Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Netflix instant watch
Posted: May 21, 2012 6:15 pm

What's on there right now that's worth watching? I sit down almost every night with the intention of picking something out, but the sheer amount of what's available is overwhelming and I end up just turning on the TV. It also seems like they've removed a lot of the cool shit they used to have. Recommendations?
Posted: May 21, 2012 7:00 pm

mark of the devil
witchfinder general
the baby
deep red
inferno
peeping tom
death rides a horse
on any sunday
charley varrick
repo man
chud
the seven ups
across 110th street
the taking of pelham one two three
trickbaby
the sentinel
the stuff
which way is up
fritz the cat
Posted: May 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Legends of the Fall
The Making of Paranoid
Posted: May 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Saxondale
Posted: May 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Saxondale
Dang, used to be on instant but looks like no more.
Posted: May 21, 2012 9:34 pm

They just added Drive...I liked that flick a lot

I find myself mainly watching tv series....I tend to buy movies....check out Spaced and the original british Office if you haven't seen them....Breaking Bad and Dexter are also on there,if you haven't gotten around to them.
Posted: May 22, 2012 7:21 am

I tried to watch the making of 2112 and Moving Pictures but got bored. Neil Peart sounds like a voice-over guy.
Posted: May 22, 2012 9:41 am

breaking bad yay
also documentary called KNUCKLE about a bunch of pikey boxers is really good.
Posted: May 22, 2012 10:00 am

Patterns (great 50s film written by Rod Serling)
The Ruling Class
Lord Love a Duck
Chinatown
The Lady Eve
Hail the Conquering Hero
Duck Soup
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy
Posted: May 22, 2012 10:27 am

Carlos
Both the Mesrine films
Drive
Accused (good BBC mini-series)
Gomorrah
Triad Election
Rapt
Cold Fish
Winter's Bone
Posted: May 22, 2012 11:38 am

Spaced is awesome! If that's available instantly.

I'm on a Larry Sanders Show kick, currently.

Recently I've watched a lot of standup: Doug Stanhope, Bill Hicks, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, the Comedians of Comedy... etc.

Trying to be less serious about being serious.
Posted: May 22, 2012 3:57 pm

They just put this doc up on netflix. Haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to...

Posted: May 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Also, they added the stand up, Rudy Ray Moore is Rude! (this isn't an actual clip):

Posted: May 23, 2012 5:59 am

Thanks for posting that teen a go go clip. Too bad I cancelled my netflix because it is so lame in general. That Fort Worth scene has always been one of my favorites. Those Big Beat Major Bill anthologies http://paradiseofgaragecomps.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-post_1960.html kill and were huge favorites of mine back in the day. Definitely one of the best garage scenes of the 60's.

It's weird to see faces and stories attached to the music, because to me it was always some weird mythologized thing that couldn't possibly have been produced by real people. Somehow back in the 80's that time period (of raw garage music) seemed even farther removed than it does now with all of the electronic access to footage and songs posted etc. Back when I first heard the music it was like a mysterious revelation...
Posted: May 23, 2012 6:59 am

We remember throwing them in the lake.

hahahahaha... That looks great. added both, thanks chix!
Posted: May 23, 2012 8:37 am

Back when I first heard the music it was like a mysterious revelation...

reminds me of first hearing mummies, oblivians, supercharger, gories, 'slicks...the years on the records didn't seem to fit with the music, but neither did any other year. world warp.

"couldn't possibly have been produced by real people..." definitely remember that feeling.
Posted: May 23, 2012 1:36 pm

That was a great feeling when you could randomly stumble upon something not knowing the first thing about it or what the story behind it was. I worked at Rounder Distribution warehouse that had the most amazing selection of independent music ranging from 20's country blues to jazz to rock n roll and even some indie rock stuff. I remember a whole shelf of Sun RA hand painted record sleeves that was just sitting there. Wish I had bought all of them as they go for outrageous sums now, let alone that the music is fantastic. I just didn't have much money back then (or now). Still picked up a lot of great stuff and learned copious amounts from the people who worked there. There was always one expert on any given type of music who could be turned to for great information. Rounder doesn't exist anymore, and the label name that exists is a brand only type of deal. It has been bought by a bigger label for its past reputation in the folk and roots music world.
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Snuff Box (two guys that have been in the likes of IT Crowd, Mighty Boosh, etc.)
Peep Show
Louie
Sons of Anarchy
The Passing Show (Life and Music of Ronnie Lane)
Melancholia
Antichrist
Scott Walker: 30 Century Man
Metropolis
Countess Dracula
Dirty Money (Melville crime caper with Alain Delon)
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:09 pm

They also have loads of Jean Rollin sexy vampire flicks.
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:18 pm

babe pig in the city (watch it quick ends june 1st)
three oclock high (same here)
dear zachary
death rides a horse
rockers
don't torture a duckling
my name is nobody
kids in the hall
troll 2
gore gore girls
wild in the streets
willie dynamite
parents
crawlspace
winnebago man
Posted: May 23, 2012 2:38 pm

detroit 9000
Posted: May 23, 2012 3:10 pm

They just added Drive...I liked that flick a lot

Yeah, was totally surprised at how much I liked that one.

I just watched a campy australian movie called Dead End Drive In that wasn't too bad.

I've also gotten into a lot these true-crime type tv shows like Solved, Disappeared, Extreme Forensics, etc. They're all done by Discovery or something.
Posted: May 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Watched Rockers a few weeks back, made me feel totally irie.
Posted: May 23, 2012 4:25 pm | Edited by: Jesse Garon

The videostore down the street from us is closing, and selling off their entire stock for $5/each.

Sure, y'all could care less, but this has led us to proclaim:

"THE DEATH OF BROWSING"

in the future, everything will be fed to you by computerized algorhythms, you will never be taken in by a "cool" cover or propinquity or even some Quentin Tarantino-esq clerk's recommendation....
Posted: May 23, 2012 4:46 pm

I used to live for recommending wildly inappropriate movies to the random browser.
Posted: May 23, 2012 6:24 pm

This probably isn't on there.

Posted: May 23, 2012 9:03 pm

babe pig in the city (watch it quick ends june 1st)

my ex insisted that movie was amazing to watch stoned. i balked for a while, but i'll be damned if she wasn't right! that was one weird fucking flick...
Posted: May 23, 2012 9:13 pm

all time favorite
Posted: May 24, 2012 12:37 pm

in the future, everything will be fed to you by computerized algorhythms, you will never be taken in by a "cool" cover or propinquity or even some Quentin Tarantino-esq clerk's recommendation....

This is a total bummer. It's already come to this. I used to go to the local video store owned by an old frail-looking guy. He used to put little stickers on all the movies that he recommended, and I'll be damned if he didn't blow my mind with some of those. He had a pretty extensive collection of Troma movies, B-horror flicks, and cult classics.

Flipping through "categories" on netflix is nowhere near as cool.
Posted: May 24, 2012 2:51 pm | Edited by: The Troll

I meant to post a longer list, but, here's a few I've been watching lately:
Senna
Luther
Shameless (the original UK version)
Workaholics
Parking lot movie
Deadend Drive-In
Night of the Comet
Machete Maidens Unleashed
Not Quite Hollywood
Deep Water
Coal
Shut Up, Little Man
Trollhunter
Dark Days
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish versions)
Blah
Posted: May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Watched Torremolinos 73 last night and was surprised to see Matto in the starring role. And yes, ladies, he gets an abundant amount of sex scenes.

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 4:05 pm

Newish skateboarder doc, Dragonslayer, is pretty good.
Posted: Jun 3, 2012 8:30 pm

Knuckle will make you take a knife and surgically remove any Irish you might have in you. Good times.
Posted: Jun 3, 2012 8:58 pm

Not Quite Hollywood

This doc is great..must see...I want on an Aussie exploitation tear after watching it.
Posted: Jun 3, 2012 8:58 pm

Newish skateboarder doc, Dragonslayer, is pretty good.

Kid kills it (acid drop revert in backyard pool is brutal) when he's not wasted but... I had to go watch Epicly Later'd again after it.
Posted: Jun 4, 2012 1:59 am

John Cardiel doc. epicly later'd did is beyond Inspirational ! John Cardiel is one of the all time great athletes. It's on.
Posted: Jun 4, 2012 2:31 pm

Angels of Evil is a pretty good gangster flick. True story about Renato Vallanzasca who became a, sort of, mythical Italian anti-hero following a series of robberies, kidnappings and prison escapes in the 70s. Not quite as good as the Mesrine films but it's worth a watch.
Posted: Jun 4, 2012 3:51 pm

I thought the Mesrine films were awful. Vincent Casale was good but the films were poo.
Posted: Jun 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Anyone seen Teen A Go Go about the sixties garage scene in Texas?

Thoughts?
Posted: Jun 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Anyone seen Teen A Go Go about the sixties garage scene in Texas?

Thoughts?

I'm about 80% done watching it. I was hoping for a few more stories about how the scene worked and the bands. Instead it seems that too many interviews result in "it was a real cool time" type answers without too much follow up explanation.
Posted: Jun 16, 2012 2:55 am

I thought the Mesrine films were awful. Vincent Casale was good but the films were poo.

I can see that. I don't think they are great by any means but I'm easliy entertained by that type of film. I dig pretty much anything Cassel is in for the most part. I even liked his film that was directed by Costas Gavras son.
Posted: Jun 16, 2012 10:27 am

Black Belly of the Tarantula
Nude For Satan
Trailer Park Boys
King of the Hill
Dark Shadows
Ken Burns National Parks
Larry Sanders
Posted: Jun 16, 2012 11:42 am

Auntie Mame

This movie ruled. Roz Russell ruled. So funny.

I kept wondering how many times Wes Anderson must have watched this movie as an aspiring filmmaker.

Queue it!
Posted: Jun 16, 2012 11:45 am

Just watched Blackthorn last night. Really good revisionist western about Butch Cassidy's later years in Bolivia. Sam Shepard is great as Cassidy and the guy who play's Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones makes an appearance as Cassidy in his younger years. It's not Peckinpah violent but it's not a The Assassination of Jesse James... slow mover either.
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Ghost Adventures. Jocked out guy intimidates spirits with his shitty friends. "WHooooaa dude, did you hear that??!!" i highly recommend it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®