Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / no blood in bone pre-poppy
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 7:28 am

Here's Terry Jacks with his teen group the Chessmen doing his "No blood in bone" years before he recut it with his wife in the Poppy Family. IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE! That's saying a lot as the Poppy Family version is pretty great too.

Posted: Apr 9, 2012 8:16 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

the Rhodes keyboard is far out, I wonder if they're using a leslie speaker, whole song rips.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 1:26 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

That's some snarling garage punk for someone whose later music was quintessential mellow (if morose) sunshine pop. Just the other day I was thinking about well-known musicians who started out playing garage/psych/Merseybeat/surf, etc.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 2:29 pm

"Seasons in the Sun" is a HUGE bummer. A huge hit song about death. Gotta give the man credit.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 3:00 pm

The lyrics on this one are a bummer as well. Maybe about taking care of a parent or child who then dies. You can hear the lyrics better in this version.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 4:42 pm

one up top is, ummmm... something else.

you got any pressing details? multiple copies for trade? etc?
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 6:38 pm

One up top was from the bands last live performance. The only place it's available is the Chessmen collection CD. Read more about it over at garage hangover's website. Great story!
Posted: Apr 10, 2012 9:34 am

Posted: May 1, 2012 6:09 pm

A few years back, I had a little weekend fling with a girl that Terry Jacks apparently thought was gonna be a huge 'solo artist' star & was doing all this work to help her out. She invited me to go meet him in the hospital (to bring him wine), but I declined ... & that's my Terry Jacks story.

Susan Jacks was a total knock-out in her day!
HUBBA HUBBA!
HEELLLLOO!
AYE MAMACITA!
Posted: May 1, 2012 6:33 pm

Actually just realized a very good friend of mine released a comp (back in '85) w/ a track titled:
"Terry Jacks - There's No Blood in Bone (Previously Unissued)"

... whether it's the same version, I don't know - but I'll find out.

Also on that comp is a great Garage/R'n'B band called The Nocturnals as well as Little Daddy & The Bachelors (featuring a young Tommy Chong) ... check'em out if you haven't already!
Posted: May 1, 2012 8:59 pm

Rawesome...fucking YAY to No Blood in Bone!

thinking about well-known musicians who started out playing garage/psych/Merseybeat/surf, etc.

Fred Cole! Well-known to the likes of our garage underbelly anyhow...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®