Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / School me on the Rolling Stones...
Posted: May 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Where should i start? I'm familiar with "The Jumping Jack Flash" from the Whoopi Goldberg movie.
Posted: May 19, 2012 6:15 pm

that's all you need
Posted: May 19, 2012 7:45 pm

"Emotional Rescue" is a good place to start.
Posted: May 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Undercover is probably their most significant collection of pieces.
Posted: May 19, 2012 10:00 pm

They've had their moments throughout their career, but Dirty Work is probably their best overall.
Posted: May 19, 2012 10:40 pm

"Emotional Rescue" is a good place to start.

My favorite.

Mick Jagger is on SNL right now.
Posted: May 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Not everyone really "gets" the stones. They've just got too much soul for most people.
Posted: May 20, 2012 1:13 am

they are best interpreted by gabor szabo. sometimes by a german organ player if you really want to get to the heart of the matter. i heard about some nice boots tonight, too.
Posted: May 20, 2012 1:20 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

this is the beginning and end of all you need to know about the Rolling Stones

HEY, FOOL! GO TO SCHOOL
Posted: May 20, 2012 2:20 am

Get Hot Rocks. Exile on Main st. If you take hallucinogens, get their satanic majesties request/".
Posted: May 20, 2012 2:31 am

I really like Beggars Banquit
others I like are already mentioned
Posted: May 20, 2012 6:15 am

Undercover is probably their most significant collection of pieces.

They've had their moments throughout their career, but Dirty Work is probably their best overall.

So true. Once you've gotten these, your best bet is to seek out Bill Wyman's solo albums "Monkey Grip" and "Stone Alone," and then that one that has the one about being a rock star in France.
Posted: May 20, 2012 9:22 am

...and a bill wyman signature metal finder
Posted: May 20, 2012 11:33 am

HEY, FOOL! GO TO SCHOOL

that's what i was saying!
Posted: May 20, 2012 12:15 pm

I had a friend give me a dvd rip of "Cocksucker Blues" Hadn't bothered watching it yet.....essential?
Posted: May 20, 2012 12:19 pm

I had a friend give me a dvd rip of "Cocksucker Blues" Hadn't bothered watching it yet.....essential?

Horrible. Burn it.

This is the most important cocksucking document to emerge from the Stones.

Posted: May 20, 2012 12:28 pm

WOW. I don't remember ever seeing that video...I must have as a kid, though because I remember the song......I guess that video does kind of confirm the rumours.
Posted: May 20, 2012 2:45 pm

This is a lot like the semi- annual X from Australia is better than that lame X from LA shit. It is either a need to be contrarian or pure voluntary ignorance. Stones are the most easy target on the planet because the 69 tour of the US was the absolute high point of a particular thing- and where do you go from there? Some pretty great moments and many truly odd ones.
Posted: May 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes yes. Of course the initial question was asked earnestly, and we have all been being contrarians or just really are extremely stupid. Lighten up, Francis!
Posted: May 20, 2012 3:16 pm

This is a lot like the semi- annual X from Australia is better than that lame X from LA shit. It is either a need to be contrarian or pure voluntary ignorance.

or a need to be a stick in the mud.

"The Jumping Jack Flash"

Posted: May 20, 2012 3:22 pm

I really like Beggars Banquit

i saw a copy of this at goodwill last weekend but i didn't get it because my record player only plays stereo. where do you buy a "mono" record player? do they still make those?
Posted: May 20, 2012 3:40 pm

cut the needle in half
Posted: May 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Horrible. Burn it.

Aw, come on, that's a little harsh. But it IS really fucking BORING for the most part.

Always liked Between the Buttons.
Posted: May 20, 2012 5:31 pm

More, or less, than the Beatles?
Posted: May 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Always liked Between the Buttons.

The first record I ever bought with my own money.

Still might be my favorite Stones record, tho I would admit Beggars Banquet is better and most would consider Exile better. I just don't like anything about Mick Taylor and his shitty noodling.
Posted: May 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Still might be my favorite Stones record, tho I would admit Beggars Banquet is better and most would consider Exile better. I just don't like anything about Mick Taylor and his shitty noodling.

I like the Taylor years, but Buttons is just ... different. Funny. Aftermath, too.

The only Stones era that I have no use for are the Ronnie Wood years, and "Some Girls" is over rated to me.
Posted: May 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Some Girls is ridiculously overrated, and I say that as someone who considers the Stones one of their favorite bands. I always thought Aftermath was the weakest of their early years, I never understood the love for that one. "I Am Waiting" is a great song though.
Posted: May 20, 2012 11:38 pm

COLE LIVES!!!
Posted: May 21, 2012 6:59 am

Some Girls is ridiculously overrated, and I say that as someone who considers the Stones one of their favorite bands. I always thought Aftermath was the weakest of their early years, I never understood the love for that one

Thank you, RSA! Those phase shifter guitars, "Respectable," "Just My Imagination,"... That stupid country song, you know the one, and don't get me started on "Shattered." They're my band, too, but I don't get that one. Everybody else loves it and it drove me nuts for years.

RE: "Aftermath:" How can you argue with "It's Not Easy" or "'Flight 505?"
Oh, well...
Posted: May 21, 2012 7:18 am

you people are STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck the title track and the cover
Posted: May 21, 2012 7:20 am

goats head soup is the best album though just so you know
Posted: May 21, 2012 12:20 pm

just don't hang around swimming pools with them.
Posted: May 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Let it Bleed
Posted: May 21, 2012 3:59 pm | Edited by: Will

MArk Beef is right. Some Girls is rad.

also, Undercover is far from the worst thing this band ever did. i'd say it's as good as B&B and GHS - which both kind of suck worse than their rep would let on imo
Posted: May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

also, Undercover is far from the worst thing this band ever did. i'd say it's as good as B&B and GHS - which both kind of suck worse than their rep would let on imo

Black and Blue is their very best work from the 1970's. I used to have it on a pink cassette. Richard(s) guitarwork is more focused than ever. He makes Andy Gill seem like Jackson Pollock. I'm Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones and I love it!
Posted: May 21, 2012 5:21 pm

I like thiss.

Posted: May 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Posted: May 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Ha! I was just about to post that one, too! Love that the Great Gaylord chose to cover that for one of the Norton's Stones splits!
Posted: May 21, 2012 10:02 pm

wait a minute, you already know the rolling stones...?
Posted: May 22, 2012 12:34 am

I feel like all five of the mick taylor era studio albums are essential. , I personally like goat's head soup and its only rocknroll more than about anything else they ever did...love you live is great too although that is with Ron wood the luckiest man in show bizness. stilla great record though the toronto side is a heater. um Beggar's Banquet is essential. Rolling Stones NOW! is an essential early stones record. I would recommend anything from 1962-1975 really. also I see now that you can buy stones live shows from different eras for five bucks a show thats pretty cool.
Posted: May 22, 2012 12:39 am

uhhhhhh...

Posted: May 22, 2012 9:41 am

Black and Blue is their very best work from the 1970's. I used to have it on a pink cassette. Richard(s) guitarwork is more focused than ever. He makes Andy Gill seem like Jackson Pollock. I'm Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones and I love it!

i won't front on the playing. but for me, the songs... are just not there. i'd frankly rather listen to It's Only RnR most days.
Posted: May 22, 2012 11:55 am

the songs... are just not there.

oh, they are there. you just are looking hard enough.
Posted: May 22, 2012 12:33 pm

People get hard about Brian Jones but he was such a terrible person that I can't get down w/him. He kept his women under his thumb, so to speak. [i]Old Gods Almost Dead[i] details this pretty well.
Posted: May 22, 2012 2:01 pm

this aint no thread for pussies, vegiburger,
or do you have a real begina too?
Posted: May 22, 2012 4:01 pm

used to work at a record store with this clown who said the Rolling Stones weren't worth listening to post-Brian Jones. Wonder if he ever knew how many of his favorite Stones records Brian didn't actually play on.
Posted: May 23, 2012 3:14 pm

They are greatest rock and roll band ever to emerge from England. Most of their records were listenable all the whole way through until "Emotional Rescue".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®