Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Standells versus The Chocolate Watch Band
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 9:03 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

who wins?

I say The Standells, even though they were numbskulls for turning down "Tainted Love"...they had more style, better songs, were better at fake psychedelia ("All Fall Down" is amazing) AND they were on the Munsters.

CWB were tough and had some great sides, but the singer couldn't hide his erection for Jagger very well and their low points are miles lower than the Standell's low points. That said, "dont need your lovin" is killer.

Standells, not by a mile, but at least a few lengths.
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 9:20 pm

this is the only chocolate watchband song i know at all (i've heard a few seconds of a couple others):

but you're probably on the right track. and some more perspective:

this:

to this (oh wait, you already said "all falls down" which is where i was gonna go). anyway...

and as good as their snottier songs are - they ain't really "sweet young thing." what is???

but this one sounds like the painted ship:

an dis shit is tough as fuck too!

Posted: Jul 14, 2012 9:22 pm

paddy bullocks needs to show up with some crucial perspective.

BARRACUDA!
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm

i'm still rockin' my rhino best of. how is that the only standells record i've ever had?
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 9:26 pm

and talk about not being able to cover up some stones bone-age (but check out that organ!):

Posted: Jul 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Medication is one of the greatest songs ever...why isn't it on a 45?...I want it as loud as it can be.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 12:06 am

standells though i do like CW too
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 1:08 am

The Zeros never covered Chocalate Watch Band, to my recollection....
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Rari by the Standells is a favorite. Both bands have great songs, but very inconsistent Lp's. Chocolate Watchband is definitely more derivative of other bands (Stones), but Standells had Ed Cobb pulling the strings...Medication, Try It, Sometimes Good Guys, Dirty Water etc...I'd give the edge to the Standells.

What about the the Beau Brummels? No one seems to care, never hear them mentioned and I think they are amazing...production by Sly Stone on those Autumn sides is great. Top "go to" when I want original minor chord moody garage folk.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 1:56 pm

i've only ever had one of their lp's. i don't think it was a very good one. all covers?
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 2:31 pm

CWB were managed by ed cobb too... and i love beau brummels and sly stone.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 3:07 pm

I forgot about the Cobb/Watchband connection. Both bands are great. I think the Standells were more from a garage punk angle, whereas Watchband was psych druggy punk. Kind of like The Electric Prunes another favorite of that scene.

When I worked at Pipeline Records in Boston, the dude who ran the label part of the company was licensing stuff from Ray Harris, who was Ed Cobb's partner back in the 60's. He had some good stories, none of which I can remember unfortunately. Very sleazy hollywood record producer stuff. The producers viewed the music as garbage they could sell to teens, I think. Cobb and Harris came from a big band jazz tradition.

Beau Brummels LP's have some covers, but a surprising number of high quality originals- rare for that time period. Of course they are from the San Francisco area, so not quite the L.A. thing (Watchband was from San Jose but I always associate them with LA for some reason) , but I was just curious as to whether anyone had checked them out seeing as they were one of the first of the commercially successful garage bands of the 60's. I think their sound doesn't fit any particular niche and therefore does not get much attention.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 6:04 pm

pretty sure the one lp i have lurking about is all covers.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 7:51 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

My Mom knew all the Beau Brummels bigger songs....she was in highschool during the peak of all that stuff...alot of time she couldn't tell you the band, but she could sing every song word for word.

She was never into Elvis or Motown, she liked the mop tops.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 9:04 am

Seconding Tom's remark on Rari. One of the best songs. Great and simple sentiment. Dudes love to watch girls dance. First CWB album is a fave for me even though it's not even the same group all the way through. That and the Sweet Young Thing 45 are all I have and all I need from their catlog. The other two albums are to "psych" for me. Even though there's some overlap on the Standell's LP's they are all worth having(except hot ones and maybe live at PJ's). Love the BB's! "Last night was the darkest night of the year"!
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 9:30 am

Whoops! Darkest Night of the year is not the Beau Brummels, it's the Tikis, also on Autumn.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am

i'm with you on this one, Records Rich!
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Chocolate Watch Band for albums, Standells for single tracks. I've really grown to hate Dirty Water for some reason though. Maybe from dating a psychotic Boston gal.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I'll take Blues Magoos over any of these bands though.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Posted: Jul 16, 2012 8:05 pm

CWB incognito, and they both are great.
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Standells over CWB for me, on basis of Sometimes Good Guys. . .alone. Years later I saw the Mighty Lemon Drops, who covered that song and called it "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Shoot Smack!"

Beau Brummels rule! Everything except the covers record is great. And I'd put "Don't Talk To Strangers" up against just about anything the Byrds did in that time period.
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Standells, total -- Bazooka already called me out cuz i'm a standells freak. admittedly quite a few duffers but "Barracuda," "Medication," "Try It," "Rari," "Good Guys," "Riot on Sunset Strip," (theme tune to a movie featuring both bands!
even the pre-Ed Cobb Munsters era stuff is pretty damn good - they do a great Bony Maroney.
my favorite Chocolate Watchband song is "Sittin There Standin" - great one --- but i can never get that "Are you gonna be there - at the Love In?" out of my head -- uh

vs

(dmz did a great cover of this tune)
Posted: Jul 28, 2012 11:14 pm

The Standells for sure.

Can't drink Dirty Water anymore. Too many times on ear.
Posted: Jul 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Medication is one of the greatest songs ever...why isn't it on a 45?...I want it as loud as it can be.

That was the song for me that made go from thinkin' "Yeah, 'Dirty Water' & 'Good Guys...' are pretty good songs" to "Holy crap, this band is phenomenal."

Both bands are great. I think the Standells were more from a garage punk angle, whereas Watchband was psych druggy punk.

I agree that both bands are great & that "garage punk" & "psych druggy punk" are both pretty high on my list of genres to adore.
Posted: Jul 29, 2012 3:12 pm

I like them both, but I would give the edge to the Standells
Posted: Jul 29, 2012 3:56 pm | Edited by: Shenanigan

I just saw on a Rolling Stones tour history itinerary that the Standells supported them for most of one of their tours in 1966.Thought that was pretty cool. Rockin' Ramrods from Boston did some shows with the Stones also that year or maybe 1965.
Posted: Jul 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Supposedly the actual live CWB didn't sound anything like those records - they were tougher and more Stonesy. But yeah, the Standells have the edge in songs.

Hopefully I'll be interviewing some of the remaining CWB members soon for a local music project I'm working on.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®