Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Most overrated bands/musicians of all time...
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Mar 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Yeah man, I love "no good to cry"! So you're saying that's not Al singing? Who is it?

OK, I thought I had read that their percussionist sang it (Skip Yakaitis) but everything I see now sez that it was Al. Carry on.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 1:57 am

The Replacements
Eagles <-- Fuck your hotel!!!!
Raincoats
Vaselines
Barry Manilow
Daniel Johnston
Mission of Burma
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 5:23 am

Daniel Johnston belongs in a different category of overrated outsider artists who live in rubber rooms. Wesley Willis would be another.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 6:01 am

Zappa is the epitome of over rated. A couple of fun moments with the Mothers followed by years of pretentious fusion.

And this is by far the dumbest American cliché in this thread, always coming from Zappa haters who are intimidated by him.
Did Nedweena stole your alias again?

Zappa is ONLY admired by his fans, everybody else hates his guts with a passion. And Zappafans suck. And 90% of 'm overrates their hero. (How fuckin unique!) Fuck that. The real deal is that those 90% don't understand one fuck of their hero's music.

But Zappahaters just should just shut the fuck up about stuff they don't know shit about.
Jeez.

Here's a bet: you and the best musicians you can find try and play the intro-theme of the purple lagoon from the New York album. (Post Mothers? Yeah. Crap?)
I give you a full year to practise.
And bet you a hundred you won't even cum close.

'A couple of fun moments with the mothers'
godfuckinallmighty,
bollocks!
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 6:28 am

o, yeah, and he overrated himself on some points biiiiiiiiiiiig time.
Kinda hilarious.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 11:01 am

I'm not a Zappa hater. But, I grew up with some fellas who loved, loved, loved, him and I was subjected to most all of it. Hard core FANS. Nerds and Dorks of the highest order(I include myself)So I'm standing on pretty solid ground here.This is music for people who can't enjoy a song unless it has lots of bells and whistles. Smart people. Like you. But for me... His subject matter is intended as risque or thought-provoking but mostly just comes off like hokum. For a dude that's supposed to be "out there" he sure is formulaic.
If I had the time to spare, I could learn and play any Zappa peice. On the other hand, he could never play "love killed my brain". He would be to tempted to modulate to C sharp, have a funky drum and bass breakdown, and polish it all off with some kind of stupid pun designed to mask his own sexual hang-ups. He couldn't even play "Louie, Louie" without "jazzing it up".
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 11:32 am

He couldn't even play "Louie, Louie" without "jazzing it up".

zappa from the grave: "yaaaaawn... been there, done that."

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 1:45 pm

over rated, i give ya 5 o mine.

1. The Eagles
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn
3. Journey
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Audiovox ?

p.s. Thanks for the Jet Aircraft shit!!! wow.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Zappa is ONLY admired by his fans, everybody else hates his guts with a passion.
untrue, i never think about zappa. like many many other people.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Overrated bands:
X - I thought they were an R or maybe a hard R at best.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Raincoats
People shouldn't be allowed to think The Raincoats were overrated until they have heard Moving.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 3:08 pm

Over-rated?
Any stupid band from California.
Prove me wrong?

You can't fucking do it, FUCKTARD!

I listen to MY music.
DON'T LOOK AT ME, DONT TALK TO ME!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 3:14 pm

OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS ARE STUPID!

GIVE ME SOME MONEY$$$$$$
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 3:20 pm | Edited by: misslinda

SPINAL TAP IS MY FAVORITE CALIFORNIA BAND, EVER!
WHEN I CHANGE MY OPINION, I EXPECT YOU FAGS TO DO LIKEWISE!!!!!!!

DON'T LOOK AT ME, DONT TALK TO ME!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 3:21 pm

PLEASE DIE SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 3:25 pm

WHEN I CHANGE MY OPINION, I EXPECT YOU FAGS TO DO LIKEWISE!!!!!!!

FOLLOW SUIT, OR GO AWAY!!!
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Zappa is ONLY admired by his fans, everybody else hates his guts with a passion.

Me too.
The only things I hold against Zappa are Dweezil and Steve Vai.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 4:08 pm | Edited by: jerryd

overrated???

Seriously???
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 4:15 pm

the only time I really appreciate their songs is when other people do them

Leonard Cohen
Bob Dylan

That's the exact opposite of how I feel about these two.

"we've got a bigger problem now" (the better version of uber alles, which also bugs the shit out of me- this one can't be touched):

I hadn't heard that in forever! Still rules.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Seriously???
Not a single day has passed since I was 6 years old (I'm 41) that I didn't believe with my whole entire heart that AC/DC was the greatest rock band that this universe has ever known.
The fact that anyone would dispute this, actually only makes them fucking UNDERrated. Never trust anyone who doesn't like AC/DC, I say!
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Again, seriously??
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 6:25 pm

ac/dc = more fun to watch play than just listen to.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 8:05 pm

anyone who doesnt like acdc doesnt like rock n roll.

zappa sucks, too many notes. santana too. fuck that guy.

when i was 13 i would sit around with no friends learning satriani songs note for note and van halen leads, million note songs do not impress me.

its crap.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 9:01 pm

no friends
learning satriani songs note for note and van halen leads

basically same thing
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm

I mean those dudes are burning churches and eating each other.

Darwin, not Satan.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 10:27 pm

please wear a condom
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I say this all the time.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 5:45 am

I say this all the time.

If your idea of rock'n'roll is based on bar band culture, I guess that's a point a view.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 5:55 am

This is music for people who can't enjoy a song unless it has lots of bells and whistles.

Hm, yeah, that's why I play your live at the Circle A almost every day.

what a load of crap, Greg
comin from you even kinda shockin.
I'm not gonna discuss Zappa with somebody who talks such lame highschool bullshit.

Furthermore: we were talking 'overrated'
My point was: he isn't.

I agree with a lot of criticism on Frankie, but you have no criticism, just a Zappa itch that you can't reach.

O, and I do take that bet. You seriously think you can get that theme down? NO FUCKIN WAY. Take two years rehearsing for my part: it has to be the New York lp version. With bells on.

'Too many notes'
No one here would dare and come up with so many intentional Ugly Notes in his work as Frank Zappa.
Same with classical music by the way. Ever noticed? Man, notes rainin on your head for hours!

Anyway: the Mothers started out with this credo : 'Let's get on stage and annoy the fuck out of everybody' - an attitude you people forgot about a long time ago.
And they're still scoring, as we can see by the stupified reaction of a great musician who is putting more and more bells on his own songs. Chrissemess bells.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 6:03 am

Me too.
The only things I hold against Zappa are Dweezil and Steve Vai.

yeah, sorry, I know you people are out there too,
forgot it in my rage
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 6:49 am

Most Zappa records are boring but he did enough great things to deserve some respect.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 8:15 am

There's lot's of Zappa related stuff that I dig. He's a good guitarist. Jessie Lee for example and Roogalator. I don't really credit these items to Zappa though as he didn't write them. He does best when he's confined by someone else's relatively simple song structure. I think he was striving for classical, with all those notes raining down but to my ears it always sounded more like one rock opera after another. I'm not insulting you for liking him, I'm just saying that to me he always seemed rather legendary but unlistenable. But then people like you totally get it, you and Satriani and Buckethead eat that shit up! HA, HA, HA! Please don't take anything I say in this thread too seriously, I'm just trying to have fun.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 8:45 am

i dig the Mothers - gotta pull out Live Fillmore East '71 every once in a while - Flo & Eddie rule! -- there's quite a bit of solo stuff i can hang with (Apostrophe / some of Over-Nite Sensation, and others) but his vocals and 'humor' can be lame -- every once in a while i can hang with Shut Up and Play Your Guitar -- as a guitar wanker i find Zappa way more listenable than vai or satriani or Yngwie
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 9:24 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Easy there, tiger.

Who me? I don't get this thread, people on here don't like The Gories? Now I understand why I will never be rich and famous, the world is wack nutso.

Michael Stipe is over rated. Tom Hanks is way over rated. All that stuff is glaringly obvious, but pretty much every household name is fucking over rated.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 9:29 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

The business model is to get it on Itunes, get some pompous fucktards in glasses, skinny ties, and flannel shirts (I like all those things but so over rated) to over rate it, pressuring teenage girls to pay 1.50 for the mp3.

That's how to make some moolah.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 9:46 am

I agree with a lot of criticism on Frankie, but you have no criticism, just a Zappa itch that you can't reach.

this is one of those threads where it's a waste of time to rage. most of the bands here that I think are overrated (fucked up, zappa, springsteen, elvis costello, the smiths)... I can completely understand why some people would like them, but they just ain't my thing all the time.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 9:49 am

other bands... rem, ac/dc, jefferson airplane, wilco, leonard cohen - these are bands with some great songs or great albums, but the length and the valleys/peaks of their careers are so extreme that you can't possibly be into all of it. does that make them overrated?
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 10:37 am

at least no one is arguing with me about elvis (like ac/dc, he's better live than on record).
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 10:49 am

deicide
napalm death
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Other people's taste in music is over rated.

needs to leave me alone while I gots on my Derick & the Dominos.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 1:25 pm

If your idea of rock'n'roll is based on bar band culture, I guess that's a point a view.

As opposed to...Stadiums? Fests?...Bars and rock and roll kinda go hand in hand. Gimmie a killer band in the corner of a shitty bar any day.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 1:32 pm

I tried to stay out of this bit I can't help myself...

nirvana were a game changer for me. i was 13 and lived in the middle of nowhere and it was pre-internet obviously, so i thought rock music was dead. when teen spirit debuted on headbangers ball it was like a revelation.

Believe it or not, in the U.P. in 1977, Elvis Costello on Saturday Night had pretty much the same effect on me. I still think the first four LPs are great though I stopped paying attention around 1989...and no, I don't wear glasses...

Thee Oh Sees

Interesting textures but none of the songs were very memorable to me. The Bare Wires opened and I liked them a lot better.

Zappa

I kinda liked Sleep Dirt, which was almost neo-classical. It's one of the LPs that WB put out in the early 80s that Zappa sued them over. But seriously, if virtuosity is your measuring stick I think you're on the wrong board...

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Argghh. Worst part about living in Austin in the late 80s.

Under:

Brenton Wood

He's like Elvis around here. Saw him back in 2003 and he was mobbed by hundreds of 14-year-old Mexican girls after his show. Too cool.
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

I can understand no love for Zappa but if you are a fan of the Fugs, I don't see how you can't like the first 3 Mothers albums.

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Speaking of Zapppa, I don't like all his music, but his idea's are good and makes fun of fans, groupies, egotistical musicians etc... I just watched 200 Motels on Netflix a few days ago...soooo give me a cookie er somethin, be proud of me!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 12:57 am

As opposed to...Stadiums? Fests?...Bars and rock and roll kinda go hand in hand. Gimmie a killer band in the corner of a shitty bar any day.

you're right, AC/DC is even worst than I thought a bar band playing in stadiums!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 3:20 am

He's a good guitarist.

No he is not Greg, he only was during a very short period.

But then people like you totally get it, you and Satriani and Buckethead eat that shit up! HA, HA, HA!

No Greg, you didn't even read my post. The whole point is that I DON'T eat that shit up.
And Satriani should be killed slowly.

o, and Finnark:
But seriously, if virtuosity is your measuring stick I think you're on the wrong board...

I've been here for over ten years and the only 'virtuosity' I believe in is the power of the music and if you didn't pick that up you need even stronger glasses than I do. I am not on a Zappa forum cause I can't stand the stupidity caughed up over there.
I like The Reatards first lp more than any record by Zappa, except Uncle Meat and Absolutely Free and euhm, o wel: a couple more.
Zappa was most certainly no genius.
Neither was Jay.
But as for music that hits me in the gut Zappa did it since I was twelve until today (I'm 50). I wrote almost all my work while blasting favourite Zappa shows. Never The Reatards.

My biggest wish, and musical daydream, is to play in the 1974 line up.
Mainly because of the chemistry in that band. And the music (yep, now that was some fusion, never done before, never done after).

Fun question for Greg: what is the easiest way to start explaining that P.L. theme to your fellow musicians who have to learn it?

Furthermore:
I also pointed out many times that the second half of Zappa's career is almost a joke to my taste. But saying that it's all fusion is also crap. It's more the horror of bad 'normal songs'.

'Wait a minute now' (Duke when playin with Zappa, 50 times a show.):
Greg can't even play an acoustic guitar, but his acoustic soloalbum is my fave!

Just as weird as the fact that Zappa was for tough guys where I come from and most certainly not for nerds.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 5:42 am

soooo give me a cookie er somethin

Dutch dude, Doo Doo Roomservice will bring you your cookie right away. Special fast delivery by Evelyn, our modified dog.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 7:42 am

Evelyn, our modified dog

Spayed? Or MIDI retrofit?
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 8:07 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Just as weird as the fact that Zappa was for tough guys where I come from and most certainly not for nerds.

Ding are you from early 70's San Francisco? Because my uncle is and he can fight his way out of a paper bag, making him a "tough guy" by their standards.

He tried to get me into Beefheart, Fugs, and Zappa, he also inadvertantly introduced me to Sabbath; I was young....Beefheart and Fugs stuck with me, Zappa not so much, I think someone should compile all the bitchin Zappa tunes from his entire discography, might be enough for an LP and a 7 inch. I might buy that.

I think Steve Vai is probbably the funniest guitar player of all time in an ironic sense.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am

Ding are you from early 70's San Francisco?

Somehow.

remember though: I was talking highchoolkids, and were I come from you really, REALLY don't fight them tough guys.
Buffy lives there now.
Hell lies underneath that county.
Toughest 'school' I ever went to. Made me one of the biggest assholes amongst Veenkolonial Assholes. They rule. So do I.

First time I saw Steve Vai on stage was when he just joined Zappa, the guy made me laugh until I almost pissed my pants. It was his intention. He was acting like a seventies Gonzo Th Leadguitarplayer, making that behaviour ridiculous and it was funny. His guitartechnique does not impress me, except his control over feedback. He played a melody that consisted only of feedback. It's in a fusion song on one of the later albums, but he did it much better live on stage.
O, and everybody in the band made fun of Steve Vai, and he liked it, cause he behaved like a nutcase. Cool guy, horrible guitarplayer and feedback king. Zappa was the biggest Vai fucker. He even wrote a funny but bad song about Vai when he was still in the band.

Vai wrote an anti Zappa song after he left the band. A bad piece of music. Lame lyrics. Sad.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 9:42 am

This?
Man, if you dig it that's great. I don't think one way or the other aout it. The biggest road block to me learning something like this is motivation. If it was playing behind a chase scene in the French Connection or something I would not be bothered by it. It would seem pretty right-on. Or if, like you, I was a writer and needed some music that suggested a dynamic but wouldn't muddle my head with someone else's story line, perhaps I would have a use for it. As it is, I don't write novels, screenplays or articles. I just badmouth dead people on message boards. You don't wanna go to Zappa forums. Because they over rate their hero. Come on now, you agree with this point. Let's not mince words over which parts are admirable and which parts are crap. Let's just agree that he has legions of fans that highly rate everything he ever did. Blindly, and we find it a bit foolish. I'm a poor guitarist. I'll cop to that. Shitty drummer too. But you see, I don't intentionally put the bad notes there. That's just how they come out and thirty years of playing has not changed it. In short, artifice and art are not the same.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:01 am | Edited by: Ding Le Dangle

Let's just agree that he has legions of fans that highly rate everything he ever did

Yeah, agreed, that was the first thing I said and wanted to point out, cause there is too much hate and discussion amongst non fans to call him An Overrated Musician like the other examples mentioned.

This?

Yeah, just the opening, until the solo kicks in. Then it get's boring for a long time.

This version on YT goes too fast and sounds too crappy by the way. It lacks the real dark tension that's in there.

You suck on a acoustic guitar, but not on an electric: for the songs you wrote so far it's even perfect.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am

just badmouth dead people on message boards.

yay internet!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:22 am

I prefer Parlor Rock.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:23 am

Why am I Matto, now?
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am

There, that's better.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:38 am

Ha..
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:46 am

^ Get a room.

Van Halen.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 11:36 am | Edited by: CrucialDude

one of Zappa's finer moments in the 80's

Weasel Dust!!!
(truly an under-rated mammal)
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 11:56 am

Overrated: Don Johnson on Miami Vice

Underrated: Don Johnson in Horses

Tubbs was da man!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 1:05 pm

He couldn't even play "Louie, Louie" without "jazzing it up".

i thought he did that with "Titties 'n Beer"?
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 2:03 pm

as long as you don't see them more than once --- they play an identical set every time, right down to the banter, angus' facial expressions, exact same movements in the exact same place at the exact same moment.

that ain't rock 'n roll. OVERRATED.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Rocknroll itself is fucking overrated...they got a goddamn museum, everyone and his brother plays guitar...I get so tired of it.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm

as long as you don't see them more than once --- they play an identical set every time, right down to the banter, angus' facial expressions, exact same movements in the exact same place at the exact same moment.

that ain't rock 'n roll. OVERRATED.

NICE! take that, sympathizers / fans!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Anyone mention the Foo Fighters yet? Cuz fuck those guys.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Oh, also: At the Drive-In
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Eric fucking Clapton!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Rocknroll itself is fucking overrated...they got a goddamn museum, everyone and his brother plays guitar...I get so tired of it.

winner!
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 6:39 pm

mars volta
coheed & cambria
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Anyone mention the Foo Fighters yet? Cuz fuck those guys.

i was stunned when i heard them last year. i had no idea they were so horrible. all the cool kids around here think they're really with it for digging that shit, and they will tell you how good they are. these kind of people always say "trust me..." when they wanna talk shop.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 7:11 pm

"trust me..."
this is the point at which stop listening to people
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 7:46 pm

NO SHIT.
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:31 pm

i like glam
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 10:59 pm

i'm assuming that to mean that the young bros have always ruled
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 12:43 am

NICE! take that, sympathizers / fans!

You take it in the Hiney Hole....AC/DC (Bon era) rules....has nothing to do with the schtick...how can you laud bullshit like the far too prolific Back from the Grave type 60's garage formulaic pap (you need exactly 1 of those records)....and not get off on AC/DC?...how fucking gutless and delay pedal ridden does music hafta get before the pendulum swings back?..
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 1:05 am

Mozart

Go back to Vienna and eat a sausage.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 1:10 am

I am unfamiliar with his ouevre and sorry for his untimely demise but Jeff Buckley's caterwauling cover of Hallelelujah is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 1:30 am

garage formulaic pap

if there's one band that's formulaic, it's ac/dc except for their cool 1st glam 45, it's the same overlong heavy blues rock going on and on and on.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 2:01 am

acdc are what rock n roll is all about, but they are definitely overrated
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 2:08 am

I am unfamiliar with his ouevre and sorry for his untimely demise but Jeff Buckley's caterwauling cover of Hallelelujah is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

blame Gary Lucas

I think Jeff was only just getting ready to write some great stuff after that first record.
His 'everybody here wants you' from that shameless second album is a pearl on top of a pile of babycrap.
He could also play those songs from the first album much better live. Make 'em rock like fuck, so to speak.

But this is a very good song in my book. And the direction in music to take for him instead of takin a swim.

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 2:37 am

harry nilsson
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 3:12 am

acdc are what rock n roll is all about

I'm not saying they're bad, but c'mon, most of their songs are over 3 mins (if not 4). rock'n'roll ain't about that.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 3:28 am

you dicks made me think about zappa today. i'm stoked he had something to do with beefheart and wildman fischer's careers. that is all. carry on.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 8:05 am

how can you laud bullshit like the far too prolific Back from the Grave type 60's garage formulaic pap (you need exactly 1 of those records)

as different as a boy and a girl:

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 8:06 am

acdc are what rock n roll is all about, but they are definitely overrated

that's a far cry from the cliche you dropped earlier in this thread.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

i stand by my statements. at least noone disagreed about nilsson...
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Weird Al!

It's impossible for Al to be overrated. His 20+ yr run has outshined even his mentor Dr. Demento.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm | Edited by: greg O

I love Nilsson! If you asked most people if they thought he was overated they'd just say "who?". He made his share of crap. I think the good outweighs the bad by a large margin. And then there's a slice (bout a quarter of his overall output) that is just brilliant. I can definitely see why this would be a hard sell for some folks though. Can't argue with that. Surely even Brad can enjoy this though:
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 5:06 pm

he's overrated the same as big star are overrated,by singer songwriter types. song you posted is ok at best, if i never hear it again i dont care. also the documentary about him is all kinds of boring. i give a shit if he was the beatles favorite band. its like he took the worst parts of the beatles and made them even worse. he did have an amazing voice early on but managed to even fuck that up somehow.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 10:54 pm

It's not one of his finest moments and far from his worst but I thought maybe you'd get a laugh. Doc was OK but did drag at times, or at least get repetitive. I think the relevance of him being the Beatles favorite singer was obvious though. It's not that you or I should give a fuck. He had a lot of abandonment issues, growing up in poverty. All that. Just the kind of bullshit music is good for working out. So when the Beatles say you're the greatest singer in the world right out of the gate it fucks everything up. You can't just sit around and write your melancholy songs. There's expectation. Once he had a hit record with Nilsson Scmilsson he just sailed right off a cliff. Self sabotage and drug abuse. You've got a number one LP and your the Beatles favorite singer. Where else is there to go but down? Anyway, his ballads always felt super lonely to me as a kid and I thought no one else in the world liked him but me and my dad. So it holds a special place for me. He did not change music. He's not for everybody. But he cuts a classic troubled figure no less tragic than Jay in my mind. Blasphemy? I dunno' just my two cents.
Posted: Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

i loved the nillson doc, and i didn't even know shit about him when i saw it.

hope i'm thinking of the right movie.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 2:52 am

We had a national radio dj in the early seventies who played the same Nillson song for two years in a row as the first record of his weekly morning show.
This was absolutely 'not done'. But he got away with it because everybody liked it, me too.
Don't know what to think of it now. Would never put in on myself, but it doesn't bother me at all when someone else does.

Can't say I know much more about this musician.
Not overrated in Europe.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 8:12 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

its like he took the worst parts of the beatles and made them even worse

Uh no...that's The BeeGees, who I admit to having an ironic fondness for.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:19 pm

without you is an incredible vocal, it is also a badfinger cover
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:25 pm

The best...

The BeeGees, who I admit to having an ironic fondness for.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Hey! Back on track. Today at work when someone was on a 90's bent...a couple more occurred to me..

Jane's Addiction
The Beastie Boys
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm

paul's boutique, check your head and ill communication: all praises due.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 5:16 pm

thank god the "Beastie Boys" went away.
they were the Mike Curb Congregation of the 90's.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Yeah, never got any of that Jane's/Beasties worship..did nothing for me then, and less for me now...no matter how many people told me I "just gotta see 'em live"..just claiming old man on that one...
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 7:02 pm

"License ...", "Paul's Boutique" and "Check ..." still hold up, but Jane's Addiction was, is, and forever will be fucking horrible.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I still like Licensed to Ill and Paul's Boutique. Some of Check Your Head still holds up. Rest I can totally leave. Never got Jane's Addiction at all.

I've gotta say that the Clash are totally overrated to me. Even the first album just sounds like second rate Ramones and the rest is just boring. Joe Strummer is annoying too.

Oh and fuck the Grateful Dead.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Sonic Youth
REM
Patti Smith
Rave or Techno in general
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Steely Dan
PiL
Led Zeppelin
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 7:14 pm

That shit isn't just over rated it's terrible
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 9:11 pm

The Dwarves. Has someone already said that? I like them and all, but ya know.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

beastie boys havent gone anywhere...
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 9:49 pm

"I started a joke" is an amazing song. If you combined the quality of all other Bee Gees song, you would only get 1/10th of the awesomeness of that pop anomaly.
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 9:59 pm

gotta get a message to you is pretty top notch too
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Odessa is excellent
What about Zeke or the Supersuckers?
Posted: Mar 29, 2012 11:00 pm

I'd agree that both those bands are pretty terrible but does anyone actually go on and on about them making them overrated?
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 1:37 am

When I left, both were still huge in Denver...like, sell-out shows huge...I doubt that has changed, or ever will.
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 1:49 am

Rawk is overrated.
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 5:58 am

My favourite band, Phil Collins, was fuckin underrated!
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 7:38 am

Post 60s Rolling Stones
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 7:39 am | Edited by: Laurent Bigot

My favourite band, Phil Collins, was fuckin underrated!

too bad their drummer/singer sucks, the other guys are alright.
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 11:58 am

OK...well that's early BeeGees which are totaly cool in a non ironic way...what with natural harmonies and skiffle beats and such.

Frank Sinatra is fucking over rated...Tony Bennet also...but not Mel Torme:

Posted: Mar 30, 2012 12:00 pm

the drummer rules, except he saved his absolutely briljant drumming for his hobbyband
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 12:02 pm

I AGREE!!!
Frank Sinatra is overrated as fuck.
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Frank Sinatra is like a litmus test for douche bags. That an Americans proud of their "Irish Heritage"/Flogging Molly fans.
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm

gotta get a message to you is pretty top notch

i agree, and will even make a case for BG's version of "He Ain't Heavy"
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 1:09 pm

but not Mel Torme:

indeed!
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Sonic Youth
Never got any enjoyment out of anything I've heard by them. With the exception of maybe this song where they seem to be making fun of punk... which is pretty awesome.

You could also add Thurston to the list of people that I don't care to see on other people's documentary. Thurston and Elvis Costello talk about Otis Redding = no thanks
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm

it's a teen idols (pre-minor threat) cover.
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Did someone say Tom Waites?

Coz that shit suuuuuucksssss.

x1,000,000.
Posted: Mar 31, 2012 5:17 pm | Edited by: Thee Gilded Chimera

In defense of Jello Biafra, I gotta give the man credit. He (re)released(?) the Teddy and the Frat Girls 5 song 45rpm 12". Which has my all time favorite phoney Polish accent with 3/4 polka timing song. I'd love to see Stephanie America's Polka Sweetheart cover that one.
Posted: Apr 2, 2012 9:45 pm

Some more overated turds to ponder. Eric Clapton,Pearl Jam,Billy Joel,Leo Sayer,Doors,Leon Redbone,Tom Waits,Widespread Panic,String Cheese Incident,Kansas,Styx,ELP,Grand Funk Railroad,Whitney Houston,Randy Newman,Police,U2,Tangerine Dream,Janis Joplin,Jimmy Buffett
Posted: Apr 2, 2012 10:20 pm

Leon Redbone

wrong.
Posted: Apr 3, 2012 7:46 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

In regards to Sonic Youth, I agree that the best thing about them was Richard Kern and he wasn't even in the band...but I like Sonic Youth. Over rated, probbably yes.
Posted: Apr 3, 2012 3:28 pm

Frank Sinatra is fucking over rated

The idea that Frank, as one individual, created those albums would make him overrated. But the catalog itself from Columbia, Capitol and Reprise, with the help of guys like Riddle, Mays, Stordahl, even Jobim, pretty much created modern popular music, the idea of a record album as something cohesive and thematic.. and some of the greatest songs ever put on vinyl. It would be hard to overrate that catalog.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:38 am

the dead kennedys suck ? you guys are fucking faggots what happen to this board?
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:42 am

what's the difference between a bag of coke and a baby ? Eric Clapton never let a bag of coke fall out a hotel window .
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:46 am

Alex Chilton fucking sucks .
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 4:53 am

Sinatra's voice is unstable, way too many freakin times he just DOES NOT hit the note completely, but sorta tries to catch it while it's flyin over his head.
He must be slightly tone-deaf.
He is famous for it, and they call it The Voice.
And I call that Voice fuckin overrated and handicaped.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 8:10 am

I like Sinatra's voice...he's the classic tough guy. But when Bono lauds something it means it's fucking over rated.

Give me Perry Como:

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:05 pm

inatra's voice is unstable, way too many freakin times he just DOES NOT hit the note completely, but sorta tries to catch it while it's flyin over his head.
He must be slightly tone-deaf.
He is famous for it, and they call it The Voice.
And I call that Voice fuckin overrated and handicaped.

I don't buy this. He had his off nights due to lifestyle choices. However, his singing was very horn influenced, phrasing, shaping and running around notes a'la his greatest mentor, Harry James. He was also a huge fan of Billie Holiday and that influence can be heard a lot, hanging way back on the phrasing and catching up to the notes.

I can't stand the whole "swinger" retro shit that surrounded him in the 90's, but as an artist, it's hard to overrate him.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:21 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Well I gotta say I fucking hate Elvis beyond the cheeziness factor...I think he was a dork ass honkey.

I don't hate Sinatra but he kind of foreshadowed Elvis...alot of his early musical numbers are so freaking silly....I like Bing Crosby, I like Bob Hope, I like Benny Goodman, I like that era, I typically like Sinatra, but he is way over hyped if you ask me.

I realize people need heroes and stuff...not me...not people like that.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:27 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Frank Sinatra was great in Manchurian Candidate, but it was the director who was brilliant...Sinatra was kind of a meat head pressuring Kennedy to go after the commies....just another dumb as shit celebrity to me.

No one saw Manchurian Candidate anyway, Sinatra made them yank it from theatres whe Kennedy got shot.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 1:37 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

By foreshadowing Elvis, I just mean that Sinatra in his heyday was the style pop icon that they turned Elvis into. I don't believe Rocknroll changed the landscape of American music either...I think it was a manufactured trend...hype...bullshit.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 2:29 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

If you don't think these goons are "manufactured" check out Elia Kazan's Face In The Crowd. He basicaly breaks it down.... At first Sinatra was marketed as this regular dude from Hoboken with amazin talent, but it's all just realy industry bullshit and hype. He was a better than average singer at best. The man was over rated in my book.

But I agree with you as far as his back up people being talented and probbably more important for his success and legacy. That's the usual story.

I am playing down the significance of "Rocknroll" as we know it in terms of myth and legend....it was a continuation of honkeys legitimising black folk music, the music industry had already been doing it for decades...going back to WC Handy and his bullshit interpretation of blues music for lily-livered white folk. Babyboomers like to pretend they changed everything, like there was no history before or after them.

You mentioned that Sinatra was indepted to Billie Holiday...yeah the entire white jazz community was indepted to black folk.....Rocknroll wasn't much different from the honkies that were playing black music before that.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 2:39 pm

but it's all just realy industry bullshit and hype. He was a better than average singer at best.

not to defend him, but he has something that you're all overlooking, and that's star quality. a good voice does not a star make. you gotta have it all.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 2:42 pm

THE HIVES.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 5:43 pm

the dead kennedys suck ? you guys are fucking faggots what happen to this board?

jello sucks...a bunch of hot air political rants that really only are made to say "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME". He was the Bill Maher of the 80s.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 5:48 pm

If you don't think these goons are "manufactured" check out Elia Kazan's Face In The Crowd. He basicaly breaks it down.... At first Sinatra was marketed as this regular dude from Hoboken with amazin talent, but it's all just realy industry bullshit and hype. He was a better than average singer at best. The man was over rated in my book.

But I agree with you as far as his back up people being talented and probbably more important for his success and legacy. That's the usual story.

I am playing down the significance of "Rocknroll" as we know it in terms of myth and legend....it was a continuation of honkeys legitimising black folk music, the music industry had already been doing it for decades...going back to WC Handy and his bullshit interpretation of blues music for lily-livered white folk. Babyboomers like to pretend they changed everything, like there was no history before or after them.

You mentioned that Sinatra was indepted to Billie Holiday...yeah the entire white jazz community was indepted to black folk.....Rocknroll wasn't much different from the honkies that were playing black music before that.

Face in the Crowd rules.

Frank on Columbia was good, not great, a Bing reinvention, a bit of a marketing creation (and not at all popular with our boys in uniform). After having his career nosedive, Frank got on Capitol and redefined the role of the singer and the direction of pop music... with the help of some talented side fellows. But he was the perfect foil and could get inside a song like no other. And that just wasn't industry bullshit, that was endorsed by pretty much all of his contemporaries, pop, jazz, singers, horn players... guys like Miles Davis who tended to give whitey no quarter.
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 10:45 pm

jello sucks...a bunch of hot air political rants that really only are made to say "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME". He was the Bill Maher of the 80s.
that band was fucking strange and i can go back and listen to shit and still get a kick out of it i don't give a fuck what any of the people are like . at the end of the day there not paying my bills or sucking my dick so fuck em !
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 2:07 am

i can agree with that. jellos voice aside, they were head and shoulders above their peers in terms of skill and creativity.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 4:40 am

they were head and shoulders above their peers in terms of skill and creativity.
yep them and fucking Voivod where light years ahead of everybody .i think Voivod are better then Slayer
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 5:21 am

He was also a huge fan of Billie Holiday and that influence can be heard a lot,

ah man, now that's blasfemie

I like to see him in movies and with the gang kidding and fucking around, and when Louis shows up for a 'blow & grunt job'. But I stick to my point: horn-inluenced (agreed, he is) is no excuus for his thousands of tone deaf moments. Making your handicap your strenght? He went for it, but failed miserably. I had to listen to that man during my entire youth.
I know.

Tough guy? Sinatra? Also an urban legend. The sucker wanted bottles of low budget Ballantine's in his dressingroom, the lamest scotch in the world.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 8:16 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

not to defend him, but he has something that you're all overlooking, and that's star quality. a good voice does not a star make. you gotta have it all.

Oh come on...Maddonna doesn't have an ounce of star quality and neither does Sinatra...I think they are very similar as far as their level of talent.

Maddonna is over rated...I like her alot also, and often find myself sticking up for her. She has great taste in alot of things, primary for me is her taste in writers and photographers. But she is/was way way overrated.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 10:04 am

come on, madonna? she doesn't even exist.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 11:11 am

again learn to read...I understand people might have written DEAD KENNEDYS but when you read the critiques it has nothing to do with the band but the front person and his whiny voice that is slapped upside the head again and again
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 12:05 pm

Madonna ... often find myself sticking up for her

ha ha ha.
jesus dude, go buy a Penthouse or something instead.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 2:21 pm

Why? She is all over the net.

http://www.naked-celebrities.com/celebs/madonna/madonnanude-12.jpg

a little too al naturale if you ask me.
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 6:14 pm

ah man, now that's blasfemie

I like to see him in movies and with the gang kidding and fucking around, and when Louis shows up for a 'blow & grunt job'. But I stick to my point: horn-inluenced (agreed, he is) is no excuus for his thousands of tone deaf moments. Making your handicap your strenght? He went for it, but failed miserably. I had to listen to that man during my entire youth.
I know.

Tough guy? Sinatra? Also an urban legend. The sucker wanted bottles of low budget Ballantine's in his dressingroom, the lamest scotch in the world.

Not to drag this on, but I've heard more singers rag on Holiday's shortcomings than Sinatra's (and I disagree with both camps). Hardly, blasphemy to draw the correlation. They both took a lot of license with phrasing and lyrics.

And, yeah, I've read more on Frank than I can remember. He was not the "tough guy" of lore. He, like Duke Ellington, was a Momma's Boy, a little prince, a doted-on only child who walked around with a sense of entitlement. He let other guys who his dirty work.

And he had a giant cock.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 5:13 am

a little too al naturale if you ask me.

looks like a massive hangover in the flesh to me
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 5:16 am

why do american pussies have giant cocks?

just asking

(too confused for a punchline)
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 5:35 am

by the way

to make up for A LITLLE of all the bad talk here a song for every musician, cause I admire the abstract musician more than anything/anyone else:

O!
don't worry, its rock 'n roll, it's got good guitar, it has Flo and Eddie wippin it out at the end, it has my favourite Zappa drummer, hardly a virtuoso, but brilliant in his own way: Aynsley Dunbar, and there's not a hint of fusion anywhere.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 7:52 am

I rehearsed a Greg Cartwright song last night...a Harry Nilsson influence is definately evident.
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 9:11 am

You can't beat this over produced pop shit....this was the pinnacle of over produced pop shit....everyone else should shove their heads in the toilet and flush:

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 9:24 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I love this shit but Sinatra was about the same quality of singer as Jim Morrison...and I like the obscure Doors songs...like I sang karaoke Crystal Ship not long ago...they were just bad 60's lounge music in most cases...and everyone knows I love bad 60's lounge music.

I love all these songs...but if there's one thing to be taken away from this is that these artists are all self made to an extent, but they needed a big corporate push to get away with all their shenanigans.
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 5:17 pm

Patti Smith.

The very definition of overrated.

Did that self absorbed billygoat get into the Rolling Stone hall of fame?
...because her whole thing was tailor-made for baby boomers
Posted: Apr 8, 2012 9:34 pm | Edited by: Seamus

Patti Smith.

The very definition of overrated.

Did that self absorbed billygoat get into the Rolling Stone hall of fame?
...because her whole thing was tailor-made for baby boomers

Thank you. I never understood the esteem in which her shit was held. Fucking expendable and forgetable on all levels.
Posted: Apr 9, 2012 8:44 am

What I don't get is why Patti Smith apparently didn't write the majority of the songs on her new record.

When did she go all Elvis?
Posted: Apr 29, 2012 2:04 am

Lou Reed
Posted: Apr 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Van Halen.

Nonsense.

DLR-era VH is more often then not underrated
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®