Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / MCA is a goner
Posted: May 4, 2012 12:20 pm

Posted: May 4, 2012 12:40 pm

i know it's popular to hate on the beastie boys but those first 3-4 albums are still played in my house.

in MCA's honor, i shall drink brass monkey & maybe stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.
Posted: May 4, 2012 12:45 pm

It is a bummer.

Paul's Boutique, the best in Men's clothing.

RIP MCA.
Posted: May 4, 2012 12:50 pm

RIP.

i know it's popular to hate on the beastie boys

I hear that!

5th/ 6th grade Windy used to sneak her jam box on the school bus to listen to the Beastie Boys. They will always have a spot in my rebellious heart.
Posted: May 4, 2012 1:07 pm

Why do you care if it's popular or not? Have you heard some of the crap these people listen to?

I like Paul's Boutique even more when folks get upset.
Posted: May 4, 2012 1:08 pm

Sucks. From GBs matinees to Madonna tour would have been rad enough. Then the Dust Brothers and Check yo Head? Easy to forget how fucking awesome and fun the Beasties were. RIP MCA
Posted: May 4, 2012 1:12 pm

Why do you care if it's popular or not?

meh - i don't. but over the past several years there have been plenty of people my age who grew up liking & listening to the beastie boys but now hate them. as if they are embarrassed because they used to like license to ill. i still listen to it now -- instant transport back to teen years.

I like Paul's Boutique even more when folks get upset.

paul's boutique is still one of my favorite albums of all time, any genre.
Posted: May 4, 2012 1:59 pm

paul's boutique is still one of my favorite albums of all time, any genre.

agreed.

even those throwaway remix albums and side projects are all worth a listen.

RIP
Posted: May 4, 2012 2:13 pm

DAMN! Only 47. RIP
Posted: May 4, 2012 2:34 pm

Why do you care if it's popular or not?

meh - i don't. but over the past several years there have been plenty of people my age who grew up liking & listening to the beastie boys but now hate them. as if they are embarrassed because they used to like license to ill. i still listen to it now -- instant transport back to teen years.

I am no kinda hater either, tho I am the one who named them on the "overrated" thread...simply because the Pitchfork-indie love of "accessible" hip-hop annoys the living shit out of me. Not for their lack of talent, longevity and inspiration. I met Ad-Rock one time, he was sweet as pie...I can only assume Adam Yauch was as well. Cancer at 47 is some sad-ass shit. RIP
Posted: May 4, 2012 2:39 pm

i had no idea it was popular to hate the beastie boys. i have no idea what is popular i guess. personally i love them and always have. white boy 80s rappers who also rock and play real instruments, did a punk record??? whats not to love???

this bums me out big time.
Posted: May 4, 2012 3:07 pm

Sucks! RIP Adam Yauch.
Posted: May 4, 2012 3:33 pm

they are embarrassed because they used to like license to ill

I was 26 when this came out and most people I knew around my age HATED HATED HATED it. Which made me and my roommates love it even more.

That record was definitely a "line in the sand."

RIP MCA.
Posted: May 4, 2012 3:49 pm

egg raid on the afterlife

RIP
Posted: May 4, 2012 3:56 pm

RIP
Posted: May 4, 2012 3:56 pm

rip. so sad.
Posted: May 4, 2012 3:59 pm

When I was a kid and caught the music video for Sabotage, I was hooked. I wanted to be one of them.

RIP
Posted: May 4, 2012 4:07 pm

i cried already and i have had tears in my eyes for a few hours now. i stopped listening after ill communication, but everything up to that album was a huge influence on my tastes and life mission.

R.I.P. YAUCH.
Posted: May 4, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for the laughs smiles and the schoolin' Yauch.
Posted: May 4, 2012 5:16 pm

they are embarrassed because they used to like license to ill

Not only do I still like it, it's still my favorite. I don't know anyone else that shares that opinion.
Posted: May 4, 2012 5:36 pm

I cried. I think the hugeness of check your head- every house be it punk, stoner or frat and the homies cruising by were all rocking that- at that moment, made it a bigger than anything. Again- such a loss. I cant explain why I am this bumbed other than the power of thier music. And i wouldve sounded dum saying that yesterday. Maybe cause "Sabotage" could put pdiidy and cows fans in the same place? And maybe cuz like Mudhoney or SY they remained the same band, interesting, easy to critique, but in front of the sights. Like I said earlier, they came from GBs and from a different time. And did so much.If in 89 someone woulda said a Daryl Jenniner hero who practised a steady sitting practice after fame be that cool that he could be thougt of as a peer? Just a cool ass guy that I am gladto have watched grow up arund me. And, ya MCA- Better than Murpy's Law but Fishbone owned the stage that night. All my rspect- Adam Yauch- Sleep well.
Posted: May 4, 2012 6:30 pm

This was a shock. I was honestly stunned.
I cannot say enough about Paul's Boutique. My freshman year of college was shaped around listening to this album.

The In Sounds from Way Out was another. This was the party record - background groove for many an evening.

MCA, be sure you ask for Janice my friend.....
Posted: May 4, 2012 7:16 pm

Very very sad. I had a dubbed tape with Licensed to Ill and Run Dmc Raisin Hell on the b side in first grade that my cousin gave me. My mom did not approve of "nigger music". They definitely helped me start thinking for myself. RIP MCA
Posted: May 4, 2012 7:36 pm

I think their first exposure to local (Memphis) airwaves was on a WEVL metal show back in the mid-eighties. That was where I first heard them anyway. Never a fan but RIP anyhow. How can you not like a band whose name starts with "The Beast"?
Posted: May 4, 2012 8:26 pm

Not only do I still like it, it's still my favorite.

that's that def jam production. even slayer got it. slick fuckin rick. gimme dat 808.
Posted: May 4, 2012 8:28 pm

WHITE CASTLE! CASTLE castle castle.......Lic. to Ill is tops for me.fucked up to hear bout this.
Posted: May 4, 2012 8:41 pm

I saw them with Fishbone and Murphy's Law too. Right up front and they pulled beer cans of Bud from the rings of a six packs and threw them into the audience which me and my friend Chris caught and drank. We were under age and loosing our minds at the auditorium North hall! Up til then probably the most exciting night of my life. A girl I was friends with went with her girlfriend over to their room at the Omni downtown. She called the front desk and told us what room they were in. My friend Chris knocked on the door and Adrock answered. He asked if we could come in and told him our girlfriends were there. Adrock asked if we sucked cock too. Chris looked afraid and shocked and stammered..no. The door shut in his face. The next day my friend showed us polaroids of her hanging out with Molly Wringwald who was dating one of them. Funny shit.
Posted: May 4, 2012 9:00 pm

^Molly was dating Adrock for awhile. Funny story!
Posted: May 4, 2012 9:02 pm

that is goddamn funny.

..no.
Posted: May 4, 2012 9:12 pm

they pulled beer cans of Bud from the rings of a six packs and threw them into the audience

It's cool they were able to go beyond the party-animal white boys image - I bet nobody was predicting that long of a career for them when they first started - pretty incredible/diverse chain of albums.
Posted: May 5, 2012 2:17 am

I did see Beastie Boys play in Kalamazoo in 92 er so...with Henry Rollins and Da Lench Mob and Ice Cube...at a Hockey rink! Great show all fucked up!
Posted: May 5, 2012 1:48 pm

I did see Beastie Boys play in Kalamazoo in 92 er so...with Henry Rollins and Da Lench Mob and Ice Cube...at a Hockey rink! Great show all fucked up!

I was there as well. Went and saw them at MSU Auditorium a few months before that. No Cube but The Rollins Band, Firehose, and Eek-a-Mouse. It was the Check your Head tour and the highlight was MCA's diss to to Heavy D...

...With your head phones strapped, ya' rocking rewind pause
Trying to figure out what you to do to go for yours
But, like a pencil to a paper I got more to come
One after another you can all get some
So you better take your time, and meditate on your rhyme
Cuz ya' shit'll be stinking when I go for mine
And that's right y'all
Don't get uptight y'all
You say shit when I bite, when I write y'all
And that's wrong y'all
Over the long haul
You can't cut the mustard when fronting it on,it on
Posted: May 5, 2012 2:01 pm

highlight was MCA's diss to to Heavy D...

oops. That was a dis to Serch from 3rd Bass, not Heavy D.

...one big oaf who's faker than plastic...
Posted: May 5, 2012 2:08 pm

I give them props for being three white Brooklyn boys who made "y'all" sound natural.

I always think I like them more than I do. I love them at their best, but Check Your Head and Ill Communication are really hard for me to get through. Their singles were usually the best parts of their albums, unlike lots of other bands I like. I never liked Hello Nasty, although I did like To the Five Boroughs at the time.
Posted: May 5, 2012 2:12 pm

Posted: May 5, 2012 2:56 pm

Tim Teabag
Member Posted: Yesterday, 7:36 pm    Quote
I think their first exposure to local (Memphis) airwaves was on a WEVL metal show back in the mid-eighties. That was where I first heard them anyway. Never a fan but RIP anyhow. How can you not like a band whose name starts with "The Beast"?

Yes! I remember that, they played "she's on it" sounded weird pit between venom and live Metallica bootlegs, they did
make an impression...
Posted: May 6, 2012 2:34 am

representewd twice tonight. maca was with it andhe'sm yace
Posted: May 6, 2012 10:45 am

I'm worried about you Joe!
Posted: May 6, 2012 11:52 am

Posted: May 6, 2012 2:31 pm | Edited by: underthewires

i cried already and i have had tears in my eyes for a few hours now. i stopped listening after ill communication, but everything up to that album was a huge influence on my tastes and life mission.

R.I.P. YAUCH.

^^ 100% same for me. Never forget getting licensed to iLL on cassette when it came out - I was 11. Huge fucking influence on my childhood. Paul's Boutique is a MASTERPIECE. still so bummed
Posted: May 6, 2012 2:33 pm

A YEAR AND A DAY:

M.C. for what I AM and do
The A is for Adam and the lyrics; true
So as pray and hope and the message is sent
And I AM living in the dreams that I have dreamt
Because I'm down with the three the unstoppable three
Me and Adam and D. were born to M.C.
And my body and soul and mind are pure
Not polluted or diluted or damaged beyond cure
Just lyrics from I to you recited
Arrested, bailed but cuffed and indicted
Enter the arena as I take center stage
The lights set low and the night has come of age
Take the microphone in hand as that I am a professional
Speak my knowledge to the crowd and the ed. is special
For I AM a bard but not the last one
I'm my own king and this is my castle
Dwell in realms of now but dream those of the past
Seen a glimpse from ahead and I don't think it's gonna last
And you can bet your ass

I drop the L. when I'm skiing
I'm smoking and peaking
I put the skis on the roof almost every single weekend
Can't stop the mindfuck when it's rolling along
Can't stop the smooth runnin's when the shit's running strong
Broke my bindings the lion with wings
Preaching his word in the B-Boy sing
I AM one with myself as I turn to The
I prefer the dreams to reality
I prefer my life don't need no other man's wife
Don't need no crazy lifestyle with stress and strife
But it's good to have turn to be a king for a day
Or for a week or for a year or for a year in a day
Come what may

I'm fishing with my boat and I'm fishing for trout
Mix the Bass Ale with the Guiness Stout
Fishing for a line inside my brain
And looking out at the world through my window pane
Every day has many colors cuz the glass is stained
Everything has changed but remains the same
So once again the mirror raised and I see myself as clear as day
And I AM going to the limits of my ultimate destiny
Feeling as though Somebody were testing me
He who sees the end from the beginning of time
Looking forward through all the ages is, was and always shall be
Check the prophetic sections of the pages

He goes by the name of Disco Dave

^^ fuck yeah.
Posted: May 7, 2012 7:55 am

All the information I looked at yesterday said that he had Tibetan doctors...and they didn't realy give that many details about the cancer, just saying he found a bump in his salivary gland or something...like must have spread to his limphnodes....but I'm just wondering if he refused the standard western medicine treatments and stuck with his buddhist principles or something?
Posted: May 7, 2012 7:58 am

Also, I want some details about them and the first Killed By Death album...I mean what's up with that?
Posted: May 7, 2012 8:01 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I realy realy liked them on KBD #1.
Posted: May 18, 2012 1:56 am

Don't know if you guys listened to this. Really nice collection of songs and interviews. He starts it with their interview about the "beastie boys" movie. The funny thing is I've thought about this movie a lot since 86 or 87. I remeber reading a rock mag with a Beasties update that claimed they were making a movie where they would play themselves lost in a haunted house and that the working title was "scared stupid". I was so excited to get stoned and go see it. Alas it never happened and only about 10 years ago did I finally admit to myself that it was a hoax.

http://www.egotripland.com/coffee-break-heroes-villains-wfmu-mca-beast ie-boys-tribute-show/
Posted: May 18, 2012 11:00 am

Woulda made a great movie.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®