Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Oblivs & Quintron @ Third Man!?
Posted: Apr 3, 2012 6:12 pm

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 8:34 pm

That article lets slip the news that Dan out of the Black Keys is producing the album too
Posted: Apr 3, 2012 8:39 pm

God, I hate the way that guy writes. SO CLEVER!
Posted: Apr 3, 2012 10:20 pm

That article lets slip the news that Dan out of the Black Keys is producing the album too

so this record is gonna be, like... "good?"
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 6:43 am

God, I hate the way that guy writes. SO CLEVER!

Yeah, kinda thought a good kick to the nads was in order myself.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 8:05 am

so this record is gonna be, like... "good?"

Ha!

I saw some you tube footage of Black Keys on Letterman. That guy was playing a thunderbird, didn't sound that great. They had 5 people playing on stage, but just them two up front...that's no duo.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:01 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Look this is recent...sheesh.

I got some prototype Red Rhodes pickups that came in my thunderbird, bought it off some dude in Laurel Canyon (seriously)...not into the original pickups at all...this just sounds like big muff to me anyway.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:09 am

i'm sure those dudes are cool as hell, have great taste, and crazy gear heads with some serious studio / production knowledge, but THAT SUCKS.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:31 am

I associate Black Keys with ex-jock stoners that have "good" taste in music. That and Avett Bros.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 11:08 am

Ahh..you mean the Local H crowd? I think that is astute.

My reaction to this is close but no dice.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 11:21 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Again, just like demolition derby is cool, high fivin motherfuckers are cool...but still no dice:

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 11:55 am

They played one song, right after King Louie got up and played harmonica with Mr. Q & Miss P for one song! The whole show was pretty awesome. I've been going to Nashville every few months for a year, finally got to see something fun.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 12:52 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I heard that Davila 666 show there was pretty good.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 2:48 pm

Weird there's a Grumpy's sign (Hazelmeyer's bar in Mpls) in the Local H video.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 3:08 pm | Edited by: eric o

Dan is not producing the lp. Doug Easley and Greg have the most input, but we all did our best. Met Dan Auerbach one time before the Black Keys went and played before the Final Four. Very nice guy, awesome studio. Probably too nice for the Oblivians, sure. In mix mode now.

Quintron was amazing at Third Man and busted out a mid-tempo new song, too. Louie's harmonic interplay with Q's mouthnoisemachine was unbelievable 28th century blues! Can't wait for that album. Should be a corker.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 3:13 pm

Dan is not producing the lp. Doug Easley and Greg have the most input, but we all did our best.

just went from "good" to "good!"

r.o.l.a.i.d.s.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 3:15 pm

but i'm still not sure why you guys didn't let me produce it. i asked a long time ago.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 3:22 pm

fuck tha blackeys
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 5:22 pm

This thread was a lot better when everybody thought the Black Keys guy was somehow involved with the album.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 5:24 pm

So, well Louie and the Oblivs be on the album? Or, edited out?
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 6:00 pm

Rumors have it that it's actually the White Keys! What? You didn't hear it from me.

Really, you didn't hear it from me.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 6:04 pm

(local H might be involved- zipperlips over here.)
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 6:44 pm

I meant will they be on the Quintron and Pussycat Live at Third Man record. I guess I am assuming there will be one.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 8:32 pm

clif: we hope so. think so. yep.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 8:38 pm

It's just cool to have an Oblivians album coming out...I don't give a fuck if Ric Ocasek produced it.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 8:48 pm

wait, they got ric to produce it. AWESOME!!!
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:03 pm

wow, Eric, you just jolted something in my brain that made me think of the White Crows!!!
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:23 pm

george "tubby" martin at the controls! FIYA!
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 9:45 pm

george "tubby" martin

that would be the shit...just strings everywhere.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm still gonna buy the new oblivians lp mp3 tape cd etc. Because Popular Favorites is such a badass album and my fav oblvs album, I will stay true to the trio that burned Memphis and other cities over the years. Amen.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 12:33 am

you know i hate about the oblivans? i can't stop thinking about what they do.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 7:27 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Well, I'm not going to point fingers or name names. If Oblivians did work with The Black Keys I would keep a reserved yet open mind. But I have been hearing rumors of Greg having a band with The Black Keys guys since before the Gibson Brothers reunion. I started thinking it was an exageration of the Parting Gifts project, but then I heard some uncannily R.S. sounding Black Keys tracks, and the rumors persisted. So I figure there is a strong kernal of truth there. I mentioned it on here not long ago.

It doesn't matter to me and if The Oblivians play Third Man you can bet I'll strap my dick between my legs, don a wig and my girls European costume jewelry and teach those bitchy chics and girlish boys the true meaning of feminity.

I'm on a "less sushi more beer diet" for bikini season.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 11:42 am

think of the White Crows!!!

reminding me of Louie's Black Rose Band.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 11:02 pm

Ya ever been in a band and ya see the same person go to yer shows, and finally they talk to ya and say dumb shit like " hey you guys sounded pretty good tonite..the last time you weren't so good." I was like "and do YOU have a band..?" Damn hippies.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 8:31 am

Don't be so sensitive man. That's better than mindless lip service or "I didn't know people still played pop punk." Talk is cheap.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 2:20 pm

True.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 2:35 pm

I don't mind when people say shit like that to me. At least they were paying attention and remembered.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 4:15 pm

we had a guy at one of our gigs who was really drunk and kept saying "you guys arent THAT bad, dont let anyone tell you that, you arent THAT bad"

i was thinking nobody said we were bad, but it was easier to nod along and shortly after he switched to telling me that my guitar, a SQUIER is decent for a BEGINNER and thats COOL and such.

what a dickbag. yeah squier does make some shitty 75 dollar guitars, they also made some really nice ones 20 years ago that are reasonably priced, fuckwad. i try not to get too upset by the ignorance of others.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 4:17 pm

i mean, if you think i am gonna bring my les paul or any nicer guitar to some shitty rathole in the wall bar to play for 20 people, well, you got another thing coming...
Posted: Apr 7, 2012 5:41 pm

Dan is a really nice guy. Gave us the use of his studio at a "friend" price which I really appreciated. If you don't like his band I don't give a shit and I'm pretty sure he doesn't either. The record is mostly live. Most songs have six tracks or less. It is anything but overproduced. Don't get all yer panties in a wad.
Posted: Apr 7, 2012 6:50 pm

panties in a wad
album title
Posted: Apr 7, 2012 8:54 pm

blackeys fuckin SUCK
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:31 am

we know you ain't really racist, bradley
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:44 am

yeah, im not a huge fan of the Black Keys either ok,(opinion) BUT if the dudes are cool and letting OBLVNS use all the nice equipment/studio space/time..and THe OBLVNS are in control of the sound they want....well what more can i say??? im sure the OBLVNS want to put out some stuff that all OBLVNS fans would like to hear, but i think when your gettin all sorts of stuff from folks all over the place sayin " please make it sound like this!!" etc... like all the time?? ya just cant impress the masses. I hope the new lp sounds as lo fi as Mummies!!!! id be happy! if not..oh well I lose< im stilll gonna get that lp.

fuck the critics!
-Chris.
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:44 am | Edited by: bradx

we know you ain't really racist, bradley

shut it nigger
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:45 am

who the fuck are THe OBLVNS???? you got broken keys or some shit...
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:51 am

You don't know the OBLVNS? The Oblivians tribute band made up of Obstetricians!
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:54 am

never heard of the fuckers. they must be relation to "here come the mummies"

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:54 am

Mark Beef and BradX the New Age Abbot and Costello.
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:55 am

not them Mummies brohan..
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 2:00 am

the New Age Abbot and Costello.

I ain't queer about no crystals
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:47 pm

I heard a rumor that Greg used D'Addario EXL115 strings on the new recording - anyone verify that? It's not a real Oblivians record unless it's Ernie Ball 2221's IMHO.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 12:07 am

Can't wait to hear it the new Oblivians record!
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 8:31 am

Man...first I heard rumors that Greg had a band with Black Keys dude, I didn't believe it...then I heard rumors they were making a new album, I didn't believe that either...then 6 months later it's announced they're making a new album....don't look at me....I'm just admitting what random people tell me. I'm still amazed whenever anyone has even heard of The Oblivians.

I bought a ticket a long ass time ago, I'm still on this ride.

Maybe at least one token song recorded on a boombox is to much to ask?

yeah squier does make some shitty 75 dollar guitars, they also made some really nice ones 20 years ago that are reasonably priced, fuckwad. i try not to get too upset by the ignorance of others.

Man Squier is still making great guitars....I still have buyers remorse after buying my japanese bass, I could have had the exact same thing from the Squier Vintage series. Squier vista series is already legendary and all that crap was made in china. I don't talk to anyone after shows unless they're offering me a cold beer, I don't see why anyone bothers.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 8:39 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

well the Squier mustang bass was made in China...the Venus or whatever the heck, the one that was made for Courtney Love was japan...but all those guitars ruled...the frets are sharp as hell, but so are the frets on new American strats...differance is that uneven, sharp frets are passable on a 200 dollar guitar...not on a 900 one.
Posted: Apr 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Dan is a really nice guy. Gave us the use of his studio at a "friend" price which I really appreciated. If you don't like his band I don't give a shit and I'm pretty sure he doesn't either. The record is mostly live. Most songs have six tracks or less. It is anything but overproduced. Don't get all yer panties in a wad.

chillax, brah. we're just talking about our fave band on our fave message board. don't get yer panties in a wad.
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 12:17 am

I'm gonna make a band called the oblivians and just do covers of Marrilion with lots of "fuzz". Hopefully get Rick Rubin to produce it. We are pronounced "o-blee-vee-eenz".
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 8:51 am

get a bass player, you fucks.
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 9:27 am

I'm not chaffed. I'm just stating that I don't care if you like Dan's music or not. I'll fly his flag any day of the week and I'm not suggesting that anyone here should agree. But predicting how "good" it will be based on who did or did not help make it happen is silly. Reserve that process for when you listen to it. Doug helped produce it. He recorded sonic youth, pavement, and a slew of other bands you probably don't like. Who cares?
This is an Oblivians record.
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 10:08 am

of course it was silly, greg. that was the point.

this is the funny place, remember?

despite the fact that i'm a huge fan of yours, pick my nose all the time and slightly overweight, i'm not a booger picking nerd who's life revolves around what you do. it's just fun music talk. well, it WAS fun for a second.
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 10:26 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'd hang out with The Black Keys dudes...I'd even play music with them. They like all the Fat Possum greats and that's good enough for me.

The only grudge I got with the Third Man camp is when a certain so-and-so got in touch with me to direct my attention to his personal blog where he was really just dismissive of my label in a pointless way. The thing was that he couldn't diss the artists, especially since only 4 of the 9 bands were all that overtly "garagey"...so he was just blah, blah..."they're really good if you get them for free like I did"...I was just like, 'why the fuck would you contact me personally to direct my attention to this?' but instead I just ignored him altogether. If it wasn't for that I would feel almost amicable about them. I have some fond, friendly, memories of some of them...but for the past 10 years it's been nothing but petty, bitchy girls and boys whenever I've been in Cinci or Nashville.
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 10:30 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I mean it may have just been to let me know he had taken up personal residence in my pressing plant of choice...I could really give a shit...they lost my business after that.
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 12:09 pm

i have a (not-very-interesting) black keys/oblivians story. anyone care? probably not, but here it is: a couple months ago i lent my buddy who happens to be a huge Black Keys fan a bunch of CDs - he asked me to make a mix for him to introduce him to some new music and i didn't have time for that so, again, lent him a bunch of my favorite albums. I included Soul Food and then a week later I saw that picture of the Black Keys dudes wearing an Oblivians shirt and I e-mailed my friend and said, "heeeey, this dude you love is wearing an O's shirt on the cover of this magazine! go listen to that CD!" and he did and he said and thought the Os ruled (of course). then i think a week or so after that was when the new O's record was announced....something like that...anyway, so hopefully I found another person to buy yer new album. You're welcome, oblivians.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

If the Oblivians wanted to keep it real, they shoulda went to this studio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t8drXmJIz18
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 1:51 pm

That link led me to this which is very funny.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 3:22 pm

i paid for a whole carload of people to go through a big snowstorm halfway across the state to see the oblivians 15 years ago and they never showed.

i want a refund!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm

That must have been the last American tour. Jack's dad died right after we played San Francisco and we canceled the following dates.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

damn that sucks. i rescind my refund request.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

HEE-HAW!

R.I.P. Jackie O Sr.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 4:31 pm

I like the Black Keys, thought they sounded great on whatever that late-night talk show was. Folks could be listening to a lot worse stuff.

Context, people, context.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Please say "Call the Police" will be on the new record.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Yes! And thanks to Mr Q and Miss P it sounds awesome.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 7:35 pm

that's a good point.....I want the bands that i love to make a little money....if someone checks out the Oblivians because the Black Keys guy wore a t-shirt....I'm totally cool with that. I'm a total rube who just stumbled onto this cool music myself....I get it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 9:35 pm

i never realized this was about other people.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 11:49 pm

all the weird thougghts...
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 8:01 am

Contacts, people, contacts...you need contacts to see, you need contacts to put the word out. OBLIVIANS ARE #1.
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 8:51 am

i dj'ed the show the first time black keys played SF (@ thee parkside) - they were cool and kept asking me about everything i was playing
but still gotta admit:
my dj set > their live set
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 10:36 am

no one gives a shit, dude!

the guy that ruined your mind with this doesn't want you to have an attitude:

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm shuting up. Sorry I bummed you out Joe.
Posted: Apr 14, 2012 1:30 pm

let's play some records soon. i need to hear tator again. can't find it for the life of me.
Posted: Apr 14, 2012 1:31 pm

OBLIVIANS ARE #1.

Posted: Apr 14, 2012 1:32 pm

hi d'lana!
Posted: Apr 14, 2012 1:58 pm

also, the reigning sound flexi in the la record is cool as hell. i only played it on my ladybug portable. sounded pretty fuckin' tough.
Posted: Apr 14, 2012 5:13 pm

ANy way to get the flexi without subscribing? Sounds cool.
Posted: Apr 14, 2012 6:15 pm

if you know someone in la, but i can't imagine these are too easy to come across now, it's been a few weeks? i had a friend send it to me. it's glued on a really boss utilitarian in the red full page ad. i was pretty smitten by the whole thing.
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 12:18 am

i dj'ed the show the first time black keys played SF (@ thee parkside) - they were cool and kept asking me about everything i was playing
I was at that show...they played on the floor, before the stage was ever built...they were pretty fucking good as I recall...I remember them...but not your DJ set...hmmm....who knows...maybe Gino got me too fucked up beforehand...
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 12:22 am

That must have been the last American tour. Jack's dad died right after we played San Francisco and we canceled the following dates.

was at that one too...fuckin' A...@ the Kilowatt..in '97 was it...I think I drank about 400 Pabst and sweated every one out on the dance floor...vaguely remember drinkin beers with eric and jack outside by my van/mobile bar in the alley with the Loudmouths and co...
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 12:30 am

In 6th grade I did a report on Capybaras...I got a B....
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 8:01 am

the Kilowatt..in '97

best fucking show
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 12:24 pm | Edited by: Matto

actually found the vid online of that black keys show at the parkside in 02...still hand the benches against the wall from when it was Garibaldi's...sounds pretty good to me...I've walked into bars and heard a helluva lot worse playing, that's for sure.. http://www.donewaiting.com/2012/04/06/download-the-black-keys-live-at- a-san-francisco-restaurant-in-2002/
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 12:30 pm

ahhh..there's some Goner sleuthing Crucial....if those are your records you're sitting by in the video....long time man!....
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 7:02 pm

that's Clark sitting by the records running the mighty parkside sound system (he was in killer's kiss who put out a record on everyone's favorite goner Nanne Tepper's label.
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah...we thought you were Clark, or Clark was you...
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 7:50 pm

foiled again...I seen me many Killers Kiss shows....biggest Original Sins fans goin'...
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 8:35 am

If The Black Keys took all of the hooks out of their music they would be the best band ever...I'm saying this as a Junior Kimbrough fan.
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Can't wait for the new Oblivians record!!

Party!!!
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 5:16 pm

What ^^^ he said!!...
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 5:41 pm

If The Black Keys took all of the hooks out of their music they would be the best band ever...I'm saying this as a Junior Kimbrough fan.

HA!
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Original Sins

the Bethlehem, PA band?
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Yep...Chris from Killers Kiss turned me onto em...not all my fave, but def some good shit in there..
Posted: Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Saw Original Sins at my first SXSW, 1990 I believe (wristbands were $15.00...) They were fucking great. They passed out free cassettes (!) of the Hardest Way, which is still my favorite album of theirs.
Posted: Apr 21, 2012 8:01 am

Original Sins

1989, just up the road from where i live now, opening for the ramones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g53PFiTv_9Q#at= 66
Posted: Apr 21, 2012 8:26 am

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 11:00 am

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am

Brother JT = Original Sins main man. Check his solo records as well.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®