Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Fuck you all, I like Led Zeppelin.
Posted: May 22, 2012 2:51 am

It's true.
Ocean Song is hard to front on. Immigrant Song and Boogie With Stu, too. Night Flight is particularly great.
Sure, the albums were FULL of overdubs; I consider one quality of a good band: "Can they pull it off live?"
Led Zeppelin? Surely not, but it was about the riff. And almost all footage I've seen, it's still about the riff. Then a long, multi-layred solo. Does Led Zeppelin REALLY offend you that much? You know what I find offensive? Star Trek; in all it's permutations, it is utopian-wishful non-sense, with a penchant for patronization and heavy-handed alegory. And, fuck, you hate me for liking Yes.
Aside from that, the records rock. I still prefer them over Thin Lizzy (and I've listened to a lot of Thin Lizzy for a few years now, trying to figure out why they are so revered). Thin Lizy has MAYBE 10 good riffs, Led Zeppelin has 50. I get it. Black Irishman. Whatevs.
Hate on it all you want. I'll have a firm middle finger for you the next time I see you and your friends download Journey's "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezen'" from the jukebox.
Posted: May 22, 2012 4:35 am

Zeppelin has many good songs, but they also got Robert Planet singin that shit.
Anyways, i like Led Zeppelin II and III and some very good songs on their other records, but no matter how good it gets, they should have had Paul Rodgers on vocals.

Nobody hates you because you like Yes. Where did you get that crazy idea. It's just funny.
Don't like the band or their music, but Steve Howe is a true seventies hero of mine.

Cheer up Jack.
Peter Gabriel during his Genenis period is also a true seventies hero of mine, and I think I only like 3 of the songs - bootlegversions, so they really rock - on all the records they made, they rest is fuckin horrible.
That was a band who could pull it off live.
What they did in the stdio was the same as wat they did on stage: bore the fuck out of you.
But those 3 songs are huge treasures of mine.

And yes sir, Star Trek sucks like nothing else.

But Thin Lizzy rules.
Posted: May 22, 2012 4:40 am | Edited by: Ding Le Dangle

for his riffs, Page is very, VERY underrated,
for his solo's he is very overrated
Posted: May 22, 2012 4:45 am

yes is fine
star trek does suck
as does the zep but only in the same way that the beatles do
tired of listening to gumps go on and on about how they are the only band that matters

thin lizzy is better

plants voice is a big detraction for me, but the voices of their fans are an even bigger detraction. Did I already tell the story about knocking out the shitty line cook who wouldn't shut up about jimmy page and how sabbath was a joke compared to them? pow boom to the moon. fuck you, pal

I did like Immigrant Song but I thought it was Heart, probably the b side to Barracuda or something.

fuck paul rodgers, dude couldn't carry freddy mercury's dildo
Posted: May 22, 2012 5:02 am

O yeah, Freddy Mercury singin in Led Zeppelin!
Finally a recipe for a cyanidepil.
Posted: May 22, 2012 9:52 am

Bobby Plant wasn't one of the best, but that doesn't really matter, Zep still rules.

So does Thin Lizzy.

Anybody who knows anything know that Steve Mariott and Freddie Mercury were the best rock singers of all time.
Posted: May 22, 2012 9:58 am

Shit,
now I have to wash my brain again.
Posted: May 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm pretty sure Jack's post was largely directed at me.
Posted: May 22, 2012 1:58 pm

you two shouldn't get in trouble now there's a glimp of a new Gonerfest at the horizon.

Better leave the bullshitbattles to the assholes (me 'n me mates).

I want sound and picture man. For fuck's sake. Starts working on that.

Last year I missed the whole goddamned thing. Still sick about that.
Posted: May 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Jack, Luke, please block all Dutch IPs.
Posted: May 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Nobody hates you because you like Yes.
They just question the "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" era that you enjoy.

Boogie With Stu rules!
Posted: May 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Page has terrific riffs. I like his solos as well though, because they're kind of sloppy and simple melodic scales. Just a part of his riff thing. Live, maybe they coulda' used another guitarist. Wonder if they ever considered it? Sometimes in the live footage there are giant holes where the opposing riff should go, unlike Sabbath, where I almost never miss the overdub. Plants singing doesn't bother me.
Posted: May 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Plants singing doesn't bother me.

I agree. I love me some zeppelin.

Guess you guys don't like this either:

Posted: May 23, 2012 12:44 am

"Owner Of A Lonely Heart"

And guess who came up with that riff?
Jimmy Page, sir.
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:02 am

I thought it was Trevor Horn who wrote that song, seriously.
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:06 am

Nope. Jimmy Page, Chris Squire, Alan White and John Anderson had a band for a hot minute, prior to the "LA" Yes. Howe quit after the Drama record and went over to Asia.
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:09 am

well, he is mentioned as co-writer of that song

it's true
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:13 am

Weird. Read other interviews that said different.
Either way FUCK YOU ALL, I LOVE YES, TOO.
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:19 am

p.s. I love Nanne, too.
Posted: May 23, 2012 3:11 am

plant sucks. yeah guy, dont even bother trying to hit the notes or put any sort of real effort into it. just kinda mumble along, thats really cool, there. right on.

Posted: May 23, 2012 7:25 am

He's not a good singer but I've never let that get in the way. Off key mumbling? Try on some Tav records and then let me know if any of us have enough high ground to look down upon poor, poor Robert. HA!
Posted: May 23, 2012 9:20 am

I still practice my drums while listening to some Led Zeppelin. John Bonham was fucking great. I can't wait for the new band to cover Moby Dick with our own extended version with Potter playing a tambourine solo!
Posted: May 23, 2012 11:24 am

I am starting to warm up to them. I think I just have a bad opinion because I used to live with a guy who thought he was John Bonham and ended up slashing the tires of my then-drummer now-guitarist's car because he got kicked out of another band. And then he had a really bad drinking problem and went to jail because he stabbed someone in the neck. Anyway, I like how Lez Zeppelins songs sound like car rides.
Posted: May 23, 2012 11:51 am

(He also smelled my panties and masturbated in them. The end.)
Posted: May 23, 2012 12:00 pm

is that what changed your mind?
Posted: May 23, 2012 12:51 pm

(He also smelled my panties and masturbated in them. The end.)

Bonham would've done the same thing.
Posted: May 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Posted: May 23, 2012 5:59 pm

He's not a good singer but I've never let that get in the way. Off key mumbling? Try on some Tav records and then let me know if any of us have enough high ground to look down upon poor, poor Robert. HA!

apples and oranges. thing is, plant sounds great on record in my opinion, and i doubt they would have had the impact they did if he sang on the records the way he does live. it sucks watching the rest of the band rocking and putting full effort into playing while plant just phones it in and doesnt even attempt to hit the proper notes.
Posted: May 23, 2012 6:18 pm

it sucks watching the rest of the band rocking and putting full effort into playing while plant just phones it in and doesnt even attempt to hit the proper notes.

Someone's got to be responsible for getting the girls back to the hotel.
Posted: May 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Sorry, I meant luring not getting. I didn't mean to imply that Plant was the bus driver.
Posted: May 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Posted: May 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Never been a fan but Bonham does rule. I have a box set of 10 singles - from New Zealand of all places - called the "Ten Legendary Singles." It's all the Zep I'll ever need.
Posted: May 24, 2012 8:55 am

Didn't realize you were speaking about that clip in particular. Well, he's saving his voice on that one fer sure. He's not missing the notes. Just singing them lower. You gotta pick your battles when you're on a 6 month world tour and deliver every night. I remember reading somewhere that all that falsetto shit was killing his throat. He prett much abondoned that singing style for his solo stuff. It seems a mess all the way around though. Bonham seems to loose his place a couple times and Page is attempting to fuse both guitar parts into one with poor results. And the biggest caveat of all, this is not their prime or even close to when they recorded the song. PS I love talking about zep on the goner board.
Posted: May 24, 2012 9:02 am

Plant ruined his highest falsetto during the recording of the first record.
On Led Zeppelin II he already had to 'tone down'.
No shit.
Posted: May 24, 2012 9:11 am

Plant lives here in Austin now...
Posted: May 24, 2012 9:25 am

about 7-8 years ago, there was an approx 20-year-old intern in my office for the summer. he wore a led zeppelin shirt one day.

taking a break from my usual "i hate people" mode, I commented on his shirt. he said, excitedly, "oh, you've heard led zeppelin?!?"

we never spoke again.
Posted: May 24, 2012 9:28 am

Zep is one of those bands that I never "got"...even in middle schgool/H.S. when they were still active and EVERYBODY smoked cigs/weed in the parking lot blasting them from 8-tracks...I didnt like them then and after revisiting them over and over I still dont.

I couldnt even pretend to like them long enuff to diddle a stoner chick...lost more then a few sure things by stating my dislike for them.

One thing that I learned after all these years is that they had a badass rhythm section...and two complete twats on guitar and vocals...

Heresy I know.
Posted: May 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Jimmy Page invented garage rock....Marc Bolan's "the Third Degree" and a bazillion other Decca mid-sixties singles.

Dont bother with your Norton-approved Sonics and Wailers lessons...they were kick ass R&B bands that were already light years ahead of their zit-faced American counterparts...
Posted: May 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Zep is one of those bands that I never "got"...even in middle schgool/H.S. when they were still active and EVERYBODY smoked cigs/weed in the parking lot blasting them from 8-tracks...I didnt like them then and after revisiting them over and over I still dont.

ditto.
i hated the blues based screech rock with the ponderous beat and lame themes.
"Houses of the Holy" --- pfffffttttt.
Posted: May 24, 2012 1:07 pm

about 7-8 years ago, there was an approx 20-year-old intern in my office for the summer. he wore a led zeppelin shirt one day.

taking a break from my usual "i hate people" mode, I commented on his shirt. he said, excitedly, "oh, you've heard led zeppelin?!?"

That story is remarkably similar to something that happened to me a few years back. I'm chatting to the boss' nephew while waiting for a ride home. He said he was going to see a concert that night at a particular venue, but he wouldn't tell me who he was going to see, implying that an old fart like me could never have heard of this particular artiste. I looked it up in the paper. It was Thomas Dolby. He was right. Never heard of him. No one in America who was a teenager in the 1980's has ever heard of Thomas Dolby. Ha! Ha!
Posted: May 24, 2012 1:48 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

ZEP RULES!!

God bless my brother for dubbing all their records for me when i was 9 years old.
Posted: May 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Posted: May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Robert Plant may be the worst singer to ever sell more than 1000 records, but at least he had nothing to do with this epic turd...

Posted: May 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Me too, but the overexposure on classic rock radio has me almost completely burned out on them. I stick to bootlegs and the BBC sessions whenever I'm in the mood to get the Led out.
Posted: May 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Didn't realize you were speaking about that clip in particular.

actually i think what i wrote stands for the entire song remains the same film. the whole thing plant sucks, and there is no excuse because obviously he was aware they were making a movie out of it.
Posted: May 24, 2012 4:07 pm

He's not missing the notes. Just singing them lower.

i call that cheating. sing it like the album or do a different song. that song in particular is rock n roll, its not meant to be sung low.

shit, little richard is still out there giving it, and he might have dumped a bunch of verses to save his voice, but he still belts out those choruses and screams and shouts.

no excuse for plant
Posted: May 24, 2012 4:49 pm

It would be funny if he was fucking with you instead of expressing actual enthusiastic disbelief.
Posted: May 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Robert Plant may be the worst singer to ever sell more than 1000 records, but at least he had nothing to do with this epic turd...

Wow, this is even worse than I remember it.
Posted: May 24, 2012 5:59 pm

"The Firm" --- NOT!
Posted: May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

"The Firm"

I sold the shit out of that record at the store but studiously avoided ever, ever listening to it. I'm happy to say I have maintained that record ever since.
Posted: May 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Wow. It should be required listening to all aspiring sound engineers. It has the worst of the worst of 80's gated reverb snare sounds, along with the most wretched elastic bass sound imaginable. A long way from Misty Mountain Hop, that's for damn sure. 100% vile.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®