Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / 33 --> 45 --> 33 --> 33 ...
Posted: Jul 1, 2012 5:15 pm

Can anyone think of an LP where a band has mixed up 33 tracks with 45 tracks? Not talking one side at 33, one side at 45 - but where you'd actually have to change the speed over and over during the course of the record. Listening to Horndog Fest just made me think of it (though i know they didn't do it on that album).
Posted: Jul 1, 2012 5:49 pm

can't think of it, but it sounds familiar, maybe something from industrial or RRR?
Posted: Jul 1, 2012 7:24 pm

"Not talking one side at 33, one side at 45 "

I got a few boxes of these in my basement. The problem of listening to each side of your test pressing on different days...
Posted: Jul 1, 2012 7:26 pm

boyd rice?
Posted: Jul 1, 2012 9:00 pm

is that even possible?
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 8:10 am

did moby grape do something weird like this on a track from their second album?
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 8:58 am

is that even possible?

I don't think it's possible to switch the speed up in the middle of the pressing, but that's not to say you couldn't speed up (or slow down) the music by a factor of 45/33 or vice versa.

That said, there was a Hank III picture disc that Goner had somehow gotten a couple of copies of. I'm not, nor do I believe Eric is, a fan of Hank III, but he played me the record. It was weird, psychedelic blues/train sounds/satanic shit, really fucking cool; so I bought it. He, nor I, could figure out what speed to play it on. Some of it sounded better at 33 and other stuff at 45. Figure what I said above was what was going on.
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 12:24 pm

Butthole Surfers 'Hairway To Steven' LP, the first song on side 1 plays at 45, the rest of side 1 plays at 33, you need to change speeds, it always drives me crazy, which I guess was the intention.
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 1:26 pm

did moby grape do something weird like this on a track from their second album?

it was a track that played at 78, though I've never heard it...

Speaking of which, I bought the Luther Dickinson 78 at Record Store Day though I still don't have any way to play it.

The Pink Slip Daddy 10" EP from 1989 has a gatefold cover parodying Beggars Banquet. Pink vinyl, one side plays at 33 while the other plays at 45. One side, I forget which, plays from the inside out while the other has two sets of grooves so you have to put the needle down twice to hear all the songs, like Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief. I guess they figured they'd put all the gimmicks together on one record.
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 1:39 pm

that's not to say you couldn't speed up (or slow down) the music by a factor of 45/33 or vice versa.

right.
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 1:46 pm

You could do this if you had a nutty mastering dude and their cutting machine would change speeds mid-album. I'm sure it's been done with some experimental home lathe cutters or some similar nuts. The RRR 200 locked groove record with 200 little locked grooves is wacked enough... can't imagine who mastered that!
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 2:45 pm

The RRR 200 locked groove record with 200 little locked grooves

You mean the 500 locked groove dbl lp?
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 6:23 pm

Posted: Jul 2, 2012 7:06 pm

yeah, forgot about moby grape, and i have the record
Posted: Jul 2, 2012 10:03 pm

I bought a copy of the 1,000 locked groove record. Fuckin' waste of money. You can't play the record if you got the shakes or have had too much caffiene cuz you're liable to miss some of the two second songs. I got a shitty pop punk rec from the '90s where it doesn't sound right on 33 or 45.
Posted: Jul 6, 2012 5:19 am

Limes - Old Evil River (SSLD) sounds brilliant to me on both 33 and 45.
The first weeks I played it on 45 rpm before I found out it was meant to be played at 33 rpm.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®