Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Were the Dickies every bit as important as Devo?
Posted: Jul 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Fuckin' A right they were....Where DID his eye go anyways?
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 8:00 am

Dunno. Love'em but I don't know. I think the Dickies reputation relied more on the fact that they were a kick ass live rock'n'roll band. Devo had this going too, but were also innovators. Both great bands.
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 11:33 am

Weirdos were better than either.

Thelonious Monk, not so good.
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 11:34 am

Err, Monster, not Monk. But him too.
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Weirdos were awesome...but inconsistant. Two awesome 45's and two patchy 12" eps

The Dickies I always felt never got enuff props...Despite being awesome live for...what...35 years?! And two excellent LP's and an awesome 12"ep
to their credit.

Devo is so much in their own category its hard to talk Weridos/Dickies/Devo...easier to go Screamers/Suicide/Devo....
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Plasmatics>Devo>Dickies
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 1:59 pm

38 Special or Georgia Satellites?
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 2:05 pm

dickies didnt even want to be a punk band they were just trying to cash in on a fad and one of them had an uncle or whatever who worked for a major label. devo were from the middle of nowhere and toiled for years in obscurity before getting signed. devo are the better band, they were more influential and far more innovative. dont get me wrong, i love the dickies but their covers suck and theyre not even in the same league as devo, hell theyre barely even playing the same game!!!
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 3:44 pm

I agree with bradx

Whose better Creedence Clearwater Revisited or Jefferson Starship?
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 5:22 pm

ZZ Top.
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Molly Fuckin Hatchet
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 6:43 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

skyhooks
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Sigue Sigue Sputnik makes em both irrelevant.
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Posted: Jul 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 1:06 am

Whoa...talk about cashing in on a fad....Kevin Seconds...I remember seeing them in , 89ish?..when they did the reggae version of walk together...barf....not quite as bad of a slide as later Die Kreuzen...but close.....I'll stand by the fucking Dickies, whether their brilliance was devoid of the yoke of Midwestern obscurity or not...killer songs...unbelievable live...
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 1:17 am

theres nothing brilliant about imitating stupidity, and thats what they did by being a mock punk band. yeah the songs are great, but the lyrics are banal and the incessant covers entirely unnecessary. if devo had never released a record at all, just recorded the hardcore comps in their basement, they would still be light years ahead of the dickies.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Punk = Stupid.. I think they just had fun with it, especially considering a lot of the macho, boring ass shit that was going on at the time, much in the same way Devo did. And this thread was by no means dismissing Devo, they were fucking awesome, obviously, I just don't think the Dickies get they credit they deserve... maybe because of their idiotic style and subject material, but that's a big part of their charm to me. Some bad covers, yes, but I'll take Banana Splits over Workin in a coal mine.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 2:30 pm

fair enough but i will take gut feeling/slap yer mammy or smart patrol/mr dna over anything the dickies ever did.
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Smart patrol/mr DNA is indeed the best 1-2 punch by either band..
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 10:37 am

Devo wins, Dickies were incredible though.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 11:38 am

DEVO, who started out an art band, covered "Satisfaction".
The Dickies, who started out with an uncle in the biz, covered "The Banana Splits Theme" Song.

You choose. or call a toss-up.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 12:43 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

The Dickies were as important as other bands who went against punk orthodoxy like Flipper, Butthole Surfers, and the Big Boys, but DEVO was better. We listened to them because they were fun, and most punk/HC bands of that era were so serious.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 1:51 pm

You choose. or call a toss-up.
So, you think that sums up DEVO's catalog? Uuuh k. Have you listened to their records?
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Devo messed up "Satisfaction" a lot more than the Dickies messed with "The Banana Splits Theme."

Just saying.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm

thats for damn sure. dickies did note for note renditions of paranoid and communication breakdown. i love em but unnecessary to the extreme. what devo did to satisfaction is awesome and not really even a highlight of their catalog.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 4:06 pm

that first DEVO longplayer on Warner Bros. was amazing. we never thought they'd be able to sustain anything for more than 40 minutes, especially after seeing the "live show" in 1978 or 79.
all we had to go on was the "Booji Boy" single and movie, which was weird enough to go into the hall of fame with.

their version of "Satisfaction" demolished the Residents', altho the Residents pre-dated it, recording-wise. Not sure if the SpudBoys were doing it live before the Residents released their single.

DEVO were trendsetters; the Dickies sure could bring it but they were no artists. Except Leonard, that guy was really committed.

that whole deep "devolution" philosophy helped me understand why average midwestern spudboys would cross the street to heap abuse & spittle on me.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Flipper, Butthole Surfers, and the Big Boys,

All these bands are better than Devo.
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm

wrong!
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm

both crucial...so when things started going downhill...This is still better than this
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 3:14 pm

further, the Didjits version of "Give it Back" is better than the original but their cover of "Mr. DNA" is not...winner: DEVO
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 4:01 pm

I dig Sambeaux's list.. I'd also toss in Tales of Terror and Poison 13 on the under appreciated crucialness list... Unfortunately that TOT album has never been re-released, master tapes are MIA and all but two of the dudes are dead..
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 4:38 pm

the didjits cover of give it back is entirely lacking in keyboard, which is one of the main things that make the early dickies records interesting.
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 5:03 pm

POISON 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Best version of What a way to Die recorded... Hands down...
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm

love all their covers...they would be a great reunion
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 12:41 am

No need to denigrate the Dickies for Devo's benefit...Devo doesnt need it
and the Dickies always get overlooked and that should have changed by now...

I'm sayin both bands after being together for 35 and 38 years are still kickin hard in a live setting...which is amazing...and laudable. They might be in a very exclusive club of 70's rock bands still together and bringing it.

Who else....Motorhead...Cheap Trick....I'm talkin bands that never broke up....maybe the Damned?
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 2:48 am

The Damnedd broke up. If it ain't vanian, scabies, and the captain it ain't the Damned. AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest all still good live.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 9:15 am

they would be a great reunion

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 11:12 am

Is there a difference between bands breaking up and bands going on hiatus?
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm sayin both bands after being together for 35 and 38 years are still kickin hard in a live setting...which is amazing...and laudable. They might be in a very exclusive club of 70's rock bands still together and bringing it.

oh come on, still together? they started to suck the minute chuck wagon died, its only leonard and stan lee with assorted hacks.

also bun e doesnt play with cheap trick anymore so i lost 25% of my interest in ever seeing them live, though zander does still have the voice.

devo have a replacement drummer, but at least the 4 original members who play the music are still together, and their last album was their best since oh no its devo. dickies havent had a decent record since 1980 other than killer klowns which is a novelty at best.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm

and the Dickies always get overlooked

by who? they were on a major label and had a top ten hit in the uk. a band like the testors who never released a proper album in their heyday, they were overlooked. i mean, yeah, they dont get the credit of a band like the ramones, nor do they deserve to. they saw punk as novelty music and the ticket to a quick record deal due to insider connections in the industry. i think their level of popularity is commensurate with what they brought to the table in terms of music and creativity.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 3:58 pm

they saw punk as novelty music and the ticket to a quick record deal due to insider connections in the industry.

FEAR

also Locked n Loaded is an excellent album, live sure but new songs(at the time 1990) like Just Say Yes are better than whatever Devo was doing at the time (Rugrats)
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 4:36 pm

They might be in a very exclusive club of 70's rock bands still together and bringing it.

Who else....

Status Quo!
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Sparks?
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Sparks is a good one.

I'll take the Dickies Second Coming Demo over anything Devo did post 1986.....and I heard the new Devo and it wasnt all that.

Brad you should know that Dickies were a side project of the Quick....who were produced by Earle Mankey...hotshit guitarist for Sparks.

So the Dickies/Devo thing is actually a stupid pairing...they both had props...and thats about it
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm always ready to display my ignorance. I know the Tarentino film song from The Dickies and the obvious Devo hits. This thread has made me want to investigate. What's essential and easily found on vinyl? Thank you.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Dickies first 2 Lp's and "Stukas" 12" ep...pretty spotty after that....the bootleg LP "Dickies archives" contains post "Stukas" demo stuff that smokes their 80's output.

Get that lone Quick lp from 1976 while you're at it...

And of course every Sparks record from 1970 to 1980
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 8:29 pm

go dl hardcore devo vol 1 and 2 (or buy em if you can find em) and Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!/Duty Now for the Future/Freedom of Choice/New Traditionalists are all great

the first two Dickies albums and that live later thing Locked and Loaded is great

no idea what Tarentino film Dickies song thing is
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 9:00 pm

no idea what Tarentino film Dickies song thing is

oh man Mark, your right. I listened to the banana song while reading this thread and somehow thought it was the song from "Death Proof"...I just suck. Anyway, thx, I'm gonna hit discogs and see what turns up.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 9:05 pm

i would take oh no its devo over new traditionalists

Brad you should know that Dickies were a side project of the Quick....who were produced by Earle Mankey...hotshit guitarist for Sparks.

how so, none of them were actually in the quick to my knowledge, i am aware of their butchering of "pretty please me" where they take out all the nuances that make the original so great, entirely skipping the first verse and the majority of one of my all time favorite guitar solos in favor of a sped up ham fisted approach that is equally as boring as it is unnecessary. yet another in a long list of lousy covers they did probably due to a lack of enough decent original material to flesh out their lps.

I'll take the Dickies Second Coming Demo over anything Devo did post 1986.....and I heard the new Devo and it wasnt all that.

really? did you actually listen to it a couple times or just hear a couple samples from it online? i own it, and while it might not be "all that" it grows on you, and is their best record since oh no its devo. plenty of interesting and memorable material.

You wish you were swinging from the trees.
You wish you were slicing through the breeze
You wish you were a king or a queen.
{ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/d/devo-lyrics/don_t-shoot-(i_m-a-man)-lyri cs.html }
You wish you'd hit the lottery.

Wishin' is for chumps, High hopin' is for fools.

They'll hunt you down.
They'll taze you bro for playin' with the rules.

Don't shoot, I'm a maaaaaan.

Don't do what I do, just do what I say!
"My door does what I say - I say 'open' and it does!"
"My lights do what I say - I say 'on' and they snap on!"
"My car does what I say - I say 'start' and it jumps out!"
"But my dog doesn't do what I say."
"My girl doesn't do what I say."
"My mind doesn't do what I say."
"I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!"

What we do is what we do
It's all the same, there's nothing new
What we do is what we do
It's turnin' 'round on me and you

Strokin', hopin', dreamin', repeatin'

Feedin' and breedin' and pumpin' gas
Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, do it again

He said his name was Cameo
He danced a nasty funk-style retro
He drove a bright red '67 GTO
He liked to let his Elvis-style hair grow

He was a black belt loaded with skills
He spoke slow choosing words that could kill
Honest people didn't need to fear him
But do not cross this Native American

Cameo, Cameo
Cameo, Cameo
He said his name was
Cameo, Cameo
He said his name was
Cameo, Cameo

He'd whisper "White Man speak with forked tongue"
Before he's finished talking, you'd be goin' down
He'd repeat "White Man speak with forked tongue"
And by that time, you'd be long dead and buried in the ground
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm

oh no's only good song for me is big mess
new trads only crap songs are race of doom, and super thing
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

i like peek a boo, time out for fun and thats good. on new traditionalists i only like beautiful world and through being cool.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Get that lone Quick lp from 1976 while you're at it...

I got a tape from Burger that I love a lot....Is this it?
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

"Untold Rock Stories" really love this tape.
Posted: Jul 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Devo all the way but I do love the dickies
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 12:27 am

I like The Dicks better than The Dickies. Start the gay jokes
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 7:31 am

i would take oh no its devo
Patterns!

is that an electric autoharp?
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 8:18 am

Bob 1 goes ballistic.. full on monkey face fall down shredder at 2:28...rules!
i think the whole 'movie' is up somewhere...great stuff.
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 9:02 am | Edited by: Tango Fistula

how so, none of them were actually in the quick to my knowledge

No...the other way around. The Dickies were a joke side project of Billy Bizeau
and Ian Aintsworth from the Quick. Billy's protege was Leonard Phillips. They wrote songs and ideas for Leonard to use for their creation. Leonard recruits Steve Hufsteder's drug dealer on guitar, Chuck Wagon and two Hollywood masque hangabouts to round out the line-up.

And again...Devo is a way different creature then Sparks/Quick/Dickies....Devo is awesome. Only a dead eared fool would deny it. New stuff didnt excite me. It happens. I'll re-listen in the future.
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 10:18 am

What about DEVO vs Kraftwerk?

Or Silver Apples vs Suicide?
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Best bands are from Ohio.
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 9:00 pm

DEV-O!

I have never liked the Dickies.
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:28 am

Best bands are from Ohio.

That's very nice of you to say. For a while, between Devo, Pere Ubu, Dead Boys, Crime, Chrome, & the Residents, everything I was listening to was either from NE Ohio or SF.

For Devo, Shout brought them back down to earth with a resounding thud. However, for the purposes of this discussion, I like Devo better. In fact, I never was a really big Dickies fan.

Devo vs. Weirdos is much more of a debate for me.
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 2:31 pm

This.

And this.

Posted: Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Always wished i could like Devo as much as i appreciate them, but it hasn't happened yet (a handful of songs being an exception). Would love to see them live at some point. Generally like the live footage i've seen of them much more than their records.
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 12:53 am

Hafta admit... Glad my drunken washing of the dishes playing records and screaming along to manny, moe, and jack and subsequent goner posting lead to some existential soapboxing...but let's put this one to rest....next, what's more appropriate at a Transexual funeral...Bobby "Blue" Bland Duke out takes , or Negative Approach Tied Down bloopers...oh...somehow, the Pagans got left out as the best band ever to come out of Ohio...Dead Boys were mere Poseurs in comparison...(if Felix hadn't fucked up the second LP there might be a debate)...
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 12:02 pm

I saw the Pagans. They weren't no Dead Boys.

Cleveland rocks, but it's too bad they had no second wind like Detroit in the 90's.
Maybe the R 'n R Hall of Lame sucked it out of them.
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 8:44 pm

If you're speaking of the reunion, yeah I heard that kinda blew.. But I'm guessing that if all of the dead boys were alive and performing post-millennia , the result would be similar ( like that latest Cheetah Chrome abortion) , but for recorded material, for my taste anyway, the Pagans win that hands down..
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 8:49 pm

But that's a whole other thread...
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 11:54 pm

yeah the dead boys strike me as a fairly by the numbers 70s rock band. its all mid paced with lots of guitar leads and such, nothing really mind blowing or world changing. i suspect they got the punk label more for their stage act and image than anything musical. still love em but you get the impression they are more style than substance. same goes for the heartbreakers, lots of nice catchy rock songs but subject matter like baby i love you and goin steady is somewhat yawn inducing and not really punk. gimme what is this shit called love or dead end america any day. the pagans were a band that started out raw and got rawer.

also, i thought the reunion was great. yeah coulda done without the ten minute version of gloria but other than that it was pretty much perfect. they played a good chunk of their best stuff, drunk and sloppy like it should be. mike hudson is not a young man anymore and he was partying hard.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 11:57 pm

i mean, most of the best dead boys songs were actually rocket from the tombs, and a comparison to what they have been up to lately i would take a 20 minute drunken pagans reunion over that crap any day.
Posted: Jul 24, 2012 11:49 am

I missed the Pagans' "reunion"; I saw the original bands. The Dead Boys could really bring it. The Pagans, not so much. I don't know how you could expect guys 50+ to play the same way/same sound as they did 35 years ago.

You're right, Brad, their songs pretty much hew to the r 'n r tried-and-true song structure. But besides raising the bar a couple dozen feet in terms of energy and stage presence, songs like "Sonic Reducer" (granted, a RFTT number) and "I Need More" were thematically light years away from crap like the Eagles or power pop stuff like Eric Carmen established.

The "reunion" tour of RFTT back in 2004 (?) with Richard Lloyd was killer. Cheetah Chrome is a total no bullshit player -- no pedals, straight into the amp, he gets it live all the way.

the Northern Ohio sound was never as rich as the Detroit/SE Michigan sound. But DEVO's art weirdness sure was a breath of fresh air, albeit perfumed with rubber stench.

Black Keys sure have been able to run with that sound and are now playing arena rock to crowds of spudboys. Huh, go figure.
Posted: Jul 24, 2012 9:12 pm

live pagans record is better than night of the living dead boys by far. i admit i am too young to have seen either band in their prime but i was a vhs tape trader for many years and have several dead boys sets on tape, chewing gum off the floor or pinning bologna to your shirt does not blow my mind, but maybe its because i wasnt there. whatever. all i know is that dead boys sound boring to me, i sold their records and dont really care about them anymore but the pagans still sound great to these ears, oh well, to each their own i guess. i do still blast rocket from the tombs on the reg tho, 30 seconds over tokyo, wow...
Posted: Jul 25, 2012 12:26 am

That Cleveland Confidential comp is pretty badass too..
Posted: Jul 25, 2012 1:00 am

to my 90s sensibilities the dead boys were electric frankenstein and the pagans were new bomb turks. i just dont see the amazing amount of energy in the dead boys. i get the stiv pretending he's iggy and cheetah is a weird looking motherfucker who is aces on the guitar, but blitz and the rest of em are just a plodding 70s rock machine that never manages to take it beyond second gear. they just dont sound that punk to me, certainly nothing that compares to "i juvenile". is there even swearing on young loud and snotty??? i think dead boys were all about an image and gave it up as soon as they realized it wasnt going to make them rich and famous.
Posted: Oct 2, 2012 12:49 am | Edited by: bradx

THE ONIONS covering pretty please me last saturday with rev norb...

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 2:02 am

That's a Quick song, not the Dickies
Posted: Oct 2, 2012 2:42 am

thanks fucker. the dickies played it though. we're doing the dickies version, obviously. we also played give it back, poodle party, you drive me ape, gigantor, and 3 others not shown on the video...
Posted: Oct 2, 2012 11:57 am

now you just need to cover your own pick of old kiddie cartoon show theme songs, Banana Splits is taken.

How about HR Pufnstuf? or did somebody already do that ? (i'm sure)
Posted: Oct 2, 2012 12:50 pm

The Super Chicken theme is ripe for a cover...

as is Tom Slick...

JAY WARD BITCHES
Posted: Oct 2, 2012 7:15 pm | Edited by: sdestroyer

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 1:15 am

unsung awesome: MX-80 Sound
Posted: Oct 5, 2012 12:20 pm

^^^^ "like Sun Ra plays with the Stooges on Mars"
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Bantam Rooster covering DEVO is better than the Dickies
Posted: Nov 1, 2012 5:39 am

Posted: Nov 5, 2012 2:59 am

from last night THE ONIONS w rev norb as THE DICKIES!!!

Posted: Nov 5, 2012 4:51 am

http://kiwi6.com/file/hi797477om

audio file of the full set, recorded using my 1965 reel to reel recorder...
Posted: Nov 5, 2012 9:42 am

Posted: Nov 5, 2012 5:56 pm

1965 reel to reel recorder...

sounds killer...Room Mics? Soundboard feed? How did you do it Daugs?
Posted: Nov 5, 2012 11:20 pm

two mics, one on each side of the stage.
Posted: Nov 6, 2012 12:38 am | Edited by: R Holotrash

the new devo stuff sucks. they're physically too old to play their instruments. their drummer is some kind of session robot. i saw mark mothersbaugh smiling and scratching a facial itch on separate occasions.

the ultracore thing rules. i don't know if that's a real record or not but its great.
Posted: Nov 6, 2012 1:50 am

you are insane to imply they are too old to play, as if thats even possible. if you think the new stuff sucks either you havent given it a fair chance or you are not really a fan of the band. its easily the best album they have released since the mid 80s.

Posted: Nov 7, 2012 10:47 am

sorry if i was being inflammatory there but bob 1 is playing a les paul in that video and strolling around like he lost his slippers. mark plays a stratocaster now. they have a deal with line 6 to play a bunch of modelling amplifiers. if i have to like that to be a real devo fan you can go ahead and be the real devo fan.

maybe the age thing was off. i know older guys that fucking shred. maybe they need more drugs or to get out of la or something. something is wrong here.
Posted: Nov 7, 2012 11:31 am

c'mon dude, they're just devolving .... just like they predicted!
Posted: Nov 7, 2012 7:30 pm

two mics, one on each side of the stage.

sounds killer...good band too.

Gotta get that devo album. Haven't listened to em in a while.
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 2:00 am | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

[url=http://youtu.be/Fo163UjDb3E][/url]
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 12:06 pm

And since i couldn't delete my last post,also this:
<http://youtu.be/0Xqx31g9Mes>
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 2:20 pm

for Joe

Posted: Nov 20, 2012 2:46 am

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 4:14 am

Rev Norb and THE ONIONS as The Dickies Halloween and Christmas Audio CD and DVD Video Golden Treasury Collectors Edition

$6ppd USA, $10 elsewhere

paypal braddaugs@yahoo.com

Compliments of the day to you!

Summer 2012 I proposed the idea of a Dickies cover set for Halloween to Rev Norb. We had recently recorded songs together with my band, THE ONIONS and it seemed an obvious idea, given Norb's love of the Dickies.

Norb agreed and we talked about practicing, but that never happened. As a band, THE ONIONS learned the songs, but our first time playing them with Norb was at one of the four gigs we ended up doing.

I recorded our second gig, at the Eagles Club in Green Bay, on 4 track cassette. The next weekend we played Milwaukee and I brought out the reel to reel for a stereo 2 track recording.

Friends video recorded parts of all four shows, and I also found footage on YouTube and put together a DVD. At the same time, I culled the best version of each song's audio from the analog medium and created a music CD.

track listing (same on CD and DVD):

pretty please me
give it back
poodle party
paranoid
you drive me ape
walk like an egg
fan mail
manny moe and jack
communication breakdown
gigantor

and...

BONUS TRACK (on audio CD)
west of the east - unreleased basement demo/LP outtake

http://bradxtapesondemand.webs.com/
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 1:35 am

So anyway i was attempting to post a compare-and-contrast of Dickies and Devo appearances on TV at the time... Devo got on Square Pegs and Fridays (w/ a hilarious between song appearance in character shooting down the amorous advances of a cast member!) but who got to be on the same show w/ original Punk Don Rickles? I mean,that's gotta count for something,right?

Just keepin' the thread alive... also just sayin'!
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 3:00 am

Sweet baby Jesus this thread won't die... For the record, when I posted it, I was doing dishes, half crocked, and had Dawn of on the turntable.. Which, at the time, was the most absolutely perfect collection of musical compositions I'd ever heard... Again.... Great thing about blanket statements is the discussion they engender... Keep it up kids!
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 10:58 am

I know which I'd rather see live these days....
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm

so which is it????
Posted: Dec 3, 2012 2:49 pm | Edited by: trickknee

Never cared for the Dickies, and unless I missed a Black Flag or Stooges shout-out above, Devo are the best band mentioned on this thread. They hit on every point, from music (great rnr band/great songs/hooks) to innovation (numerous ideological and technological advancements) to the fact that they formed as an answer to the Kent riots, bridging the hippie and punk eras more convincingly than any other band. They were playing their "hits" already in 1972. An art band that for a time rocked harder than any "real" band. The kicker is that they are the best of all the punk/wave reunion bands. I've seen them 3 times in 3 cities and they killed it every time.

Brad is also right about the Dead Boys, I know they had a rip-roaring live presence, but the records just don't do much for me. Pagans are the ultimate snot/scumbag punk rock band, regardless of whether they could pull it off live as "a show."
Posted: Dec 4, 2012 12:40 pm

so we should credit the Pagans for inventing "snotrock"?
Posted: Dec 18, 2012 12:48 pm

OK, so Stan Lee owned Iggy's cheetah jacket:

The saga of IGGY POP'S JACKET returns 18 years later when Iggy's Jacket turns up on the back of Stan Lee, lead guitarist of the Dickies in the pages of Rolling Stone. Ruby Ray's picture shows Stan half heartedly assuming the Raw Power stance. The interview starts with Vale's recognition
"The jacket looks like the one Iggy wore on Raw Power!".
"It IS Iggy's jacket - I got it in a dope deal a few years ago. He didn't have the bucks so I took that for collateral. For a while, he couldn't afford it back, and now he's a rich bitchin' Iggy, he tried to buy it back and I said NO!..."

so Dickies get some cred points. I think Iggy's cheetah jacket wouldn't be arty enough for the DEVO crowd.

http://wonderworkshop.co.uk/iggy-pop.html

NOW, when will Iggy cover the Banana Splits theme song????
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®