused to open. Could have it repaired. Thought fuck it. This car sucks anyway. It was forced on me. Can't explain how. But I'm glad, I repeat, that I got rid of that piece of shit, even if the price for getting rid of it was too high.

I said they BUILT special 640 for you Americans. No matter everything falls off right away.
If you buy a new 640 here, made for Europe, than you drive like a High Way Star.

Which I am.

So somebody rich gimme a new car.
A high performance car. Non German.
And by Odin! no American car.

Goddammit!
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

true...those things never die...
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Civics used to be gangsta rap cars over here...

heh
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 2:37 pm

so a thread that began with bitching about record labels becoming car commercials has turned into car commercials

WELL DONE!
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 2:44 pm

the world is weird.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 3:51 am

I wouldn't kick a Civic out of my garage
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 8:50 am

no matter what band was rehearsing in it
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am

Why don't you take your In the red, your fuckin vice magazine, and your lame ass american apparel. Load it up in your queer scion full of your smug fuckin gas. Punch in cliff on your gps and fuck yourselves.

posers!
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yay Ventor...you dah man! We are impressed. Not kidding...keep up the good work.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am

A T.S.O.T. Double Garfield picture disc would be a start...
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 11:29 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

if you all can get away with that, I'm next in line with a Bill The Cat picture disk....laser disk.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Ventor, while your at it, take a pay cut at your job! Because it's so cool to not make any money.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 12:07 pm

The only thing wrong with VICE is that they haven't offered me a job yet...they don't have the slightest clue of what they're doing.....yet.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey! If you guys want to make money off your craft, maybe you should get the right app for your phone. I don't want to put a price on my passion. I'd rather hate my job, and I work two of them. When your under the thumb of some shitty corporate logo, and get screwed over. I don't wanna hear you crying. Independent labels do the same, sure. When you lose controlling interest over your baby. Who has the lawyers and the capital to further FUCK YOU? NEVER TRUST!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Ventor, you're preaching to the choir man...I've been hanging out observing this stuff for awhile now...these guys are well aware of that.

I don't realy think this is an argument of getting paid, or punk rock sellout or any bullshit like that...this is a matter of functioning in a changing economy and world....

I say all kinds of snide shit all of the time...but it's realy a grey zone and always has been.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 3:09 pm

the entire past decade has been a mixed bag...we have all gotten the short end of the stick...I mean all but the top 1% and even they have gotten screwed to an extent by corporations...that's the nature of business.

You give Walmart the cheapest base line price, and a year later they say fuck you we want cheaper...that's the nature of big business. You weigh the good with the bad. In the end are you having fun? Buy a ticket take a ride.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I 'm speaking for myself. I'm in the over 40 club. I had opportunities to capitalize on my craft. It never sat right with me. I've always had this opinion, and that's all it is. Rock, work hard, and "stay hungry" like mister Dee Snider said.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 3:35 pm

quoting dee snider is gay.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Almost as gay as quoting liberace.
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 4:37 pm

"Your review hurt me! I cried all the way to the bank!" --- Liberace
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Operating a label is a little different than fronting a band...I mean licensing out an artist on your label is different than capitalizing on your craft. As a band, licensing out your tune to a major corporation isn't exactly selling out, but yeah guys like Adam Yauch could afford to take issue with it...

The garage boom was sort of like living in a cool part of town that becomes the stage for a popular sitcom and all of the sudden realestate sky rockets..but no better or worse than that.

Also in this digital age, no one is getting paid for shit...your typical professional musician who files taxes brings home about 30 grand a year and that's without insurance....
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 12:44 pm | Edited by: ida slapter

What are you talking about? How is licensing out your music to a huge company *not* selling out?

Most contacts between labels and bands (even very small ones) allow the label to sell anything they want to anyone they want. Not all, but most. In many situations they can do that, but will talk to the band and get buy off on it, knowing that most bands are strapped for cash.

Now, back in the 90s -- when people seemed to care more about what was and wasn't selling out and the idea of ECSR being on an ad for a car, cereal, deodorant, whatever. Was so fucking farfetched that most people didn't think about it.

AND if a company/ad agency/conglomerate wanted to use a song they would talk to the label or the band and if either party refused to give over the rights the ad agency would threaten to re-record the song and change it just enough that no one could sue. That is why you will hear a song that sounds almost, but not exactly like something you know.

I think it's great that Goner is able to get a song into a commercial (if that is the right choice for them and the band) the idea of that happening in the 90s isn't very realistic. I also respect someone saying that they won't sell anything to anyone for any amount of money. But a car company essentially spending very little (compared to running a prime time TV spot) to put on rock, rap, garage and metal shows is banking that at some point they will sell you a car. Anyone can sit and say that marketing doesn't work on them, but really it does... Unless you are 100% off the grid and well then you wouldn't be on the goner board.

And yes, many bands are not making tons of money in sales, but most of the 90s bands that are revered now with the "garage boom" didn't make shit back in the day.
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 1:28 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah it does work on me, Scion taking care of artists I care about builds product loyalty...it's great In The Red got in good with a company who are selling some of the better cars on the market out of the best factories in the world. It's true the Japanese are more detail oriented in every way...they fucking leave baseball games in single file lines and pick up all their trash.

Toyota even wined and dined my Dad in an effort to build product loyalty, flew him to Japan for 8 weeks...it fucking gained my loyalty I can say that much.

Personaly, as an artist, if major labels are clammering for my music, I'd be realy paranoid about loosing my edge and becoming overly assimilated...that's realy what bugs me about "selling out", it has nothing to do with money.
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 1:31 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Toyota has alot of factories in the U.S. because if our economy gets to suffering so bad it hurts their economy...but honestly I would never buy a U.S. made Toyota.
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 1:36 pm

I mean record labels can't exactly tour non stop...and licensing songs to companies, and playing out live is the only realy viable way to break even these days.....on a smaller scale you can break even by catoring to a collector market or whatever, but not sure how that translates on a broader scale.
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 2:00 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Darth Vader is the ultimate sell out...he sold himself and his people out.
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Why don't you take your In the red, your fuckin vice magazine, and your lame ass american apparel. Load it up in your queer scion full of your smug fuckin gas. Punch in cliff on your gps and fuck yourselves.

where would all the cheap cocaine in brooklyn come from if this happened?!
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I love the Consumers lp, Clone Defects and a whole bunch of others that i can't think of at the minute.
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 4:33 pm

I love the Consumers lp, Clone Defects and a whole bunch of others that i can't think of at the minute.
Is this a non sequitur or did I miss something by not reading 2/3 of this thread?
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Oh right. You are getting back on topic. In the Red. I'd almost forgotten.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®