Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Sabbath live in Paris 1970
Posted: Jul 26, 2012 11:42 pm | Edited by: Matto

you've probably seen it , but if you haven't ... check the Fairies wear boots for the closer... Fuckin' A... And look at lil Ozzy... Who says drugs age you prematurely?....

Posted: Jul 27, 2012 8:51 am

great concert! probably have seen this more than any other concert film.
Posted: Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

hell yeah. i need to break out my paranoid 45 and blast that fucker. so tough in mono. early sabbath second to none.
Posted: Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

hows about sabbath's funk breaks?
Posted: Jul 28, 2012 4:21 am

hows about sabbath's funk breaks?
funk yeah! 1st lp is mondo tit!
Posted: Jul 28, 2012 9:02 am

Posted: Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am

Bonham can go fuck himself, Bill Ward was straight soul.
Posted: Jul 28, 2012 2:50 pm

I dont know why Ward stopped playin like this...you can watch footage from just a year after this and it seems he didn't swing as much and got lead-footed and mor Bonham-like. Check out War Pigs from this concert, dude is swinging his ass of...the fills are blindingly fast, his kick drum foot is on meth...the dude is destroying shit. Unfortunately no other sabbath footage shows him playing this way. Wonder why he changed? Luckily for Memphians, Rockbert continues the tradition of 1970 Paris Bill Ward.
Posted: Jul 29, 2012 3:12 am

ritchie---i've wondered this as well. b. ward is so off the fuckin chain in this concert, but almost never again lives up to it. there is footage where he's rockin the fuck out, for sure, but in that concert, especially "war pigs," he's definitely at his peak (at least on video...who friggin' knows about real life?)....

anyway, i figure he was younger, more energetic/exuberant, and also the massive amounts of beer slowed him down and clouded his brain in later years.

still, though...it's not like he sucked after that concert. one of my favorite drummers ever!
Posted: Jul 29, 2012 10:17 am

yeah b. ward got so fucking cracked out and drunk later its not a surprise his style changed. I still love all his shit though even like the Never Say Die era. sabbath rules.
Posted: Jul 30, 2012 12:37 am

one word: Geezer.
Posted: Jul 30, 2012 8:15 am

Da Geeeeeeze
Posted: Jul 30, 2012 12:06 pm

What bands has Rockbert been in?
Posted: Jul 31, 2012 10:52 pm

So fuckin' tired of Sabbath and their cast-offs of wannabe Tony Iommi-channeling / downtuned doomchord SG riffage ('cept almighty Saint Vitus), yet that 1970 Paris footage RULES beyond words. Used to have that one on VHS and put mucho mileage on said tape before it went blank. That concert never gets old.

True dat Bill Ward swang bigtime w/ jazzy fillage. One of the few British drummers who could actually do such.

p.s. FUCK Oasis
Posted: Aug 1, 2012 1:00 pm

I also blame the volume of substances for bill wards later lazier style
Posted: Aug 1, 2012 4:39 pm

In case you didn't already think Sharon Osbourne was a nasty piece of work, read this.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®